FILM Photographer of the Year 2019 - Discussion

According to Wikipedia 'A photographic triptych is a common style used in modern commercial artwork. The photographs are usually arranged with a plain border between them. The work may consist of separate images that are variants on a theme, or may be one larger image split into three.' (I couldn't see a wiki definition for a photographic diptych).

I've got a couple of possibilities for this month so far. Both are diptych's consisting of two related photos that have been stitched together, with a border between them, to create one file.

However, this is F&C so interpret the theme as you see fit.

Last edited:
As usual it's all about your interpretation, I see it as Chris does ie 2 or 3 photos (probably complimentary in some way) in a single image. I have many ideas, all of them rubbish :eek::ROFLMAO:

Oooo, I've just come up with a Baldrick-esk cunning plan :)

Does it involve putting underpants on your head, pencils up your nose and saying 'wibble' a lot?

As usual it's all about your interpretation, I see it as Chris does ie 2 or 3 photos (probably complimentary in some way) in a single image. I have many ideas, all of them rubbish :eek::ROFLMAO:

another take could be 3 "panels" that tell a story - think cartoon strip / film storyboard....

Oooo, I've just come up with a Baldrick-esk cunning plan :)
It wouldn't involve planes by any chance, would it? ;)

And I noticed that you seem to have acquired an SL66 kit on the quiet. (y)

It wouldn't involve planes by any chance, would it? ;)
LoL, no, Nige was quite close, it was vegetable (as in not animal or mineral) related

And I noticed that you seem to have acquired an SL66 kit on the quiet. (y)
Well yes but don't tell anyone, especially not my wife
yikes.gif
The scars from where they removed the internal organs to pay for it are healing nicely. It has gone for repair, I bought it on the basis that it needed work but couldn't resist putting a roll though it before it went away so more from that in a few weeks.

Well yes but don't tell anyone, especially not my wife
yikes.gif
The scars from where they removed the internal organs to pay for it are healing nicely. It has gone for repair, I bought it on the basis that it needed work but couldn't resist putting a roll though it before it went away so more from that in a few weeks.
Always fancied one, but never actually went as far as a visit to Ffordes to try one out when they have them in stock. My Bronny SQ kit is underused as it is, but I cleaned up the battery holder on my SQA-M and it's working now as well, although not film tested yet. :snaphappy:

In fact I wish you hadn't said that; I've now got vegetable triptychs going round in my head. How about a neeps and tatties diptych? Meat and two veg? :)

Tin of peas, tin of taters, tin of spam?

Always fancied one, but never actually went as far as a visit to Ffordes to try one out when they have them in stock. My Bronny SQ kit is underused as it is, but I cleaned up the battery holder on my SQA-M and it's working now as well, although not film tested yet. :snaphappy:
I was going to give the SL66 a go and then decide whether to keep the SQ-A or the SL66, I do like square medium format and the tilt and macro on the SL66 seems like it might be fun. After doing up the SL66 I recon I would get my money back if I sold it (that's my excuse anyway) so it seemed worth a punt.

Pointers to a very simple guide to making a diptych or triptych gratefully received, as my brain is hurting from my initial PS attempts. :asshat::banghead::crying:

I have Lightroom as well, so maybe put a border round each photo and do a photomerge? :thinking:

Last edited:
I'm going to do it in Lightroom's print module. Happy to do it for you (or anyone) assuming it's three portrait orientations next to each other. If you have Lightroom and want to DIY...

- Select the three images (important)
- Go into the Print module
- Bottom left, change the page setup to A4 Landscape
- Top right, Layout style "contact sheet"
- Layout - Set to Rows: 1, Columns: 3 (or 2 if there's 2 images)
- Layout - Mess around with cell size and spacing to get them how you like
- Page - Page Background Color will allow you to change the background
- Print Job - change to "print to jpeg"

- Click "Print to file". You will be asked for a location to send it to.

- Re-import the jpeg into Lightroom if required to crop the A4 size to something "nice" for presentation or to trim any margins if you've selected a non-white background colour.
- Upload the jpeg to your preferred image hosting service.

I'm happy to do it for people. Just send me 3 appropriately sized (i.e. small) images and a preferred background colour. I'll send you a jpeg by return.

Last edited:
I'm going to do it in Lightroom's print module. Happy to do it for you (or anyone) assuming it's three portrait orientations next to each other.
I'm happy to do it for people. Just send me 3 appropriately sized (i.e. small) images and a preferred background colour. I'll send you a jpeg by return.
Many thanks for this Ian, I'll be giving this a try later or tomorrow. I also appreciate your very kind offer, but I think I have to at least try this for myself before I give in and perhaps take advantage of your kind offer. :)

Many thanks for this Ian, I'll be giving this a try later or tomorrow. I also appreciate your very kind offer, but I think I have to at least try this for myself before I give in and perhaps take advantage of your kind offer. :)

Good for you. Not everyone has Lightroom so I thought I'd offer. I'd be lost doing it in Photoshop, Gimp, Elements or any other software.

It's not too hard in PS, one way is to import your photos as layers (you can do this from LR or directly in PS), make the canvas more than 3 times as wide (Image->Canvas Size) and then just drag each layer to position, add a coloured background layer to form the borders ....

Not that it's likely to be relevant to anyone else, but the approach in Aperture looks pretty much exactly like what @Harlequin565 wrote!

Just had a try with shots of a photographer who appeared not to notice that I was already there and set up for the imminent sunset. :banghead: I just need to find suitable shots now, and improve my sizing. ;) Many thanks @Harlequin565 and @sirch (y) (these were taken with a view to the Living Landscape challenge)

ContactSheet-003.jpg

Last edited:
That set does rather nicely illustrate some of the subtleties that have to be taken into account, @Peter B !

Just had a try with shots of a photographer who appeared not to notice that I was already there and set up for the imminent sunset. :banghead: I just need to find suitable shots now, and improve my sizing. ;) Many thanks @Harlequin565 and @sirch (y) (these were taken with a view to the Living Landscape challenge)

Can't quite make out the red laser targeting dot on the offending interloper .... :bat:

Can't quite make out the red laser targeting dot on the offending interloper .... :bat:
Ah, but I was still thinking about the possibilities of a Living Landscape photo, so she had to be living .......... :angelic:;)

twitching on the sand counts as living. you could always finish them off afterwards.

twitching on the sand counts as living. you could always finish them off afterwards.
:jawdrop:

The next night I set up just around the next bend as it had better foreground, and a couple on the beach lit a fire to keep the midges away. Guess where the smoke went? :banghead:

No one have anything for July yet? Or it is just that no one wants to be first? :D I've got a couple ideas in mind and will hopefully get a chance to take my shots this weekend.

No one have anything for July yet? Or it is just that no one wants to be first? :D I've got a couple ideas in mind and will hopefully get a chance to take my shots this weekend.

Yep I've got one to do with a bit of Photoshop fiddling.

I've got a couple to choose from. Won't have time to take anything else unfortunately :rolleyes:

I've got a few photos that I took with this in mind, but they don't seem to be gelling as I would like when I put them together. :thinking: Time yet for me to sort something out, hopefully.

I've got some ideas (vague and weak, sadly) and taken some shots but, in the way of the film world, I haven't seen any of them yet!

Back