F1 season 2016

I think he may have been fiddling with his knobs himself. Still not his fault, poor boy.

When he said 4 in a row he is referring to Monaco wins.
The investigation into why the switch was in the wrong position should be pretty short, engineer - "Nico, did you check that switch like you should have?" Nico - "err, no I forgot"

Will Nico win the championship this season? Unless Nico out drives Lewis consistently this season, he will be an unworthy champion if he goes on to win it. It'll likely be through his only realistic competition having considerable mechanical issues with his car, and I'd hope that little cloud of reality taints his "victory" so much he eventually explodes in bratty petulance. :)

I'm sure he loves you too.

Actually if I was Lewis, maybe I'd be saying,"well it's probably Nico's turn, maybe I'll help him" in interviews and devalue his win if he gets it :D

2016 FORMULA 1 GRAND PRIX DE MONACO

WSab5gS.png

Monte Carlo
Lap data
Lap length 3.337km (2.074 miles)
Race laps 78
Race distance 260.286km (161.734 miles)
Pole position Right-hand side of the track
Maximum speed 290kph (180.198 mph)
DRS zone/s (race) Pit straight
Distance from grid to turn one 210m

UK Times
Thursday 26th May 2016
Monaco Grand Prix Free Practice 1: 10:00-11:30 (UK time: 9:00-10:30)
Monaco Grand Prix Free Practice 2: 14:00-15:30 (UK time: 13:00-14:30)
Saturday 28th May 2016
Monaco Grand Prix Free Practice 3: 11:00-12:00 (UK time: 10:00-11:00)
Monaco Grand Prix Qualifying: 14:00 (UK time: 13:00)
Sunday 29th May 2016
Monaco Grand Prix: 14:00 (UK time: 13:00)

Previous Winners
2015 Germany Nico Rosberg Mercedes
2014 Germany Nico Rosberg Mercedes
2013 Germany Nico Rosberg Mercedes
2012 Australia Mark Webber Red Bull-Renault
2011 Germany Sebastian Vettel Red Bull-Renault
2010 Australia Mark Webber Red Bull-Renault
2009 United Kingdom Jenson Button Brawn-Mercedes
2008 United Kingdom Lewis Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes
2007 Spain Fernando Alonso McLaren-Mercedes
2006 Spain Fernando Alonso Renault
2005 Finland Kimi Räikkönen McLaren-Mercedes
2004 Italy Jarno Trulli Renault
2003 Colombia Juan Pablo Montoya Williams-BMW
2002 United Kingdom David Coulthard McLaren-Mercedes
2001 Germany Michael Schumacher Ferrari
2000 United Kingdom David Coulthard McLaren-Mercedes

Videos
Alonso onboard 2013
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCWkcH7mgSk

Schumacher onboard 1992
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F22xNrWdDio

Facts From Previous Race

Max Verstappen smashed the record for the youngest ever F1 race winner. At 18 years and 232 days old, Verstappen is over-two-and-a-half years younger than the previous holder of the record. That was Sebastian Vettel, who Verstappen shared the podium with and who is not far off being a decade older than Red Bull’s newest winner.

Vettel has held the record since his breakthrough triumph in the 2008 Italian Grand Prix, his 22nd start against Verstappen’s 24th.

He is also the first race winner born in the 90s (1997).

Verstappen became the youngest driver to lead a lap (beating Vettel’s record from the 2007 Japanese Grand Prix), and the first Dutch winner and race leader. The Netherlands is the 22nd different country to produce a race winner, 64 years after holding its first round of the world championship and 31 years after its last.

This was also Verstappen’s best starting position – fourth – and the first victory in F1 for car number 33. However he lined up behind team mate Daniel Ricciardo, who along with Romain Grosjean sustained his unbeaten qualifying record against his team mate so far this year.

It was the first victory for engines branded as TAG Heuer, though of course the power unit is in fact a Renault. McLaren won 25 races with TAG-branded Porsche engines in the eighties.

Verstappen replaced Daniil Kvyat at Red Bull for this race. With Kvyat moving over to Toro Rosso, this was the first time two F1 drivers have swapped seats between consecutive races since the 1994 European Grand Prix, when Johnny Herbert moved to Ligier in place of Eric Bernard, who in turn took Herbert’s race at Lotus. Coincidentally Herbert changed places again at the very next race, taking over the Benetton seat previous occupied by Verstappen’s father Jos.

The last driver to win a race on his debut for a new team was Fernando Alonso at Ferrari in the 2010 Bahrain Grand Prix. That race was also followed by another new winning driver and team combination – Jenson Button at McLaren.

While Verstappen was achieving his first win, Kvyat scored his first fastest lap – and the first for Toro Rosso, in their 190th race.

Kvyat was reunited with Carlos Sainz Jnr, a driver he has been team mates with three times before: at Eurointernational in Formula BMW Europe in 2010, at Koiranen in Formula Renault 2.0 in 2011 and at Arden in GP3 in 2013.

A long streak of Mercedes success was broken when Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg came to a stop in the turn four gravel trap on lap one. Had either of them won this race Mercedes would have equalled McLaren’s all-time record of 11 consecutive grand prix victories.

Rosberg also missed his chance to equal the record for most consecutive wins at the start of the season – a fifth would have equalled Nigel Mansell’s feat from 1992.

Instead Mercedes ended a 62-race streak of consecutive points finishes, the third-longest in F1 history. The last race which did not feature a Mercedes in the points was the 2012 United States Grand Prix.

As a consolation for the silver team they did pick up their 58th pole position which moves them ahead of Red Bull into fifth place on the all-time table. They’ve been on pole for the last 11 races in a row but managed a streak of 23 over the past two seasons – and even that left them one short of Williams’ all time record.

For a track with a reputation for processional races, the Circuit de Catalunya is at least supplying variety in race winners. Verstappen was the tenth different winner of the Spanish Grand Prix in the last ten years. Not since Schumacher four-race winning streak of 2001-04 has anyone taken consecutive wins at this track.

However Rosberg has the chance to win the same race for the fourth year in a row when the teams assemble for the next round at Monaco.

Drivers’ Chosen Tyres
CiqYkcwWgAACMnA.jpg

Championship Standings
HFzCLsr.png

fWTLg9U.png

F1 is an advertising parade! The politics and engineering aspects are far more interesting than the racing these days.

Monaco is a parade not motor sport imo, it's all about rich sponsors showing off not the racing.

Not today it wasn't!

The most exciting race of the year so far!

Mind you, the pinacle of motorsport and 8 laps from the start behind a safety car?

Was the first race in a long time that kept me hooked. There has to be more to Richardo story, he was really p***ed off! I just hope everyone else keeps up the pace and keep the pressure on the Mercs.

Good race, good result, very sportsmanlike of the other Mercedes, got to give him credit for that.

Good race, good result, very sportsmanlike of the other Mercedes, got to give him credit for that.
Not sure I understand that, where the other mercedes driver is at the moment disobeying team orders might not have been a smart move Unless of course he was suffering an excuse I mean a failure
That was a race of where experiance and skill + shone rather than just skill brilliant

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/124563/rosberg-had-complete-lack-of-confidence

Last edited:
A couple more laps and Hamilton would have lapped Rosberg, that would have been something to see :p.

F1 is an advertising parade! The politics and engineering aspects are far more interesting than the racing these days.

Very happy to have been proved wrong this afternoon. Entertaining for an F1 race, especially given the "circuit".

Drinks on Stu!!!

Not sure I understand that, where the other mercedes driver is at the moment disobeying team orders might not have been a smart move Unless of course he was suffering an excuse I mean a failure
That was a race of where experiance and skill + shone rather than just skill brilliant

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/124563/rosberg-had-complete-lack-of-confidence

I'm pretty sure, had it been the other way around, Lewis would not have moved aside, even if rosberg could overtake him 2 or 3 laps later

Sufficient to say Nico hasnt a contract for 2017 yet for what ever reasons but being the best team player ever must rank high on his list to get one

2016 FORMULA 1 GRAND PRIX DU CANADA

3yW70s4.png

Montreal
Lap length 4.361km (2.71 miles)
Race laps 70
Race distance 305.27km (189.686 miles)
Pole position Left-hand side of the track
Lap record* 1’13.622 (Rubens Barrichello, 2004)
Fastest lap 1’12.275 (Ralf Schumacher, 2004, qualifying two)
Maximum speed 309kph (192.004 mph)
DRS zone/s (race) Pit straight and back straight
Distance from grid to turn one 280m

UK Times
Friday 10th June 2016
Canadian Grand Prix Free Practice 1: 10:00-11:30 (UK time: 15:00-16:30)
Canadian Grand Prix Free Practice 2: 14:00-15:30 (UK time: 19:00-20:30)
Saturday 11th June 2016
Canadian Grand Prix Free Practice 3: 10:00-11:00 (UK time: 15:00-16:00)
Canadian Grand Prix Qualifying: 13:00 (UK time: 18:00)
Sunday 12th June 2016
Canadian Grand Prix: 14:00 (UK time: 19:00)

Previous Winners
2015 United Kingdom Lewis Hamilton Mercedes
2014 Australia Daniel Ricciardo Red Bull-Renault
2013 Germany Sebastian Vettel Red Bull-Renault
2012 United Kingdom Lewis Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes
2011 United Kingdom Jenson Button McLaren-Mercedes
2010 United Kingdom Lewis Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes
2009 Not held
2008 Poland Robert Kubica BMW Sauber
2007 United Kingdom Lewis Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes
2006 Spain Fernando Alonso Renault
2005 Finland Kimi Räikkönen McLaren-Mercedes
2004 Germany Michael Schumacher Ferrari
2003 Germany Michael Schumacher Ferrari
2002 Germany Michael Schumacher Ferrari
2001 Germany Ralf Schumacher Williams-BMW
2000 Germany Michael Schumacher Ferrari

Videos
Schumacher onboard 1992
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xM4rqkJVWls

Senna onboard 1991
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKCjedY_c_A

Facts From Previous Race

Ferrari and the Monaco Grand Prix are two of the most evocative names in grand prix racing. But F1’s most famous team now hasn’t won F1’s most famous race for 15 years. Not since Michael Schumacher’s victory in 2001.

The 44th victory for the driver of car number 44 has been a long time coming by his recent standards. But Lewis Hamilton finally scored not only his first win since clinching his third world championship in October last year, but also his long-awaited second Monaco Grand Prix triumph.

Curiously, at a track where the winner usually comes from pole position, Hamilton won from third on the grid as he did in 2008. Both his Monaco Grand Prix wins also came in the only significantly rain-affected races he’s started at this track.

Victory for Hamilton meant Nico Rosberg’s streak of three consecutive Monaco wins came to an end. Ayrton Senna’s record run of five in a row, set between 1989 and 1993, is safe for now. Mercedes took their fourth Monaco win in a row, leaving them two shy of McLaren’s record of six scored between 1988 and 1993.

Hamilton has now won grands prix in ten consecutive seasons of racing – every year’s he’s competed in Formula One. That equals Alain Prost’s achievement between 1981 and 1990 and leaves only Michael Schumacher’s 15-year-long streak from 1992 to 2006 left to beat. Hamilton also added the 29th fastest lap of his career, putting him fifth on the all-time list.

Daniel Ricciardo was denied his fourth grand prix victory, which means he and Hamilton now have as many grand prix victories as their race numbers – 3 and 44 respectively. Continuing the theme, Mercedes now have 50 grand prix victories which happens to be the sum of their two drivers’ race numbers: 44 and 6. One more win will put them level with Red Bull.

It will be of little consolation to Ricciardo that he took his first pole position. He is the 97th driver to start a race from the front and was the first new pole sitter since Pastor Maldonado in the 2012 Spanish Grand Prix.

Ricciardo is also the only driver to have out-qualified his team mate at every race this year, as Esteban Gutierrez beat Romain Grosjean for the first time at Monaco.

This was the first time in 11 races that a grand prix began with something other than a Mercedes on pole position. The team’s 11-race streak of pole positions is the sixth-longest of all time.

Sergio Perez took his sixth podium finish and the fourth for Force India, all bar one of which he is responsible for. It’s a galling outcome for Nico Hulkenberg, however: he finished his 100th career F1 start without a podium once more while his team mate, who will reach the same century at the next race, has taken half-a-dozen from 99 starts.

All 6 of his podiums have been in races won by Lewis Hamilton

If Hulkenberg ever finishes on the podium he will break Martin Brundle’s record of taking 91 starts to achieve a podium finish. The record for most starts without a podium finish is held by Adrian Sutil, with 128.

For the fifth race running Williams achieved the fastest complete pit stop time for one of their drivers. As Valtteri Bottas failed to score Felipe Massa is now the only driver in the field who has scored points in every race so far this year.

Drivers’ Chosen Tyres
P0Pelhg.png

Championship Standings
g76m69H.png

6ELwltJ.png

I like Canada, nice flowing circuit. Surprised at the top speed though given the length of the straight out of the hairpin, I guess the teams must run it as a full downforce track.

I haven't watched F1 for so long, that it surprised me how much the teams have changed! Vettel switching teams was surprising, thought he'd be with Red Bull forever! Good to see Kimi back, last I heard he was in WRC!

A good and uncertain race, but the right result in the end, unless you're German that is. :) These extra tyre choices certainly keep things mixed up with a wider option of strategies and Lewis seems to have got it spot on in the last two.

There was a massive crash in the Indycar race on at the same time as the F1. He really was lucky it wasn't fatal.

It was interesting what max said about Rosberg
He said he knew nico was braking way late and would not be able to take the chicane but he didnt expect him to spin If he knew that how come Nico didnt?
This raises the old question can Nico race well under pressure and after Monaco can he race in rain
Lewis was, well what can you say, he just did the job with no fuss
And Max, what a lad so skilled at his age

Just too add Nico is a little upset with the aggressive move by Lewis at the start
Really??? "pot kettle and black" me thinks
http://formulaspy.com/formula-1/formula-1-news/rosberg-p***ed-off-hamilton-start-26944-26944

It was interesting what max said about Rosberg
He said he knew nico was braking way late and would not be able to take the chicane but he didnt expect him to spin If he knew that how come Nico didnt?
This raises the old question can Nico race well under pressure and after Monaco can he race in rain
Lewis was, well what can you say, he just did the job with no fuss
And Max, what a lad so skilled at his age

Agreed, when the pressure builds Nico always seems to be lacking.

There was a massive crash in the Indycar race on at the same time as the F1. He really was lucky it wasn't fatal.
Newgarden is 100% lucky, the SAFER barrier did exactly what it was meant too. Daly would have been in trouble if there hadn't been a car between him and the barrier as he was going to hit the wall at a pretty much dead on 90 degree trajectory (aka Gordon Smiley in 1982 at the 500).

2016 FORMULA 1 GRAND PRIX OF EUROPE

6wDXUis.png

Baku

UK Times
Friday 17th June 2016
European Grand Prix Free Practice 1: 14:00-15:30 (UK time: 10:00-11:30)
European Grand Prix Free Practice 2: 18:00-19:30 (UK time: 14:00-15:30)
Saturday 18th June 2016
European Grand Prix Free Practice 3: 15:00-16:00 (UK time: 11:00-12:00)
European Grand Prix Qualifying: 18:00 (UK time: 14:00)
Sunday 19th June 2016
European Grand Prix: 18:00 (UK time: 14:00)

Previous Winners
Valencia
2012 Spain Fernando Alonso Ferrari
2011 Germany Sebastian Vettel Red Bull-Renault
2010 Germany Sebastian Vettel Red Bull-Renault
2009 Brazil Rubens Barrichello Brawn-Mercedes
2008 Brazil Felipe Massa Ferrari
Nürburgring
2007 Spain Fernando Alonso McLaren-Mercedes
2006 Germany Michael Schumacher Ferrari
2005 Spain Fernando Alonso Renault
2004 Germany Michael Schumacher Ferrari
2003 Germany Ralf Schumacher Williams-BMW
2002 Brazil Rubens Barrichello Ferrari
2001 Germany Michael Schumacher Ferrari
2000 Germany Michael Schumacher Ferrari
1999 United Kingdom Johnny Herbert Stewart-Ford

Videos
Demo lap
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQgAET0KczI

Ted Kravitz preview
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJBjdtAHmNc

Facts From Previous Race

Lewis Hamilton took his fifth victory at the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve in Canada.

It moved him closer to the record of Michael Schumacher, the most successful F1 driver at the Canadian circuit, who won there seven times. Schumacher holds the record for most wins at the same venue three times over, with seven wins in Montreal and Imola, and an outright record of eight at Magny-Cours.

Hamilton’s 45th career win was the 51st for Mercedes, which draws them level with Red Bull.

Hamilton recorded his 53rd career pole position on Saturday. He is no longer able to equal Schumacher’s all-time record of 68 pole positions this year but he could reach Ayrton Senna’s former record of 65 before the end of the season if he takes pole for at least 12 of the remaining 14 races. Similarly, six more wins this year will see Hamilton tie with Alain Prost as the second-most successful grand prix driver in terms of race victories.

Hamilton’s pole position time of 1’12.812 was 0.537 seconds slower than the fastest lap ever seen on this configuration of the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve. That was the 1’12.275 set by Ralf Schumacher in a Williams-BMW during Q2 in 2004.

Nico Rosberg took his 13th front row in a row, setting a new personal best. He also took the 17th fastest lap of his career equalling Rubens Barrichello.

However both Mercedes drivers lost places on the first lap of the race. This team have been the worst starters of the season so far, with Hamilton and Rosberg making a net loss of 15 positions on the first lap of races so far this year – not to mention their disastrous collision in Spain.

Felipe Massa’s retirement from the race means no driver will be able to score points in every race this year. Daniel Ricciardo sustained his perfect record of out-qualifying his team mate at every race.

Drivers’ Chosen Tyres
ULad23g.jpg

Championship Standings
mMaSQJ4.png

4y7jiox.png

Wonder how the new Aussie will go, shame Webber was always in the shadow of someone else.

It's not a bad shadow to be in, isn't he the most successful driver on the grid technically? He might be 2nd or 3rd on some stats but as it stands, he's the only one with 4 world championships.

I'll add I didn't like vettel at red bull, far too cocky and I cheered at silverstone 2013, when I saw him break down on the track during the race, but he's not so bad now. I think he is proving he won the championships and it wasn't just the car.

First impressions of the new track, it seems a similar style of street circuit to Monaco but with high speed and overtaking opportunities. Those walls look just as hard as well as a few have found out already to their cost. Could be quite exciting to watch but I can't see the safety car being left out of the fun on such a narrow track.

Yes the walls are hard
Grid line up interesting lets see if Seb can frighten Nico or maybe Daniel can do that job

Back