F&C Trip to Scotland - Gauging Interest & Opinions - Booked!

General area & dates of possible Scotland trip

• Highlands

Votes: 12 92.3%
  • Lowlands

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Arran or another island

Votes: 12 92.3%
  • September 2018

Votes: 9 69.2%
  • October 2018

Votes: 10 76.9%
  • November 2018

Votes: 6 46.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Nikki and I are heading to Cornwall this Friday... are you guys still around this neck of the woods Saturday onward at all? Would be great to catch up :)

That'd be great if we can organise it. We'll message you later :)

While were on the topic of things to do on a wet Wednesday afternoon in Scotland, there surely must be some enthusiasm for this

Time to get into training
Practice loading 120 film in a gale
Practice shooting around people crashing your shot
Practice getting up early and having a nap in the afternoon
Practice closing your camera bag and moving it away from the approaching tide
Practice drinking whisky for breakfast
Practice taking the p*** out of other F&C attendees (you may wish to practice this on your spouse/partner/workmates but suggest caution is used before embarking on such action)

I'm sure there must be other things you could practice during the next 17 weeks, maybe we could start a things we should practice and a list of things we should bring.

Practise shooting down incoming midges... :(

Would there be any interest in going to The Sealife Centre in Oban? It may be worth a visit if the weather is non too favourable, I should be able to get some freebie tickets so let me know and I'll ask the question.
Also would anyone be interested in a day trip to Mull, just had a quick look and the ferry runs from Oban and its about £12 each if we get 4 in a car or about £7 each as foot passengers https://www.calmac.co.uk/

Sealife might be good if it's wet, but I wouldn't go otherwise...

... and yes I'd be interested ingoing to Mull (and/or any other islands, specially those with tidal crossings where we could maroon go with Andy!)...

While were on the topic of things to do on a wet Wednesday afternoon in Scotland, there surely must be some enthusiasm for this

Oh no, no I wouldn't be interested in anything like that at all.:whistle:

Practise shooting down incoming midges... :(
Had this type of thing earlier in the week. "Load and unload film in subdued light". Stepped out of sun into shade and BANG, eaten alive. Some of them must have been captured when I closed the camera back, so that'll be some additional interest when they get developed. :rolleyes:

Sounds like time to stock up on 'Smidge' ? At least it doesn't seem to turn the surface of plastic to sticky like some insect repellents. https://www.smidgeup.com/the-science/the-proof/

And they also have a midge-forecast and a midge season guide: https://www.smidgeup.com/midges/midge-season/

I think I'll be testing the bottle I bought on some Cheshire cleg flies this month; once one of those has found and locked on to you as a potential target it's either you or it until it gets a meal, they never seem to give up!

Sounds like time to stock up on 'Smidge' ? At least it doesn't seem to turn the surface of plastic to sticky like some insect repellents. https://www.smidgeup.com/the-science/the-proof/

And they also have a midge-forecast and a midge season guide: https://www.smidgeup.com/midges/midge-season/

I think I'll be testing the bottle I bought on some Cheshire cleg flies this month; once one of those has found and locked on to you as a potential target it's either you or it until it gets a meal, they never seem to give up!

It starts snowing in August normally :)
It's unlikely the midges will still be around in any numbers

(I've been in a blizzard in July in Glen Afric)

It starts snowing in August normally :)
It's unlikely the midges will still be around in any numbers

(I've been in a blizzard in July in Glen Afric)
It was more a reply to Peter B than a recommendation for the F&C trip. I should have quoted him really but sometimes I don't bother if it just drags out the space on the thread (I take enough of that up already!).

In response to your post, can you refresh my memory as to why Scotland is so large an area yet doesn't seem to be very densely populated? :whistle: ;)

Last edited:
It was more a reply to Peter B than a recommendation for the F&C trip. I should have quoted him really but sometimes I don't bother if it just drags out the space on the thread (I take enough of that up already!).

In response to your post, can you refresh my memory as to why Scotland is so large an area yet doesn't seem to be very densely populated? :whistle: ;)

Probably the weather :)

Had this type of thing earlier in the week. "Load and unload film in subdued light". Stepped out of sun into shade and BANG, eaten alive. Some of them must have been captured when I closed the camera back, so that'll be some additional interest when they get developed. :rolleyes:
Couldn't see any midges on the film, but a bit of a surprise when I saw the shot below. I'm struggling for an "Airborne" entry for June, but I think this would be too much of a shoehorn. :whistle:
2018-06-10-0009-copy2-tp.jpg

Sorry Peter, I'm struggling to focus properly on that tonight with my hay fever ridden eyes, but isn't that just Andy Stewart there in the background practicing his choreography for 'Donald Where's Your Troosers'?

Last edited:
Sorry Peter, I'm struggling to focus properly on that tonight with my hay fever ridden eyes, but isn't that just Andy Stewart there in the background there practicing his choreography for 'Donald Where's Your Troosers'?
(y)

Oh lordy no!

I don’t know for definite yet but might be able to make it up for the first few days then get back for work at some time on Monday. Is there any possibility of sleeping somewhere for 2 nights or is every bit of floor space taken now?

I don’t know for definite yet but might be able to make it up for the first few days then get back for work at some time on Monday. Is there any possibility of sleeping somewhere for 2 nights or is every bit of floor space taken now?

Unfortunately that first weekend is the busiest couple of days. All the beds are currently taken until the Monday. You couldn't come up later in the week?

Unfortunately that first weekend is the busiest couple of days. All the beds are currently taken until the Monday. You couldn't come up later in the week?

Ah, no problem. I thought that might be the case. I’m a bit pushed for holidays with work, hence looking at the weekend instead. I’ll see if I can do anything with work though. Cheers

It's probably about 6 hours drive each way. Not sure what time you'd get to work on the Monday! ;)

Ah, no problem. I thought that might be the case. I’m a bit pushed for holidays with work, hence looking at the weekend instead. I’ll see if I can do anything with work though. Cheers
You could always put up a tent in the garden.

Forgive me if this has been proposed already, but I was considering placing a film order for some portra 160 sheets for this trip (from where I've not decided yet) and wondered if people were interested in a bulk film purchase. The good thing here is that only a single delivery charge will be shared, as it can all come with me (or who ever places the order if not me) and distributed once we're all there.

So, for those potentially interested:

Who would people prefer any order be placed with? (AG, maco direct, etc etc)
What would you like to purchase?
Any aversion to a particular supplier?

:)

Forgive me if this has been proposed already, but I was considering placing a film order for some portra 160 sheets for this trip (from where I've not decided yet) and wondered if people were interested in a bulk film purchase. The good thing here is that only a single delivery charge will be shared, as it can all come with me (or who ever places the order if not me) and distributed once we're all there.

So, for those potentially interested:

Who would people prefer any order be placed with? (AG, maco direct, etc etc)
What would you like to purchase?
Any aversion to a particular supplier?

:)
Just had a quick look and the cheapest i can find is £47.99 + VAT happy to grab a few boxes and bring it with me. If anybody can find it cheaper then obvs happy to go with that.

You could always put up a tent in the garden.
After a few PM,s with @Mrs Snap , I’m planning on joining you for the first weekend and camping in the near-by Bunree campsite, so if anyone else is thinking of slumming it in a van or tent then you will have company :)

It will be really good to meet up, looking forward to it.

After a few PM,s with @Mrs Snap , I’m planning on joining you for the first weekend and camping in the near-by Bunree campsite, so if anyone else is thinking of slumming it in a van or tent then you will have company :)

Brilliant! @stevelmx5 Have you got a tent? ;)

Edit - just checked and it's vans only. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

I'm just on the point of buying a small caravan and am intending to book into Bunree for part of the week. I definitely have to be at work on the Friday, so would be leaving on the Thursday, but unsure how many of the previous days I will manage until nearer the time. (y)

I'm just on the point of buying a small caravan and am intending to book into Bunree for part of the week. I definitely have to be at work on the Friday, so would be leaving on the Thursday, but unsure how many of the previous days I will manage until nearer the time. (y)

Again....brilliant! Will be great to meet you!

Back