F&C meet up 18th May 2024

sirch

Lu-Tze
Admin
Name
The other Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Chatting to @StephenM yesterday evening brought back memories of Onich and whilst @dmb has done a sterling job over the last few years of getting people together at the Smallwood Vintage Rally it feels like time for another longer get-together, is anyone interested in an F&C weekend or longer?

As always with these things it is hard to pin anything down so here are a few thoughts:
  • The Peak District is fairly central with plenty to photograph
  • Castleton has a reasonable number of accommodation options including Losehill Hall YHA
  • Perhaps out of season some time next year mid May or early June
I know it would be good if we all stayed in the same accommodation (and that might be possible at Losehill Hall for example) but the logisitcs around that are quite complex so my thinking is that having everyone book their own accommodation somewhere that offers a range of options from camping to hotels is a good compromise.

Thoughts please?

I'd be up for spending a day with you guys. Can't do overnight due to circumstance, but can get to the Peak District in a couple of hours, so would definitely come visit for a day.

Definitely interested, and as we're retired we can be flexible on dates. The Peak district isn't that far from us in the grand scheme of things, but neither is anywhere in Yorkshire.

I'd like to do this, although there's a chance we might move house beforehand if it's not until next year's spring, which would make it not possible. However I'll monitor the thread and join in if I can, for a weekend of filmie stuff.

I have set a watch on the thread, a film orientated weekend away sounds good as open countryside and landscape is well out of my comfort zone it would be something a little different.

Day visit for me too I'd think. Last one was all around Bakewell and also the Magpie mine from what I remember.

To far to travel from the south coast Sorry it would take 5 hr 22 min (246.7 mi) via M1 if not longer.. So I have a better idea and that is to hold it in my area and then can include a photoshoot of everyone having a dip in the English Channel. Sexy swim underwear encouraged.:naughty::exit:

Last edited:
To far to travel from the south coast Sorry it would take 5 hr 22 min (246.7 mi) via M1 if not longer.. So I have a better idea and that is to hold it in my area and then can include a photoshoot of everyone having a dip in the English Channel. Sexy swim underwear encouraged.:naughty::exit:
For what it's worth, we have walked through John Lewis in Leeds to get to the car park as they've made the announcement that it's now 7pm and they're closing, picked up the car and driven home arriving about 11:05. We live in Hove which is also on the South coast, 238 miles from Crofton in Yorkshire in pre M25 days. :)

Having ventured South to Northumberland with the caravan in June, I've been contemplating Yorkshire for next year, so Castleton not much further. And it seems there's a Caravan Club site there as well, so a possibility if it all comes together. :cool:

Looks like we have some interest, how about dates? I'll open the bidding with weekend of 18th May, it's between the bank holidays.

Last edited:
Confirming that as far as we know, that date works for us, either for a weekend or longer.

I would definitely be interested. It's just over 10 years since I went on my first F&C meet, a day trip to Greenwich. I've been contemplating suggesting at least another day trip, and still might.

As far as I know the 18th would be fine. I did wonder whether earlier might be better, closer to the clocks going forward, so the actual sunrise isn't stupid early?

I did wonder whether earlier might be better, closer to the clocks going forward, so the actual sunrise isn't stupid early?
It's a good idea but I'm away in April and then we get into bank holiday season

I would be interested and the dates work for me.

I'm definitely up for it , as we've now decided that now is a stupid time to try to sell a house!

Looks like there is plenty of interest, lets fix the date as the 18th of May, or that weekend for those staying over. Please put it in your diaries for next year.

We can finalise details nearer the time and I think I'll suggest times and places where we can all meet up at the start and end of the day and we can take it from there.

Count me in - all cleared with the wife. I'll be a day trip attendee. Never been to one before! Been to Castleton many times - good location choice.

Having ventured South to Northumberland with the caravan in June, I've been contemplating Yorkshire for next year, so Castleton not much further. And it seems there's a Caravan Club site there as well, so a possibility if it all comes together. :cool:
I've not been to that site for a long time but it's only a few minutes walk into Castleton itself. Site has plenty of space too.

I should be good for this ( If I am still on planet earth ;) ) 2.5 hours drive and around 100 miles so I would do Saturday and Sunday.

We've just bought a campervan, so that's my accommodation sorted out!

Not going to commit 100% but I will keep an eye on this. I probably wouldn't commit until a week before.

A nice idea but at present I have mobility issues and waiting for a hip operation so will have to give it a miss, I know Castleton very well having had relatives living there but who have since passed away. Also think of the tiny village of Bradwell not far away which is a miniature version of Castleton. It too has a small stream running through the centre (Like the one above) and if you are into bird photography they have a good number of active Kingfishers that gather in the warmer months.

The thread linked to below is "live". Not necessarily film based but I'd guess that all are welcome!

Back