F&C Local meetup - Smallwood Vintage Rally (26/5/18) Ready for pictures !

Which date(s) would suit you?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

As for busses, it's pretty much in the middle of the countryside so it's probably not on any sort of direct bus route, and it's about a 20 minute car journey from Crewe station, so a taxi would probably cost a few quid.

A few in this case being about £15.50 (based on local authority rank rates)

Given the roadworks and weekend traffic I'd bet it would end up being nearer £20, depending which route the cabbie chooses. Anyway, if he can get to Crewe by about 1.30 the issue shouldn't arise. :)

If you can get to Crewe but it's too late for @Mr Badger then we might be able to pick you up and take you to Smallwood. @Andysnap works just up the road from the station and he's finishing his shift at about 1pm I think. I'm picking him up so, by the time he's faffed around, we'll be passing the station around 1.15 - 1.30 ish. Would that suit you better?
I'd be OK to pick @ChrisR up from the station until about 1pm, I'd prefer to get to Smallwood around 1pm really, but as most people don't seem to be getting there until about 1.30 - 2pm then it's not going to be a deal breaker. Would you like me to PM you my mobile phone number Chris, and you can let me know in the morning what your plans are? Don't phone before 9am though as I'm planning on a lazy start to the day! :D

As for busses, it's pretty much in the middle of the countryside so it's probably not on any sort of direct bus route, and it's about a 20 minute car journey from Crewe station, so a taxi would probably cost a few quid.

Thanks both. I have the Snaps' mobile numbers from pervious trips, and I'll PM you mine, Mr B. Still not sure how it's going to go!

@ChrisR Our mobile numbers haven't changed recently so just drop a text to one of us, preferably before 1pm, if you want picking up.

OK, decision made, I'm going Olympus today. OM2n as main - Mju V point and shoot as back up. Both now loaded with my dwindling stock of Poundland Agfa Vista. (A mini digi Canon may hide in the bag for <ahem> video). Changing bag, film retriever, light meter and misc batteries in the photo-emergency bag in the car.

FYI I'm the long haired chap in blue jeans and blue check shirt and white cricket hat - though there may be a few that look like that.

I'll be using the last few shots in the minox clone then I've got the Olympus XA2 today. Decided I can't be bothered with anything that doesn't fit in a pocket!

Mr Snap is going to try out his baby Rollei today. I'm testing the contax again now that he's replaced the light seals.

And sadly I didn't make the last suitable train. Have a great day, folks!

Found the beer tent. <hic> and eyeing up the venison burger stall. That can wait while I snap some wheels!!!!
Wheels... :(

( I also missed the post for Filmdev today so it'll all be a bit of a rush next week. First set of wheels photos were out of focus!)

You still in the beer tent? Lol

Damn. Felt sleepy after lunch and I've only just woken up. :oops: :$ Enjoy the beer tent :beer:

Gutted I couldn't make this :-( hope you had a great day - weather has been kind as I'm stuck at work :-(

Well, we got some great photos of the inside of that beer tent! :D Only joking, we did finally leave and look round the show. It was great to meet up with everyone and share some banter and look at the different cameras we'd all brought along. It was good to meet @sirch and @Knikki for the first time too and I hope they enjoyed the meet and the show as much as I did.

Bit overcast and flat weather-wise to start with (hence us nursing a pint in the beer tent) but then the sun burned through the cloud and the lighting improved. Some of the group seemed to be rather obsessed with taking photos of wheels though... can't think why! Anyway, here's to the next outing to the Black Country Living Museum in a few weeks time. (y)

Bit overcast and flat weather-wise to start with (hence us nursing a pint in the beer tent)
I knew there was a reason for enduring the hardships of the beer tent :D

Had a great day, really good to meet everyone (y) But now I've got to buy more cameras :eek: :help:

It was good fun and finally but some faces to names :)

Will send my films off on Tuesday hopefully get them back week after, scan em and upload any, thats if they turn out ok and I remembered how to use the P67 :confused: :ROFLMAO:

Two rolls of colour from Saturday dev'd and drying. If I ever use the POP9 in a beer tent again remind me to use the flash, (maybe salvageable) and not an old roll of Truprint - but hey it is a lomography camera. Oh and I have some wheels on the roll from the OM2n. Phew!

Was that the gold coloured object you pulled out your pocket and pointed at me?

Must admit I thought you had pinched Mrs Snaps powder compact :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Did wonder what it was :)

Was that the gold coloured object you pulled out your pocket and pointed at me?

Must admit I thought you had pinched Mrs Snaps powder compact [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Did wonder what it was :)
Perhaps I need to bling it up with a few sequins.

and the other film looks OK - and wheels a plenty
IMG_0907nvs.jpg

Last edited:
So here's some from me, Yashika Electro with Agfa APX which I have never used before but I quite like the look of. Had a bit of moment when I couldn't find a development time in HC 110, even massive dev chart is a bit thin on the subject, so decided to just go for my usual 7 minutes 30 seconds. Then I managed to put the stop in before the developer but quickly poured that out, gave it a wash and it seems to have done no harm.

Smallwood Vintage Rally by Chris H, on Flickr

Well, it looks like the curse of the F&C meet up has struck again! The good news is that the film actually wound on OK this time... the not so good news is that it didn't bloody well re-wind! :banghead:

I finished the last couple of shot off yesterday and the camera made all the right rewinding noises and the 'rewound' indicator showed in the LCD window. Luckily I'd gone back indoors and only partially opened the camera back and spotted some film shining just beyond the cassette and closed the back immediately. I was very glad of the changing bag that @dmb had kindly given me on Saturday, and using that confirmed that the film hadn't rewound at all! So, after rewinding it manually it's been sent it off to AG Photolab (together with the roll of 120 from the Ensign Selfix), but whether anything will have survived remains to be seen. At best I suspect I'll have lost the last 6 or so shots and the rest will have something of a Lomo look to it, so I decided not to bother going for a hi-res scan as planned! :(

I've put several films through that EOS 30 before and never had a problem. I've loaded another film in it and it wound on to the start and showed no sings of playing up. I think I'll run the film through it at 1/4000 sec with the lens cap on and see if it rewinds OK this time, then open the camera in the changing bag for the next few times until I regain my confidence in it, or find a definite fault.

A book is now being opened on what 35mm film related disaster will befall the badger at the next F&C meet... we've had not winding on, we've had not rewinding, so that pretty much only leaves the film breaking in the middle now! That's if I even bother turning up. :sulk:

Last edited:
That reminds me to put my other spare changing bag in the photo emergency bag in the car. Now @Mr Badger we will all start getting 35mm paranoia.

I think I'll have to stick to 120 folding cameras, at least I can see the film moving through the little red window on the back! Talking of putting things in cars, I've found that camera strap for you and put it in the car ready for next time we meet. (y)

Sorry to hear that @Mr Badger, I'm always a bit nervous about the motorised wind/rewind, there is no nice mechanical feedback that you get with hand-cranked cameras.

It's OK Chris, I'm getting used to it! :facepalm: It's the first (and hopefully the last) time I've had a problem with auto wind/rewind, so I can't really complain. I've just checked and it's a fault with the camera, it's not rewinding anymore, so it's going to have to pay a visit to its Uncle Miles. It's otherwise fine and in nice condition, so I may as well get it fixed rather than spend money on a replacement that could come with a different fault. Such is life with older cameras.

It's OK Chris, I'm getting used to it! :facepalm: It's the first (and hopefully the last) time I've had a problem with auto wind/rewind, so I can't really complain. I've just checked and it's a fault with the camera, it's not rewinding anymore, so it's going to have to pay a visit to its Uncle Miles. It's otherwise fine and in nice condition, so I may as well get it fixed rather than spend money on a replacement that could come with a different fault. Such is life with older cameras.

Wouldn't have happened if it had been a Nikon! :exit:

No need to send it for a CLA - just grind Can*n of the pentaprism and write Nikon on it with a white pen - Karma will be restored and it will work perfectly :)

Last edited:
A book is now being opened on what 35mm film related disaster will befall the badger at the next F&C meet... we've had not winding on, we've had not rewinding, so that pretty much only leaves the film breaking in the middle now!

My Pentax ME winds on fine for 2/3 of the film, then gets progressively harder and eventually tears the sprocket holes, after overlapping a few frames. There's plenty more ways for the gremlins to get you yet!

My Pentax ME winds on fine for 2/3 of the film, then gets progressively harder and eventually tears the sprocket holes, after overlapping a few frames. There's plenty more ways for the gremlins to get you yet!
Thanks for those few kind words! :runaway:

Luckily I got away with it; only losing the last three shots and flaring a couple of others, only one of which was from Smallwood (possibly a slight loss of contrast on the others, but that might just be that my scanner needs cleaning!) so I have a few to share:

First off the flare victim, which kind of adds to the vintage 1950s look:

Farmall tractor (with an ironic warning to the photographer in the bottom right-hand corner!)
[URL='https://flic.kr/p/27HD5NB'][/URL]
[URL='https://flic.kr/p/27HD5MV'][URL='https://flic.kr/p/27HD5MV']
Riley car
[URL='https://flic.kr/p/27HD5PD'][/URL][/URL][/URL]

Last edited:
Looks like I can't add more shots to the above thread without it corrupting the HTML, so here's the rest separately!

A bit of fun with a wooden eagle!

And finally, one from a 1950 Ensign Selfix 16/20. I'm going to have to work out where the edges of the frame are in relation to what's showing in the viewfinder as I thought I'd framed this quite tightly but ended up cropping half the negative away to get the shot I wanted!

Well, nothing particularly special there, but at least I arrived home with a few photos this time! :)

Last edited:
Back