Film Photographer of the Year - The shots that didn't make the cut

Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
I don't know how everyone else is coping with the pain of having to chose which shot to enter but I'm struggling some months to pick one, so i thought I'd start a thread for those shots that didn't quite make it.

This was my other transport option, which will probably be familiar to those of you who went to Cornwall.

Tiny Transport FPOTY May 2017 Out-take by Nick Watson, on Flickr

I've already posted this in Show us yer film shots, but I'll add it here too. Had I taken this before I'd already submitted something, this might've been my entry (although I now think my original choice is probably the better one of the two).

Yashica Mat 124 G & Ektar.

FILM - Guard
by fishyfish_arcade, on Flickr
It was your shot that prompted me to make this thread. I really like your shot and I can see why you might have had trouble choosing between the two but I think you made the right choice.

It was your shot that prompted me to make this thread. I really like your shot and I can see why you might have had trouble choosing between the two but I think you made the right choice.

Thanks Nick. I think it was the colours and shallow DOF in this one that appealed on first glance, but the other shot has a lot more interest and is a tighter fit for the subject I reckon, so I'm still glad I made my original choice.

It's a good idea for a seperate thread BTW.

My didn't make the cut photo for 'Shadows'. A combination of fast waking cat and pressing the shutter button just a moment too late resulted in me not capturing the full shadow of the cat, a shadow covering her eyes and her head being out of focus... so not much wrong there then! :banghead: Never work with children and animals!

Last edited:
This month it was the shot I had planned for a while but never got chance to take that didn't make it! One of those where you fit a 17mm lens to your camera, lie on your back under some suitably light green and leafy trees (beech or larch are ideal) and take a photo of the converging verticals of green leaves and brown or silver trunks against the small patch of blue sky in the centre. The 17mm lens and EOS3 were ready and waiting, but work got in the way. :sorry:

Well, it's the thought that counts... so just give me 5 points and we'll call it right. :D ;)

Well, any of these couldn't have done much worse than my nuclear explosion entry!

a) Probably the last to be shot, I quite liked this quirky little tree growing in a fence post...

1708EPMXBW37 by Chris R, on Flickr

b) @steveo_mcg might recognise this, on the shores of the Forth. I like it but wanted a bit more sky action and could never get there at the right time.

R1-06190-0004 by Chris R, on Flickr

c) Quite conflicted about the giant fennel beside the pine tree in this shot from near the highest point on Capri: is it unnecessary untidiness or does it echo the tree shape nicely?

R1-07393-028A by Chris R, on Flickr

d) I liked the shape of this tree and the sheep in its shade (though not underneath it) but again I wanted more sky. Lovely day for a coast walk (Dorset, near Golden Cap), but not the best light.

000046910024 by Chris R, on Flickr

The mono ones were Pentax MX, the colour were (the sadly now busted) Pentax LX with Pentax-M 35-70 (which has also sadly lost infinity focus after the same drop)

Well I think the problem is making a bridge (or any subject) interesting i.e. something different from a record shot...many times I often think how would a famous photographer take this shot. Well the other version of my bridge shot would be this and don't think a famous photographer would have bothered.
DwjBEeR.jpg

There's a place called 'Bell End' near Worcester as well. Interesting to photograph hasn't stopped any of my entries so far :D

Well, I was going to take a shot of the "Fanny Hands Lane" street sign in Ludford, Lincs. on my way back from Mablethorpe the other week. It's a brilliant street name, but maybe not the most interesting photograph though. :)

There's a place called 'Bell End' near Worcester as well. Interesting to photograph hasn't stopped any of my entries so far :D

Is there not a Signs topic coming up in the FPOTY? ;)

Surely "close, but no cigar" rather than rejects? ;)

I had quite a lot of candidates for this month, as I suspect most of us did (there are a lot of churches to go around). I had trouble picking, but I did like this one, which I think is the Chapel of St Catherine's Almshouses in Exeter.

1704APMXBW18 by Chris R, on Flickr

Shot on Tri-X in a Pentax MX, with a lens... :)

OTOH I had high hopes for this one (St Mary's, Warwick), rather dashed on seeing it. I even went back a couple of times, but both before I'd seen the results of earlier attempts. Night photography is one of those things that might take a long time learning (whisper it, a bit of chimping might have made the learning faster!)

1708APMXBW16 by Chris R, on Flickr

Shot on Acros 100 in a Pentax MX, with a different lens (possibly the M 35mm f/2)... and a tripod!!! Exposure using @steveo_mcg 's cheat sheet... needs more work dealing with street light highlights.

Nice shots, David. I think if I'd seen the HDR one on its own it would have been fine, but somehow it looks a little bit less authentic than the non-HDR one to me!

Nice shots, David. I think if I'd seen the HDR one on its own it would have been fine, but somehow it looks a little bit less authentic than the non-HDR one to me!

Me too. Will give the straight one a try next time I fire up the enlarger. Perhaps a split grade print would let me get the window detail and the pews from one neg. I like a challenge.

Shot on Acros 100 in a Pentax MX, with a different lens (possibly the M 35mm f/2)... and a tripod!!! Exposure using @steveo_mcg 's cheat sheet... needs more work dealing with street light highlights.

Yeah, I get around that with seriously compensating developers. Pyrocat or other staining developers help hold back the areas around the lights. You might find there is still detail there but you'll need some local dodge or burn to pull it out. A hood might help control the flare on the right side of the shot too that would also help with local contrast. Only other suggestion is try some different lenses, some handle flare better, the 127mm on the rb is near impossible to flare but the 65 needs very careful placement and some luck to avoid it.

It's a good shot just the same.

Yeah, I get around that with seriously compensating developers. Pyrocat or other staining developers help hold back the areas around the lights. You might find there is still detail there but you'll need some local dodge or burn to pull it out. A hood might help control the flare on the right side of the shot too that would also help with local contrast. Only other suggestion is try some different lenses, some handle flare better, the 127mm on the rb is near impossible to flare but the 65 needs very careful placement and some luck to avoid it.

It's a good shot just the same.

Thank you Steven. A hood is a good idea; I have a couple of those rubber ones but never think to use them.

Probably a good idea experimenting with different lenses. It would probably help if I'd made a note of the actual lens in use! I'm pretty sure it's either the M 35/2 or the Vivitar Close Focus 28/2.8, guessing I'd have gone for the former for the extra stop of light.

How does everyone have so many spare shots? I barely have one photo each month :LOL: Still, makes the selection process simpler I guess!

How does everyone have so many spare shots? I barely have one photo each month :LOL: Still, makes the selection process simpler I guess!

Some of us make the mistake of doing selfies for 'Reflections' so here two of the six wasted shots.

2017-12-06-0007es.jpg
Yashica FR and Yashica ML f/1.4 - FP4+ ID11

2017-12-06-0012s.jpg
Yashica FR and Yashica ML f/1.4 (same one) - FP4+ ID11

P.S. Wife says I need a haircut before Christmas

Last edited:
December's outtakes...

1 - This was the tossup choice, before going for the shot I entered. I like the shot and the composition, but I had to stand awkwardly on a bench to take it using the waist-level viewfinder of my Yashica Mat, and it suffered from a bit of camera shake. I processed it to try and get it looking it's best, but the end result seemed a little false (although it looks fine if you don't zoom in). Yashica Mat 124 G and Ilford FP4+.

FILM - Church in a pond

2 - another close contender. Taken with my Sure Shot Telemax on HP5+. I've got another couple of versions of this, one of which I think I like better, but which was taken with my OM-1 and not processed in time.

FILM - A place of reflection

3 - I like this shot, but it didn't really get close to being my final choice. Nikon F70, 50mm f/1.8 AF-D & Ilford Pan F 50.

FILM - Another selfie

4 - I like this one a lot too, but it's maybe a bit busy on the eye. Great reflection though. In any case, I only took it on the 21st December and it was too late to get it processed as I still had half the roll still unshot. Olympus OM-1, Zuiko 135mm f/3.5 & Kodak Tmax 100.

FILM - Private fishing

Last edited:
I think you went for the right one in the end Nige, I really liked your entry for December. I can see why you struggled to pick one though as they are both really good!

I think you went for the right one in the end Nige, I really liked your entry for December. I can see why you struggled to pick one though as they are both really good!

Thanks Carl. I ummed and ahhed for a bit as I wondered if the fact that so much was out of focus (albeit deliberately) would work, but in the end it was the only one of my choices that I thought might look nice in a frame on my wall. :)

Back