Film Photographer of the Year 2019 (FPOTY 19) thoughts and ideas: Poll added

Question - Do you want to include either of the suggestions outlined in FPOTY 2019?

• Neither

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Mystery Month only

Votes: 10 47.6%
  • Joker only

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Both

Votes: 5 23.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
you are cosied up with a very talented photographer

I proper lol'd. Not sure if Mr Snap remembers "cosy'ing up" in that darkroom in Mid Cheshire College trying to dunk films in pitch black, dropping the can opener... Fab darkroom. Shame it's all executive housing now :(

Happy days :)

This is of course true but since you are cosied up with a very talented photographer there’s every chance you’ll have one on your wall very soon :D

Don't talk daft man!! It's all pure luck. I'm more surprised than anybody about how FPOTY 2018 has gone so far. Still plenty of time for you all to overtake me :D

Don't talk daft man!! It's all pure luck. I'm more surprised than anybody about how FPOTY 2018 has gone so far. Still plenty of time for you all to overtake me :D

But if you do then watch out, there's nothing more dangerous than an angry Janet. :D

Right, I've been looking at next year's calendar and I've narrowed down the placement of Mystery Month to either May or June based on the reasonably long days at that time of year and the number of weekend / bank holiday days available for those of us who work!

How about announcing the mystery theme on 15th of May for June entries (closing midnight June 30th as usual) and photos taken on or after the 15th of May would be eligible? That would give us the chance to make good use of the late May bank holiday and should give people a bit more lead-in time? Feel free to disagree if people don't like this idea, I won't be offended, just thinking out loud. (y)

Last edited:
That's cool, means I have six months to take a photo of a windswept stranger riding a curvy wooden bike that's on fire across a sandy beach at night when it's raining. Then I'll be sorted for whatever theme comes up for the mystery month :D
A cunning plan, but isn't the point of the mystery month that you only have a set time to shoot it in AFTER the theme has been announced? EG, not relying on your post-Dec 18 photo library?

Last edited:
A cunning plan, but isn't the point of the mystery month that you only have a set time to shoot it in AFTER the theme has been announced? EG, not relying on your post-Dec 18 photo library?

You are quite right, yes. In my head photos taken from the start of FPOTY would be ok, but now that I'm typing that out it does seem a bit daft...

It's still fine though, four weeks is plenty of time for me to craft my masterpiece :D

You are quite right, yes. In my head photos taken from the start of FPOTY would be ok, but now that I'm typing that out it does seem a bit daft...

It's still fine though, four weeks is plenty of time for me to craft my masterpiece :D
See my post above that, I'm after trying to wangle us just a little bit longer ;) after all, curvy wooden bikes can be hard to light in the rain! :runaway:

Last edited:
Last call for any more suggestions of themes to go into the mix for next year along with these? Anyone?

Vintage
Decay
After dark
Curve(s)
Ruin
Wood
Abstract and odd
Big sky
Stone
Windswept
Faith / Religion
Weather and it's effects
Sand
Water
Negative space
Fire
Ascending/Descending
Bright colours
Pictures within pictures or frames within the frame
Earth
Home
Faces
Consumption
Garden
Sparkles
Charity
Tradition(al)
Departed
Stranger portrait
Something new
Neolithic
Diptych / Triptych
Lines
Spooky
Serene
Transport
Entertainment
'Things with faces' / 'Found faces'
Dark
Wild
Little & large
Fungi

(Themes already used in the 2018 competition are: Close-up or macro; Wet; Still life; Street shots; Wheels; Chains; Natural light portrait; Waste; Fake; The decisive moment; Speed & Airborne)

Last edited:
"Selfie In A Mirror" or just "Selfie"

Just cos it'd be easy to do as well as a bit of fun. Ignore if already done, or gaskets start to blow in F&C HQ.

erm who thought of Neolithic..... ok for guys living near Stonehenge or where ever, but for the rest of would mean traveling to a museum or maybe dressing up as an ancient Brit :eek:

erm who thought of Neolithic..... ok for guys living near Stonehenge or where ever, but for the rest of would mean traveling to a museum or maybe dressing up as an ancient Brit :eek:
Brian, you'll soon get the chance to vote on the full list of suggestions so that the least popular ones don't make it into the random draw. You know what to do! ;)

yeah your right Brian... that's only good if you live near stonehenge... nothing anywhere else is there... oh - wait...

http://www.stone-circles.org.uk/stone/

Oooh good idea Brian, I live 45 mins away from Stonehenge, so I'll make a note to vote for Neolithic ;)

Never been there before either, which is weird as people travel from all over the world to see it and I'm just round the corner :LOL:

yeah your right Brian... that's only good if you live near stonehenge... nothing anywhere else is there... oh - wait...

http://www.stone-circles.org.uk/stone/

erm nothing from your list in Buckinghamshire|hertfordshire or south Bucks where I live or London, but do have an old hill fort not far...just a bit of flat grass surrounded by houses that people walk their dogs on :rolleyes: The nearest to me on your list would be two sites in Oxfordshire a journey of 50 miles to get something like this: - http://www.stone-circles.org.uk/stone/hoarstone.htm

Oooh good idea Brian, I live 45 mins away from Stonehenge, so I'll make a note to vote for Neolithic ;)

Never been there before either, which is weird as people travel from all over the world to see it and I'm just round the corner :LOL:

Well I went there about 50 years ago and in those days you could walk around the stones, isn't it fenced off now?

that's it, i'm DEFINITELY voting for it now, might even canvas opinion from rest of the staff while I'm at it...
Hey - remember what you said about vote fixing! ;) Not that I'm bothered as we have a few Neolithic sites in Cheshire, but whether a photo of a peat bog is as exciting as a photo of a stone circle remains to be seen!

Last edited:
Can you please confirm what you mean? Models of things e.g. airfix, toys, replicas etc or people modelling e.g. fashion etc?

It was a nice wide category that could be interpreted as anything that you mention :)

Back