I've stopped using FRV. Images don't look the same as in lightroom - they would often appear unacceptably soft but were fine with LRs baseline sharpening.

Are you aware that FRV has three levels of sharpness (including no sharpening) to choose between, and you can customise how sharp the two sharp settings are by setting them in the preferences.

Hitting "S" toggles round the three settings or you can click on the "USM" button in the lower tool bar. There are also visual assessments of sharpness by clicking on the E or D, which work a bit like focus peaking in cameras.

Having said that, I don't cull in FRV, but use Photo Mechanic for culling with FRV on a hot key in PM to open files in FRV for a more detailed technical assessment of "difficult" images.

Are you aware that FRV has three levels of sharpness (including no sharpening) to choose between, and you can customise how sharp the two sharp settings are by setting them in the preferences.

Hitting "S" toggles round the three settings or you can click on the "USM" button in the lower tool bar. There are also visual assessments of sharpness by clicking on the E or D, which work a bit like focus peaking in cameras.

Having said that, I don't cull in FRV, but use Photo Mechanic for culling with FRV on a hot key in PM to open files in FRV for a more detailed technical assessment of "difficult" images.

I wasn't (or hadn't remembered) although I've a feeling I did try 'sharpening' at one point. Thanks Graham. For me, it's a tool looking for a need.

I wasn't (or hadn't remembered) although I've a feeling I did try 'sharpening' at one point. Thanks Graham. For me, it's a tool looking for a need.
I bought it mainly to get the raw histogram, as that wasn't available in anything else I had, and the only way to properly assess (and learn) about how well you are exposing things.

I'm still using it for this as it launches quickly from inside PM, but I'm also using RawTherapee more, and it uses a raw histogram by default because it doesn't add a tone curve to the raw when rendering.

I've stopped using FRV. Images don't look the same as in lightroom - they would often appear unacceptably soft but were fine with LRs baseline sharpening. And as pointed out you can't do side by side comparison. In the end I got fed up culling twice in 2 packages, especially when I'd binned and recovered some images because of apparent softness that wasn't real.

If I have a LOT of images - 1000+ - then I use it, but otherwise not.
I know what you mean. I've started to view the jpeg previews which is a better representation, and have made a note to check the rejected files later. I am using it currently as my first step, but may resort to buying Photo Mechanic.

Today I shot with two cameras, and I usually date time stamp my images so that they appear chronological.... but I discovered somehow one camera has tomorrow in the Exif! I think Photo Mechanic could rename the date in the Exif. I've used Lightroom to force the filenames with today's date and then the time, but the Exif will still be wrong :rolleyes:

I didn't know that - thanks Graham

I believe it can! It keeps calling 'buy me, buy me!' :giggle:

Edit: I just watched the video - so powerful!! I could tweak the time by a matter of seconds to ensure everything is properly chronological when using two cameras. If it's important I do usually synchronise the times on the cameras beforehand, but they will vary over time. It wasn't too important today, it was just a leisure thing, but definitely worth knowing about.

Last edited:
Does it use much disk space and processing power as my old PC is really feeling the strain at the moment
Not sure how relevant this is to a PC, but download for the Mac is 52Mb and on my 2011 MacBook air (4gb RAM) it runs fine. With some files (RAF but not NEFs) it renders noticeably. slower than my desktop Mac, but I find RAFs to be a bit slower than NEFs with all my software.

I've just realised that the posts immediately before yours, were about Photo Mechanic, was your question about Fast Raw Viewer (subject of the thread title) or about Photo Mechanic. My answer was for FRV.

Last edited:
A small recommendation for FastRawViewer. I've just tried using FRV and on the whole found that it works for me.

I liked......
- The interface: tidy and modern
- The fact that it worked with the fact that I often shoot RAW+JPEG. When I rejected an image FRV moved both the RAW file and the JPEG into the reject folder.
- The XMP files generated when you star rate an image. These are compatible with DigiKam, my current DAM.
- That it fits into my simple workflow: download images from card, cull using FRV, drop resultant set into suitably named folder, refresh DigiKam database to incorporate new images and then onto processing.

I felt it well worth the small fee for the license.

Obviously my positive rating needs to be taken in the context that I'm not a LR/PS user and therefore I'm not saying anything about their capabilities.

So a :plus1: here for FastRawViewer.

Back