FILM Photographer of the year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolutely, and many of Steve's shots were just fantastic. For me, his fashion shot was the leader of the pack, better than all the digi shots, and one that must have been harder on film (not being able to check the take when there's so much to go wrong). Congratulations Steve.

Thanks Chris.

It was a long planned shot. It's my daughter in the photo wearing a second hand bridesmaids dress I got on ebay for a tenner, and was taken on our family holiday in Wales in July. And yes...it was nerve wracking waiting for the velvia to be developed, and as a judge pointed out, there is a bit of an odd red cast that I wasn't sure how it got there. Was lots of fun doing it. Had my other daughter holding the off camera flash and wife holding a reflector, neice holding the cable and nephew holding a fishing rod with line attached to dress to make it 'fly' Got lots of odd looks from holidaymakers but was fun...Got some other nice ones from same shoot that I will post some time.

Despite the new film-friendly rules, I'm contemplating not entering POTY15 this month. I've entered film shots for 24 straight months, and I feel if I keep going I'll rebuild the pressure I was feeling at the end of last year. Plus I don't think I've taken any shots that might be worth entering off their own merit (as opposed to place-markers), and have had no films process yet (one is on the shelf waiting for another to finish, and with the best will in the world I'm unlikely to do my first home processing run this month, since we're likely away next week). It's slightly annoying; I didn't do very well in the early part of last year when there were lots of non-film entries, but that aspect is fixed this year for filmies.

Nothing's certain until the first of Feb, but looking unlikely right now. :thinking::runaway:

I'm having similar thoughts. Coming dead last in the 12 month club and looking back at how many shots I've entered just because I felt the need to enter vs how many actually had a chance of scoring points I'm not sure it's really worth the effort for me personally. Some months I think it did push me but most of the time I ended up entering what I was shooting anyway. I don't know...

Thanks Chris.

It was a long planned shot. It's my daughter in the photo wearing a second hand bridesmaids dress I got on ebay for a tenner, and was taken on our family holiday in Wales in July. And yes...it was nerve wracking waiting for the velvia to be developed, and as a judge pointed out, there is a bit of an odd red cast that I wasn't sure how it got there. Was lots of fun doing it. Had my other daughter holding the off camera flash and wife holding a reflector, neice holding the cable and nephew holding a fishing rod with line attached to dress to make it 'fly' Got lots of odd looks from holidaymakers but was fun...Got some other nice ones from same shoot that I will post some time.

You've still not told the story of the fabulous anything goes shot!

Thanks Andy :)

I'm going to be a judge for 2015, so there will be someone on the panel who wont say nice conversion when you use Fuji Acros.

Excellent. :D

Thanks Andy :)

I'm going to be a judge for 2015, so there will be someone on the panel who wont say nice conversion when you use Fuji Acros.

And please feel free to kick the other judges arses if they say it as well Steve...

Me - but that's for the Staff Version (and my shot this month is on dijikal as all my chemicals were expired and nasty :( )

I should add, I do sort of feel that I aught to at least shoot SOME of my entries for the Staff POTY on film - but as I say, as all the chemicals are expired anything at the moment is going to have to be sent away for developing (which pretty much ruins half the enjoyment of shooting film in the first place for me...)

haven't used that for 20 years or more mate... i'd ID11, Perceptol and Ilfosol but they'd all gone off - I honesty haven't souped a roll of film for over 2 years :(

I've not even got a wee bag of d76 I could donate. Let me check if I've got some perceptol, I'm not sure I'll ever use it.

oh, it's okay - I'll stock up for the next few months, it was just the january edition that was a little hurried - seeing as it was something like 10 days into the month before we decided to so anything, then another 10 days or so for me to find my cameras and the rest of the stuff (i really, really have pretty much put the kit in storage alltogether for a few years!)

Nine out of 40 from the filmies, if my counting still works! Well done folks.

Pretty impressive turn out from the traditionalists.

sorry folks, let the side down for film on the Staff POTY (not that there's a fillum category specifically in that one anyway - just a trifle too niche) but my shot was on digital for January... I'm really hoping to get the all clear from the quack to get outside and shoot something for february though, and if i'm allowed out in the first couple of weeks, I'll try and get something on the Bronny... problem is, they're a bit good are some of those other staff-members, and If its a choice of DFL on film or a couple of places higher on the dijikal, I'm afraid I'm awfully competitive and weak willed...

Reactions: Yv
sorry folks, let the side down for film on the Staff POTY (not that there's a fillum category specifically in that one anyway - just a trifle too niche) but my shot was on digital for January... I'm really hoping to get the all clear from the quack to get outside and shoot something for february though, and if i'm allowed out in the first couple of weeks, I'll try and get something on the Bronny... problem is, they're a bit good are some of those other staff-members, and If its a choice of DFL on film or a couple of places higher on the dijikal, I'm afraid I'm awfully competitive and weak willed...

:LOL: I have a digikal 'banker' shot for Feb, but part of me is hoping I have something on one of the 2 rolls of film currently in use, but having seen the level of my colleagues, it might just be game upping time and digital will win out.

I've been having a sub game of spot the filmies shot in the poty shots. @TheBigYin was somewhat obvious, you have a very distinctive style mate :).

... and I've been trying to work out who's who in the non-staff POTY... but I guess we shouldn't out anyone else. Only trouble is, AFAICS one distinguished member here appears twice!!!

what I like about the Staff POTY bit is that it gives everyone something to speculate upon (and probably argue over...) while the judges get a bit of peace and quiet to prepare the results for the Main Event...

Not worth starting a new thread Mark, but is there a bug in the software as when going back and forward the pages using the arrow in Firefox, also opening up two separate talkphotography (so I can copy and paste to either) ...I sometimes get logged out although I have stay logged in box ticked....can't pin down when this happens yet and it could be intermittent.

Last edited:
Not worth starting a new thread Mark, but is there a bug in the software as when going back and forward the pages using the arrow in Firefox, also opening up two separate talkphotography (so I can copy and paste to either) ...I sometimes get logged out although I have stay logged in box ticked....can't pin down when this happens yet and it could be intermittent.

Lots of threads already started about it in the appropriate place Brian

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/logging-in-all-the-time.577357/
https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/t...ut-clicking-links-to-other-tp-threads.576998/
https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/https-logs-out-while-navigating.575715/

and a few others...

Short Answer is, Marcel's trying to get the forum to work on https: rather than http: but there's lots and lots of old-style non-secure links in the mahooisve database of posts from the last 10 years or so worth of inane drivel we've all been contributing to, so occasionally things go a little iffy. He's working on it, but it's complicated by different needs for desktop browsers, mobile browsers and mobile apps. so basically it's a whole lot of fannying about to get it to work.

You're not the only one thats getting "victimised" - I get logged out pretty often as well - on either Windows XP, Vista, W7, W8, W8.1, W10b, Macs various, and a couple of flavours of Linux, using browsers ranging from IE, Firefox, Chrome, Chromium, Safari and a few other obscure ones...

So - if you've anything more to say on that, put it in one of the threads in Site Help please and don't derail this thread any further.

Last edited:
Aaand back on topic...

Well - sort of - I've just ordered a couple of bags of D-76, so I should be good to go again with B&W film in a couple of days... time to start thinking of something that'll work in B&W on fillum for the next few months I guess...

Sorry for keeping putting things about the "Staff POTY" in here, but I'm actually excited at being able to actually sort of join in with the competition again - even if the chances are, with film shots, i'm only likely to be up against Yv... Can't see the rest of The Slackers picking up a film camera unless someone does a serious bit of evangelism at the Mega-Meet... Though Actually, something like an EOS-1v would probably sell most of the Canonites on it - same or better metering than their digital, as fast or better AF and "full frame" (by their standards;)) for a couple of hundred quid...

Aaand back on topic...

Well - sort of - I've just ordered a couple of bags of D-76, so I should be good to go again with B&W film in a couple of days... time to start thinking of something that'll work in B&W on fillum for the next few months I guess...

Sorry for keeping putting things about the "Staff POTY" in here, but I'm actually excited at being able to actually sort of join in with the competition again - even if the chances are, with film shots, i'm only likely to be up against Yv... Can't see the rest of The Slackers picking up a film camera unless someone does a serious bit of evangelism at the Mega-Meet... Though Actually, something like an EOS-1v would probably sell most of the Canonites on it - same or better metering than their digital, as fast or better AF and "full frame" (by their standards;)) for a couple of hundred quid...

That's the beauty of it. My F100 is as good as if not better than my D7100 in all the important things like AF and metering and its built like a tank and runs on 4 AA batteries for 3 years.... Winner.

Aaand back on topic...

Stick my F80 in their hands and I reckon a few Nikonites would see the light too, everything is just like their digitals apart from that funny glass bit on the back.

I know in a way it's missing part of the attraction of shooting film for some people (me included if I'm that way out) but the fact that my EOS-3 handles pretty much interchangably with the EOS-7d is excellent for certain stuff - I get to shoot the occasional gig for my mates bands (paid stuff, so it doesn't see the light here i'm afraid) and they really like the authentic film look on the B&W stuff - so - I'll shoot FP4 or HP5 (pushed a couple of stops in both cases) on the EOS3 and the colour stuff on the 7d, but I get to at least share lenses...

(and, in fairness, the Canon EF lenses I've got are far better lenses in terms of IQ than the older lenses in the collections - well... maybe not the ones on the Bronny, but a medium format 40mm f4 and a 75mm f2.8 aren't necessarily the most versatile lenses to be shooting bands with...)

Last edited:
Yep, got to admit I prefer using the Pentax with its split screen and what have you, BUT the Nikon is the 'pick up and go' film camera just because I can use all my current lenses on it, which makes it particularly easy to pop in the bag with the digital kit if needing that for work purposes. Which is why I think it would be attractive to digital only users too, everything fits and it has enough inbuilt metering not to be wasting too much film for beginners in the dark arts. Oh yes, it got dropped in the snow this morning too, still works :LOL:

:woot: D-76 sachets arrived today - been a little busy behind the scenes today, so I've not had chance to get it mixed up, and i'm just heading out for the evening now, but hopefully I'll get something sorted tomorrow, and get some B&W through the Bronny or EOS-3 just to have something to practice on again... it's been a while, and I'd like to get back into the swing of home souping again with something that I'm not relying on for the competition...

:woot: D-76 sachets arrived today - been a little busy behind the scenes today, so I've not had chance to get it mixed up, and i'm just heading out for the evening now, but hopefully I'll get something sorted tomorrow, and get some B&W through the Bronny or EOS-3 just to have something to practice on again... it's been a while, and I'd like to get back into the swing of home souping again with something that I'm not relying on for the competition...

Well done matey, good to see you back on that horse.

well - that's been a interesting morning - I've run a roll of Delta 100 through the Bronny - some "test shots" - or, more accurately, playing around with the studio flash head and a "normal" still life flower arrangement, just basically testing that I've got my ducks in a row again for shooting with film and flash (and, with the compromise of having to use a "7D Digital Back" for the Bronny (i.e. Shoot, chimp, shoot again, finally get happy, then transfer the settings :LOL:) - But, if it's all worked okay, there's 3-4 frames on the end of the roll of something dark and shadowy that may be good for Challenge 37.

I'm hanging fire on mixing up the chemicals etc. for the moment - i'm recovering from a rather nasty chest infection, and even the smell of dev/stop/fix is enough to send me into coughing fits which aren't exactlly a bundle of fun. Another couple of days and I'll get the chemistry kit out.

Hope it clears up soon, Mark. I haven't used flash on a film camera since... well, almost never on the SLRs, and only when it happens without my knowledge on a film compact (the mju II being particularly naughty in that respect). Something I need to get into, I think.

Stick my F80 in their hands and I reckon a few Nikonites would see the light too, everything is just like their digitals apart from that funny glass bit on the back.

The F80 is a corker, it's the film camera I used most of the time (although I actually preferred the FM).

... and I've been trying to work out who's who in the non-staff POTY... but I guess we shouldn't out anyone else. Only trouble is, AFAICS one distinguished member here appears twice!!!

Did we get a roll call as to who was entering from f&c? It would make the sub game easier!!

im in for Jan but will have nothing for feb. No ideas and too busy moving house. I did have an idea to freeze something but after 2 weeks in the freezer there was 0 ice build up, so i guess modern defrosting technology defeated me :)

Last edited:
I've got an idea for Feb but I'm not sure how well it'll work... Its either going to look really good, or (more likely) a technical failure lol. Got an idea for March too, but need to get Feb in the bag first!

One thing I really don't like about POTY, is that if I take a good photo that I would normally share on the forum and be really excited about, I find myself keeping it on the computer "just in case" I want it for the open themed months

One thing I really don't like about POTY, is that if I take a good photo that I would normally share on the forum and be really excited about, I find myself keeping it on the computer "just in case" I want it for the open themed months
I felt the same last year, I hardly posted anything on the forum or Flickr "just in case" and it made the whole thing less enjoyable. Even harder this year due to all the "open" rounds.

On one hand, I wish I'd held on to a few of my earlier photos from this year for submission in "open" rounds (e.g. the Manchester canal Reflections photo that's all reflection - I think that's a particularly good one). On the other hand, both my OCOLOF project and the F&C and POTY competitions are prompting me to take many more photos than I have done in the past, so sitting on the ones I'm particularly happy with seems counter-intuitive. I'd much rather go out with a competition entry in mind so that I'm looking for specific images than fall back on using an image that was taken weeks or months before; if it turns out that my planned image doesn't work or turns out poorly, it's up to me to improve my ability until I can capture the image I want rather than hold a stock of "acceptable" images on the off-chance.

Well - I know I'm not in the "proper" competition, but getting back on the horse and trying to shoot for the Staff version, while keeping to the rules of the real thing, I have to say that it's not really a worry to me... for the themed months, I'll shoot a specific shot for them... I think that I may get a couple of the summer shots "in the bag" ASAP, because to be honest, I'm hoping to be back on the bike by then, and frankly, the amount of time I spend riding pretty much precludes my typical approach to the competition type of photography - at least if I want to actually sleep and earn enough to keep a roof over my head.

As for keeping good shots back for the open rounds, well, frankly I have a problem with that - i've said it so many times, but it's true - I never really like any of my images - I think out of 35+ years of shooting, I've maybe 3 frames that I like unconditionally. Everything else, I look at and I see the flaws. So - if I were to keep a shot back, all I'd end up doing is looking at it, picking fault with it, and continually keep re-shooting, and re-shooting it, getting more and more frustrated that I couldn't get it right. So, sod it, I'm going to try and make the "open" rounds something that I shoot within the month, otherwise i'm going to end the year frustrated and hating myself for my lack of ability and talent, like I did in 2009,2010,2011, 2012...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back