Film Photographer of the Year 2022 Discussion Thread

It's been so windy lately that my plan for puddle reflections have not been possible.
I had to resort to indoor photography.
Whilst playing on the dining room table, my wife's comment almost could have been used as a title,
"If you scratch that table, you'll be in big trouble!"

Just to prove that it's one big party in the Sirch household on a Friday night...
the poll is up, voting open as usual for 7 days

The results are up on the March thread and the overall standings are

1649615111322.png

Those totals look slightly out Chris @sirch
Looks like rounding errors, or more to the point the columns are rounded up but then the total is the sum of the actual values which is then rounded. So if someone got 1.5 for each of 3 months it would show 2 in each month column and look like the total should be 6 but 3*1.5 = 4.5 which rounds up to 5

o_O

I'm open to suggestions as to how people might want to better handle this? (other than KISS- don't have such a f'in complicated scoring system :D).

I too am happy enough with the present scoring format, although I don't understand the advantage of the first set of scores setting a constant for use in every month's comp.

In comps that I take part in (non-photo) where the final result is based on results from several rounds, The max score possible is the number of voters in that round (N) and each entrant's votes (V). The score is based on the max possible percentage. So, as in this month's scores V = 14 (#voters), the highest score was 13 which would get 93 (% of max poss) and so on..... This would also help with the rounding problem as it involves a higher number. I don't doubt that this has been considered and has been discounted for reasons I didn't consider.

The first month doesn't set a constant, the constant is chosen on past history of voting patterns and is around twice the maximum number of likely voters in any given month. We find that in the first few months of the year more people vote so by the end of the year there are fewer voters which would make the scores for each month have different weights over the year, the constant is there to (imperfectly) normalise the scores across the year

The April thread is open for entries

I left my effort a bit late. I wanted to get some good light on my scene, but had not realised that the tree would still be bare at this time of year.
I am having problems with dust and water marks, my apologies for this. I need to clean up my process (and the bathroom).

Watermarks can often be fixed by re-washing. I have also taken to holding the neg horizontal for a minute or so (more like until I get bored of holding it) to get most of the water to drain to one edge and then hanging vertically, which seems to help.

Last edited:
Watermarks can often be fixed by re-washing. I have also taken to holding the neg horizontal for a minute or so (more like until I get bored of holding it) to get most of the water to drain to one edge and then hanging vertically, which seems to help.
Is it worth wiping the film with a cloth or squeegee? The cloths that I've tried all seem to have fibres that stick to the emulsion and I blame the squeegee for giving long scratches on the film.

Is it worth wiping the film with a cloth or squeegee? The cloths that I've tried all seem to have fibres that stick to the emulsion and I blame the squeegee for giving long scratches on the film.
I never wipe but I do sometimes squeegee with my fingers if I can see uneven drying on the neg after the first few minutes of hanging, I wet my fingers and then gently run the film between two fingers. I don't use one of those rubber squeegees. I know someone who uses a hairdryer, I think this is more likely to blow dust on to the film but he reckons that there is less chance for dust to stick because of the faster drying time. Not having any hair, I don't have a hairdryer :)

I left my effort a bit late. I wanted to get some good light on my scene, but had not realised that the tree would still be bare at this time of year.
I am having problems with dust and water marks, my apologies for this. I need to clean up my process (and the bathroom).
I use, of all things, a salad spinner to get rid of excess water on my films. While still on the spool they get a short soak in water with a few drops of Ifotol wetting agent (or in stabiliser for colour) then with a long centre spindle pair up with another full or empty spool and place in spinner across diameter. 30 seconds of turning gets them surface dry and then just hang up by clipping top and opening spool and adding weight clip. As well as reducing drying marks it seems to help reduce dust and fibres sticking to them while drying.

I often get drying marks (although rarely on 120 film for some reason), even after using a wetting agent and using distilled water for the final rinse. I used a squeegee with success for the last few rolls, but then some Tri-X from the other week ended up with a lot of scratches, so I doubt I'll use it again. Otherwise I squeegee between my fingers.

If I do get drying marks, a quick wipe down (on the non-emulsion side) with IPA and a cleaning cloth seems to get rid of them.

If I do get drying marks, a quick wipe down (on the non-emulsion side) with IPA and a cleaning cloth seems to get rid of them.
Sounds like the marks are not on the emulsion side then Nige, and makes me wonder if others find the same:thinking:

Sounds like the marks are not on the emulsion side then Nige, and makes me wonder if others find the same:thinking:

Yeah, I've not noticed drying marks on the emulsion side (in my personal experience, not sure if it's the same for everyone, or even if it's just the case that they're harder to spot on the less relective surface).

I'm very disappointed in myself but this year has been a bit of a struggle so I've not managed anything remotely relevant to the themes. However I am going to attempt to get at least a few entries in before year end

:)I'm very disappointed in myself but this year has been a bit of a struggle so I've not managed anything remotely relevant to the themes. However I am going to attempt to get at least a few entries in before year end
Good on you Andy, we've missed you. (y) And we've missed your better half as well. :)

QUOTE="RaglanSurf, post: 9140797, member: 11980"]
Chris, is there a cunning calculation that you're using? There seems to be some odd totals on the board.
[/QUOTE]

The spreadsheet shows rounded numbers for each cell. So a score of 2.4 shows as 2, add that to a score of 3.4 shown as 3 gives a total of 5.8 shown as 6

QUOTE="RaglanSurf, post: 9140797, member: 11980"]
Chris, is there a cunning calculation that you're using? There seems to be some odd totals on the board.

The spreadsheet shows rounded numbers for each cell. So a score of 2.4 shows as 2, add that to a score of 3.4 shown as 3 gives a total of 5.8 shown as 6
[/QUOTE]
Well that makes sense. :LOL:

Just remembered that I haven't put the May thread up yet, if I don't do it this evening, feel free to remind me

The May entries thread is up, apologies for the delay, I've been rather busy with other things

Back