FILM Photographer of the Year 2018 - Thoughts and Ideas

I think we've more or less wrapped up all of the issues now? Unless anyone has anything else they want to bring up?

If you haven't added your four theme suggestions to this thread, please can you make sure that you do it before 23.59 on Monday 20th? I'll get a poll up on the Tuesday morning so we can vote on them.

Just post your themes in this thread like other people have, and I'll skim through and hoover them up :)

So far I've had suggestions from:
  • RaglanSurf
  • FishyFish
  • Mrs Snap
  • Andysnap
  • Mr Badger
  • steveo_mcg
  • dmb
  • srichards
  • simoness
The people below have entered in the last three months but haven't made any suggestions yet. If you're on this list and want to suggest themes for 2018 then time's a tickin'!
  • Woodsy
  • mothdust
  • ChrisR
  • Robclarke
  • compulsivehordr
  • stevelmx5
  • Slyelessar
  • Kevin Allan
  • excalibur2
  • Thmaga
  • kendo1
  • Peter B
Anyone who plans to enter in 2018 is free to suggest 4 themes, the lists above are just so I can keep track of who needs a poke with a stick :)

Last edited:
  • RaglanSurf
  • FishyFish
  • Mrs Snap
  • Andysnap
  • Mr Badger
  • steveo_mcg
  • dmb
  • srichards
The people below have entered in the last three months but haven't made any suggestions yet. If you're on this list and want to suggest themes for 2018 then time's a tickin'!
  • Woodsy
  • mothdust
  • ChrisR
  • Robclarke
  • compulsivehordr
  • stevelmx5
  • Slyelessar
  • Kevin Allan
  • excalibur2
  • Thmaga
  • kendo1
  • Peter B
Anyone who plans to enter in 2018 is free to suggest 4 themes, the lists above are just so I can keep track of who needs a poke with a stick :)

In case they are not following this thread, that is calling @Woodsy @mothdust @ChrisR @Robclarke @compulsivehordr @stevelmx5 @Slyelessar @Kevin Allan @excalibur2 @Thmaga @kendo1 @Peter B

Cheers David (y) I think only the first few tags work when you tag a lot of people in a post, but hopefully it'll knock a few more off the list! :)

• RaglanSurf
  • FishyFish
  • Mrs Snap
  • Andysnap
  • Mr Badger
  • steveo_mcg
  • dmb
  • srichards
  • Woodsy
  • mothdust
  • ChrisR
  • Robclarke
  • compulsivehordr
  • stevelmx5
  • Slyelessar
  • Kevin Allan
  • excalibur2
  • Thmaga
  • kendo1
  • Peter B

Well I did mention an off the cuff suggestion of faith, hope and charity..which is a decent subject for shoe horning o_O but don't mind if it is omitted.

I like the idea of challenging themes, but I do think straying too far out of the comfort zone is a problem. I suspect that one of the reasons for the failure of the 2016 FPOTY was my suggestion of Intentional Camera Movement as a theme!

Nevertheless, I do think themes with some creative interpretation possibilities (apart from mere shoe-horning out of desperation) are a good idea! I did most of a 52 when I first joined this forum, and faced with a theme like "Sin" does make you think!
[...]

My suggestions for slightly more challenging themes would include macro/closeup, still life, after dark, stranger portrait, street, animal life, abstract, tell a story...

So:

- Macro/closeup
- Still life
- After dark
- Stranger portrait

... are my 4 suggestions!

Think shoehorn, strange, stranger, strangest. [emoji85]

Of course shoe horning is a F&C specialty :rolleyes: Some people are not amused taking a head and shoulders shot for a portrait...it would have to be someone performing for the public which makes it more difficult if you don't live in a city or go to gigs (or whatever)....although a beggar might let you photograph him for a quid :eek:

Think shoehorn, strange, stranger, strangest. [emoji85]

When I read Stranger Portraits I also thought I'd have to break out the shoe horn as I don't like most of the people I know, let alone the ones I don't :D

I figured I could shave a friend's head and put them in a dress to look like Eleven, for a "Stranger Things" portrait!

• RaglanSurf
  • FishyFish
  • Mrs Snap
  • Andysnap
  • Mr Badger
  • steveo_mcg
  • dmb
  • srichards
  • Woodsy
  • mothdust
  • ChrisR
  • Robclarke
  • compulsivehordr
  • stevelmx5
  • Slyelessar
  • Kevin Allan
  • excalibur2
  • Thmaga
  • kendo1
  • Peter B

You missed me.

I'm not hurt and upset. Not a bit.

:)

@Carl Hall

You might want to ask a mod to sticky the November entries thread as it has slipped off page 1. (y)

Oops, sorry Simon! I will add you to the top list! :)

I took the names from the list of FPOTY names that have entered recently, and you've taken some time away from it lol.

Thanks Carl.

To be honest, I don't like competitions, but I keep having a go.

I shall probably enter a few next year then pack in again.

It's still nice to contribute at this stage though.

Thanks Carl.

To be honest, I don't like competitions, but I keep having a go.

I shall probably enter a few next year then pack in again.

It's still nice to contribute at this stage though.

It depends who you plan to compete against really. I know Asha said that he was only going to compete against himself and use the themes as a way of taking photos of things he wouldn't normally, pretty much ignoring the results and table all together. The time limits are useful to others to get them out and about when life wants to get in the way. Other people like the friendly competition between forum friends too.

Don't think of it as a competition and it's pretty much like any other monthly themed challenge in F&C.

Feel free to dip in and out of the comp and do whatever months take your fancy though :)

Cheers Andy, I did ask in the discussion thread but I think it got missed. I'll ask again :)

Hello Mr @TheBigYin , can you sticky November for us please? And also un-sticky September? Fanks

I think the right way to do this is to go to the thread and report it, eg see the button at the bottom of one of the posts. Then any mod can do it, not just relying on Mark.

I think the right way to do this is to go to the thread and report it, eg see the button at the bottom of one of the posts. Then any mod can do it, not just relying on Mark.

technically, yeah, that's true, but provided I've not been run over by a bus or hospitalized again, I'll generally pop in once a day anyway

Suggestions need to be in today so that I can put a poll up in the morning, just a quick tag for those who haven't put their themes in. If you don't want to suggest themes then that's fine, just as long as you've had the chance to!

Pretty sure I've read elsewhere on the forum that only the first few people you tag in a post get the notification, so I'm going to do a couple of posts just to make sure...

As a theme for December, how about 'Christmas'? Might help put us in the mood with some festive photos and give us something to photograph over this year's Xmas and New year break? :)

Sorry bud. I saw I was tagged the other day but I’ve been up to my eyes in plaster and paint with a rework in the house.

The only theme I can think of is “something new”. It can be interpreted however anyone feels but I’d see it as a way to step outside your normal ideas/kit/location etc

I honestly thought you were going to say that you were plastering and painting some new camera project for a second :LOL:

Okey dokey, I'll add "something new" to the list for you (y)

We're up to 48 at the moment :) I don't see why we need to worry about having too many suggestions- Just means I have to print off more bits of paper to stick in my top hat for the random draw :D

Perhaps Carl could filter out any duplicate/very similar suggestions before making the draw? That should reduce things a bit. (y)

Neolithic :)
Sparkles
National Dress
Castle
Windswept
Chains

I'll decline to suggest a subject, as you have plenty already, and I may not participate next year as I have an idea for a (pardon the artistic airs and graces) project that I may use all my time on.

Ok no problem Kevin, I look forward to seeing the results of your project (y)

Back