Film Photo Challenge 28 "Do Not Crop" Discussion Thread

Take a photo of you holding the neg and upload that too ;)

Looks to be a lack of "rebates" ...... Robs idea of uploading a photo of the neg is easy enough isn't it :shrug:

Anyhow, my effort is posted (y)

Looks to be a lack of "rebates" ...... Robs idea of uploading a photo of the neg is easy enough isn't it :shrug:

Anyhow, my effort is posted (y)

...but Asda wouldn't do it for me :(

...but Asda wouldn't do it for me :(

I understand that asda etc will scan without rebates onto disc, however you presumably have the physical negatives to hand so could you not shoot a (dare i say :eek: :D digi) image from the neg strip showing the sprocket holes/rebate.:shrug:

I'm sure that is what Rob meant with his posting.

I understand that asda etc will scan without rebates onto disc, however you presumably have the physical negatives to hand so could you not shoot a (dare i say :eek: :D digi) image from the neg strip showing the sprocket holes/rebate.:shrug:

I'm sure that is what Rob meant with his posting.

Of course that is true but just makes the competition less attractive\more complicated, to anybody who wants to enter. And to add:- If my memory serves me correctly on doing home scanning, I have a suspicion that supermarkets don't give you the full coverage of the neg anyway (well what I saw in the viewfinder isn't always the same when I see the JPG)..my first guess is the scan is set up for print sizes.......but maybe it would be better if only the winner proves the shot wasn't cropped by what you suggested, :shrug:

maybe it would be better if only the winner proves the shot wasn't cropped

Yes that would be a good idea imo if folk don't /can't post the rebates with their entry

Yes that would be a good idea imo if folk don't /can't post the rebates with their entry

..even then that might still scare off newbies who were thinking of entering :shrug:

..even then that might still scare off newbies who were thinking of entering :shrug:
Why would it scare a newbie off?.
It would be no different if a digital user was asked to send in an original RAW file of an image...... so, I don't see the difference here.
And...as a 'newbie', I would enter.....if I had something worth entering :LOL:

Why would it scare a newbie off?.
It would be no different if a digital user was asked to send in an original RAW file of an image...... so, I don't see the difference here.
And...as a 'newbie', I would enter.....if I had something worth entering :LOL:

Well putting my newbie hat on:- What's a rebate (h'mm got that from the bank last week), oh well, the guys here say get Poundland film and take it to Asda...wow I'm so pleased that I got a great shot and I'll enter that in the competition and wow it wins. But someone might say "congrats could you shows us the scanned shot with the rebate"...h'mm what's a rebate and finds out,...but I haven't a scanner...OK take a close up digital shot of the neg...oh blow all that I'll resign as winner. :|
Ok a nice story but it would be nice to know why don't more people enter the competitions...maybe some newbies reading could give their views :shrug:

Well putting my newbie hat on:- What's a rebate (h'mm got that from the bank last week), oh well, the guys here say get Poundland film and take it to Asda...wow I'm so pleased that I got a great shot and I'll enter that in the competition and wow it wins. But someone might say "congrats could you shows us the scanned shot with the rebate"...h'mm what's a rebate and finds out,...but I haven't a scanner...OK take a close up digital shot of the neg...oh blow all that I'll resign as winner. :|
Ok a nice story but it would be nice to know why don't more people enter the competitions...maybe some newbies reading could give their views :shrug:

Yes ok...but newbie's aren't daft....if they didn't know what a rebate was, and they were entering a film image(somewhere), surely they'd ask this stuff first?.
Besides, the option had been given to taken a photo of the negative...a mobile phone would suffice there.
It isn't much to think about.....
And, as for entering the competitions...do you mean this particular one?.... well, are there that many newbies here in the film section to be able to answer that?.
I gave my view....I haven't an image worth posting.

The theme is; no cropping!

add a little rebate to your entries to show that the image is what you saw please.

My appologies if my suggestion to follow the guidelines outlined by Mark has caused upset......:eek:ops:

Yes ok...but newbie's aren't daft....if they didn't know what a rebate was, and they were entering a film image(somewhere), surely they'd ask this stuff first?.
Besides, the option had been given to taken a photo of the negative...a mobile phone would suffice there.
It isn't much to think about.....
And, as for entering the competitions...do you mean this particular one?.... well, are there that many newbies here in the film section to be able to answer that?.
I gave my view....I haven't an image worth posting.

Well I would guess if something is a complicated subject or certain rules then newbies wont bother....anyway how do you know you haven't an image worth posting as others see things different to what you do....you have to be init to winit ;)

Well I would guess if something is a complicated subject or certain rules then newbies wont bother....anyway how do you know you haven't an image worth posting as others see things different to what you do....you have to be init to winit ;)
Oh, trust me...I know!...
I have 2 rolls of 120 to come back..... I'm hoping that there is something worth posting (y)
But....to be honest, I do photography for me....and I rarely post many of them.... just never get round to it.

My appologies if my suggestion to follow the guidelines outlined by Mark has caused upset......:eek:ops:

Well I'd be surprised if anyone is upset as it's all about enjoying yourself and competitions can be fun.

I'm hoping that there is something worth posting (y)
I rarely post many of them.... just never get round to it.

Get round to it...Post something!!....BUT DON'T FORGET YOUR REBATE ( Tax or otherwise) :D

Well I'd be surprised if anyone is upset as it's all about enjoying yourself and competitions can be fun.

I was becoming "upset" trying to upload my entry .....took 3 attempts at resizing the file to one that would be accepted on here. Admittedly it was kinda large when it came off the scanner!:p

Get round to it...Post something!!....BUT DON'T FORGET YOUR REBATE ( Tax or otherwise) :D

I was becoming "upset" trying to upload my entry .....took 3 attempts at resizing the file to one that would be accepted on here. Admittedly it was kinda large when it came off the scanner!:p

Well I haven't worked out the upload feature as so far it wont take the longest side of 800px.....let us know what size it will except (y)

Well I haven't worked out the upload feature as so far it wont take the longest side of 800px.....let us know what size it will except (y)

tbh Brian, when it comes to resizing files, I become easily confused and like most folk on here, I'm trying to get to grips with the "new" TP but I'm a slow learner :(

I think I ended uploading my entry through ImageShack.

tbh Brian, when it comes to resizing files, I become easily confused and like most folk on here, I'm trying to get to grips with the "new" TP but I'm a slow learner :(

I think I ended uploading my entry through ImageShack.

Well if you can get an old copy of Photoshop it's easy to resize and probably free programs that would do it also...but then if you go deeper it can get confusing as there are different methods or reducing :eek: I haven't got round to finding the best method (if there is one) yet :confused:.
I'm using Photobucket (the free bit) and can't upload too many shots as it's limited each month, so a decent upload here straight from your hardrive would be great h'mm but looks like it's not available here. On another forum I visit, you can upload 1600px longest side photo also straight from your hardrive, and I just upload an Asda (or cheap lab) scan at 1840px and the software auto downsizes it to 1600px (y)

Right, as requested, I've had the hoover out and cleared up all the non-entry posts in the entries thread. Try and keep any other nattering in here can we chaps (y)

OK but still nice to read newbies views....anyone?

Well i think initially i came in to this thread on the wrong page and got confused but going back and starting again no newbies shouldn't get confused entering, it's straight forward and i now know what a rebate is:banana:

As for why a newbie wouldn't enter.... simple it's fear! posting images if you are new or unsure is scary, i know i will be petrified when i start using my film camera.... but as for the actual comp, it makes sense and stuff:D

Last edited:
Well i think initially i came in to this thread on the wrong page and got confused but going back and starting again no newbies shouldn't get confused entering, it's straight forward and i now know what a rebate is:banana:

As for why a newbie wouldn't enter.... simple it's fear! posting images if you are new or unsure is scary, i know i will be petrified when i start using my film camera.... but as for the actual comp, it makes sense and stuff:D

Well I know how you feel as when I was in the camera club thought when entering a competition for the first time "I'll never win".......and I was right :LOL: But not winning anything hasn't put me off....so if you have a good composition shot just enter (y) but alas no brownies points or Jammie Dodgers if you win.:(

Well I know how you feel as when I was in the camera club thought when entering a competition for the first time "I'll never win".......and I was right :LOL: But not winning anything hasn't put me off....so if you have a good composition shot just enter (y) but alas no brownies points or Jammie Dodgers if you win.:(

haha well i would have no preconceived ideas of winning, but more to the point it's the "omg what have you done to that" thought :LOL::LOL:........

brownie points??.... i would want a proper chocolate brownie i'll have you know!:p

Anyway i can't enter this one..:D

In F&C we tend to have Challenges rather than Competitions; yes there is a winner, but it could be anyone! Give it a go ;) (I know, I haven't entered yet...)

Do photos need to be taken at some point during the competition window, or can they be from a while ago?

I just had a look at the entries,there are some great shots and I cannot wait to vote,I wish I could enter,but,under the terms and conditions it is out of my reach.

Also love to see what peeps have done with the subject matter.

Congrats to the organisers.

Do photos need to be taken at some point during the competition window, or can they be from a while ago?

Yes it has to be taken for the challenge, the idea is to encourage folk to get out and use their cameras rather than trawl their archives for a shot that fits. Although of corse there is no way of knowing but that would be like cheating at Patience, pointless :LOL:

I just had a look at the entries,there are some great shots and I cannot wait to vote,I wish I could enter,but,under the terms and conditions it is out of my reach.

Also love to see what peeps have done with the subject matter.

Congrats to the organisers.

Haven't you shot anything for the last few weeks you could enter Richard?

Yes it has to be taken for the challenge, the idea is to encourage folk to get out and use their cameras rather than trawl their archives for a shot that fits. Although of corse there is no way of knowing but that would be like cheating at Patience, pointless :LOL:

Haven't you shot anything for the last few weeks you could enter Richard?

I have Nick,but,nothing that is yet developed,I am always behind the times. :)

Well no-one seemed very sure about this challenge at first, but it's brought a cracking crop of entries!

Back