Eyam - The Plague Village

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
Yes
An image taken between heavy showers on my first visit to the beautiful village of Eyam in Derbyshire.

The village of Eyam is well noted for an outbreak of bubonic plague which occurred there in 1665, in which the villagers chose to isolate themselves rather than let the infection spread. The present village was founded and named by Anglo-Saxons, although lead had been mined in the area by the Romans. Formerly industrial, its economy now relies on the tourist trade and it is promoted as 'the plague village'.

After The Rain by Mike Swain, on Flickr

Impressive and somewhat spooky rendition!
Very cool take, Mike! (y)

Loving that, really fits the mood of what happened there.

Thanks for all the kind words, really appreciated.

Kodiak, although most Derbyshire kids were taught about the village in school and all the problems the people had experienced, it wasn't until recently that I first visited Eyam. It's a really great place to visit but it is also a strange one too. There is an atmosphere around the village, the church and cottages, something that I just can't explain. For a photographer there are so many opportunities but even if you're not carrying a camera it's still worth a visit.

Stayed there a couple of years ago when we went to photograph the L'Eroica Britannia Cycle Race ... interesting history of the unselfishness of the village in containing the epidemic ... the records show how many were struck with the plague but also the 'illogical' non-effect on some. There was an annual 'play' put on by the village the week we were there but not on the nights we stayed.

Thanks for all the kind words, really appreciated.

Kodiak, although most Derbyshire kids were taught about the village in school and all the problems the people had experienced, it wasn't until recently that I first visited Eyam. It's a really great place to visit but it is also a strange one too. There is an atmosphere around the village, the church and cottages, something that I just can't explain. For a photographer there are so many opportunities but even if you're not carrying a camera it's still worth a visit.

I've read about Eyam but never been there. I'll go one of these days though. One question, if you don't mind? Do you think you'd still sense an 'atmosphere' if you didn't know any of the history? This sort of thing interests me.

I've read about Eyam but never been there. I'll go one of these days though. One question, if you don't mind? Do you think you'd still sense an 'atmosphere' if you didn't know any of the history? This sort of thing interests me.

The only 'atmosphere' I got was when SWMBO realised I was going to be out togging all day! :D
(We had just had two weeks hols mine).

Not really sure Martyn but I'm sure knowing about the history of the village certainly was in my head walking around. There is another area just outside of the village called Riley's Graves, where Elizabeth Hancock buried her husband and six children within eight days of one another but somehow never became infected by the deadly illness herself. The graves are surrounded by a walled enclosure. For me it was even stronger there.

Last edited:
Very nice, PP is good, (y)

Thanks Norkie. Really appreciate the kind words.

very nicely done - like the PP very much too.

Not totally sure about the grave stone that dominates the left hand side but it does work !

Conscious of the horrific story of the plague and the unselfish bravery of the Eyam people, I think this is a very fitting image.
I think the sombre clouds and graveyard show the inevitability of the situation, whereas the church shows the hope.
It's an image where the photographer could stand up at our Club and describe the reasons why it's portrayed that way.
Sometimes the good is shown in the worst of times; a picture certainly to be displayed to tell this story.

I really like the processing on this as it gives an almost 3d effect, especially the tall tree in the centre.

The photograph is alive. Its wonderful. I could actually be there.
In simple terms, how do you post process this to such wonderful effect?

I have Elements 9 but nowhere can I find how to produce such stunning images other than the very basics. Its how you apply it I suppose. Which is where I need help.

Love it.
Cheers
Alan

Thanks for all the kind word Alan, really appreciated.

Sorry to sound so boring and unhelpful but everything was all done Lightroom and then over into Photoshop to add a few darker patches in the bottom right hand corner with the Burn tool. I'm sure this too could have been done in Lightroom but I find it easier in Photoshop. One thing I did try to do was highlight a focal point, which for me was the church and for this I used the Radial Filter and increased the exposure a little.

There are so many really good Lightroom tutorials on YT and that's where I spend a lot of time. Even if you can only pick up an odd tip from each of the tutorials, it goes a long way to helping.

Last edited:
Back