FILM Photographer of the Year 2018 - Discussion

That's never stopped me from entering :D

Nor me, but I do wonder sometimes whether some self-restraint would be in order! "Only show your best work" etc etc...

January is now closed for entries, and the voting poll is up. It will stay open for 7 days.

Februarys entries thread is now up and ready for entries :)

@TheBigYin could you unsticky Decembers thread and sticky Februarys please? Cheers!

January is now closed for entries, and the voting poll is up. It will stay open for 7 days.

Februarys entries thread is now up and ready for entries :)

@TheBigYin could you unsticky Decembers thread and sticky Februarys please? Cheers!

Done.

So, February is Still Life is it... Hmmm... now, let me see... wonder if I can actually join in for once on that one.

January was too hard in a month when you take less shots and could depend on luck being at the right place and time...IMO still life would have been easier esp shots indoors. :grumpy:

it's not supposed to be easy Brian, it's a competition and a motivational tool to get people out there shooting more than they otherwise would...

Still no email or call from FilmDev, sorry. :( I knew it was going to be tight when I posted the film (first class) on Monday, but I suppose it was worth a go, and there's probably nothing suitable on it anyway!

Still no email or call from FilmDev, sorry. :( I knew it was going to be tight when I posted the film (first class) on Monday, but I suppose it was worth a go, and there's probably nothing suitable on it anyway!

You'll still get as many points as me ..... :eek::D

it's not supposed to be easy Brian, it's a competition and a motivational tool to get people out there shooting more than they otherwise would...

Well every subject is hard to get a winner without making it more difficult to get there.....nothing happens where I live (well maybe someone picking up some dog poo) and walking around the nearest town hoping to catch an incident on a cold January day ain't much fun at my age...end of grumpy rant :eek:

You'll still get as many points as me ..... :eek::D
Yes, but it's the taking part only to have our photos totally ignored that counts... and I didn't even manage that! :facepalm: It's no good, I think I'll have to buy some of that Impossible Project instant film and get that Polaroid 1000 camera out of the loft! :D

Just so you all know, the voting period for February's entries will be just under 5.5 days instead of the usual 7. I'm on holiday from the 7th March, so the poll will close at 4pm on the 6th. This gives me time to sort out and post the results before the inevitable rush to start packing that evening :D

My problem this month is too much choice...

Does Mrs Snap sit STILL a lot then? [emoji48]

Oh no, she's a proper jumping Jan, never still for a moment :D

My problem this month is too much choice...
I've shot nearly two films worth of still life attempts, but have no idea yet whether it represents any kind of choice at all!

I was surprised to discover the light levels in our kitchen dropped to below LV 4 by just after the middle of the afternoon. That's at the bottom of the capabilities of my Sekonic 208. It's OK with the LX, I can stick it on aperture priority and it meters off the film back down to -6.5 EV apparently! Needs a bit of exposure compensation sometimes to cope with reciprocity failure. But the (remaining) MX needs to go on B and count elephants...

Doing my still life for this month, it appears I've forgotten how to use my camera. Took an embarrassing amount of time to get the thing to open the in the first place!

Last edited:
I’ve got a roll to take into Peak tomorrow with my still-life efforts. Still-life isn’t really something I do much of (at least not that I think of my stuff as still-life, even though some of it probably falls under the description) so I’ve no idea how they’ll turn out or whether they’ll be any good. I’ve got hopes for at least a couple of the shots, but I’m tempering them as I used my Rolleinar close-up lenses for the first time, so they could end up being technically underwhelming if I’ve not used them properly. I guess I’ll have a better idea tomorrow. Otherwise I have a week to shoot something else.

Well mines in, best I could come up with.

I've been so out of my comfort zone doing still life! I'm not artistic in any way and struggled to come up with decent ideas and was then hampered even further by my lack of technical skill & know-how. How on earth I've ended up with something to post up for this month is a mystery!! But I have....and also have 'backup' shots for a couple of other months as well! It's a good job Mr Snap was around to bark instructions at me (sorry, offer advice and the benefit of his experience) :D;)

All I need to do now is actually get around to posting said image before the end of the month!

Someone on here (maybe @Kevin Allan ?) (or maybe in the "Show us yer film shots" thread) said they did indoor still life type shots using a bedside lamp (or anglepoise, or similar perhaps) as a light source. After my experiment using a LED torch as light source, I'm wondering what sort of modifier would be usable to soften the light? (IIUC modifier = some sort of cloth over the light source to both soften it and make it larger and more diffuse...)

I have two rolls shot so far, but without having seen the results I'm not happy with either of them. Annoyingly, an orchid started to re-flower just as we left home the other day! No doubt it will still be in flower when we get back, but I'm not sure there will be enough time then to submit!

I shot four sheets last night, going to soup them tonight. Need to test the streerman dev tank at the same time.

I've made life hard for myself, not used the LF in a long while, the lighting I've picked is tricky etc but at least I don't have to wait a few weeks for confirmation I've messed up.

I just used window light and a large white card to reflect some light back onto the subject.
I often just use a candle for lighting and it seems to give an exceptionally nice look.

In my old house I could use the kitchen halogens, there was loads of room and the spotlights could all be individually pointed. My new house the kitchen is tiny and the dining rooom has a horrible light with loads of small halogens so the light is all over the place so I've had to be a little more creative, thus leaving myself wtih some tricky light.

Someone on here (maybe @Kevin Allan ?) (or maybe in the "Show us yer film shots" thread) said they did indoor still life type shots using a bedside lamp (or anglepoise, or similar perhaps) as a light source. After my experiment using a LED torch as light source, I'm wondering what sort of modifier would be usable to soften the light? (IIUC modifier = some sort of cloth over the light source to both soften it and make it larger and more diffuse...)

before I treated myself to a couple of proper studio flash heads and softboxes, I used to use a bedside lamp for my shots... modifier is easy... get a big cardboard box - line it in silver foil, and cut a hole in one side, cover the hole with 2 sheets of a3 tracing paper, taped down. jerry-rig the box over the lamp head, and hey-presto, you've got a low-tech "softbox". if you need more light and a bigger diffuse light panel, then use a white plastic shower curtain, and a 500W halogen worklamp as the light source...

only real issue is white-balance, not really a big deal in these days of scanning and photoshop i guess - though BITD, shooting commisioned work on transparencies you had to be a bit more careful to not pee off the clients (and, YES, at times I did shoot pro work using "builders lamps" like the halogen lights mentioned before...)

Well I've got four images, they look okay, maybe a little under exposed. Need to scan them tomorrow maybe need to do another set up.

Stearman tank seems okay, it's a bit leaky for my liking given I'm using pyrocat, it's pretty nasty stuff.

... and another roll of 36 hanging up to dry, wonder if any of this lot will pass muster. Can only hope.

an orchid started to re-flower just as we left home the other day! No doubt it will still be in flower when we get back,

Our white Orchid has been in flower for months and included it (with others) for this month's comp...rather than mess about with different lights and have casts on colour film, decided to use the VG Vivitar 283 flashgun (gives daylight) leaving the exposure sensor on the hot shoe and moved the flashgun at different positions over the subjects.......probably shots all ruined (by showing a bit of shutter curtain) as in the low light set the shutter speed at 1/125 instead of 1/60 :eek: :banghead:

Well I've got four images, they look okay, maybe a little under exposed. Need to scan them tomorrow maybe need to do another set up.

Stearman tank seems okay, it's a bit leaky for my liking given I'm using pyrocat, it's pretty nasty stuff.

Hmm, not convinced by these and one has a socking great line running down it from the development (I think)

Come on folks, a recent pic of your gran would get you points right now!

Come on folks, a recent pic of your gran would get you points right now!

h'mm have jan and feb shots to send off and missed the boat (Asda's fault o_O ) last film done was in last Nov :(

I took my photo when I got home from work this evening, and the films currently hanging up and drying. Gonna be a close one I think!

Back