Fill flash in strong sunlight?

The goblin

<span class="poty">POTY Winner 2015</span></br>
Name
Marsha
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi

I am needing some guidance for fill flash? I currently live in Cyprus so bright sunlight is a problem pretty much all day! I really need to start using fill flash for shadows. But I REALLY don't have a clue with flashes!

Any advice or websites where I can get learning how to use them? Or basic tips? I have two Canon 430EX ii's that pretty much never get used! I have a Canon 5D iii and triggers so I can get OCF. I have also bought a shoot through umbrella and hardly used it!

I am getting a lot of requests to photograph friends at the beach. Now I'm pretty handy at lifting shadows in LR and photoshop but that gets time consuming and I'd like to get it right in camera!

I have tried a reflector (silver side) but it blinds people! The white side isn't strong enough.
I have tried shooting just before sunset but the golden hour is crazy it's THAT golden and everyone is orange and that needs toning down or a custom WB setting!

We get amazing sunsets here and I rather like this not completely silhouetted shot:

04 Nov 2014_78

But if I wanted to photograph them facing me with the lovely sunset behind (with flash) would I take a meter reading off the sky, lock it then focus on the family?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Hi Marsha. You say the silver reflector is blinding them, why not maybe consider a Trigrip Difflector from Lastolite? They're less dazzling and far easier to hold than a normal '5 in 1' type. You can get soft silver or sunfire and they also double up as a diffuser too. A great piece of kit!

Thanks. I have read that link before, it certainly makes more sense reading it again!

Hi Marsha. You say the silver reflector is blinding them, why not maybe consider a Trigrip Difflector from Lastolite? They're less dazzling and far easier to hold than a normal '5 in 1' type. You can get soft silver or sunfire and they also double up as a diffuser too. A great piece of kit!

Thanks, I think I'll add one to my Christmas list, might just get it here in time :)

I'm going out this aft to try again, I'll see what happens. I was practising on my daughters dolls this morning with varying results!

I've read that strobist blog, not sure my over tired brain cells can digest half of that!

Liking the second article about bouncing flash off non white walls. Although I wish I could nip to Manhattan for a one on one tutorial!!!

I tried flash last week, I made the mistake of looking at the LCD screen at the time which made all their teeth look like they were glowing so I took it off! Actually back home it wasn't that bad, but still quite dark! Think I need more practice!

But if I wanted to photograph them facing me with the lovely sunset behind (with flash) would I take a meter reading off the sky, lock it then focus on the family?

Any advice greatly appreciated.
There's probably a half dozen ways to go about it settings wise... But you could take that image exactly as you did and simply add fill flash in manual.

If trying to keep the sunset/bright sky you will either need to use HSS/FP/HS with a compatible strobe; or you will need ND filters to allow SS's w/in sync speed.

For bright sunlit fill in Flash I would suggest going the simple route first and then tweaking till you get the results you want.

First of just try you gun and camera in standard auto mode, Canon used to have quite a good built in fill flash system that might work fine for you.

Second if the auto results are not to you liking, either too much or too little fill just use the flashguns compensation setting.

The old golden rule for fill flash was always set the flash to five 1.5 stops less exposure than the camera is giving, that was always a good starting point and might well work for you.

Don't burden yourself down with too much technique and you will be surprised just how simple fill in flash can be.

Paul

Fill flash is easy to get right nowadays. I just put my camera in manual mode, work out my exposure without flash, take a couple of test shots to make sure it looks the way I want, then switch on the flash, put it in TTL let it do it's stuff while you keep your original manual camera settings and see how it looks. Chimp and chimp again.

Too much flash? Dial it down. Too little flash? Dial it up. Repeat until you see the setting you prefer.

Once you get a feel for it you'll find you'll know the best settings to start with.

I'd also suggest Neil Van Niekerk's site linked above. Theres an enormous amount of information there.

Last edited:
that image you have there is perfect. Itr's probably a stop or two darker than you would want if they were turned the other way so just take the settings you had and add flash - The issue you may have is getting the flash fairly close if you need the power - but you can clone it out if you have a similar shot without the flash there.

I am however assuming your shutter speed is at or lower than your max sync speed - if not you need to adjust aperture/iso to get the SS in the range you need

Last edited:
that image you have there is perfect. Itr's probably a stop or two darker than you would want if they were turned the other way so just take the settings you had and add flash - The issue you may have is getting the flash fairly close if you need the power - but you can clone it out if you have a similar shot without the flash there.

I am however assuming your shutter speed is at or lower than your max sync speed - if not you need to adjust aperture/iso to get the SS in the range you need
What Jim said, although you ought to be able to balance the low evening sun quite easily, it's nowhere near 'bright sun' which requires a lot of flash power to fight.
Not written for photographers, but there's some info here

I think I would take three shots in bracketing mode, with flash, and combine them. Just make the group stand still and process the pictures in 30 sec in Lightroom. Should do the trick. Have you thought of this as an idea ?

Lot of work for no reason. Easy to get right in camera

Move to the UK your sun issues will be gone...lol

I like the image, it works for me, I also see a few closer crops that work well to and place emphasis on the low setting sun and light on the subjects. However I do like a flash or two :D

Your white reflector is too far away/small. In your shot above it would likely have to be within frame. You could remove it in post, if you took two shots with a tripod.

If you are going the fill-flash way, don't forget to gel your flash to a warmer colour temperature as well, otherwise it will look weird.

I think I would take three shots in bracketing mode, with flash, and combine them. Just make the group stand still and process the pictures in 30 sec in Lightroom. Should do the trick. Have you thought of this as an idea ?

HI, yes I have thought about this, but I can't get adults to stand still, let alone a 2, 3, 4 or 5 year old! No chance!

Move to the UK your sun issues will be gone...lol

I like the image, it works for me, I also see a few closer crops that work well to and place emphasis on the low setting sun and light on the subjects. However I do like a flash or two :D

I have to change my shoots here every time due to the intensity of the waves! Lat time these rocks were completely submerged!

And yes, we move back early next year. Currently in the UK house shopping and loving all the cloud! Not so much the rain though but it's nicer than the intense heat put there!

Your white reflector is too far away/small. In your shot above it would likely have to be within frame. You could remove it in post, if you took two shots with a tripod.

If you are going the fill-flash way, don't forget to gel your flash to a warmer colour temperature as well, otherwise it will look weird.

I never used a reflector here. I need to get some gel's, that may explain why I never like using flash!

Somewhat of a thread revival from 2014! :eek:

Lol I know! But I asked a similar question this year but for a different time of day! I'd forgotten about this post! Shows how much I login and learn!

But I do have some flash gels to play with now! Best learn how to use them!!!

If you crop the left hand side wreck and add a profound message along the bottom you could sell this image to one of those motivational poster publishing companies. ;)

Hi Marsha. I see this is an old post but hey ho the information would still stand for us/me learning.
I would have been well chuffed with the above image :)
I was just wondering if you ever did get this fill flash sorted ? Or did I miss that post ?

Gaz

Lol no! Because it still scares me and I run away bravely!

I have the gel's now and I really must have a go with them! It'll be bloody typical that I master it now with only a few months left on island!

I am staying out at a villa Wednesday night so I may take the flash and practice on the family!

Lol no! Because it still scares me and I run away bravely!

I have the gel's now and I really must have a go with them! It'll be bloody typical that I master it now with only a few months left on island!

I am staying out at a villa Wednesday night so I may take the flash and practice on the family!
:) I like the truth and your sense of humour. Most of all keep taking images like the one posted above, as it's fab.

Gaz

Hi,
I live in Malta so I know what you ate talking about. I deal with the same sunlight issues and I've started to enjoy sunset shoots. I normally use 2 speedlights to get enough strength to over power the sun. I gel my lights too.
I'm no expert, but what I do is dial in my ambient exposure to where I want it to be then I add the lights. I manually set my lights, start at half power and move up or down from there.
Here's a recent shot I just did....
7-5.jpg

Sorry I've not been on TP much recently, school holiday time warp!

Hi,
I live in Malta so I know what you ate talking about. I deal with the same sunlight issues and I've started to enjoy sunset shoots. I normally use 2 speedlights to get enough strength to over power the sun. I gel my lights too.
I'm no expert, but what I do is dial in my ambient exposure to where I want it to be then I add the lights. I manually set my lights, start at half power and move up or down from there.
Here's a recent shot I just did....
View attachment 70353

Wow that's lovely. This is the kind of thing I need. I have two 430 ex ii's but only one light stand. I think I need to get my kids down the beach this week and practice on them.

Do you use any kind of modifier? The wind here can be a bit of a bugger, so anything I could use has the potential of turning into a wind sail!

For ambient exposure, I take it you meter for the sky/ sunset? Sorry if this sounds dim, I am dim on this subject!

Sorry I've not been on TP much recently, school holiday time warp!

Wow that's lovely. This is the kind of thing I need. I have two 430 ex ii's but only one light stand. I think I need to get my kids down the beach this week and practice on them.

Do you use any kind of modifier? The wind here can be a bit of a bugger, so anything I could use has the potential of turning into a wind sail!

For ambient exposure, I take it you meter for the sky/ sunset? Sorry if this sounds dim, I am dim on this subject!

This was shot with bare flashes. My light stands were in the water and I was very scared that they would get blown over so not to create a sail as you say I chose to go with no diffusion. The lighting is a bit funky but I like it.
Meter for the sky and then add the lights.

Love the shot & lighting,well done.:):clap:

This was shot with bare flashes. My light stands were in the water and I was very scared that they would get blown over so not to create a sail as you say I chose to go with no diffusion. The lighting is a bit funky but I like it.
Meter for the sky and then add the lights.

Thank you. I need to get out and try but my kids are young versions of Kevin and perry!

Back