Film Photographer of the Year 2017 - Discussion

:banghead::banghead: Post number 9 young man;):D
That's me out then. Just spent the weekend in Barcelona shooting the guts out of a Nikon FG with a bagful of Portra, sent off to Filmdev this afternoon nomne of which will see the FPOTY.

That's me out then. Just spent the weekend in Barcelona shooting the guts out of a Nikon FG with a bagful of Portra, sent off to Filmdev this afternoon nomne of which will see the FPOTY.

:crying: Oh s**t! :sulk:

Exactly. My own stupid fault though, I had it in my head that January was always going to allow an extra week, I have no idea where I read it, I may never have read it and just made it up. :bang:

Well i dont mind if we give it an extra day or two.

I think because Nick made an honest mistake and has already taken the photos we can extend the deadline a couple of days, providing that everyone else is happy with this?

I do feel that we need to make this the last bending of the rules though, and in future months we should stick firmly to them. If we become too slack then I think it removes a lot of the challenge. For me the best part of FPOTY is pushing myself to think outside of the box for each theme and get a photo I'm happy with within a set time frame.

If no one has an issue then shall we extend the deadline for this month only, until 23.59 on Friday the 3rd? :)

I don't mind for at all but we definitely don't want the March theme finishing in July :D

Well i dont mind if we give it an extra day or two.

Yeah, I don't mind either. The more the merrier with these things. I'd prefer we accept a few (slightly) late entries this month rather than have people feel they've missed their chance and not bother for the rest of the comp.

I think because Nick made an honest mistake and has already taken the photos we can extend the deadline a couple of days, providing that everyone else is happy with this?

I do feel that we need to make this the last bending of the rules though, and in future months we should stick firmly to them. If we become too slack then I think it removes a lot of the challenge. For me the best part of FPOTY is pushing myself to think outside of the box for each theme and get a photo I'm happy with within a set time frame.

If no one has an issue then shall we extend the deadline for this month only, until 23.59 on Friday the 3rd? :)

I don't mind for at all but we definitely don't want the March theme finishing in July :D

Thanks folks. As long as everyone is happy I'll get something up as soon as Filmdev drop the preliminary scans in the dropbox I'll get something posted (assuming there's something worth posting :D )

I thought we were allowing longer for January entries?

I've given up due to the grim, dull, drizzly, depressing, flat lighting conditions that have coincided with any available time I've had to take a photo to enter in this contest since the 27th of December 2016 FPOTY picture-taking start date was declared. :grumpy:

Last edited:
I've given up due to the grim, dull, drizzly, depressing, flat lighting conditions that have coincided with any available time I've had to take a photo to enter in this contest since the 27th of December 2016 FPOTY picture-taking start date was declared. :grumpy:

Maybe next year we could amalgamate Jan and Feb and the subject would be winter?

Thanks folks. As long as everyone is happy I'll get something up as soon as Filmdev drop the preliminary scans in the dropbox I'll get something posted (assuming there's something worth posting :D )

No worries from me, Nick (and Carl). But note, the scans from Filmdev you get via WeTransfer are now the final scans, not heavily compressed as they once were (when they were indeed preliminary scans). Unless you've made a special arrangement you won't be getting a CD when your negs come back. So you can use the downloaded scans without compromising on quality.

Oi you! I've got a 120 pinhole, 35mm Yashica 44 and an InsTLR that are finished. If I can get this linkage sorted I'll have an ultrawide 35mm Nimslo too soon ;0)

And a see through 4x5 soon too hopefully! :D

I can't say anything really, the only project I started was that heated developing tank, but I gave up on that once I realised how pants the heater was haha.

And a see through 4x5 soon too hopefully! :D

I can't say anything really, the only project I started was that heated developing tank, but I gave up on that once I realised how pants the heater was haha.

Do people use aquarium heaters??

You can, but you have to hack it to heat up enough. Every aquarium heater I looked at only went up to 32 degrees or so.

That's what I noticed too. I'll stick to a tub and hot water - specific heat capacity of water means that it should hold fairly well!

A house tank immersion heater that would be powerful, not sure how it works for a thermostat (to control temp) as mine packed up about 20 years ago and don't use it for emergencies.

I've been dabbling a little bit with Raspberry Pi's over the last few weeks, so I might try and think of a way to use a Pi Zero to control a small immersion heater, switching on and off periodically with feedback from a series of temperature sensors. Would be much more consistent and heat up much quicker than an aquarium heater!

I've been dabbling a little bit with Raspberry Pi's over the last few weeks, so I might try and think of a way to use a Pi Zero to control a small immersion heater, switching on and off periodically with feedback from a series of temperature sensors. Would be much more consistent and heat up much quicker than an aquarium heater!

An arduino would probably be better for that

I don't know Linux coding for the Pi but for an Arduino I'd guess you'd just connect up a temp sensor to one of its' analogue inputs then make the Arduino put a HIGH digital output to a relay when it drops to a certain temp to switch on the heater. In the same way, when the temp reaches a high limit, the digital output would switch to LOW to turn it off again. I reckon someone must have already written that code somewhere :0)

Thanks for the extension everybody, my January entry now posted (y)

An arduino would probably be better for that

Maybe, but I don't know anything about those :LOL: I actually know naff all about RPi's either, but by brains not clever enough to learn two things at once :D

I don't know Linux coding for the Pi but for an Arduino I'd guess you'd just connect up a temp sensor to one of its' analogue inputs then make the Arduino put a HIGH digital output to a relay when it drops to a certain temp to switch on the heater. In the same way, when the temp reaches a high limit, the digital output would switch to LOW to turn it off again. I reckon someone must have already written that code somewhere :0)

Ok, so I ended up watching a lot on Youtube and reading a lot on the internet about Arduinos last night, and came to the conclusion that they are actually waaaay more suitable for me than the RPi... Soooooo I have an Uno arriving today :D

Thanks for the extension everybody, my January entry now posted (y)

Good stuff :) We extended it until tonight at midnight, so I'll leave it open until then in case anyone has read that and was planning on entering something today. Depending on what time I get home tonight I'll either put a poll up tonight or tomorrow morning :)

Ok, so I ended up watching a lot on Youtube and reading a lot on the internet about Arduinos last night, and came to the conclusion that they are actually waaaay more suitable for me than the RPi... Soooooo I have an Uno arriving today :D

Good stuff mate. You'll be building in steppers and servos next to save you having to invert any bottles yourself ;0)

I'm not an expert on Arduino but if there's anything I can help with, give me a shout.

Good stuff mate. You'll be building in steppers and servos next to save you having to invert any bottles yourself ;0)

I'm not an expert on Arduino but if there's anything I can help with, give me a shout.

Cheers bud :) I spent some time playing with it this afternoon, it's quite a lot simpler than a Raspberry Pi for sure. Definitely better suited for what I want to do!

Back