FILM Photographer of the year

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was chuffed to bits when a film shot won!

Just goes to show that it's not all about the expensive digital body.

Rules now changed to include:

How to submit an entry

• On the 1st of each month entries are open for that specific month.
  • Your entries should be in jpg format and emailed to poty@talkphotography.co.uk ensuring that you are only emailing entries for that particular month (any entries not for that month will be rejected).
  • Please call your entry YOUR USERNAME
  • You will receive a confirmation once your email is sent, if you do not then please use contact us.

Please now include the following header which includes the username, month, film bits which have been removed as rules because they are now in this bit:

Username:
    Title:
    {up to 20 words which might help explain your reasoning regarding theme etc.}
    Camera model:
    Lens:
    Month:
    Film:
    {YES or NO}
    Developing options:
    Post process:

• At the end of the round, a thread will be created where all entries for that month will be displayed anonymously, in random order and the judges will then be given access to this thread. The judges will be given up to 14 days to decide on a winner and to give short feedback in relation to the entries. Although they may finish earlier.
  • Once you have submitted an entry, you will not be able to change it.

h'mm how do you see the shot in Ist place or 2nd, 3rd etc and entries have no names to show who took the shot.

Post #1 of the thread shows the results and who took each image.

Oh well gave up...but I got the answer from clues and it was entry 22 that came Ist and it was the best (y) ...maybe in your spreadsheet you could link placings along side entries for say the first 5, 10 or all depending on the amount of work involved?

Thanks for the comments :)

I'm so happy with the result, and especially that it was on film.

Nice to see a 60 year old lens can still hack it compared to modern glass.

Agreed the M2 is not cheap compared to many 35mm film cameras, but it still only cost me about the same as an entry level DSLR kit.

I did consider taking the photograph on my Nikon FE2, and wonder how different the result would have been. Would probably have been easier too, but no point in owning a camera and not using it.

Will certainly be using the Nikon for February.....rangefinders not too good for macro :)

With 40+ entries it is just too much to give feedback on all of them so unfortunately those that don't make anyones top ten AND have no glaring need for feedback (ie had the horizon been straight you would have been in the top ten type thing) don't get any.

Aha! Mine clearly had a glaring need for feedback then!

(Actually I totally agree with the feedback on mine; if I get a chance I may try a re-shoot, although I seem to remember there were other constraints on that particular shot.)

After finishing in the pack, I now see that I have scored points, unbelievable, I had thought that after the feedback I got it would be impossible to enter again and score, I am so delighted that Darren after correcting the scores and entries that I am there with a shouting shouting chance.

When you enter a shot and you are told very good conversion to B&W and it is shot in B&W film you feel a little depressed, then when you are told the cropping is to tight and it is straight out of camera, you again feel uncomfortable, as it was straight out of camera.

I now feel that the mighty twelve is going to be good and I already am shooting march.

As someone said winter indoors Summer out and then the film will come into it's own.

Last edited:
After finishing in the pack, I now see that I have scored points, unbelievable, I had thought that after the feedback I got it would be impossible to enter again and score, I am so delighted that Darren after correcting the scores and entries that I am there with a shouting shouting chance.

When you enter a shot and you are told very good conversion to B&W and it is shot in B&W film you feel a little depressed, then when you are told the cropping is to tight and it is straight out of camera, you again feel uncomfortable, as it was straight out of camera.

I now feel that the mighty twelve is going to be good and I already am shooting march.

As someone said winter indoors Summer out and then the film will come into it's own.

There is a new header to use at the start of your email so from now on name your email as your user name then use this header:

Username:
Title:
Camera:
Lens:
Month :
Film: YES - (Ilford Delta 100 pro ISO 100, 35mm, Black and white)
Developing Options: ID-11, Ilford rapid fixed, Ilford stop
Post Processing: NONE

So in FILM you could put "YES - (DELTA 100 PROFESSIONAL ISO 100, 35mm, Black and white)"

Under developing options put "Professional" or "ID-11, Ilford rapid fixed, Ilford stop" etc

If you've then printed your own you can add that information. The judges can then see that the image was always black and white etc etc

The header will be kept till later but the bottom three lines will be included with the title and image for the judges.

Everyone still is, remember there are still 275 points left!

If the film entrants could add a few lines saying:

Camera, film, whether developed by entrant/commercially, type of dev etc, whether scanned or printed (and how ie scanner details or commercially or printed on/how & then scanned) etc

This would be a very interesting addition.

Darren, did you want this after the fact for round 1? I couldn't see a way of adding it myself. Mine was the war memorial/wreaths one, taken on a Pentax ME with Pentax-M 50mm f/1.7 lens, Kodak GC-400 colour film (expired 2005, kept in daughter's bedside drawer since well before then!). Processed and scanned commercially (AG-photographic), 2/3 crop to try to get rid of distracting detail.

I had a frustrating evening trying to get a digital macro lens to work on my film body. Aperture ring didn't seem to be working. It was working fine on digital body in aperture priority, but film body is fully manual, and it didn't seem to like it.

No idea if it's worked...will develop the film tomorrow and hope it's ok.

Darren, did you want this after the fact for round 1? I couldn't see a way of adding it myself. Mine was the war memorial/wreaths one, taken on a Pentax ME with Pentax-M 50mm f/1.7 lens, Kodak GC-400 colour film (expired 2005, kept in daughter's bedside drawer since well before then!). Processed and scanned commercially (AG-photographic), 2/3 crop to try to get rid of distracting detail.

I had a frustrating evening trying to get a digital macro lens to work on my film body. Aperture ring didn't seem to be working. It was working fine on digital body in aperture priority, but film body is fully manual, and it didn't seem to like it.

No idea if it's worked...will develop the film tomorrow and hope it's ok.

That's why I keep a "modern" Nikon film camera too, the F80, as it works with the non aperture ring "digital" lenses.

That's why I keep a "modern" Nikon film camera too, the F80, as it works with the non aperture ring "digital" lenses.

Don't tempt me :)

Just got permission from wifey to get a MF format film camera.... think it will be my last camera purchase for some time

Developed the film this morning and they look okay...so exposure seems right which was my main concern. Waiting for them to dry to see if they match the expectation in my head.

Don't tempt me :)

Just got permission from wifey to get a MF format film camera.... think it will be my last camera purchase for some time

Developed the film this morning and they look okay...so exposure seems right which was my main concern. Waiting for them to dry to see if they match the expectation in my head.

I was going to go down that route as I have an enlarger here that will handle MF but didn't get round to it. I don't have the time at the moment but it's all still there until I do. I do hope that you do actually have a digital camera though....

Yep, got a DSLR and digital compact.... so sorted for them.

It's just film cameras I lust after...keep on peeping on ebay which is dangerous

Yep, got a DSLR and digital compact.... so sorted for them.

It's just film cameras I lust after...keep on peeping on ebay which is dangerous

Had you noticed what your prize is yet? :D

Had you noticed what your prize is yet? :D

awesome!

Tried once to photograph water droplets.... took about 100 shots and didnt get one decent photo..... so very excited about getting one of these. :)

Do I need to contact anyone to sort it?

awesome!

Tried once to photograph water droplets.... took about 100 shots and didnt get one decent photo..... so very excited about getting one of these. :)

Do I need to contact anyone to sort it?

I need your name, address and camera model by pm

Hi all,

Can I ask a cheeky question, do the first, second and third prizes each month include film or are film entrance shots treated as a different genre and receive a prize as well?

Said it was cheeky. :)

Well, I have sent four film away to AG, the first time I have used them, one 35mm, one 220 and two 120, it is the first time I have used them, so it a bit of a risk.

The films are for the next two entries, so if the results are carp then maybe for me nothing to declare.

Looking to try and master the HP C8180 that I bought for MF on recommendation only to find that it does not do what was said, so a little aprehensive :).

I tell you the TBY is right this comp lark is not cheap, but I love it. good luck to all, especially the FILM guys. :D

Yes, I've sent my second couple of films off, that's 4 for this month's entry alone! And there may be more... I hope I can find something on these two that's notably better than the candidate from the first two.

I'm slightly regretting one thing: in my usual rather OCD way, not advertising the shot locations for possible future entries has had a rather chilling effect on my sharing of images here. :thumbsdown:

I'm also regretting starting a film 52 in the same year... :shrug:

Well rightly or wrongly I have selected my entry and it has been sent in, so now the long wait. :)

Mine's in. (y)

Finally admitted that I'm not going to get the shot I've been dreaming of all month, and that if I did, I'd never get it processed, scanned and sorted in time. So my backup shot is now in. I wonder if there are still few enough of us for everyone to get a point? :D

Finally admitted that I'm not going to get the shot I've been dreaming of all month, and that if I did, I'd never get it processed, scanned and sorted in time. So my backup shot is now in. I wonder if there are still few enough of us for everyone to get a point? :D

21 entries so far and 5 are from new entrants which means that 16 of 43 who entered last month have submitted them...... Hope there are a mad rush at the end.

Congratulations to ChrisR on winning the film section this month with a cracking shot.... It's still very open in there at the moment.

Well done Chris, cracking shot (y)

Congratulation Chris wonderful winning film section shot, well done.

Wow! Just got back and can't quite believe it! Thanks everyone. Not sure if it said, shot with my ancient Tamron-F 85-210 in macro mode.

Wow! Just got back and can't quite believe it! Thanks everyone. Not sure if it said, shot with my ancient Tamron-F 85-210 in macro mode.

Congratulations Chris.... a stunning image you produced.

Particularly impressive 3rd place overall....in a difficult category for film to compete against digital.

I haven't written the film section of the spreadsheet yet so had to update it manually and missed ChrisR's 2nd place. It'll correct itself when I finish the spreadsheet over the next week or so.

Congratulations Chris.... a stunning image you produced.

Particularly impressive 3rd place overall....in a difficult category for film to compete against digital.

Thanks Steve... yes, I think I used 4 films, and that shot was one of the early ones. Mostly beginner's luck, I think. First focus stacked shot ever! Later I was trying for even greater depth of focus stacking with some mosses on a grave stone, but I got this weird effect where the front and rear of the shot were in focus, but some middle bits weren't. And of course, you don't find out until a week later!

May I scream? Aaaaaaaarrrrrrrggggghhhhhh!

I thought I was doing well: re-did the seals on my Pentax ME, ran a test roll of Vista through, then did the re-shoot of my March effort. That left around 15 shots on the roll, so I decided to go into Coventry and try to get some shots for the 52. I got some reasonable shots by the canal, and walking back towards Max Spielmann in town, I rewound the film. When I opened the camera back in the shop, the film had not rewound, and the rewind knob came off in my hand! I think with the cold and old age etc, I had been "rewinding" the knob the wrong way! Needless to say almost all the shots on the roll are affected, and it's pretty much a write-off (oddly, except for the very last shot I took; maybe I did manage to get that back into the canister!).:bang::bang::bang:

May I scream? Aaaaaaaarrrrrrrggggghhhhhh!

I thought I was doing well: re-did the seals on my Pentax ME, ran a test roll of Vista through, then did the re-shoot of my March effort. That left around 15 shots on the roll, so I decided to go into Coventry and try to get some shots for the 52. I got some reasonable shots by the canal, and walking back towards Max Spielmann in town, I rewound the film. When I opened the camera back in the shop, the film had not rewound, and the rewind knob came off in my hand! I think with the cold and old age etc, I had been "rewinding" the knob the wrong way! Needless to say almost all the shots on the roll are affected, and it's pretty much a write-off (oddly, except for the very last shot I took; maybe I did manage to get that back into the canister!).:bang::bang::bang:

The latest contender for '101 Ways To Ruin a Roll of Film' thread (y)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back