Film Photographer of the Year 2017 - Discussion

Funnily enough we (Nick, Janet and I) were discussing this yesterday. I suggested that we all make some suggestions (3, 4, 5 ?) of themes and the organiser collates these, pops them in a hat snd draws 12 out. I also think it would be a good idea to get this sorted before the end of the month if possible to give folks a chance to find January's shot.
We also thought that the points system could do with a revamp, I know this has been discussed higher up this thread but we thought it should be kept simple and just award points further down the list to keep people interested.
Just a few thoughts, discuss. :)

If you all promise to vote for me I'll try and enter next year.

I agree about getting the ideas in soon though.

Last edited:
Not massively happy with my entry but I don't think I'll be able to fire off the last few shots on my current roll and get it developed before the deadline, sadly! Ah well.

Last day for entries, please post in the entry thread before midnight tonight. 14 entries so far, so if a couple more sneak in today then we'll be in for a decent month :)

The poll for November is up, and I'll be putting December's thread up in a minute. It'll probably be this afternoon before I can get the 2018 rules and themes thread up as I've gotta finish writing all the new rules down etc.

#ThisIsMoreWorkThanYou'dThink

The theme for Novemberis REFLECTIONS, which can be interpreted any way that you see fit. Entries to be posted in this thread by 23:59 on Sunday 31st December 2017. A poll will go up for seven days afterwards to find the winners.

This thread is for entries only, please keep everything else in the discussion thread here.

Reminder for newcomers to FPOTY: Entries must be taken ON FILM and must have been taken on or after December 26th 2016.

@Carl Hall, You've got the month wrong on the December entries thread.

@srichards Well that's one reflection shot dropped from my list of possibles. :D

Everyone note, Filmdev will be closed from 24th December to 2nd January, according to a tweet:

"Customer Notice – We are closed over the Christmas Holidays Please note we will be closed from lunchtime 24th December 2017 until Tuesday 2nd January 2018. Any orders received during this period will be processed from the 2nd of January 2018."

It does imply (but not say) they will be working Saturday and Sunday morning...

Thanks for the heads up Chris, that means those of us (i.e. me) that haven't taken a photo yet will have to get on it pretty sharpish!

Thanks for the heads up Chris, that means those of us (i.e. me) that haven't taken a photo yet will have to get on it pretty sharpish!

Or do it in B&W and/or dev your own!

(My only chance of an entry was home devved but is still waiting to be scanned.)

I think I've narrowed my Reflections shots down to 2 possibilities.....and I'm finding it nigh on impossible to choose between them. I may have to resort to picking one out of a top hat!!

I think I've narrowed my Reflections shots down to 2 possibilities.....and I'm finding it nigh on impossible to choose between them. I may have to resort to picking one out of a top hat!!

Flip a coin and go with your gut reaction. Saves having to spend all day looking for a top hat ;)

think, meditate, reflect on them (sorry)

That's exactly what I've done!
You know the one you're not using.... :whistle: I know, it would be against the rules, even to help a badger in need at Christmas. :D I'll find something to enter but once again time has got the better of me, so it's not going to be the one I'd planned!

Last edited:
You know the one you're not using.... :whistle: I know, it would be against the rules, even to help a badger in need at Christmas. :D I'll find something to enter but once again time has got the better of me, so it's not going to be the one I'd planned!

You can have it......but if you get any points you have to donate them to me!! :D;)

You could use one of my rejects, but as they are selfies that might be a bit of a giveaway :police:

I've scanned mine and there are definite candidates... but on one of them, I'm trying to work out how to clone off a massive... reflection! ;)

Only a few days until we reach the end of FPOTY, so if you have a photo to enter, be sure to do it before the deadline on the 31st at 23.59.

FYI, I'm starting a new job next week (same company, different role) so I'm not sure if I'll be able to do the FPOTY updates and results etc as early in the morning as I do now. Shouldn't be an issue, but might be a few hours later if I need to wait until lunch time.

I think we can cope! Thanks for all your good work this year, Carl, and for being willing to do it again next year.

I think we can cope! Thanks for all your good work this year, Carl, and for being willing to do it again next year.

We are not like the 52's over in main challenges who chide Cobra if he is a minute late with the weekly theme (and sometimes start asking for early ones) not something I'd ever do :whistle: 'cos :film:

Last day for entries, so if you haven't entered yet please post your photo in the entry thread by 23.59 tonight!

Since we'll all be up, we'll be expecting the voting thread straight after the bells ;)

(only kidding, do wait for the hangover to die down!) :D:D:D

Back