Film Photographer of the Year 2017 - Discussion

You know, I might actually try and enter this year :) Been a while since I entered any of the forum competitions :(

Anyway, quick question. Regarding this first month, is it acceptable to enter a photo that was taken last year but not yet developed?
Not a problem for me (y)

Definitely not one taken on 2015 and not yet developed ;) !

I'll leave the actual answer to @Carl Hall to rule on, it's his competition. I do have two films in camera, so when they get processed it's going to be hard to remember quite where the new year happened...

You know, I might actually try and enter this year :) Been a while since I entered any of the forum competitions :(

Anyway, quick question. Regarding this first month, is it acceptable to enter a photo that was taken last year but not yet developed?

I think as the first month is tight for time and it's an open theme, we can allow it a bit more flexibility for this month :)

I've got the last 12 months worth of slide to send off to peak today! 10 frames!

TEN FRAMES!!!

I feel faint. Roberts, fetch me my folding fan.

One is from Cornwall over Christmas, about 4 or so are from Dartmoor about 3 months ago, possibly one from the Peaks meet and the rest I've forgotten about :D
Typical of your machine gun approach to photography.

Typical of your machine gun approach to photography.

Just imagine if photographers did make machine guns....

Why didn't the machine gun fire more than 10 bullets?

It didn't like the light
There were too many people looking
There was one ratty flower on the battle field that upset it.
It had shot 4 the day before and thought that was quite enough to be getting on with :)

If nobody has any objections, I think it might be a good idea to remove the rule saying that photos cant be changed once entered? I think allowing photos to be changed up until the deadline would work better.

I can see that this rule would be useful for compeitions where entries are emailed in, but I can see no benefit for FPOTY where users simply post photos in a thread. I think the majority of people leave their entries to the last minute so that they can enter the best photo of the month. Allowing entries to be changed means that people can post their photos earlier in the month, safe in the knowledge that they can change it if they take a better one later.

This also means that I wont have a breakdown when it gets to the 25th of the month and no ones entered yet :LOL: :D

FWIW I've changed shots a couple of times in the old "monthly" challenge, and I think ended up with very few votes. However, given that also happened often when I didn't change entries, it's no guidance, really!

At the moment Suz and Neige are on their way to an easy 8 points, hopefully some more entries might trickle in this week ;)

I think it's going to be a bit tight for me, I won't be able to take the photo I have planned until Sunday, which only gives me two days to develop and scan!

I think I may have something, not quite what I was after but hey ho such is the nature of the beast.

I've just souped a 4x5 neg that i shot last week which at a push may get entered.

I have a section of roll films sat in fixer atm which were exposed last year.
It is possible there will a better image on those than this LF shot, but as we are shooting the FPOTY 2017, I was under the impression that the entries were to be shot this year!

Tbh, that is the primary reason why I considered entering in the first place to "force me" to put some effort into obtaining a decent result each month .....

I don't wish to sound disrespectful to woodsy, nor anyone else for requesting / moving the goalposts of the rules ( this is f&c afterall where we're easy going); nonetheless I feel a need to express my view regarding this.

I'm debating as to post an entry or to back out altogether.....We'll see, there's a week or so left yet.

Rant over! :p:D

Well Asha the relaxation of rules is only for January...unless it snows it's a horrible time to go out and take some interesting shots, and even more so for guys who only have weekends free. For me I can shoot 7 days a week but it's too bloody cold to cycle anywhere :eek:

Last edited:
Well Asha the relaxation of rules is only for January...unless it snows it's a horrible time to go out and take some interesting shots, and even more so for guys who only have weekends free. For me I can shoot 7 days a week but it's too bloody cold to cycle anywhere :eek:

Perhaps the challenge needs to run May to October so folk can get a shot in dry and possibly sunny weather!

Fair enough, I live in an area that offers a more favourable climate for getting out and about in the depths of winter, nonetheless photography can be done indoors if necessary ....The whole idea of a competition / challenge is just that ....a challenge!

Unless i'm missing something:thinking:

I'm hoping to get some results back from FilmDev tomorrow which may have something if the Fed managed to capture something on its' last roll before I sold it!

Actually, FilmDev have beaten my expectation and delivered my results today. Not bad considering I only sent them on Friday afternoon!

As expected there are a selection of light leaks (I had to open the bottom of the camera near the end of the roll to free the film slightly) but might have something to enter. I walked around the entries and alleyways of Port Sunlight one lunchtime to get some gritty urban shots for a change. Fingers crossed!

Perhaps the challenge needs to run May to October so folk can get a shot in dry and possibly sunny weather!

Fair enough, I live in an area that offers a more favourable climate for getting out and about in the depths of winter, nonetheless photography can be done indoors if necessary ....The whole idea of a competition / challenge is just that ....a challenge!

Unless i'm missing something:thinking:

h'mm maybe human nature :D For sure in Jan and Feb there is no excuse for guys who are good at indoor shots for still life or who have kids...but would think what's left for others (with no snow) is the common shot of a frosty leaf in the back garden or travel somewhere interesting for a foggy, frosty, shot and also grave yards look great in B\W. (y)
Anyway I'm entering a shot just taken after new year's eve and although it might be crap, at least I've entered something as it looks like I won't get my Peak shots done in time.

OK so even though I initially posted my LF shot in show us yer film shots, I've since decided to put it up as my entry for January in the FOTYP:)

Having scanned the other negs, MF and 35mm, there are a few contenders that would probably offer more chance of votes, however if I intend to complete this challenge, it is going to be 12 entries on LF or nothing at all as I find it all too easy to pick up a smaller format and be "snap happy" rather than put some dedicated time, effort and concentration into using the larger format ...... I hope to use this challenge / competition to prove to myself that I am more than capable of obtaining "decent" results on LF and that the effort put into obtaining those results are worth it.

Assuming that I can obtain an entry for each of the 12 months then I will have "won" the challenge in my own eyes, even if I come last overall;)

So for clarity, I can enter some of the film pics I've taken this year but already posted?

I have more to soup but have injured my thumb playing football!!

Sorry guys, No entry from me this month,Still have five films in camera for developing.hopefully February for me.

I've just souped a 4x5 neg that i shot last week which at a push may get entered.

I have a section of roll films sat in fixer atm which were exposed last year.
It is possible there will a better image on those than this LF shot, but as we are shooting the FPOTY 2017, I was under the impression that the entries were to be shot this year!

Tbh, that is the primary reason why I considered entering in the first place to "force me" to put some effort into obtaining a decent result each month .....

I don't wish to sound disrespectful to woodsy, nor anyone else for requesting / moving the goalposts of the rules ( this is f&c afterall where we're easy going); nonetheless I feel a need to express my view regarding this.

I'm debating as to post an entry or to back out altogether.....We'll see, there's a week or so left yet.

Rant over! :p:D

I understand what you mean Asha. For me personally FPOTY is a way to push myself out of my comfort zone and try new subjects and techniques that I don't normally think about, as well as push me to get out and actually take some photos before a deadline.

One of the main problems that film challenges (apart from the NOFC) always has, is that the deadlines are too tight for some people. In order to combat this we've got the rule which tells you all the themes in advance and gives you several months to get a photo. The only problem is that this doesn't help with the first month, which is why January is a bit more relaxed with an open theme and a bit more leeway over the date the photo was taken.

The hard thing with F&C challenges is trying to get a good balance between having a challenge with rules and deadlines, and having enough flexibility that people enter. I think FPOTY strikes a good balance but if at the end of the year we decide it was too far one way or the other, then we can make some changes for the next year.

OK so even though I initially posted my LF shot in show us yer film shots, I've since decided to put it up as my entry for January in the FOTYP:)

Having scanned the other negs, MF and 35mm, there are a few contenders that would probably offer more chance of votes, however if I intend to complete this challenge, it is going to be 12 entries on LF or nothing at all as I find it all too easy to pick up a smaller format and be "snap happy" rather than put some dedicated time, effort and concentration into using the larger format ...... I hope to use this challenge / competition to prove to myself that I am more than capable of obtaining "decent" results on LF and that the effort put into obtaining those results are worth it.

Assuming that I can obtain an entry for each of the 12 months then I will have "won" the challenge in my own eyes, even if I come last overall;)

This is exactly what FPOTY is about in my view, good stuff Asha :)

however if I intend to complete this challenge, it is going to be 12 entries on LF or nothing at all as I find it all too easy to pick up a smaller format and be "snap happy" rather than put some dedicated time, effort and concentration into using the larger format ...... I hope to use this challenge / competition to prove to myself that I am more than capable of obtaining "decent" results on LF and that the effort put into obtaining those results are worth it.

It's the opposite for me. I've only got a cheap 35mm camera (which I don't really know how to use properly) and cheapish film, so I'll be trying to get decent pictures using them. I'll have won the challenge in my eyes if I can beat @Andysnap!! ;):D

I do have a couple of contenders for the January competition from some scans I got back yesterday. Just need to decide which one to go with.

Four films back from Filmdev yesterday, nothing looks remotely interesting :( except a moody castle shot... that's rather too obviously taken last year (not much greenery around in the leaf department at the mo!). I'm leaving it to sit in my mind for a while, may also send them the single roll I finished yesterday...

Wanged around Biddulph Grange Garden this lunchtime with the P & S monster so I'm hoping I've got something for upcoming months as well. Ever the optimist :)

8 hours and 17 minutes until entry closes. I plan to post my entry this evening, which will make 14 for the month. Really pleased with the turn out so far, it's much better than I had anticipated :) Can we get to a nice round 15 before the month is up?

I'm disappointed with the turn out to be honest, I was hoping to be one of only 5 entries as it is probably the only way for me to get any points :D

I'm disappointed with the turn out to be honest, I was hoping to be one of only 5 entries as it is probably the only way for me to get any points :D

Hah, the modest self-deprecating quote before he puts in another stunner. I dunno. :( :D:D

Hah, the modest self-deprecating quote before he puts in another stunner. I dunno. :( :D:D
Yeah exactly, what chance do we have when there's two POTY winners to contend against .......There needs to be a handicap system of some sort, something like those shooting LF have to do so blindfolded:D
Won't be a dissability for me as I can barely see what I'm doing anyway having broke my glasses:facepalm: ( don't ask!:mad::()

8 hours and 17 minutes until entry closes. I plan to post my entry this evening, which will make 14 for the month. Really pleased with the turn out so far, it's much better than I had anticipated :) Can we get to a nice round 15 before the month is up?
I thought we were allowing longer for January entries?

Back