FILM Photographer of the Year 2018 - Discussion

Oh 'eck, that would definitely put a crimp in your photographic style.

The image referenced in my entry was this one, which I think is a later version of the one originally titled "The Treachery of Images", showing the famous pipe. I'd have had a go at that, but couldn't get hold of a pipe in time!

Well at least there's no lack of subjects for this month! I'm more worried about June (Airbourne), September (Natural Light Portrait) and November (Waste, for goodness sake!)...

My plan for November is to take lots of photos of things that I can shoehorn into the theme, and then when I'm not happy with any of them I can take a photo of the pile of wasted film :D

Sound idea!

Pity @simon ess isn't entering this year (so far); he's the only one I know who can make photos of bins look seriously good. Maybe I should book him for some lessons!

I suppose @Mrs Snap and @Andysnap showed us how they can take a very difficult theme and turn it into excellent photos by the use of real imagination (and copious rolls of film, according to Andy). But so far, I'm really struggling...

This primarily the reason for the rubbish shots

Time to change the light seal I think.
by Nick Watson, on Flickr

Must be catching!! I developed a roll this morning as I had actually photographed something that fitted this months theme, only to find my recently purchased RB67 is suffering a bit of a light leak!! Shame I have about another 4 rolls I have put through it before I have realised!! It's a Pro-SD back as well, so must be the revolving back :( The seals look good though, but the leak is quite major on one of the frames........

I took an imaginative shot but I'm not sure whether it works. I do have a couple of other more standard wheel shots that I could fall back on. What to do?? :thinking::runaway:

Sent four films off to Filmdev before lunch time today. I'm hoping I get the scans back in time, AND that there are some in-focus wheels on there!

So this is my plan, when those pics come back, I'll have a good look at them and the backups for a couple of days, pick two, make some nice edits and crops, print them and put them on my wall for a couple of days, then pick the final one and submit it by 23:59 on... when is it? Thursday? Thursday? Ummmm...:runaway::runaway::runaway:

So this is my plan, when those pics come back, I'll have a good look at them and the backups for a couple of days, pick two, make some nice edits and crops, print them and put them on my wall for a couple of days, then pick the final one and submit it by 23:59 on... when is it? Thursday? Thursday? Ummmm...:runaway::runaway::runaway:
I've given up planning, planning just gets in the way of art and creativity! :D And on that pretentious bombshell.... ;)

Joking aside, best of luck Chris. (y)

Last edited:
Thumbs up to Filmdev ((y) ), 4 films downloaded today, having been posted yesterday!

Thumbs down to me ( (n) ), 0 (none) of the re-shoots or other wheels shot on any of the rolls look interesting enough to print...

I did find a few other possibles from earlier, and I've printed them off to outgas overnight, and I'll see what I think tomorrow...

So, displaying pics in portrait format... for landscape, I would save them at 1024 across, but if I save portrait format images at 1024 tall, I find they can't be viewed on my screen without scrolling up and down, so I usually pick 800 pixels tall. It seems to lack a little impact at that size! I'm using a MacBook Pro, supposedly 2880 x 1800 resolution, so I would have thought it would comfortably take a 1024-tall image, although there are web browser headers and footers etc to account for.

What do others use for portrait?

My Lightroom preset saves all my photos at whatever size will fit within a 1500 x 1500 boundary (1500 x 1500 for square, 1500 x 1000 for 3:2 or 1500 x 750 for photos cropped to 2:1 etc), then when I share from Flickr I pick the biggest of the medium choices which 800 on longest edge I think, to allow for users with small screens. Then it also fits on my smallest monitor at work which is my conveniently angled forum/eBay/YouTube monitor :whistle:

So, displaying pics in portrait format... for landscape, I would save them at 1024 across, but if I save portrait format images at 1024 tall, I find they can't be viewed on my screen without scrolling up and down, so I usually pick 800 pixels tall. It seems to lack a little impact at that size! I'm using a MacBook Pro, supposedly 2880 x 1800 resolution, so I would have thought it would comfortably take a 1024-tall image, although there are web browser headers and footers etc to account for.

What do others use for portrait?
I just do 1024 high. I recall when using my brothers Mac that it was a pain to get scaling right in the Web browser, but with the opposite problem. I had to have my nose touching the screen to read the tiny writing.

@Andysnap & I both took photos of @Carl Hall 's drone when we met up with him & Angie in March. Luckily we both have alternative airborne shots to submit! :D
Great minds and all that! Just as well I got in early, as I don't get out as much as you and @Andysnap... mind you, I don't think anybody gets out as much as you two! :D

Wasn't easy getting that shot either due to breezy weather, and the fact it kept backing away when I got near it... but I've been told they stop being timid once the laser is armed, so all should be well when it's time for voting! ;)

Back