Everyone wants to be a photographer

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
I just wanted to share an observation that everyone wants to be a photographer. At least it seems that way to me.

I have a neighbor who is mad on horses I talked to her a few days back and she now wants to be a photographer.

I know a girl who was training to be a solicitor next thing I know she wants to be a photographer.

My brother who has been a builder for years and years and had his own building firm now has bought thousands of pounds of photography equipment and stopped his building work.

I go to photograph a wedding and see a beautiful bridesmaid and then from behind her back out pops a huge DSLR and guess what...

She want to be a photographer......

Don't get me wrong I am all for people learning and enjoying photography but it just seems recently EVERYONE wants to do it. Years ago when I first started photography using a 35mm film camera hardly anyone was interested in it. Is it because its more accessible now or that people enjoy seeing instant results now with digital or is it as I think because of mobile phones and people use the cameras on the phones and think... this is easy I want to do more of this..

Just wanted peoples thoughts........

I think instagram has got a lot of people thinking they're great photographers.

Take any old cr4p, run it through instagram, desaturate and apply sepia. I see it every day on Facebook, I even get people asking me what effects I used on my images and also suggesting effects I should use to make it look "cool"....... :bang:

Last edited:
Kodak started making photography more accessible more than one hundred years ago with their slogan "you press the button, we do the rest" and it becomes progressively more accessible as time goes on.

What was once the preserve of a professional with equipment not many could obtain is now very easy to get into by anyone with a few ponds to spend.

Steve.

Last edited:
I guess a lot of people get a phone/compact/entry level DSLR, take a few shots in focus, show friends/relatives/social media sites, and all the praise equals a belief that it's money for old rope. Also take into consideration that there are no qualifications to gain, and anyone can start up a website, and Bob's your wedding photographer.(y)

Kodak started making photography more accessible more than one hundred years ago with their slogan "you press the button, we do the rest" and it becomes progressively more accessible as time goes on.

What was once the preserve of a professional with equipment not many could obtain is now very easy to get into by anyone with a few ponds to spend.

Steve.

Yeah it has been progressively getting more popular and good to as this drives new innovation in cameras etc. But it just seems in the last 10 years or less that people have woke up and thought "Today I'm going to be a photographer"

At the moment I treat this as humorous but of course long term it wont be when there are hundreds of 'photographers' on every street it wont be much of a business idea then :thinking:

take into consideration that there are no qualifications to gain, and anyone can start up a website, and Bob's your wedding photographer.

Which in my opinion, is the way it should be. Let a person's competence and the market decide if he remains in business rather some closed shop, qualified only business practice.

when there are hundreds of 'photographers' on every street it wont be much of a business idea then

That's the way business works. You need to find not only a gap in the market, but also a market in the gap. i.e. you need to provide something which people will pay for. If people start doing things themselves which previously they paid someone to do, then that business will disappear and you will need to find something else to do. You might not like that and wish for things to remain static - but they don't.

But it just seems in the last 10 years or less that people have woke up and thought "Today I'm going to be a photographer"

I was first aware of people doing that in the late 1970s with 35mm SLRs - and I'm sure people were thinking that way before then too.

And what is the distinction between someone thinking "I'm going to be a photographer" and a 'real' photographer? Surely the thought process is identical as there is no difference. Obviously from your website link, you make money from photography. At some point in your life you also thought "I'm going to be a photographer".

Steve.

Last edited:
I guess a lot of people get a phone/compact/entry level DSLR, take a few shots in focus, show friends/relatives/social media sites, and all the praise equals a belief that it's money for old rope. Also take into consideration that there are no qualifications to gain, and anyone can start up a website, and Bob's your wedding photographer.(y)

I reckon you have it bang on there..... (y)

I tried that on my phone after hearing people rave about it and could not understand what all the fuss was about.... a few daft filters and effects :shrug:

I know, but unfortunately these effects have become socially desirable. Sheeple will always repeat behaviour that has been socially reinforced/rewarded, so photography seems like a logical step.

I know, but unfortunately these effects have become socially desirable. Sheeple will always repeat behaviour that has been socially reinforced/rewarded, so photography seems like a logical step.

Yeah true so facebook does have a BIG impact on people wanting to be a full time photographer

Don't really see what the problem is to be honest.

Photography is more popular than it has possibly ever been, superb.

Not only will the manufacturers invest more in R&D they will also have to keep the margins down to stay competitive.

A good professional photographer will always make money as people will always pay a premium for a high level of service. The more your average Joe learns about photography the better, as it will give them a better understanding of what it takes to produce a wonderful image.

As for people wanting to become a professional I don't really see a problem with that either. The more people that do, the more the pro's that are excellent at what they do will stand out.

Hopefully the surge in people's interest in photography will help stem the long standing pro's who charge a small fortune while providing a very basic level of service. I can think of a few long standing professional wedding photographers local to me who have made a lot of money over several years from photography, yet produce work that to be honest I reckon my 7 year old could compete with. These are the same guys that tear their hair out because of the hundreds of people advertising wedding photography at some times a third of what they charge. They have been leaching of the gravy train for long enough. As with any business the more competitive it is the better for the customer.

Professional photographers by now I am sure have realised that the service they provide is no longer a niche product. Long may it continue, the guys that have been basically taking the **** for years will have to drop their prices to compete or fall by the wayside.

At the moment I treat this as humorous but of course long term it wont be when there are hundreds of 'photographers' on every street it wont be much of a business idea then :thinking:

They'll still be crap compared to those who are serious about it. So what? I remember this debate around 1987 when AF started to become popular.. and again around 2002 when digital started to become popular. It's happening again now due to social media

A crap photo is still a crap photo.

Non issue.

Professional photographers by now I am sure have realised that the service they provide is no longer a niche product. Long may it continue, the guys that have been basically taking the **** for years will have to drop their prices to compete or fall by the wayside.

GOOD photography will still be a niche product though.

Last edited:
Like I said more interest in photography is good as it drives innovation with equipment technique etc and I was not saying that was a problem.

My only concern was the possibility of the market becoming so saturated with 'photographers' that it becomes almost impossible to make it viable no matter how skilled you are. Not many of us can compete with the 'I'll do it for £100' brigade

They'll still be crap compared to those who are serious about it. So what? I remember this debate around 1987 when AF started to become popular.. and again around 2002 when digital started to become popular. It's happening again now due to social media

A crap photo is still a crap photo.

Non issue.

GOOD photography will still be a niche product though.

"A crap photo is still a crap photo" :clap: I like that.. very true

Like I said more interest in photography is good as it drives innovation with equipment technique etc and I was not saying that was a problem.

My only concern was the possibility of the market becoming so saturated with 'photographers' that it becomes almost impossible to make it viable no matter how skilled you are. Not many of us can compete with the 'I'll do it for £100' brigade

You don't need too.

If you work is of a high enough calibre customers will pay what they need to for it. If your work is only as good as the guy who charges £100 then that is a different matter.

For example look at Apple, or any premium product, they can overcharge by the thousands and yet look how popular their equipment is. Apple operate at a higher margin percentage than any other company that makes I.T equipment yet people pay the difference because of the level of service they receive and how they market themselves.

Nonsense. How is it not viable despite how skilled you are? If you are skilled, talented, creative and innovative, then your images will stand out from everyone else's, and will command a higher price.

There will always be people who will buy a Chevrolet (Daewoo... you're not fooling anyone) Matiz. They don't care... they just want a box that moves. There will always be people who want a Aston Martin.

If you're good, you can compete with the Astons... if you're crap, you're going up against Daewoo.

Become less crap.

Nonsense. How is it not viable despite how skilled you are? If you are skilled, talented, creative and innovative, then your images will stand out from everyone else's, and will command a higher price.

There will always be people who will buy a Chevrolet (Daewoo... you're not fooling anyone) Matiz. They don't care... they just want a box that moves. There will always be people who want a Aston Martin.

If you're good, you can compete with the Astons... if you're crap, you're going up against Daewoo.

Become less crap.

(y)

You don't need too.

If you work is of a high enough calibre customers will pay what they need to for it. If your work is only as good as the guy who charges £100 then that is a different matter.

For example look at Apple, or any premium product, they can overcharge by the thousands and yet look how popular their equipment is. Apple operate at a higher margin percentage than any other company that makes I.T equipment yet people pay the difference because of the level of service they receive and how they market themselves.

Become less crap.

Yeah fair comments I can see where you are coming from, and I of course do hope my work stands on its own but I suppose in this world (at the moment) with people watching EVERY PENNY I worry people will put the money over the quality and go for any photographer in the crowd of photographers and people like you and I will be lost in there somewhere

Yeah fair comments I can see where you are coming from, and I of course do hope my work stands on its own but I suppose in this world (at the moment) with people watching EVERY PENNY I worry people will put the money over the quality and go for any photographer in the crowd of photographers and people like you and I will be lost in there somewhere

If I was you the way I would look at it is that in all likelihood the people that can only afford to pay £100, if that option was not available would be doing without so you are not not losing business anyway.

Nonsense. How is it not viable despite how skilled you are? If you are skilled, talented, creative and innovative, then your images will stand out from everyone else's, and will command a higher price..

Whilst this is true, those who can command the higher prices will diminish in numbers over time.

There is not the market to sustain a large quantity of skilled, talented, creative and innovative photographers.

Steve.

Same happened in IT, people won't pay because they think "if I want my computer fixed, I'll as an 8 year old".

Totally agree with soda.

It's where the worlds at now, digital media has opened up opportunities to everyone that wants them, children learn this stuff and have access from a much you get age.prices have drop and more people have disposable income.

The only people that seem bothered are a % of professional photographer.. Is this due to un security's in there own work or seeing that a large no. of people can produce work as good or better and that many of them are very young or haven't as much experiance.

Yes there are lots of people now calling them self professionals ,include on here that produce work that's truly terrible in my eyes,but if some ones prepared to pay them for it good for them.
I see a lot of work from amatures that surpasses that of many pro's all over the web but you don't hear them co plain about the no. Of photographers about.

If your a truly good photographer you should have nothing to worry about as people will pay the extra for you and your work over the cheaper options, unless your one of the not so skilled photographers going for the bottom off the line clients already, then alls fair game.

You don't see the truly skilled and high payed photographers moan about this do you,a lot even train the under skilled, allowing them to join the market.

Whilst this is true, those who can command the higher prices will diminish in numbers over time.

There is not the market to sustain a large quantity of skilled, talented, creative and innovative photographers.

Steve.

There never has been. The best survive... the rest don't. Nothing new there. There are millions of bands, and everyone wants to be a rock star... Music hasn't died... oh hang on.... (Simon Cowell... b****x)... my point still stands though :)

Last edited:
look at Apple, or any premium product, they can overcharge by the thousands and yet look how popular their equipment is. Apple operate at a higher margin percentage than any other company that makes I.T equipment yet people pay the difference because of the level of service they receive and how they market themselves.

Apple are successful because they're fashionable.

Apple are successful because they're fashionable.

And why is that?

It's because of how they market themselves and the high level of service they provide from when you make a purchase to when things go wrong.

And why is that?

It's because of how they market themselves and the high level of service they provide from when you make a purchase to when things go wrong.

Yeah but people also buy them because they are seen to be cool to... not by all but a lot do

I remember when I worked in Game and there was some good headphones we just got in. One of the lads (who loved his apple gear) tried them and said they were excellent and better than his apple ones. I told this to a customer who was after some earphones and her reply was.

I don't care if they are better I will only buy apple stuff......

Last edited:
There never has been. The best survive... the rest don't. Nothing new there. There are millions of bands, and everyone wants to be a rock star... Music hasn't died... oh hang on.... (Simon Cowell... b****x)... my point still stands though :)

Music might not be the best comparison. It might not have died but an awful lot of "successful" releases are just low quality, well-marketed carp. The public don't care about the poor quality though, it's temporary - they'll replace it with another song soon enough.

Last edited:
Music might not be the best comparison. It might not have died but an awful lot of "successful" releases are just low quality, well-marketed carp. The public don't care about the poor quality though, it's temporary - they'll replace it with another song soon enough.

The lowest common denominator might... still tons of good quality bands out there, and still charting though. There's always been pop pap! Always... there'll always be crap photography... there will also be great photography.

Don't worry.

And why is that?

They have a social reputation which they don't really deserve, just like the VW Golf, a car that was reliable once upon a time in the mid 1980's.

They have a social reputation which they don't really deserve, just like the VW Golf, a car that was reliable once upon a time in the mid 80's.

I disagree I work for one of the largest I.T re-sellers and retailers in the U.K. One of our departments gets a quarterly report that shows by percentage hardware failures in the first 3 months of purchase, first 6 months of purchase, first 12 months of purchase and within the first 3 years of purchase. Apple have and always have been bottom of the list, by a considerable amount. The report is percentage based so number of units has no effect. Even if if units were taken into consideration Apple make up for nearly 50% of desktops/laptops over the 1k category.

So in short you are wrong basically. :D

I am no Apple fanboy by the way I detest how they do things.

Last edited:
Totally agree with soda.

It's where the worlds at now, digital media has opened up opportunities to everyone that wants them, children learn this stuff and have access from a much you get age.prices have drop and more people have disposable income.

The only people that seem bothered are a % of professional photographer.. Is this due to un security's in there own work or seeing that a large no. of people can produce work as good or better and that many of them are very young or haven't as much experiance.

Yes there are lots of people now calling them self professionals ,include on here that produce work that's truly terrible in my eyes,but if some ones prepared to pay them for it good for them.
I see a lot of work from amatures that surpasses that of many pro's all over the web but you don't hear them co plain about the no. Of photographers about.

If your a truly good photographer you should have nothing to worry about as people will pay the extra for you and your work over the cheaper options, unless your one of the not so skilled photographers going for the bottom off the line clients already, then alls fair game.

You don't see the truly skilled and high payed photographers moan about this do you,a lot even train the under skilled, allowing them to join the market.

My point exactly.

I can give a good example. I have seen one local professional who has been in the game for over 20 years and has a list of qualifications as long as your arm comment a few times about the "I will do it for £100 crowd."

Yet this same guy regularly uses another guy an amateur as a second shooter. The level of work that this particular pro produces is pretty mediocre and in the main on the verge of being poor, yet he charges over 1k for a very basic wedding package. The second shooter he uses is a much better photographer, no doubt by a country mile. The pro cleverly makes his second shooter remove all the copyright information from his images. Anyone that buys the images from him have no idea that he didn't take them. In terms of business nuance the pro is pretty good and knows how to attract customers however the images he produces even in my humble opinion are pretty poor.

This particular pro is one of the one's that will get caught out eventually because when people see the standard of work produced elsewhere there is no comparison. This particular pro produces work that in the main is not as good as the "I will do it for £100 crowd" so it's hardly a bit of wonder he has concerns.

On the other hand a guy I know through work has had to dramatically increase his prices due to the amount of work he has been getting. The standard of his work is superb. He started only a couple of years ago as one of the "I will do it for £100 crowd" He now earns more money by doing less work but by charging more for each job.

Last edited:
Back