FILM Photographer of the Year 2018 - Discussion

Poll is up for 5 days, closing Tuesday morning :)

@TheBigYin could you do your thing and sticky March's thread, and unsticky January's please? :) Ta muchly

sure can, only wish I'd managed to actually get an entry in on my favourite subject... sadly the one weekend I had spare to do something with the camera came right after the Hospital doing a "stress test" on the heart repairs they did, and I was under very strict orders not to do anything strenuous - and as building a set with sheets of plasterboard walls, and climbing up into the loft to retrieve the lighting kit were deemed "no-no's" by my friend who was enforcing my lazyness, i'm afraid I missed out on shooting :(

sure can, only wish I'd managed to actually get an entry in on my favourite subject... sadly the one weekend I had spare to do something with the camera came right after the Hospital doing a "stress test" on the heart repairs they did, and I was under very strict orders not to do anything strenuous - and as building a set with sheets of plasterboard walls, and climbing up into the loft to retrieve the lighting kit were deemed "no-no's" by my friend who was enforcing my lazyness, i'm afraid I missed out on shooting :(

I was going to click "Like" but realised it could be mis-interpreted. Hope the recovery is going well, Mark.

I was thinking about the Still Life challenge, and it's really good that FPOTY has got people shooting something different, with some excellent results, too!

I was thinking about this list of things we have to shoot...

Themes

Now the part that you've all been waiting for! The themes for 2018 are:

January: The decisive moment
February: Still life
March: Chains
April: Fake
May: Wheels
June: Airborne
July: Speed
August: Close up and macro
September: Natural light portrait
October: Street shot
November: Waste
December: Wet

Grump... How did this happen? Surely we can't have voted for fake, or airborne, or speed? Or waste, for goodness' sake! And given what a lot of shy, retiring, monosyllabic loners we are (or maybe it's just me), not sure how many entries there's be for portraits, natural light or not! I think that there @Carl Hall threw out our votes and dreamed up a new, specially hard list!:dummy:

End grump

Well, looked at another way, it's certainly going to be challenging! But I've realised I'm going to have to put quite a lot of thought and time into some of these later shots, so I thought I'd remind folk of what's coming.:eek::D

EDIT: PS, not a serious grump, don't want to be misinterpreted, sorry for casting nasturtiums, Carl!:D

Last edited:
That's democracy for you :D. I was a bit horrified by the list myself but as a newbie I thought I'd just better man person up a bit and get on with it. Haven't even got anything for chains yet let alone those others.

Isn't Carl on holiday? could we get get @TheBigYin or @Cobra to edit the list before he gets back :whistle:

Well I think making the list the easiest one should be jan and feb, when we are less likely to go out and shoot,but feb was ok this time as you could shoot indoors.
erm my grump is waiting to send all my entries off (4 rolls but gotta finish the 4th) but haven't been out much as I hurt my foot 3 weeks ago and difficult to walk so could miss the boat for March also.....:crying: :banghead:

I've got some ideas for the next couple of months this month it needs to stop bloody snowing! And I've got September scanned :D . It all kind of falls apart after that...

Well, I thought I'd better make an effort and at least try, so I got some shots for 'Chains' last weekend and I've just had a flash of inspiration when I spotted something whilst driving home so, despite the Siberian conditions (yes, I'm going for the sympathy vote here), I dashed back out again and grabbed a couple of shots for 'Fake' too, so I'm cooking with charcoal now! ;) Knowing my luck, either they won't turn out or it'll be a case of "and here's another one you won't bloody like"! :D

Last edited:
I managed to get an enormously shoehornable shot for chains....still on the lookout for something better though.

cooking with charcoal now
:D:D:D

Well I was out in the snow flurries this morning getting at least something for chains on a new (to me at least) toy, and whilst doing that I had a better idea for chains that doesn't involve standing next to a river in the snow :facepalm: so that's tomorrow's job. just scanning the negs from this morning...

I know exactly the shot I want for chains, sadly it's 350 miles away and I won't get near it in time. If I get it later I might stick it in the "miss the cut" thread!

Meanwhile, every shot I've taken for this month is boring as hell... :(

I had an idea for chains and it's worked reasonably well. I could also use it for fake but then I'd have to think of something else for chains and we're running out of time! :runaway:

I had an idea for chains and it's worked reasonably well. I could also use it for fake but then I'd have to think of something else for chains and we're running out of time! :runaway:

Get Andy to form a human chain in the pub and take a shot :eek: :D

I've got a couple of shots I like for chains (plus several others that might be contenders on a roll I've still to finish), and also have shots I can use for Wheels, Street Shot and Natural Light Portrait (although I aim to take other shots to choose from too).

Fake is probably the one I'm struggling with most (although I did have an idea for a shot this morning), and the one with the least amount of time to get sorted. :eek:

Driving out (and back again) yesterday I saw what looked like a candidate shot for "waste". Three emptied bins leaning at odd angles against each other. Grabbed a camera and walked out after I'd got back... someone had taken their bin in and set the other two straight! :(

Driving out (and back again) yesterday I saw what looked like a candidate shot for "waste". Three emptied bins leaning at odd angles against each other. Grabbed a camera and walked out after I'd got back... someone had taken their bin in and set the other two straight! :(

The Indecisive Moment.

I don't even have a photo that I can shoehorn in this month, think I'm going to have to get a bit creative this weekend!
Hoist with his own petard... now that's an idea... ;)

Just realised this morning, it's Easter next weekend as well as the end of the month, and there's no post on Good Friday! Off like a shot to the post box with my film! Hopefully it should get there tomorrow ready for a Monday or Tuesday development and return by Thursday's post! Where does time go?

Just realised this morning, it's Easter next weekend as well as the end of the month, and there's no post on Good Friday! Off like a shot to the post box with my film! Hopefully it should get there tomorrow ready for a Monday or Tuesday development and return by Thursday's post! Where does time go?
That's one advantage of Filmdev, you get your scans back by download, so the return post isn't an issue. But yes, I'd better finish that second roll!

That's one advantage of Filmdev, you get your scans back by download, so the return post isn't an issue. But yes, I'd better finish that second roll!
The last few times I've sent films to AG for 'develop only' on a Tuesday and got the negs back on Thursday, so a 1 day turn-around, plus a big saving scanning them myself. I hope they're as quick this time as I've sent a black and white film in the batch, last time I sent a black and white film to Filmdev it took an extra day to get the download; I don't know if this was due to the post getting the films there, or a one-off delay, or if it takes/took them longer to do black and white. I can only go by past experience, so chose AG and the saving home scanning will bring. Fingers crossed it works out OK.

And yes, get that second roll finished as you'll need to post it on Monday if you want a good chance of getting it back on time! That's why I thought I'd better mention the Easter 'day missing' thing on here, mind you, other people are probably more organised than we are... but judging by some of the previous paniced posts I've seen on here perhaps not! :runaway: :D

Last edited:
Thanks Badger. I've not noticed any additional delay sending black and white film to Filmdev except when I sent them an early roll of P30 and they rang up in a panic about how to process it! In the end they did it by hand in a tank with XTOL, but said they didn't want to encourage that particular film until better instructions were available.

Not really a great day but I might take the black and white camera out today and the colour one tomorrow morning... If only I could find some more chains round about here!

Well I could enter the biggest shoehorn ever with a picture of my wife and I together, as I have been "chained" for 52 years o_O OH wait I have got a shot taken since last December erm come to thinks of it, it might be years of us together standing in front of my tripod with a shutter release cable in my hand :eek:

Well I could enter the biggest shoehorn ever with a picture of my wife and I together, as I have been "chained" for 52 years o_O OH wait I have got a shot taken since last December erm come to thinks of it, it might be years of us together standing in front of my tripod with a shutter release cable in my hand :eek:

I think everyone will be shoehorning by the sounds of it. No entries posted yet lol

Back