Film storage temperature

Name
Craig
Edit My Images
Yes
Our loft room gets very hot in this weather, like 35 degrees plus hot. My unexposed c41 and black and white is stored in that room as that's where our home office is, will the film be alright? Should I keep it elsewhere or does it not matter overly for unexposed film?

Thanks.

Unexposed film is not so fussy - but 35 degrees seems a bit hot. The colour film is more likely to be harmed - but that will be limited to colour cast, I would think. My film is stored in a room that is consistently above 25 degrees and I have experienced no problems.

ziplock bag, tupperware container and stuff it in the fridge or freezer. Just remember to defrost the film the day before and give it plenty of time to get up to room temperature steadily - best to defrost frozen film in the fridge overnight, and give film from the fridge a couple of hours minimum at ambient before shooting - longer if it's particularly humid weather.

I keep mine in the fridge in a ziplock bag. As far as I know heat and humidity can affect the colour dyes in film hence professional film was more expensive due to the temperature controlled process of storing and transporting it.

All my un-opened film is now in a tub in the freezer with the frozen date written on the boxes.

Thanks.

Sorry to bump this thread but wondered if the same applied to B&W film?

Thanks

Sorry to bump this thread but wondered if the same applied to B&W film?

Thanks

yep, though modern emulsions are probably as robust as the "consumer" grade c41 stuff... It's still safer in the long run to keep it at least refrigerated though.

yep, though modern emulsions are probably as robust as the "consumer" grade c41 stuff... It's still safer in the long run to keep it at least refrigerated though.

Thanks, I'll have to find a containing to put my bulk loader in so now one spills stuff on it.

Mine is stored in a spare fridge in the garage, which someone had thought to turn off during our awesome heatwave! The film seems to be fine though.

The predicted next 4 or so months worth of film use is stored in the fridge, balanced on the wine rack (an advantage to shooting 120 format film, as the 5 pack boxes provide a base to stack the loose 35mm boxes on!). Anything I think will take longer to use than that is stored in the freezer in lidded plastic Chinese take-away food containers (well washed out - it's good to recycle!) and sealed plastic bags. (y)

Back