Ffordes Now Wont Honour Warranty

This is what Ffordes are saying..........:bang::wacky:
cleardot.gif
Steve Byford

to me
show details 28 Oct (5 days ago)

James,
Your annoyance should be directed to Canon, it is not just a screen that it required it is the holder for the screen which is a spare part not a user changeable item, Lehmanns the Canon repair agents did not have this in stock and we are waiting for them to supply it, when we have this your camera can be fixed relatively quickly and returned to us/you.
Ultimately if it was just the screen that was damaged then the camera would have been back with you a while ago but it is not.

All though I can understand your annoyance, This is is not in the hands of Ffordes, if they are waiting for parts it is out of their hands , As they say if canon do not have the part Ffordes can not magic one out of thin air.

It does seem to be beyond FFordes control to be fair.

I agree beyond their control, but keeping the customer up to date with an email every few days is not.

Things do go wrong, but customer services is all about handling those times and although it looks like on the whole they are a good bunch I think they dropped the ball on this one.

The camera was obviously not thoroughly checked over as they say they are before it was sold to me,was not just a few pounds it cost me £749.:bang:

Yet another week of waiting just starting.:bonk::bang::thumbsdown:

Yet another week of waiting just starting.:bonk::bang::thumbsdown:

Assuming you paid by credit card simply contact them and explain the situation to them and request that they refund your money and take it up with Ffordes themselves.

Why not ring them up and talk to them? Suggest to them you'd like to return the camera and all accessories and get a full refund as it wasn't in the condition you'd expect for the price you paid. See what they say. Then get one from somewhere else.

I think i paid Ffordes using paypal for this camera,can check it out though,if there is no good news by the end of this week i will take steps to recover my money.:bang:
Having checked,i paid them with a direct debit card.

Last edited:
I have just sent an e-mail to them which they should read in the morning,basicly saying i am at the end of my patience now.
"I am seriously thinking about talking to the citizen,s advice now to see how i stand about getting my money back,i just can,t wait anymore as i need a camera."
:bang::bonk::puke::(

Weird got an answer back saying calm down the camera has just arrived back,now thats a coinscidence.
Once you pay for the repair we will send it out to you,not a chance says i,it is under warranty which is running down because of the time you have had it,so i want my warrany extended,waiting for a reply.:bang:
I will take this all the road, now they dont intend to honour the warranty?

Last edited:
Was payment for the repair/warranty cover not discussed before the camera was sent to them?

I hope you don't feel like I'm picking on you/having a go but there genuinely seems to be more to the story than meets the eye.

If they took the camera back from you shortly after purchase under the premise of fixing the problem under the warranty they give on used equipment and are now trying to charge you for the repair then that is very concerning and would definitely put me off buying used equipment from them.

From what I've read however, it sounds more like you bought the camera, got some use out of it, contacted them a few weeks later to say it needs a new focus screen, they have said "Send it in for repair", there's presumably been no discussion of cost etc, the whole saga of taking ages and now they want paid.

In which case they have deemed the problem to not be covered by the warranty and will have been dealing with you with no regard to your purchase transaction and would be under no obligation to extend the warranty. (You wouldn't expect them to extend the warranty if you dropped the camera, sent it somewhere else for a repair that took ages and you told them that your camera had been sitting unused for x number of weeks).

However if this second scenario is closer to what has happened then I'd say that you might have a case against them for not making you aware of the cost before the repair was carried out.

How did it become apparent that the focus screen needed replacing? Why didn't you notice sooner? I suspect they think you broke it.

If the repair cost wasn't discussed beforehand (and you didn't break it) then I'd be insisting on a full refund as the camera wasn't as described and has become faulty quickly. If you paid top money for it then you'd expect it to be in perfect working order, especially if the condition listed was one of the higher ones.

Ffordes are fine when things go to plan. I've bought many things off them. However, I bought an E++ T90 off them a while ago and the stop down lever was completely seized on arrival so it hadn't been checked before it went out. I sent it back (at my expense) and received a replacement that was nowhere near as good condition. I told them about this but got no response and couldn't be arsed to follow it up. Their communication is poor. Shame as they always have stuff that I want.

I think i paid Ffordes using paypal for this camera,can check it out though,if there is no good news by the end of this week i will take steps to recover my money.:bang:
Having checked,i paid them with a direct debit card.

Never, never pay for items over £100 with a debit card, even if you have the cash use a credit card, that way the cc company are jointly liable with the retailer.

Firstly i did not break anything,i did not notice for a few weeks as i did not use it a lot at first.
The focus screen which i noticed later had some marks on it,i have a 6 month warranty on this camera 2 months has been used up by them because of the time they have had it.
Once they got the canera they sent me a small repair document qhich stated on it "repair warranty-yes".
I have told them to either send the camera back or i am taking it to the citizens advice to pursue a refund.

Their latest mail this morning stating how much they want.
"
The cost of repairs are £90 and postage back to you is £7.50, so £97.50 in total."

Phone them... just get on the phone and sort it out one way or the other... simple.

It,s not that simple at all ,they are not budging on it & want me to pay it or they wont post the camera back to me until i do,thats it.:bang:

It's a trading standards job then. If the repair document said 'warranty repair - yes' then as far as you're concerned it should be at their cost.

I was going to buy some more things from ffordes. But if this is their attitude then they can stuff it. I'll take my money elsewhere.

The other alternative is to pay the bill but under duress then take the to the small claims court or Scottish equivalent to get your money back.

Your home insurance may have a legal helpline. They're often quite helpful.

Talk to paypal. They have a dispute resolution thing and you may be able to get your money back via them as you essentially paid by paypal. Be quick though as I think you may only be able to get your money back within 3 months of purchase.

I phoned them & paid their ramsome money under duress,so i should have it back tomorrow.
I have told them this is not finished with & i plan to speak to citizens advice about it,but i really need my camera back after 2 months i was climbing the walls
They are great at taking your money & sound great with their customer service but getting them to stand by their warranty thats a joke.
This is the first & last time i will ever use Ffordes again,so just be wary where you buy.:bang::bonk::rules:

I would quite simply go to the store, even if it is a long way to travel.

When I decide that the dispute resolution is not working, I tend to find that raising your voice in store when it's busy works quite well.

Steve

this is an absolute farce.
Pay by CC and then get a charge back on it - and get them to sing for it.

I am appalled at them charging for an item that is meant to be covered by warranty (from their own paperwork).

Defo one to avoid.....

As i say this matter is no way at an end:bang:

Finally got my camera back today,they would not extend my warranty even though they had it for 2 months,once they get your money you dont matter,worst people i have ever bought from but my last.:bang::thumbsdown:

Nope these are rip off merchants.:bang::thumbsdown:

2 lessons learnt matey, first always pay by credit card and second dont buy from Ffordes!

I really missed my camera being away for 2 months,it is brilliant now.
I know i should have used the credit card ho hum,still Ffordes have lost a customer as i wont buy from them ever again,all done.:wave:

Did they tell you why they wouldn't honour the warranty?

I'd assume they suspect some damage that wouldn't be covered (ie not a manufactuer defect)

What did Citizens advice bureau tell you? I would be very annoyed by this, but luckily I had an early and fairly cheap lesson from another shameless re-seller based in Birmingham. Never again I shall buy from a 2nd hand serial dealer. CC payment can help, but not as much, as they will do everything to delay and cheat.

Did they tell you why they wouldn't honour the warranty?

I'd assume they suspect some damage that wouldn't be covered (ie not a manufactuer defect)
When they say i have to foot the bill then they are not sticking to their warranty of 6 months they give you.
They had it for 2 months,wont extend it,they said the focus screen was damaged after they sold it to me.
A very easy way to get out of anything eh?,they are lying through their teeth,anyway i have decided i just can,t be arsed nor do i have the time to waste chasing this up,their loss.:bonk::|:puke:

Ask them to chase it up with whoever they used to post the item. If they claim it was undamaged when they sent it then the likelihood is the carrier damaged it or they did not package it adequately. Say you want to claim for the cost of the repair from the carrier as you did not break it!

You dont understand,the focus screen inside the camera can only get scratched if someone has had it out,&mi suspect where this one came from was not checked over as they say they always do.
Anyway i am just going to leave it at that now,done & dusted.

Ah. I see. That's even worse for them not to honour the warranty then as it is highly unlikely a purchaser would take the camera to pieces!

Well at least the focus is spot on now & the camera is spotless inside,so thats it finished with now,thanks for your replies.(y):)

This literally sounds like a different Ffordes than the one I've had several dealings with. They've always been efficient and fair in their dealings and unlike other places have a very honest grading system. Don't they have a money back guarantee in place? Surely that would be your first port of call with a camera not to your liking.

Just time to move on now,thanks all,i still will never use them again though:thumbsdown:

I think it's a bit unfair on the company to make allegations against them without backing them up :( I haven't dealt with them but know a couple of people who have and they have nothing but good to say about them.

I'm not doubting your experience here, but IMO you should answer the questions that have been put to you, to clarify what happened so we can make an informed decision as to whether or not to buy from them in the future :shrug:

This is not a court,all been explained already on here thats all now.:bang:

I just realised, £90 for a new focus screen?!
Focus screen + foil surround + full sensor clean on my girlfriend's 5D = £52 at AJ Johnston's about a month ago.

Back