F1 2017 season

5th on the Grid for Alonso following an engine issue after practice this morning, excellent considering he hadn't driven an Indy Car before last week!

Excellent performance. He's on row 2 which means he'll be long gone if anything dramatic happens mid pack at the start. I always love watching the Indy 500, but this year I am doubly excited.

I wonder if Alonso thought the curse of the Honda engine had followed him. :eek:

On twitter they were saying there was no problem, it was just precautionary, if they were allowed then why not, 2 Honda engines for a race is nothing compared to what he's used to

2017 FORMULA 1 GRAND PRIX DE MONACO

6lz6QBH.png

Catalunya
Lap length 3.337km (2.074 miles)
Race laps 78
Race distance 260.286km (161.734 miles)
Pole position Right-hand side of the track
Lap record* 1’18.063 (Daniel Ricciardo, 2015)
Fastest lap 1’15.098 (Lewis Hamilton, 2015, qualifying three)
Maximum speed 290kph (180.198 mph)
DRS zone/s (race) Pit straight
Distance from grid to turn one 111m
Full throttle 34%
Longest flat-out section 669m
Downforce level Maximum
Gear changes per lap 47

UK Times
Thursday 25th May 2017
Monaco Grand Prix Free Practice 1: 10:00-11:30 (UK time: 9:00-10:30)
Monaco Grand Prix Free Practice 2: 14:00-15:30 (UK time: 13:00-14:30)
Saturday 27th May 2017
Monaco Grand Prix Free Practice 3: 11:00-12:00 (UK time: 10:00-11:00)
Monaco Grand Prix Qualifying: 14:00 (UK time: 13:00)
Sunday 28th May 2017
Monaco Grand Prix: 14:00 (UK time: 13:00)

Previous Winners
2016 United Kingdom Lewis Hamilton Mercedes
2015 Germany Nico Rosberg Mercedes
2014 Germany Nico Rosberg Mercedes
2013 Germany Nico Rosberg Mercedes
2012 Australia Mark Webber Red Bull-Renault
2011 Germany Sebastian Vettel Red Bull-Renault
2010 Australia Mark Webber Red Bull-Renault
2009 United Kingdom Jenson Button Brawn-Mercedes
2008 United Kingdom Lewis Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes
2007 Spain Fernando Alonso McLaren-Mercedes
2006 Spain Fernando Alonso Renault
2005 Finland Kimi Räikkönen McLaren-Mercedes
2004 Italy Jarno Trulli Renault
2003 Colombia Juan Pablo Montoya Williams-BMW
2002 United Kingdom David Coulthard McLaren-Mercedes
2001 Germany Michael Schumacher Ferrari
2000 United Kingdom David Coulthard McLaren-Mercedes

Videos

1995 Berger drifting round on/off board
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-qitCCq5Mc

1979 Jackie Stewart on board
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzRhg6SU_z4

Facts from the previous race

For the first time in almost a decade only three cars finished on the lead lap of a dry grand prix.

The widening gap between the top teams and their rivals was illustrated in Spain by the fact only the podium finishers completed all 66 laps. And the third of those, Daniel Ricciardo, was just a few seconds away from being lapped too.

The last time this happened in any race was the rain-affected 2008 British Grand Prix. Hamilton won that race as well, with Nick Heidfeld’s BMW 68 seconds behind, Rubens Barrichello’s Honda another 13 seconds back and the rest a lap down.

To find the last occasion this happened in a dry race, giving a fairer reflection of the overall competitiveness of the field, you have to go back to the 2007 Monaco Grand Prix. Hamilton finished second in that one behind Fernando Alonso, with Felipe Massa’s Ferrari 69 seconds behind.

After qualifying in Spain it seemed Red Bull’s upgrade had moved them closer to the top two teams. Having averaged 1.4% off the pace over the opening four rounds they qualified just 0.7% down on their rivals in Spain. But Ricciardo finished 75 seconds in arrears, a pace deficit of 1.3% over the race distance.

Two significant running streaks came to an end in Spain. Lewis Hamilton ended the run of different winners over the past ten races, having also won in 2014. And for the first time since 2012 the front row was not a Mercedes lock-out, as Sebastian Vettel’s Ferrari pushed Valtteri Bottas down to second place.

Hamilton’s 64th pole position leaves him one away from equalling Ayrton Senna in second place on the all-time list. Victory and fastest lap gave him the 12th hat-trick of his career, one more than Jim Clark. Only Michael Schumacher has more, though Hamilton needs another ten to match him.

Vettel claimed second for Ferrari, meaning he and Hamilton have shared to top two places on the podium in four races so far this year. No team has scored a one-two in the first five races which hasn’t been the case since 2012, when we made it to round 16 before anyone took a one-two.

Hamilton and Vettel also finished in the points for the tenth consecutive race but Sergio Perez has them both beaten: this was his 15th points finish in a row. Force India also sustained their run of finishing in the points with both cars in every race this year – something no other team has managed.

For Esteban Ocon, fifth place was his best result to date. Pascal Wehrlein also achieved a career high with eighth, delivering Sauber’s first points of 2017.

Current Standings
MtCujvM.png

oyp4Wke.png

Drivers’ Chosen Tyres
VF5GgLz.jpg

Last edited:
Button 12th in practice. Not bad, especially for those who said he wouldn't put much into it.

I'm really hoping that JB gets some points!

Gotta say that for once I am not interested in the race at all, but I can't wait for the Indy 500. Full entry of 33 cars, fastest pole speed since 1996, and Alonso in the mix.

Gotta say that for once I am not interested in the race at all, but I can't wait for the Indy 500. Full entry of 33 cars, fastest pole speed since 1996, and Alonso in the mix.

Is there anyway other than sky tv to watch it?

Sunday is a good day - Monaco, which is likely to be a procession but it's still Monaco, Indy 500 with Alonso demonstrating plenty of speed, even compared to his team mates with years of experience in those cars, and the Coca-cola 600 (that one is being recorded).

Was very glad to see that, looking forward to seeing it more than the Monaco gp!

Yes, although due to Hamilton being mid pack, it 'could' be a bit more of an interesting Monaco race...

Best one was a few years ago when it rained - no chance of that tomorrow though.

Honda have admitted their mgu-h can only last two races.
That's poor, put button to the rear after a decent qualifying, their best chance for points in the season.

Last edited:
Technically any motor race can be won by anyone, but it’s highly unlikely. Somewhere out there is a set of circumstances that will allow Jolyon Palmer to win a Grand Prix, but it’s not going to happen. But in the Indy 500 every single one of the drivers can realistically envision themselves as the winner, because there’s so much more to it than just being fast (the last five winners all started from outside the top 10).

(From wtf1.com) so everyone knows palmer is slow except Renault haha, if I can find an online stream too, I'll watch the Indy 500, I tried to watch some practice sessions on YouTube but there's so many adverts and stuff that isn't racing

Yee gods that was a boring Monaco Grand Prix - if it wasn't for the failures, I'm not sure there would have been any action at all!
Was there a single overtake?

Yee gods that was a boring Monaco Grand Prix - if it wasn't for the failures, I'm not sure there would have been any action at all!

I think there was one attempt by vandoorne on the safety car XD and Button/Wehlein... so yeah, they went well

Monaco is ALWAYS a relatively boring, processional "race". While I never like seeing crashes, at least they add some interest to the advertising parade.

Anyone watching Alonso at the Indy 500? Currently in the lead

Yeah, on YouTube so I have to keep switching streams as they shut them down haha... watched the first 30 laps and jumping in and out, I missed the crash but watching again now, I saw some pit stops too, I can't believe how many adverts there are

I am watching on Youtube too. A major crash but both drivers have walked away.

Yeah, on YouTube so I have to keep switching streams as they shut them down haha... watched the first 30 laps and jumping in and out, I missed the crash but watching again now, I saw some pit stops too, I can't believe how many adverts there are

Crazy amount of ads! It was quite a crash, Dixon very lucky to walk away from that.

They're going pretty fast the whole lap though, it's impressive but 200 laps?... If it wasn't for the crashes, I think you'd turn off in the middle, I'm not converted but I see why alonso chose it over Monaco

That was the most boring race I've ever seen. I feel asleep and woke up jus before pascal got taken out by button.

Bored to tears by Monaco, started the BBQ early and enjoyed that a lot more.
I don't understand why the authorities do not fine the team rather than relegate the driver when they have to replace engine/gearbox? Button had a really good qualifying, then had to start from the pit lane and spent the entire last two thirds of the race, slowing up letting the front guys pass under blue lights, whilst Wherlein kept on opening up the gaps.

Zak brown is gonna have to get a different engine or a different driver, he did well though

Back