• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ChrisR

I'm a well known grump...
Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
The first film postcard challenge was here, results here, and the second round is here. I really enjoyed these, and liked the guessing component of the second challenge ( song title; the theme of the first was simply where we live). It seems like it might be time to try this again, if there's enough interest.

So, the idea... first of all, those interested reply on here, and I'll add a list at the bottom of this post. Second, we choose a theme. Third, we each go off and shoot something according to the theme. Fourth, we get our chosen shots printed up as postcards, and post them (in the genuine, real, steam royal fail post) to the other challenge members (which means there's another step in there in which I gather addresses and PM or email those addresses to everyone). Supposedly all the shots to be taken and posted within a month, which is fine as long as it's a typically elastic F&C month (EDIT: or 3)!

In the first challenge the idea was to put all the received postcards up on the wall, take a shot of that and put it up in a thread. Last time we didn't do that, although IIRC @RaglanSurf made a nice collage of the postcards for us.

Theme? I've got two ideas, both involving the guessing element. One is a shameless crib from last time, but with film titles. The second is "place"; the idea being to take a picture that represents a place (not necessarily where you live) with a reasonable chance of identifying the place from the shot. Either of these appeal? Any other ideas? EDIT: famous book titles suggested... EDIT: chosen theme is film titles from the list of best picture (or equivalent) Oscar nominations since 2000 from this wikipedia article...

I think that's about it.

Anyone actually interested? It does involve spending real money getting your postcards printed and posting them, of course..

List of participants to date:

@ChrisR
@andy0306
@Andysnap
@Carl Hall
@desf
@FishyFish
@mothdust
@Mr Badger
@RaglanSurf
@robhooley167
@Steve
@Strappy

EDIT: @srichards removed at her request; my misunderstanding, sorry about that.

EDIT: the way I propose this works is that I send a PM to all participants with my email address. You each send me an email with your name and postal address. I collate these and then email the full list back to all participants.
Pick a theme, go out and shoot it, then get at least 12 postcards printed (or print them yourselves). Don't put your chosen film title on the postcard, it's up to the recipients to guess. But do remember to identify yourself with your TP username! Post out to the other participants. Bear in mind it's possible other folk will ask to be added at a later date; this might be possible up to a certain point (say when the first participant posts out their cards) but we'll take a view on extra participants later.

Last time I got my cards printed by Moo.com; I think I had to get more than 12 cards printed, but I haven't checked yet. There may well be other providers, I'm sure someone will comment. If you're printing your own, you'll need a pretty heavyweight paper (or light card) to survive the rigours of the postal system.

I suggest we allow shots taken since this thread opened. Shots must be made on film, but can be PP'd as you like.

Once you have received cards, try and guess the film, and comment on here, but don't reveal yet. We'll wait until all have been sent (or most, it's possible not everyone will complete).

At the "end", we'll create the thread for your images, plus film title, and @RaglanSurf has offered to make a mosaic as well.

Is that everything? If so I'll add these instructions into the first post. Right, off we go!

Last edited:
Im up for this Chris. The other challenges were both great fun and produced some great results.

It sounds good fun, but I doubt I'll have time to enter this if we only get a month to shoot the subjects, I can't even cope with the deadlines for the FPOTY contest!

As for subjects, how about 'classic' book titles? You know, the ones written by famous old (and dead) authors such as Defoe, Bronte, Dickens, Stevenson, etc. :)

Sounds like a good challenge for a wandering instax mini or other lomo doodad with postcard pack....

I'm in too but second Mr B's doubts about meeting a close deadline. I know last time we weren't exactly strict about it but it'd be good to have a cut-off date that gives us plenty of time.

Or if there is a film developer that will print the whole roll onto postcards and send them to a random Address rather than a senders address?

I reckon it won't be a month, it'll need to be much more flexible than that. OTOH, it shouldn't be spread out over too long or the idea of getting a collection of cards will be lost. I think last time there was around 6 months from starting to finish, whatever that means! So, I'll add all 3 on that basis... ;)

Count me in (y)

Excellent! Keep 'em coming...

Weekly bump. Any more takers?

I'm definitely leaning to the "Film title" theme, because I really liked the "Song title"angle. Although, typing this I'm wondering if the latter was successful because it wasn't visual, so needing some real interpretation, so maybe film titles are too visual? No, I think it could work...

Weekly bump. Any more takers?

I'm definitely leaning to the "Film title" theme, because I really liked the "Song title"angle. Although, typing this I'm wondering if the latter was successful because it wasn't visual, so needing some real interpretation, so maybe film titles are too visual? No, I think it could work...
Happy with film titles but if movies are too visual how about book titles? And just make it possible for others to guess the titles maybe we could take our choices from the nation's 100 favourite books

Happy with film titles but if movies are too visual how about book titles? And just make it possible for others to guess the titles maybe we could take our choices from the nation's 100 favourite books

As long as it doesn't have to be a book we've read... Otherwise I'm limited to Harry Potter and The Hobbit :D

Me too please! I've just signed up for a darkroom course so I may even be able to send out wet-printed postcards :eek:

Can I be added to the list too please?

I took part in the first two rounds so I feel obliged!

I'm in!

So do we take one photo and print it X times, or can we do a variety of photos?

Me too please! I've just signed up for a darkroom course so I may even be able to send out wet-printed postcards :eek:
Can I be added to the list too please?

I took part in the first two rounds so I feel obliged!

Both added.

That's a good idea, I like that. Special points for anyone who manages to illustrate Gormenghast as a book title on a postcard! Double points if they've actually read it through to the end...

Anyone unhappy with that suggestion? If so I shall put up a poll with the various options, but if no serious objections we can just go with it.

Added.
So do we take one photo and print it X times, or can we do a variety of photos?

I think the idea is to do one picture printed X times, but I suppose you could possibly do two pictures each printed X/2 times... though if you're not doing them yourself it could quickly become expensive as the economics favour repeats IIRC.

First round people shared pics of their wall of postcards (that thread is still stickied on the Photos from Film forum); second round @RaglanSurf made a mosaic of them but we didn't do a title reveal, which I want to do this time. Anyway I think it works better with one image per participant.

Last edited:
I'm happy with either books or fillums.

Added.

I think the idea is to do one picture printed X times, but I suppose you could possibly do two pictures each printed X/2 times... though if you're not doing them yourself it could quickly become expensive as the economics favour repeats IIRC.

First round people shared pics of their wall of postcards (that thread is still stickied on the Photos from Film forum); second round @RaglanSurf made a mosaic of them but we didn't do a title reveal, which I want to do this time. Anyway I think it works better with one image per participant.
^^^WHS^^^ 1 image per entrant works best. I can do another mosaic if people want one.

We should do the title reveal as well as @ChrisR says.

If it were fillums, perhaps we could use the list of best picture Oscar nominations, maybe since 2000? Eg from this wikipedia article...

Unless there's a rush of blood enthusiasm either way I'm going to have to put up a poll tomorrow... ;)

Special points for anyone who manages to illustrate Gormenghast as a book title on a postcard! Double points if they've actually read it through to the end...
I'll take a photo of the DVD case from the BBC production. I'd qualify for double points too; I persevered with the third book because of its reputation but as I read it nearly 20 years ago all I can say now is that it wasn't memorable for the right reasons.

Poll added...

I'm still happy to go with either, I have an idea for the film challenge that I'd really like to try but I'd be happy with the books. I've changed my choice twice already.

Tight at the top! Any more votes or mind changes before tomorrow?

So the votes are tied at close, and I have to make a decision... actually I was about to change my vote but just missed the closure...

Let's go with film titles, from the Oscar best film nomination list, since 2000!

EDIT: the list of best picture Oscar nominations since 2000, from this wikipedia article...

Last edited:
So, the way I propose this works is that I send a PM to all participants with my email address. You each send me an email with your name and postal address. I collate these and then email the full list back to all participants.

Pick a theme, go out and shoot it, then get at least 12 postcards printed (or print them yourselves). Don't put your chosen film title on the postcard, it's up to the recipients to guess. But do remember to identify yourself with your TP username! Post out to the other participants. Bear in mind it's possible other folk will ask to be added at a later date; this might be possible up to a certain point (say when the first participant posts out their cards) but we'll take a view on extra participants later.

Last time I got my cards printed by Moo.com; I think I had to get more than 12 cards printed, but I haven't checked yet. There may well be other providers, I'm sure someone will comment. If you're printing your own, you'll need a pretty heavyweight paper (or light card) to survive the rigours of the postal system.

I suggest we allow shots taken since this thread opened. Shots must be made on film, but can be PP'd as you like.

Once you have received cards, try and guess the film, and comment on here, but don't reveal yet. We'll wait until all have been sent (or most, it's possible not everyone will complete).

At the "end", we'll create the thread for your images, plus film title, and @RaglanSurf has offered to make a mosaic as well.

Is that everything? If so I'll add these instructions into the first post. Right, off we go!

Can i suggest going further back than 2000? With the song titles there was no limit, and i think as there is a list for us to 'guess' from, a few more wouldn't hurt.

Not a problem if not

Hi,

I've been away for a while and just returned. Nice to be back. Am I too late to add my name to the list?

Thanks
Steve

Back