Theme for film postcard challenge round 3

• Film titles, based on Oscar best picture nominations

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • Book titles, based on 100 favourite books

Votes: 5 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hi Steve, welcome back mate. :wave:

Welcome back Steve, good to have you back. I don't see any reason why you can't join in the latest postcard challenge.

Can i suggest going further back than 2000? With the song titles there was no limit, and i think as there is a list for us to 'guess' from, a few more wouldn't hurt.

Not a problem if not

Andy has a point, is there any reason why we're restricting it to the films since 2000?

Last edited:
So, the way I propose this works is that I send a PM to all participants with my email address. You each send me an email with your name and postal address. I collate these and then email the full list back to all participants.

Pick a theme, go out and shoot it, then get at least 12 postcards printed (or print them yourselves). Don't put your chosen film title on the postcard, it's up to the recipients to guess. But do remember to identify yourself with your TP username! Post out to the other participants. Bear in mind it's possible other folk will ask to be added at a later date; this might be possible up to a certain point (say when the first participant posts out their cards) but we'll take a view on extra participants later.

Last time I got my cards printed by Moo.com; I think I had to get more than 12 cards printed, but I haven't checked yet. There may well be other providers, I'm sure someone will comment. If you're printing your own, you'll need a pretty heavyweight paper (or light card) to survive the rigours of the postal system.

I suggest we allow shots taken since this thread opened. Shots must be made on film, but can be PP'd as you like.

Once you have received cards, try and guess the film, and comment on here, but don't reveal yet. We'll wait until all have been sent (or most, it's possible not everyone will complete).

At the "end", we'll create the thread for your images, plus film title, and @RaglanSurf has offered to make a mosaic as well.

Is that everything? If so I'll add these instructions into the first post. Right, off we go!

Sounds good to me Chris :)

Can i suggest going further back than 2000? With the song titles there was no limit, and i think as there is a list for us to 'guess' from, a few more wouldn't hurt.

Not a problem if not

I personally think back to 2000 is just right, if we're doing all nominations for Best Picture, then there will be almost 120 to pick from! That's going to be hard enough to guess haha

Sounds good to me Chris :)

I personally think back to 2000 is just right, if we're doing all nominations for Best Picture, then there will be almost 120 to pick from! That's going to be hard enough to guess haha
True but we placed no restrictions on the song title challenge and had some great interpretations.

Hi,

I've been away for a while and just returned. Nice to be back. Am I too late to add my name to the list?

Thanks
Steve

Welcome back Steve... added!

My problem with the song title one was that I had no clue on most of them (maybe because I spent much of the relevant period abroad), and it was completely open-ended. Also many songs had titles that one might not know even if knowing the song. It was Nick's 100 best books idea that gave me the idea of a limited list. However, in both cases (films and books) there are many, many titles that pretty much rule themselves out of a photographic interpretation. So I'm happy to go with any film title for nominated for best picture or equivalent award from the Wikipedia list I pointed to. It's still a list so it should be helpful when we receive the postcards. So ruled! :)

I was only thinking of going back to 1980 just to give a little more choice, but like i said, it's not a problem if not.

PMs now sent, in batches of up to 5 as per conversation limits.

Blimey, that's quick, I have 7 names and addresses already! Thanks folks.

BTW I'm assuming everyone will be able to read a Word document (.docx), since that's how I'm collecting the information; if anyone can't, please let me know.

Excellent stuff, many thanks for organising this, Chris! (y)

I shall now endeavour to follow my usual workflow of forgetting all about this until at least half the other entries have been posted and discussed here, then rushing out some half-arsed nonsense. :)

So I have everyone's details except @srichards ... come on Suz, arse-gear interface needed! :D

Actually there's no rush, unless someone is super-organised... was it @FishyFish who got his expired film photos taken, lab devved and home scanned all the same day????:eek::jawdrop:

So I have everyone's details except @srichards ... come on Suz, arse-gear interface needed! :D

Actually there's no rush, unless someone is super-organised... was it @FishyFish who got his expired film photos taken, lab devved and home scanned all the same day????:eek::jawdrop:

Sorry. I didn't intend to take part only stick my beak into the discussion a bit :)

OK, will take you off the list. In which case we have all addresses. Does anyone object to me including their email addresses in what I circulate? I'm assuming not!

OK, will take you off the list. In which case we have all addresses. Does anyone object to me including their email addresses in what I circulate? I'm assuming not!
Not a problem Chris, let's get it rolling.

Actually I've just realised I don't have @Mr Badger 's details yet...

Go for it

Still calling @Mr Badger for address details via email as per PM sent... :wave:

Sorry Chris, as I said I doubt I'd have time to enter and I don't want to be holding everyone up, so please press on without me. I'll be lurking in the thread from time to time to see what's going on though, and to make encouraging noises if required! Best of luck everyone. (y)

Thanks Mr B... as I said in PM, if you want to join in later, just let us know, I'm sure this won't be over quickly!

I'll try to send the address details round tomorrow... or Monday... ;)

Adress list emailed to participants... so, we're off! Time to choose your film title and get snapping, folks. I'll try and bump this thread if it falls off the bottom of the page, but meanwhile any comments on progress welcome...

Anyone made any progress yet? This completely slipped my mind until I was archiving some emails and stumbled across the one for this challenge!

Not yet, hoping to get something in the can over easter.

I'd be eggstatic if I managed to get something sorted over Easter but I'd need to shell out on developing them. :D

Sadly not - I keep seeing the email in my inbox to remind me, and feeling a pang of guilt :D

Oh, thank you, everyone! I don't have to start off on my guilt trip for being so far behind everyone for another month at least. :)

I've had a look at the list of films today (so well ahead, yeah...). Hmmm. I did think of shooting the sign for Gosford Park Primary School in Coventry, but I don't think it's supposed to be quite so blatant. So far I've only got one idea but no clue as to how to realise it!

I've been a bit neglectful of this... it was seeing Nick's post in the "redscale challenge" thread to the effect that he had enough on his plate keeping up with FPOTY, the postcard challenge, etc... "postcard challenge?" I thought to myself, "did we... oh yes, it was me!"

So, time to check up on those Oscar nominated film titles, and get snapping.

(This forum has been much too quiet in the past few days, I thought I'd better ginger it up a bit!)

Back