F&C Trip to Scotland - Gauging Interest & Opinions - Booked!

General area & dates of possible Scotland trip

• Highlands

Votes: 12 92.3%
  • Lowlands

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Arran or another island

Votes: 12 92.3%
  • September 2018

Votes: 9 69.2%
  • October 2018

Votes: 10 76.9%
  • November 2018

Votes: 6 46.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
But you already suggested she should go by train to make more space after I'd removed the seat...

Nah, I'm sure you're mistaken Stephen,

I'd never make such a suggestion…….:p

Sorry - it must be an age thing. Memory failing. It will do me good to be among all the young people when we get to Scotland.

Jeez! I’m bringing 1 LF kit (1 camera, 5 lenses, 8 dds, other usual bits), a 645 as backup, and film for both. That’s it camera gear wise anyway! I am however bringing quite a bit of whisky :)
You can borrow my camera gear :)

I'm worrying about fitting everything in to the car. Sufficiently worrying to forget to pack things. So far I seem to have 3 complete LF outfits (2 5x4 and 10x8), 2 changing tents, 2 complete MF outfits, the intention to bring complete outfits for 4 different 35mm SLRs (Canon, Exakta, Nikon, Pentax), sundry books etc. I hadn't fully appreciated how big half a dozen 10x8 film holders were. Plus a fridge of film (well, not the fridge but the contents thereof). I have been wondering whether to bring a bottle of malt scotch named after one of the guests - I found it in at the back of a darkroom cupboard along with a bottle of Macallen 1968, so it's been around a while.

Blimey, are you driving one of those clown cars that's like a tardis inside? :LOL:

I've pretty much packed my camera gear now, although I need to fiddle around with it to make sure it's all protected inside. Ended up buying a bigger camera bag so that I could fit it all in, and I don't feel like I'm bringing that much! Got the 4x5 with 2 lenses and 4 DDS, the Hasselblad, drone, Macbook and film. plus an array of bits and bobs. The only bit of photography gear that's going in the suitcase is the tripod, and it's one of those mini BeFree things that folds up nice and small.

I'm worrying about fitting everything in to the car. Sufficiently worrying to forget to pack things. So far I seem to have 3 complete LF outfits (2 5x4 and 10x8), 2 changing tents, 2 complete MF outfits, the intention to bring complete outfits for 4 different 35mm SLRs (Canon, Exakta, Nikon, Pentax), sundry books etc. I hadn't fully appreciated how big half a dozen 10x8 film holders were. Plus a fridge of film (well, not the fridge but the contents thereof). I have been wondering whether to bring a bottle of malt scotch named after one of the guests - I found it in at the back of a darkroom cupboard along with a bottle of Macallen 1968, so it's been around a while.
So all you need to get in now is the kitchen sink for that kitchen sink developing :D

I decided against that as I assume that there will be a kitchen there.

I was contemplating bringing the necessary to develop sheet film (10x8 and 5x4) on site, but decided against it on space in car grounds.

I just looked out of the window and see that it's foggy here.

Anyone fancy a P B & S wood and brass tripod from 1942?

It may complete the look some aspire to :)

It might be suitable for a product shot for a Chroma...

Can this thread be locked?............................so,so jealous!

Fraser, there appears to be a possibility that Mrs R will only stay for the weekend, would you be interested in coming up during the week? (Bearing the weather forecast in mind...)

Certainly interested, given the advantages of wood.

I decided against that as I assume that there will be a kitchen there.

I was contemplating bringing the necessary to develop sheet film (10x8 and 5x4) on site, but decided against it on space in car grounds.

I just looked out of the window and see that it's foggy here.
I've got nothing for 10x8 but I'm bringing B&W chemistry and tanks for 35mm, 120 and 5x4 which anyone is welcome to use if they want.

If you don't mind sharing dev and fixer (which developer, as a matter of interest?) then I'll bring the necessary for 10x8, 5x4 and 9x12. If I can fit it in :D

I'm bringing gin. Looking at the weather forecast, I don't think I need anything else :rolleyes:;)

Following a line of thought prompted by Chris above about developing on site, does anyone know if gin can be used to develop film? I know some pretty strange drinks can be used - coffee, red wine, urine. Is gin among them?

If you don't mind sharing dev and fixer (which developer, as a matter of interest?) then I'll bring the necessary for 10x8, 5x4 and 9x12. If I can fit it in :D
Happy to share, dev is Kodak HC 110. I'll put the concentrate in as well in case we need a fresh batch.

Following a line of thought prompted by Chris above about developing on site, does anyone know if gin can be used to develop film? I know some pretty strange drinks can be used - coffee, red wine, urine. Is gin among them?
Sounds like a waste of gin :D

I've put a Jobo tank with CatLab 810 insert in the car, together with a couple of Jobo reels for 5x4, 9x12, 6x9 (adjustable reels). Word of warning - I haven't tried any of them yet :eek:

The Jobo reels claim to handle 6 sheets each, and two reels will fit in the tank.

Now I'm wondering whether to put in a bottle of Gin (not for film processing even though it is only Bombay Sapphire), this is turning into an epic.

Pixels? On a F&C meet! :eek:

Edit to add: Grain whisky would be OK (unless, like me, you've actually tried it).

Last edited:
I recently looked into how to make gin from scratch, and it's surprisingly simple. I don't own a still though, and bodging converting my pressure canner into one seemed like something my house insurance company would have an objection to, so I gave up

Just going off topic and reverting to processing on site.

Tanks and chemicals are fine as far as it goes, but when the film comes out we have to do something with it. I've slipped in 10 or 12 Paterson film clips and a 100 sheet pack of 10x8 negative sleeves. I couldn't lay my hands on my 5x4 sheets (I think in a cupboard in the darkroom which I can't open for camera bags) but I reckoned that 5x4 should fit at least temporarily in a 10x8.

Thermometer I haven't dealt with. I thought I kept a spare in case anything happens to my principal one, but there appear to be two spares so I might bring one just in case.

@Carl Hall I've got at least 3 Lunasixes, a Sekonic spot meter and a Weston Master V packed. I think there may be at least one more Lunasix in one of the camera bags. So you can have a play if you wish.

Be still your beating heart Janet, but I may have found something just for you on a rainy day. :whistle: https://www.visitscotland.com/info/food-drink/pixel-spirits-p1703121
Just down the road! Gin school looks like a great, but expensive, way to spend a few hours! :D
Ah, but it's the chance to create your very own bespoke Janet's Gin. (y)
I'm tempted! ;):D

@Peter B What have you done?! I seem to have accidentally booked myself into gin school on Thursday afternoon! :D:banana::woot:

Did I read somewhere that a Whatsapp group was made? Or was it just discussed?

Could we organise a WHAT'sIT group for those who haven't a clue what you're on about :D

Come to think of it, what the 'eck is a smartphone:thinking::thinking:…...I know that a tablet is though;)……….

It's summat taken for an headache:ROFLMAO:

Weather looks quite good for tomorrow. I can see you all arriving, dumping your bags and then disappearing for a sunset!
It looks like the best day so far. Best grab those sunset shots while we can.

Back