F&C Trip to Scotland - Gauging Interest & Opinions - Booked!

General area & dates of possible Scotland trip

• Highlands

Votes: 12 92.3%
  • Lowlands

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Arran or another island

Votes: 12 92.3%
  • September 2018

Votes: 9 69.2%
  • October 2018

Votes: 10 76.9%
  • November 2018

Votes: 6 46.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Update!!

Based purely on the fact that October scored slightly higher than September in the original poll, I've reserved the house at Onich for the week from Saturday 6th to Saturday 13th October. Once the agents have checked everything over, they'll confirm the booking (should be within the next 48 hours).

Total cost is £1738 (£1695 plus £43 booking fee). There will also be a refundable £400 security deposit to pay at the same time as we pay the balance. I've paid a deposit of £579 and the balance (£1159) & security deposit (£400) are due by 25th August.

I'll work out shares later and let you all know how much you owe me for the deposit.

To start with, costs will be calculated on 14 people for the whole week and 2 people for 2 nights.

Regarding Mrs ChrisR, who will not make a decision on coming until much nearer the time, I've left her out of the costs calculation for the moment. That way, if she comes, ChrisR can pay for an extra person and everyone else will be due a small refund!

We can also recalculate the costs later if PeterB and/or DesF want to come along for a little while once the weekenders have gone home!

Now that you're in, you're in. Please don't ask for a refund as a refusal often offends ;)

Last edited:
If I don't need to show a passport (which I don't have anyway) I don't suppose it matters much. "M" for "Mother" I always say...

Mackenzie is actually a family name passed down when the surname changed through marriage.

Update!!

Based purely on the fact that October scored slightly higher than September in the original poll, I've reserved the house at Onich for the week from Saturday 6th to Saturday 13th October. Once the agents have checked everything over, they'll confirm the booking (should be within the next 48 hours).

We can also recalculate the costs later if PeterB and/or DesF want to come along for a little while once the weekenders have gone home!
Thanks Janet, I now have dates that I can try to dodge round at work. (y)

Had a quick look at the Photographers Ephemera and it looks like sunrise and sunset will be pretty good from right outside the digs and a little bit of exploration might bring up something special.... especially if we get any Sun. :)

The sun will certainly be shining; the only question is whether there will be rain clouds or fog separating us from it.

View media item 13066
Certainly chances of a decent sunset. This was from the Bunree campsite a mile and a half from your proposed place. There is also a decent bus service from the main road into Fort William.

I've had half an eye on this thread but have no idea where I'll be in October, probably meandering back from France, but could turn up to the campsite in Bunree and join in for the odd day with a film camera. I've met Andysnap and it would be cool to put faces to a few more names.

Last edited:
Were thinking of flying up, what are folks doing for transport?

Depending on how brave Nikki and I are feeling, we may drive. This will take a small amount of planning however, as doing it in a single run might be a bad idea. Possibly do up to around the lakes in an evening, rock up to a premier inn or similar, finish the drive early the following morning.

There's both a Premier Inn and a Travelodge just a couple of minutes off the M6 (J40) at Penrith. Also a Premier Inn at Kendal (J36) but that's further away from the motorway.

Last edited:
We'll drive up - it's a familiar journey for us as we do it every year, almost always heading for Fort William, although usually towing a caravan. It's easier without :D. Normally we aim at getting beyond Birmingham, and preferably above Manchester before stopping for the night, but then we usually start in the evening.

Many years ago, and without a caravan, we stayed in Edinburgh, and after the shops closed on the final day we drove home. In those days there was no M25 and the way home was down the M1, Edgware Road and Hyde Park Corner. It can be done, but I'm older now and the traffic is heavier :(.

The practical reason for driving is the amount of luggage we normally bring; and on this trip I expect I won't be cutting back on photographic equipment. Last year, I dropped 35mm, and I think I only had the C330f and Walker 5x4. It takes a lot of space (and weight).

We'll be driving. Will probably get an early start and stop at Tebay for breakfast :)

What time do people expect they'll be arriving? My drive isn't nearly so long, still three hours, but don't want to disappear with the car too early.

Yes I know its literaly months away....

What time do people expect they'll be arriving? My drive isn't nearly so long, still three hours, but don't want to disappear with the car too early.

Yes I know its literaly months away....

Haha!! I know!!

If it helps, the accommodation won't be available until 4pm. We'll be aiming to arrive as close to 4pm as possible ;)

What's the latest time we have to arrive by - what's your bedtimes? I'm wondering if I could do it in one day's trip without breaking overnight.

Bedtime? There's planning to be done before sunrise, and whisky to drink...

We'll be driving. Will probably get an early start and stop at Tebay for breakfast :)
This is good tactics. I leave home about 4 to do exactly that. M6 traffic can suck more energy out of you than midges!

It should take us about 2 1/2 hours, so we'll be leaving just after lunch.

Right! The total cost breakdown, based on 14 people for the week and 2 people for 2 nights, is as follows:

Week - £119.71 per person
Weekend - £31.04 per person

The deposit is £579 which I've broken down as:

Week - £36.92 per person
Weekend - £31.04 per person (I didn't see the point in taking a really small amount off you now when your total cost is less than everyone else's deposit portion! Hope that's okay with you)

I'll be PM'ing you all later with my bank details

:)

Just looked at flights from Bristol to Glasgow, and the times on the Saturday really suck! The only flight of the day won't get there until 17:35, which is way too late. So we might end up arriving at the airport on the Friday evening and staying in a Travelodge or something. If we're able to hitch a lift from @Mrs Snap and @Andysnap as they go past on the Saturday? We don't want to put you out though so we can just hire a car if it's a pain :)

Just looked at flights from Bristol to Glasgow, and the times on the Saturday really suck! The only flight of the day won't get there until 17:35, which is way too late. So we might end up arriving at the airport on the Friday evening and staying in a Travelodge or something. If we're able to hitch a lift from @Mrs Snap and @Andysnap as they go past on the Saturday? We don't want to put you out though so we can just hire a car if it's a pain :)

Usual fees apply... :D

Right! The total cost breakdown, based on 14 people for the week and 2 people for 2 nights, is as follows:

Week - £119.71 per person
Weekend - £31.04 per person

The deposit is £579 which I've broken down as:

Week - £36.92 per person
Weekend - £31.04 per person (I didn't see the point in taking a really small amount off you now when your total cost is less than everyone else's deposit portion! Hope that's okay with you)

I'll be PM'ing you all later with my bank details

:)

May I change my booking, please.

I would like three and a half weekends please at £31.04. Total cost £108.64.:):):);););)(y)(y)(y):pint::naughty:

Would you like me to post up my maths? Unfortunately, it wouldn't be accurate if I just charged two sevenths of the weekly price....

Would you like me to post up my maths? Unfortunately, it wouldn't be accurate if I just charged two sevenths of the weekly price....

Sorry, my tease has gone wrong, not meant in any other way than with the utmost affection.:eggface:

Back