FILM Photographer of the year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Submitted my entry last night.

Had 2 dealines for 31st January...tax return and this.

Tax return yet to be completed....you have to get priorities right :)

(y)

I wrote a rather large spreadsheet that basically does my VAT and tax returns automatically. It really does make life easier :)

Well I still use an old "Quicken for windows" program.....brings up profit and losses where money was spent etc in a few clicks....downside is you have to enter all the details in, which is boring.

cowasaki said:
If those who have submitted FILM images can check their email and make sure you stated FILM in the title or at least the body of it. At least one has fallen through the net so far.

When you say in the title... Do you mean the subject line?

That's cool, I just wanted to make sure you didn't mean in the file name of the image.
Cheers

That's cool, I just wanted to make sure you didn't mean in the file name of the image.
Cheers

No the filename is irrelevant. All the emails come in and I copy the image file to a directory and call it entryXXX then it's just a matter of copying the standard post and changing the number.

Hope we have enough film entrants to justify having it as a separate section

I guess we'll find out in a week or two! Of course, the filmies have to score in at least one judge's top ten of ALL the submissions, so it's entirely possible that none of us will get a point (at least, that's how I understand the rules).

I've not looked at last year's results, but some of the pics for the 52 this year are really good. :(

It's all subjective Chris, what one judge might pan as being awful might be liked enough by another one to make it into their top 10. Likewise the shots you think are good in the 52 shooters might not do it for the judges at all.

No point worrying about it, just get an image in and see what happens, you never know, you might win something (y)

Yes, that was my idea. At the very least, I should learn something. In fact, for month two I have already learned heaps about macro and related subjects (like for example my Tamron 85-210 in macro mode won't focus AT ALL with a 2x tele thingy!).

The word 'Macro' on most zooms is a bit of marketing really, most of the time they don't even do 1:4 of life size, the one I mentioned is a little exceptional as it does actually reach half life size and can be taken up to 1:1 with a short extension tube.

Sam, I've been testing today, and the macro on my Tamron 85-210 is pretty darn good. I think it's approximately half life size, and focusing down to around 5-6 inches. Seems to be at least as good as a 2x macro/filter tpe lens, although I haven't done any direct comparisons. A reversig ring should arrive tomorrow, so I should have most of the kit I need.

I am discovering that it's one thing to have the gear for a macro image, but quite another thing to make a decent photograph using it! Oh well, plenty of time to learn?:wacky:

Sam, I've been testing today, and the macro on my Tamron 85-210 is pretty darn good. I think it's approximately half life size, and focusing down to around 5-6 inches. Seems to be at least as good as a 2x macro/filter tpe lens, although I haven't done any direct comparisons. A reversig ring should arrive tomorrow, so I should have most of the kit I need.

I am discovering that it's one thing to have the gear for a macro image, but quite another thing to make a decent photograph using it! Oh well, plenty of time to learn?:wacky:

The digital guys win in that they build up a sequence of shots.....sorta like slices of images from back to front.

The digital guys win in that they build up a sequence of shots.....sorta like slices of images from back to front.

Few actually do! You could adjust the aperture to give you a bigger depth of field.

Few actually do! You could adjust the aperture to give you a bigger depth of field.

Probably because they are not sure how to do it ;) ...I only own a half working digital P&S and I haven't attempted it but have seen some excellent macro shots on another forum using this method.

Yes, today I was in a howling wind with the heavy Tamron on the Pentax ME on my £5 charity shop tripod, in mud on a sloping hillside, shooting at f/16 with 1-2 second exposures. I'm treating this film as a training exercise! Rather doubting there'll be any keepers in it:thumbsdown:.

Yes, today I was in a howling wind with the heavy Tamron on the Pentax ME on my £5 charity shop tripod, in mud on a sloping hillside, shooting at f/16 with 1-2 second exposures. I'm treating this film as a training exercise! Rather doubting there'll be any keepers in it:thumbsdown:.

You'll have to try something flat as using this DOF calculator you don't have much depth even at f22. I have a Vivitar 55mm macro lens and it is a problem (of depth). Many close up shots of flowers are not very good as you focus on the stamens and the rest looks blurred. :shrug:

http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

Clearly the only option left then is extreme movements on a large format camera with a roll film back :D

I shall pop out and get one this afternoon....^^ :)

Andy

If the film entrants could add a few lines saying:

Camera, film, whether developed by entrant/commercially, type of dev etc, whether scanned or printed (and how ie scanner details or commercially or printed on/how & then scanned) etc

This would be a very interesting addition.

Looking forward to seeing how the film entrants get on in the main section. My favourite shot is a film entrant and it is on the podium from the first judge (not saying where on the podium) but we will have to see what the other judges say.

But unfortunately a bit of an issue with most months as it breaks the rules for film or digital :nono:

But presumably focus stacking is quite within the rules for February? I thought it was one of the 4 options!

cowasaki said:

Camera, film, whether developed by entrant/commercially, type of dev etc, whether scanned or printed (and how ie scanner details or commercially or printed on/how & then scanned) etc

Where would you want this info, in the email with the submission?
Also, would you want those details emailed separately for January's entries?

Where would you want this info, in the email with the submission?
Also, would you want those details emailed separately for January's entries?

Stuck on the end of the email would be fine. Any in the top ten film can submit them later.

Oh dear. Two films back today, 71 dull and uninteresting shots! Back to square one!

Oh dear. Two films back today, 71 dull and uninteresting shots! Back to square one!

That's just about matches my ratio :LOL:

Month 1 won by a film photographer, nice work Steve (y)

Well it appears my Rodinal isn't munged, got round 2s images developed and drying now :)

Darren,

My equipment was:

Leica M2 with Elmar 50mm 2.8 collapsible lens (screw lens so on an M mount adaptor)

Tri x film developed at home in D76.

Printed at College where I do an evening class on Ilford Multigrade IV resin coated paper.

Print then scanned using Epson V500. (I did try to scan the negatives in using the V500, but they were horrible...really need to work out where I'm going wrong with negs)

Hope this covers everything

Darren,

My equipment was:

Leica M2 with Elmar 50mm 2.8 collapsible lens (screw lens so on an M mount adaptor)

Tri x film developed at home in D76.

Printed at College where I do an evening class on Ilford Multigrade IV resin coated paper.

Print then scanned using Epson V500. (I did try to scan the negatives in using the V500, but they were horrible...really need to work out where I'm going wrong with negs)

Hope this covers everything

Well done Steve, quality shot and great to see a film shot at the top of the pile. There's a good percentage of filmies taking part as well which is excellent. I'm particularly pleased that I managed to leave all the judges absolutely speechless with my offering either that or their comments are unprintable in a family forum :LOL:

^^I left them speechless too. Would be nice to have a line of feedback...

I did better than I expected :)

With 40+ entries it is just too much to give feedback on all of them so unfortunately those that don't make anyones top ten AND have no glaring need for feedback (ie had the horizon been straight you would have been in the top ten type thing) don't get any.

TBH I struggled so much with the vague concept of 'value' that I nearly didn't post anything at all which shows in my shoe-horned choice of subject :LOL: But I'm determined to enter every month so just went with my nearest suitable shot. I wouldn't have left me any feedback either :LOL: I think I have something better for this month.

I failed miserably to get a shot for January so I'm going all out for Feb.

Well done Steve, an excellent shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back