F&C Local meetup - Smallwood Vintage Rally (26/5/18) Ready for pictures !

Which date(s) would suit you?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Weather dependent maybe as usual from me :) I've got a minolta 20mm that probably needs an outing to this.

The event is on over 3 days, so perhaps a straw-poll to find the most popular couple of days then see what the weather forecast is like, then pick the best day where most people can attend? I could potentially make any of the 3 days, so I'll leave the choice to others. :) If it's a wet weekend then we can always give it a miss. It would be nice to see some of the 'new' F&C locals there too, perhaps @Fraser Euan White might be interested?

Thanks for the invite :) I was only thinking how much I would love to come along to one of these meets - I'll check my diary but at the moment only the 28th is a possibility.

Thanks again

Fraser

I'd certainly be interested, but can't commit at this stage, life's too fluid at the moment... (by which I mean, I haven't a clue what's going on/is going to be planned for me!)

We're interested but it's dependant on Mr Snap's shifts which haven't been announced yet. Same for Black Country Living Museum .

Added a poll for dates. Up for 7 days. (Closes 11th May) - As has been said this all is Weather Permitting. - When we have an idea of which day then we can decide when and where to meet up and exchange contact details.

Is it possible to get there by train (and bus if necessary)? That would be from Coventry for me...

Is it possible to get there by train (and bus if necessary)? That would be from Coventry for me...
@ChrisR I could meet you at Crewe station and give you a lift if you like, Chris, then drop you off there on the way home? I've got to drive past the station anyway, so it wouldn't be out of my way.

Last edited:
@ChrisR Smallwood is literally in the middle of nowhere! A lift from Crewe station is the best option for you, if the trains are running on the bank holiday weekend :rolleyes:

We'll vote once we know which day(s) @Andysnap is working.

Last edited:
I could meet you at Crewe station and give you a lift if you like, Chris, then drop you off there on the way home? I've got to drive past the station anyway, so it wouldn't be out of my way.

FYI Google Maps shows just how out of the way Smallwood is - and the satellite image was taken during the setup for a Rally . https://goo.gl/maps/Qp6rKnKeArj

@ChrisR Smallwood is literally in the middle of nowhere! A lift from Crewe station is the best option for you, if the trains are running on the bank holiday weekend :rolleyes:

We'll vote once we know which day(s) @Andysnap is working.
You and Andy are welcome to a lift too if the dates and times fit in with you both. (y) As is @dmb if he's anywhere near on route to Smallwood from Nantwich via Crewe Station and the dates and times fit OK for us all?

You and Andy are welcome to a lift too if the dates and times fit in with you both. (y) As is @dmb if he's anywhere near on route to Smallwood from Nantwich via Crewe Station and the dates and times fit OK for us all?

Thanks for the offer Mr B... do you drive a bus? :)

Timing might be an issue, and as Janet says the availability of trains on Bank Holiday weekends is not perfect...

(Would there be time enough to get a roll off to Filmdev and entered in the FPOTY? Some nice big wheels will be there! :) )

Thanks for the offer Mr B... do you drive a bus? :)

Similar, it's a Land Rover Discovery so I can convert it into a 7 seater if required. :) As for times, the rally events don't start till 10am and I think last year we got there about noonish and left about 5pm? The only difference being the Monday, when the exhibitors tend to start packing away and leaving from early afternoon onwards (I don't blame them, as many of them will have been there since Friday in whatever weather they get - freeze, drown or roast!), so a 10am start would probably be best if people choose to go on the Monday. It would take me about 15 mins to leave home and get to the station (and about 15 mins from there to get to Smallwood), so if you phone me when you arrive I could pick you up from outside the station. Before I set off I could phone Mr & Mrs Snap (and anyone else who I'm supposed to give a lift to) and let them know my ETA, and Thunderbirds are go as they used to say! (y)

As for a 'wheels' photo opportunity, I'd weighed that up already and decided there wasn't much hope unless you develop and scan your own films! However, there may well be some other FPOTY topic opportunities there, depending on interpretation and shoehorn dexterity! Let's just hope 'wet' doesn't apply to the weather or I doubt any of us will be going! :whistle:

Thanks for the offer @Mr Badger but we'll probably make our own way there.

He's working on the Saturday until early afternoon so we could get to the rally about 2.30pm. He's not working on the Sunday. Monday's shifts won't be announced until sometime next week.

@ChrisR check the National Rail website. Some of the trains are looking ok that weekend. Change trains at Rugby rather than Birmingham and it should be fine.

Thanks for the offer @Mr Badger but we'll probably make our own way there.

He's working on the Saturday until early afternoon so we could get to the rally about 2.30pm. He's not working on the Sunday. Monday's shifts won't be announced until sometime next week.

@ChrisR check the National Rail website. Some of the trains are looking ok that weekend. Change trains at Rugby rather than Birmingham and it should be fine.

Looks like Sunday is a problem either from Coventry or Warwick Parkway, but Saturday or Monday are ok. I'll vote accordingly...

I might be able to make it.

You're welcome to a lift too, Nick, if you want to go by train and can get to Crewe around the same time (and day!) as Chris?

No problem @Mrs Snap, whatever day we go I hope the weather is like it is today. :)
Thanks (y)

(Would there be time enough to get a roll off to Filmdev and entered in the FPOTY? Some nice big wheels will be there! :) )

I reckon that if you post the film first-class on Tuesday you'll have the scans by Thursday 31st.....(y)
....probably..... :whistle:

So, Saturday looks favourite, with the only fly in the ointment being a late arrival for @Andysnap and @Mrs Snap. I would suggest that we look at a late morning/lunch time meet up and meet up with the Snaps when they can make it. All this being weather permitting. If we see what the Met Office say on Wed 23rd to make sure that we will not need kayaks. I'll probably make my own way there as not far from me and then anyone who wants to take up @Mr Badger on his offer of lifts from station etc. can contact him.

Unfortunately I am working Saturday so will have to wait for another time to meet up.

Hope everyone enjoys the day - I may well still go on the Monday.

Just realised this is next weekend, how the weeks fly! The advanced forecast says breezy with sunny intervals, which sounds good. :) So who's attending and would Chris and Nick like collecting from Crewe Station, if so, what time would you like your carriage to arrive?

Unfortunately I am working Saturday so will have to wait for another time to meet up.

Hope everyone enjoys the day - I may well still go on the Monday.

I'm sorry you can't make it Fraser, you'll have to try for the trip to the Black Country Living Museum instead. If you do go to Smallwood on the Monday then aim to get there fairly early as quite a few exhibitors seem to start packing up ready to leave from mid-afternoon onwards.(y)

Last edited:
We can be there for 2 I think, my shift starts an hour earlier now so I finish earlier as well.

@Mr Badger What sort of time are you thinking of leaving Crewe?

@Mr Badger What sort of time are you thinking of leaving Crewe?

It's the sort of show that a good half day should cover, so I'm happy to fall in with you and @ChrisR if you want to have a look at the (revised!) train timetables and suggest some ETAs?

If you're both planning on attending and one of you gets there before the other there's a bar and a couple of coffee places at the station, so you could always get a drink and wait there until the other one arrives? Any time from around 10am to noonish would be fine for me, so chat amongst yourselves and let me know. :)

Last edited:
The forecast for this Saturday doesn't look too bad (sunny intervals and breezy) so who's attending then?

The forecast for this Saturday doesn't look too bad (sunny intervals and breezy) so who's attending then?
I'll be making my own way. Probably arriving at site about noon. Will drop I.M.s to attendees with my mobile to help meeting up.

Sorry folks, I wont be able to make it after all, work has once again reared its ugly but financially rewarding head. Hope you all have a great time and get plenty of "wheely" good shots ;)

Sorry folks, I wont be able to make it after all, work has once again reared its ugly but financially rewarding head. Hope you all have a great time and get plenty of "wheely" good shots ;)
Sorry you can't make it Nick, hopefully we'll see you at the Black Country meet again? What about you @ChrisR , are you going to join us up in sunny Cheshire?

Oh and if anyone has any film left there is a Steampunk fair on in Crewe itself that weekend.

Sorry you can't make it Nick, hopefully we'll see you at the Black Country meet again? What about you @ChrisR , are you going to join us up in sunny Cheshire?

Beginning to look like I can't make it, sadly. Some things to do around the time I would have to leave (they've closed the Coventry-Brimingham line this weekend, so it's via Rugby!). If it does become possible, is it close enough to Crewe for a reasonable taxi fare? Or buses?

Beginning to look like I can't make it, sadly. Some things to do around the time I would have to leave (they've closed the Coventry-Brimingham line this weekend, so it's via Rugby!). If it does become possible, is it close enough to Crewe for a reasonable taxi fare? Or buses?

If you can get to Crewe but it's too late for @Mr Badger then we might be able to pick you up and take you to Smallwood. @Andysnap works just up the road from the station and he's finishing his shift at about 1pm I think. I'm picking him up so, by the time he's faffed around, we'll be passing the station around 1.15 - 1.30 ish. Would that suit you better?

Last edited:
I'd be OK to pick @ChrisR up from the station until about 1pm, I'd prefer to get to Smallwood around 1pm really, but as most people don't seem to be getting there until about 1.30 - 2pm then it's not going to be a deal breaker. Would you like me to PM you my mobile phone number Chris, and you can let me know in the morning what your plans are? Don't phone before 9am though as I'm planning on a lazy start to the day! :D

As for busses, it's pretty much in the middle of the countryside so it's probably not on any sort of direct bus route, and it's about a 20 minute car journey from Crewe station, so a taxi would probably cost a few quid.

Last edited:
Back