FILM Photographer of the Year 2018 - Discussion

Yep,
really struggling this month :-(
Might just say May was a one off entry! Time is also a big problem this month - just haven't got any free days to get out with the Camera :-(

Can't you try throwing some bread to the helicopter and try to lure it in for a shot? :D

Tried that with the gulls in Morecambe yesterday, they ignored me. As there was only me on the promenade perhaps they don't associate people with food.

C41 chemicals warming up in the Jobo. Fingers crossed that one of the shots from yesterday will be, in focus, not motion blurred and actually airborne.

Airborne doesn't seem too much of a problem... airborne AND an interesting shot (and taken since last December) has so far proved impossible :( . Hopeful there's something in the 3 films sent off yesterday, but nothing jumps to mind from taking them. May have to throw a crowbar!

I'm struggling with this one too, such a lack of interesting, slow moving subjects. It looks like Mr Badger and the Snaps have it in the bag anyway... :crying:

Airborne doesn't seem too much of a problem... airborne AND an interesting shot (and taken since last December) has so far proved impossible :( . Hopeful there's something in the 3 films sent off yesterday, but nothing jumps to mind from taking them. May have to throw a crowbar!
I know what you mean, I was really cheesed off after the farce that ensued trying to get a suitable photo at the Derwent dam (see the 'shots that didn't make the cut' thread for details). I have what I think is a trapped nerve in my leg at the moment, which made the 8 mile return hike up there rather painful (despite taking painkillers) and it certainly didn't help my leg. So don't feel too bad if you've not got a wonderful shot, at least you're not limping round the place as a result, well hopefully not anyway!

I'm struggling with this one too, such a lack of interesting, slow moving subjects. It looks like Mr Badger and the Snaps have it in the bag anyway... :crying:

If only! I've been there before, just wait till the 11th hour when all those FRPS quality entries come pouring in! Mind you, I do have my swarm of drones armed and ready for the voting this time! :D ;)

Last edited:
I had a few ideas for Airborne, but have singularly failed to get any of them to work. I went out this afternoon to finish off the last 7 shots on a film and get 4 films posted off to Filmdev to see if any were good enough for this month's entry. I put the Nikon in the car and went for a walk with just my Fuji X10 pocket digicam, when all of a sudden I was faced with the scene below (excuse the digi post!). It was too late by the time I got back to the car for the F80. Ah well. :banghead:

DSCF1142.jpg

Well, at least it's different! :)

After quite a lot of agonising I've put my airborne shot up, still not sure but found it a tough theme, anyway on to next month :)

I'm planning to shoot/develop & scan on Friday/saturday this week - will be lucky to meet the deadline and might end up here instead!

I had a few ideas for Airborne, but have singularly failed to get any of them to work. I went out this afternoon to finish off the last 7 shots on a film and get 4 films posted off to Filmdev to see if any were good enough for this month's entry. I put the Nikon in the car and went for a walk with just my Fuji X10 pocket digicam, when all of a sudden I was faced with the scene below (excuse the digi post!). It was too late by the time I got back to the car for the F80. Ah well. :banghead:

View attachment 129082

This is worrying! If that isn't good enough Peter I hate to see what you have 'up your sleeve'!

This is worrying! If that isn't good enough Peter I hate to see what you have 'up your sleeve'!
Ah no Fraser, that's a digital shot taken after I had finished my film, so it doesn't qualify. It was the irony of coming across this without a film camera after my planned shots had failed.

The poll for June is up and will run for seven days. July's thread is also up for entries now (y)

@TheBigYin could you sticky June and July's thread and unsticky April and May's please?

July is speed? ...SPEED! ... where on earth did that come from, I was convinced July was Natural Light Portrait for some reason :runaway:

July is speed? ...SPEED! ... where on earth did that come from, I was convinced July was Natural Light Portrait for some reason :runaway:
Yup, will need to be quick to get something in this month :whistle:

@TheBigYin could you sticky June and July's thread and unsticky April and May's please?

Done and Done

eventually - so much for "speed" - in my defence, I was back in the Cardiac Ward at Pinderfields having lots of electrodes stuck to me and giving lots of blood for tests for the past 36 hours or so...

Surprisingly, YES they did find a heart (not a swinging brick) and happily, it's in surprisingly good condition - heatstroke induced angina attack, which has done nothing material in damage, but HAS left me completely wiped out... approx 30 minutes of sleep in 48 hours will do that to an old git like me - not to mention the wearing down effect of lying in a hospital bed wired to the machine that goes "ping" waiting for it to go "beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeppppppppppppppppppp..." instead.

Cause of heatstroke BTW... Sitting in the car driving home on Sunday Afternoon - less than 15 minutes of it, but enough to muck with my bodys thermostat big time. Note to self, get the bloody Aircon fixed in the car Mark, even if it does cost more than the car's worth....

Last edited:
Of course my like is that you are ok not that you were ill :).

What’s happened to May’s results? I can’t seem to find them.

They're not sticky now, so they've slipped half way down the second page :)
A thought. Would it be an idea just to have one sticky thread for FPOTY each year called the Index thread. To that you could add links to the rules thread, themes list, discussion thread, each months entry thread as it comes up and the post within that for results. Then anyone coming fresh to the challenge could track things down easily.

Getting back to the "Speed" topic, I have a variety of "Airborne" shots where the camera/lens combo wasn't fast enough to capture the subject, but I'm guessing there are no winners amongst them. :( Here's a classic of the genre when the Easyjet against the sunset actually arrived 41 minutes late when it was dark.
000047560021-copy-tp.jpg

Things are hotting up in the entries thread, some really good interpretations IHMO :clap:

Time to get one last film into the tank. Nothing like the sound of a deadline screaming towards you.

Back