F&C Trip to Scotland - Gauging Interest & Opinions - Booked!

General area & dates of possible Scotland trip

• Highlands

Votes: 12 92.3%
  • Lowlands

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Arran or another island

Votes: 12 92.3%
  • September 2018

Votes: 9 69.2%
  • October 2018

Votes: 10 76.9%
  • November 2018

Votes: 6 46.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Just let me know how you want paid :) I'm happy with both options.

As soon as the dates are confirmed, I will get my prices on Flights and car hire to either Glasgow city, Prestwick or Edinburgh.

At the moment I think it is doable for around £180-£200 and as petrol would cost £120.00 seems like a good deal.

That's the same conclusion I came to Richard. Fuel would be around £160, and flying is only £30 or so more. Although even if it was double I'd rather fly as it's a thousand mile round trip from sleepy Somerset!

I will be booking one of the available weeks at Onich later today.....:banana:

I may end up having to choose which week by picking it out of a top hat!! ;)

Ah, you have a top hat lens board :exit:

I will be booking one of the available weeks at Onich later today.....:banana:

I may end up having to choose which week by picking it out of a top hat!! ;)

I am sure the price for the following weeks increase, not, because of school holidays, but, because of those Miggies.:) Far less of them.

Pick away Mrs Snap.(y)

That's the same conclusion I came to Richard. Fuel would be around £160, and flying is only £30 or so more. Although even if it was double I'd rather fly as it's a thousand mile round trip from sleepy Somerset!
Don't know how it would compare cost-wise, but Easyjet fly Bristol to Inverness and you could then drive south to Onich, so a possible alternative?

If anyone wants to fly/train to Edinburgh or Glasgow I can pick them up on route, getting back might be a logistical challenge as I'll not be there for the whole week.

:banana::banana::banana:September :banana::banana::banana:

:banana::banana::banana:September :banana::banana::banana:

So no real preference either way then. :D

I think I would just prefer October as ee can be reasonably sure of some Autumnal colour and the midges will alnost certainly be gone by then.

Just less daylight in October - I think it's about half and hour at each end of the day.

I don't suppose the accommodation has a darkroom :D

Absolutely typical. There's pretty much an even split between preferences for September and October :rolleyes:

Pro's
September - longer days, cheaper
October - fewer midges, possibility of Autumn colours

Con's
September - more midges, probably too early for Autumn colours
October - shorter days, more expensive

Weather is not guaranteed with either week. This is Scotland not the Bahamas!!

Sounds like a coin flip situation... There is a slight preference for October in the Poll though. Early October might be a good compromise?

I hate midges. I went camping in the Brecon Beacons in late spring one year, and decided to park up for the night under some trees by a small river. We got out and started cooking tea outside, then as the entire population of Welsh midges descended to feast upon us, we realised why no one else had stopped here. Unfortunately we had the back doors of the van open when we were cooking so it took me ages to squash all the little buggers that got inside.

We don't get midges in Somerset. Lots of cows, sheep and pigs, but not blood sucking insects!

So my vote is for a midge free October (y):D

Well, as a Yorkshireman, cheaper is better; in 30 odd years of Scottish holidays there was only one year that midges bothered me (we go in May/June) and as a black and white photographer, autumn colours don't attract me.

Of course, shorter days means a longer lie in if you want a sunrise and an earlier sunset if you want a pint. :D

Of course, shorter days means a longer lie in if you want a sunrise and an earlier sunset if you want a pint. :D

You beat me to it! :D

For me October means I can head off when it gets dark on the Monday without being too late back. But i honestly have no real preference, late September should be pretty midge free.

I hate midges. Whenever we go to Scotland, I become their primary food source :mad:

Alas, I was once told that beer was an acquired taste - one I never acquired. I had a pint once (because in around 1972 someone in a pub decided that he'd make the order simple for himself and only ordered pints) and wasn't keen. Malt Scotch is another matter - but I've never had more than 3 quads at a time. I think that that's well under a pint.

Alas, I was once told that beer was an acquired taste - one I never acquired. I had a pint once (because in around 1972 someone in a pub decided that he'd make the order simple for himself and only ordered pints) and wasn't keen. Malt Scotch is another matter - but I've never had more than 3 quads at a time. I think that that's well under a pint.

I suspect that there might well be a selection of fine malt whiskies in a prominent spot in the lodgings. I will certainly be bringing a bortle of something interesting.;)

Or even a bottle. :D

Saturday 22nd Sept: Sun up 07:07 ↑ (89°) Sun Down 19:17 ↑ (271°)
Saturday 6th Oct: Sun up 07:33 ↑ (98°) Sun down 18:42 ↑ (262°)

Thats an extra half hour in bed. Unless its raining in which case it matters not a jot....

I'm not sure how much this will assist you Janet, but here is an article from last year's midge nightmare. It's really the summer weather that determines the autumn midge count. https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/midge-misery-scotland-numbers-biting-10929576

'Dr Blackwell advised: "Be prepared, make sure you're wearing insect repellent and don't go outside in shorts and a t-shirt during their peak activity during dawn and dusk."'

So that's alright then. Oh, hang on...

Last edited:
'Dr Blackwell advised: "Be prepared, make sure you're wearing insect repellent and don't go outside in shorts and a t-shirt during their peak activity during dawn and dusk."'

So if it's mad dogs who go out in the midday sun, it will be mad togs that go out at dawn & dusk. :whistle:

To avoid them don't breath as they can detect carbon dioxide about 100yards away..oh wait there is a problem :eek:

Last edited:
Thanks Stephen. So the 'M' is a red herring! I was going to make a surname up for you on the grounds that I knew it started with M....how wrong I'd have been!! :D

Back