F&C Trip to Scotland - Gauging Interest & Opinions - Booked!

General area & dates of possible Scotland trip

• Highlands

Votes: 12 92.3%
  • Lowlands

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Arran or another island

Votes: 12 92.3%
  • September 2018

Votes: 9 69.2%
  • October 2018

Votes: 10 76.9%
  • November 2018

Votes: 6 46.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
One year we were on a boat trip from nearby and were on the water when the train went over the viaduct; so a photograph is possible without the crowds. Does anyone know if the Chroma can be adapted to wear a buoyancy aid to make the group shot possible? :D

Just been into my garage and have found a bag of 4x5 double film holders,not in the best condition,but, maybe good for spares and repairs.

Shall i bring then up to the meet for you to look and decide if wanted?

Let me know.

Just been into my garage and have found a bag of 4x5 double film holders,not in the best condition,but, maybe good for spares and repairs.

Let me know.

Yes please! ETA: even some of those for sale for £30 or so on fleabay look pretty darn rough...

Let me know.

Yes please! ETA: even some of those for sale for £30 or so on fleabay look pretty darn rough...

If you're struggling for space Richard you could always courier them up to me and I'll chuck them in my boot.

If you're struggling for space Richard you could always courier them up to me and I'll chuck them in my boot.

Thank you,however it is a small bag with some kit in no problem. Thank you for the offer.(y)

OH, that is great, we can have an auction then, starting @ ? :D

We'll be picking up a hire car and leaving Inverness airport at midday on the Saturday so if anybody is arriving the same time and would like a lift just let me know.
Bear in mind we will get some sort of tiny, budget, cheapskate hatchback so if you're coming with as many cameras as me it may be a squeeze.

Not sure what cameras I'm taking yet. I'll probably bring the Bessa for walkabouts, and the Nagaoka for proper landscape stuff, then either the 500cm or ETRS for other things. Oh, and I'll bring the drone as well as I haven't used it for landscapes much yet and it'll be awesome for mountains!

Isn't it a very sad state of affairs when we are already getting stressed over what equipment to take on holiday ? I think I'm just going to bring the Big Yellow Peril.

2018-09-03_11-23-28 by Andy, on Flickr

At least it won't be affected by the rain.. :D

In the light of the above posts, I may reconsider what I bring. My original intention was to bring "the lot" in case anyone wanted a play with different equipment. Nikon F2, Nikon F3, Canon F1, Pentax LX etc are common enough, as are the Mamiya RZ67 and C330. Less common are the Kine Exakta (the first 35mm SLR) and the Canon Dial half frame (motor wind...).

Unless anyone is interested in checking what I could bring, I may keep it to the minimum and just bring LF and RZ67.

If anyone would like to try the Intrepid 10x8, I can provide FP4 (the only 10x8 film I have) and a darkslide for loading (I have 6). I'm intending to bring a changing tent anyway. But - if anyone wants to try it, they're going to have to find something to do with the exposed sheet afterwards. Is it planned to do any kitchen sink developing? I can bring a 10x8 daylight tank.

I was thinking 8x10 and 5x4, plus a little bit of digital maybe. Potentially a little super8 as well

RB and Shen Hao (maybe a Chroma if its ready)

Might bring the baby yash too, just to give it a try.

My bigger problem is I don't know what film I've actually got in stock.

I'm going nowhere near 8x10 I do not need that temptation :D

With all the cameras and associated gubbins that you flying people are bringing, will you have any room for clothes? :D;)

Last edited:
With all the cameras and associated gubbins that you flying people are bringing, will you have any room for clothes?
No, me and Mrs Surf will be wearing our whole weeks clothes on the flight up while all my camera gear will be packed into the suitcases.

And if you visit Glen Nevis and want to walk over to explore the old graveyard - it's on the other side of the river to the road - so Wellingtons are usually a good idea (I did once manage to get over wearing walking boots, but the water was very low at the time).

I don't think I could fit wellies in my suitcase as we're sharing one between the two of us. I could wear them on the plane I suppose, but I would get a lot of funny looks!

I don't think I could fit wellies in my suitcase as we're sharing one between the two of us. I could wear them on the plane I suppose, but I would get a lot of funny looks!

Surely not if you wore oilskins and a sou'wester to keep up the consistency :)

@Andysnap, @Carl Hall, @Woodsy, @nikki_s, @raathistle, @kendo1, @steveo_mcg, @ChrisR, @StephenM, @RaglanSurf, @medwaygreen

Just over 3 weeks to go!

I’m starting to think about what food shopping may be required for the holiday. I know that Tesco & Asda in Inverness both deliver to the house so I’m planning to place an order with one of them to arrive sometime after 4pm on the Saturday.

I’m assuming that most/all people will want breakfast most/all mornings, so it would probably be sensible to order breakfast stuffs centrally and all contribute towards the costs (I’ll work out a lesser contribution for people who won’t be stopping for the whole week). I’m thinking of things like tea, coffee, milk, sugar, cereals, toasting bread, butter, jam, bacon, eggs, orange juice……etc.

Lunches are a bit more difficult to predict because we’ll all be out and about and might want to either take a packed lunch or eat out in a caff or pub. I can order an initial supply of things like rolls, ham, cheese, crisps, biscuits etc if people are interested and we can top up during the week if necessary.

With regard to evening meals, I’m not really going to go there! There’s a lot of people to cater for and not everyone likes the same sort of thing. Also, people might want to eat out or get a takeaway sometimes. The Onich Hotel is walking distance from the house, there are numerous pubs & restaurants within a few miles drive and there’s a decent looking chippy in Ballachulish. Therefore, I think it’s probably best if everyone caters for their own evening meals.

That being said, I was thinking of making a very large pot of something to bring with me on the Saturday to feed anyone who wants something on arrival. Probably an easily reheatable one-pot meal like a casserole or stew of some sort (containing meat & veg) served up with chunky bread.

So, what do you all think?

Does anyone not want to participate in the central breakfast order?
What do you think about lunch and evening meals? Shall we order an initial supply of packed lunch stuff?
Who will / won't want some casserole on Saturday evening?

Any feedback or other suggestions gratefully received!

@sirch, @Peter B

I know you're both camping up the road so it might be easier to sort out your own food but feel free to contribute to the order and eat with us if it suits. You're welcome to have some stew/casserole as well on Sat.

Sound good to me. Especially the bit about the stew! :jawdrop:

I think it's best not to worry about evening meals as people can sort themselves out. It depends on what we do each day as well, so you can't really buy evening food in advance as we might be out somewhere or getting food out. I really enjoyed eating out in various places in Cornwall so if we end up doing similar again then I'll be happy :D

Packed lunches sounds like a good idea to me, just stuff like bread/rolls, ham, fruit, cheese etc that we can take out with us.

Thanks for the offer of stew @Mrs Snap, I would like to join in on that and I'm more than happy to chip in towards the cost. I'm happy to eat out in the evenings and 'll probably do my own thing for breakfast and lunch as I'm only there until Tuesday. I'll be in the van with a stove and kettle so I'm happy to brew up for anyone who wants while we are out and about.

BTW, I was wondering about a WhatsApp group for keeping in touch nearer the time and whilst travelling or is that heresy:sorry: in an analog group?

I don't think Mr Snap even knows what WhatsApp is! ;):D

I used to use it occasionally and can probably resurrect my old account

What's a WhatsApp?

I do know what stew is and as it 'appens I make a very passable one which I am happy to make for the first evening. :D(y)

I am up for the stew on Saturday evening good idea.

As I have to eat at different times,because of my meds I will cater for myself during the day and evening throughout the week.

Thank you.

Back