FINISHED: Apple / MacOS Tip a day for a year !

can we have a PC one now?

:p

This is an Apple thread.......... There is only one PC tip required :LOL:

Seriously though I am not doing a PC tips thread because EVERY time I do a PC tip it just turns into an arguement about there being other ways to do it, better ways, pcs being better than macs, macs being better than pcs etc etc etc

Last edited:
This is an Apple thread.......... There is only one PC tip required :LOL:

Seriously though I am not doing a PC tips thread because EVERY time I do a PC tip it just turns into an arguement about there being other ways to do it, better ways, pcs being better than macs, macs being better than pcs etc etc etc

touche.. ;)

no i understand completely, youd certainly be braver than me lol

Can we make this it doesn't get lost in the deepest, darkest depths of the forum - or add it to the tutorials page?

DB

I would appreciate that, there must be several hundred hours work in here !!

That'll be a Sticky then... :shrug:

Sounds sound to me after all your hard work Darren... (y)

So how do the Chiefs think... :cautious: ... oops sorry... :thinking: ... they don't do they... :naughty:

08.gif

Or, ... you could turn this into the first 730 day tip .. and keep it going for another year :p

:exit:

Or, ... you could turn this into the first 730 day tip .. and keep it going for another year :p

:exit:

Ouch! Seriously I was finding it VERY difficult near the end.

I am having a few weeks off thinking about tips and just waiting for people to ask me questions. I am going to try a Project a week for a year next possibly where I put together something like the Windows thing or iPhoto thing in more detail.

I have a lot to learn in photography so maybe a learn with me thing as I teach myself a subject a week with input from other people. I am hoping to get my studio sorted at Christmas so I could start with studio lighting or something like that.

Can we make this it doesn't get lost in the deepest, darkest depths of the forum - or add it to the tutorials page?

DB

This thread has been made a sticky, with huge thanks to Darren for all his efforts in creating it (y)

This thread has been made a sticky, with huge thanks to Darren for all his efforts in creating it (y)

Shucks that's great, I am really happy that the work is not going to be lost. I would like to make it an Apple / MacOS Question and Answer thread now till I decide what to do next.....

So open to the floor...........

Congratulations to Darren for a massive achievement and a great recource for the big mac crowd.:clap:

Sorry Darren, I only meant that as a joke really! I know it is a lot of work to put something like this; and I can't thank you enough for all the support you've given (be it here, or elsewhere) (y).

As for Q & A for Mac, may be that could be a separate thread ... so as not to over populate this one.

I am sure many will always come back to this Holy Grail of tips ... I have a short break coming up soon and I plan to go through each one and see how I can fine-tune my Mac processing, or improve things I already do.

I know I already have a list of questions I'd like to ask, but I hold them back until I've gone through this thread one more time at least.

Again, thank you so much for such an informative year of posts :)

Saturday 14th November
Tip 366 - MacOs - Create a short cut.

I got withdrawal syptoms........

Click on an folder/desktop.

Hold [CMD] and press [L].

Last edited:
Sunday 15th November
Tip 367 - MacOs - Open your home folder in finder.

Hold [CMD] and press [N].

Monday 16th November
Tip 368 - MacOs - Open FILE finder.

Hold [CMD] and press [F].

Marcel/Mods......

I thought I might do a few more!!

Any way an extra post can be added on page 1 straight after the post showing tips 300-365 with a date that is new enough for me to edit it ?????

I am hoping that this is possible.

:banana: (y)

Oh yes, do keep them sweets coming along ...

I got withdrawal syptoms........

You didn't hold out long Darren... :cautious: ... obviously not enough other stuff to keep you busy... :LOL:

Marcel/Mods......
Any way an extra post can be added on page 1 straight after the post showing tips 300-365 with a date that is new enough for me to edit it ?????

So that'll be a 730 we are looking at now... :naughty:

08.gif

Marcel/Mods......

Darren, I'm looking at this for you at the moment. Technically I think it can be done but it's a real faff. Bear with me and I'll try and do it when I have a spare bit of time later.

TIP: Chocolate Hob Nobs are my favorite :nuts: :p

Empty post for Cowasaki to edit, as requested.

Grendel is owed a packet of Chocolate Hob Nobs!!!

Okey dokey, it's done.

You now have a post inserted as post 6 for you to edit :)

Empty post for Cowasaki to edit, as requested.

Grendel is owed a packet of Chocolate Hob Nobs!!!

Unfortunately it is not editable :) Did you have to make the post look over 6 months old? If so you can't edit it :)

Bugger :( I thought that might happen.

Unfortunately, for the post to sit in that position, it has to be timed and dated accordingly. If I insert a post dated (say) today's date it will sit at the end of the thread as all posts appear chronologically.

If you want to pm the info to me I'm quite happy to insert it for you, as and when required. I can't think of any other way round it I'm afraid Darren.

Does that mean I don't get my biscuits now :shake:

Bugger :( I thought that might happen.

Unfortunately, for the post to sit in that position, it has to be timed and dated accordingly. If I insert a post dated (say) today's date it will sit at the end of the thread as all posts appear chronologically.

If you want to pm the info to me I'm quite happy to insert it for you, as and when required. I can't think of any other way round it I'm afraid Darren.

Does that mean I don't get my biscuits now :shake:

Out of date biscuits :LOL:

No problem. Do you know if it is possible to create a link that jumps to a particular point in the thread rather than just a single post? If so we could do a link at that location that jumps to another location otherwise it could be tips thread 2 :)

Thanks for your help though!

I think Tips Thread 2 might be the way to go :)

Christmas 2010? :D

Pah he's still young Rog ;). No excuse for anything other than top quality tips that way :D

Right the tips are now being added with just a tip number and as I have something to add ! Hope they are still useful to people in this manner.

Tip 369 - Backup - Online backup.

We have me.com and several other alternatives for online backup such as SKY TV's online setup but one of the problems that does happen is that most of these do not support a mac. Well our data is more important than PC users so after a bit of research this little nugget is certainly worth looking at (for both PC and MAC).

Mozy Online backup

Unlimited backup for $4.95 or FREE with a 2Gb limit. The software is Mac specific and will backup all those things that I used to use me.com for such as address book, iCal, keychains etc but also specific directories or your entire user directory. As this is unlimited storage you might as well do the full user bit and being a photographer you will certainly get your monies worth :)

Anyway first job is to go to their site

https://mozy.com/?ref=9EZJV6

then create an account plus download the software. Once installed the software is supposed to go into the setup routine but I have to restart it first time. Once run the software will allow you to setup what you want to backup and will start. The backup is a sequential backup and it will backup to their server which could take several days the first time BUT after that it is not as bad.

One option if you have a time machine drive is to backup THAT drive to MOZY as well then you will have access to older files that might have been overwritten.

Mozy is good, but it takes an age to back up all the files and it is prone to falling over, it isn't as "set up and forget" as Time Machine, I checked it the other day and found that it hadn't backed up for over 35 days :puke:

Now as I'm backing up it keeps telling me that a full backup hasn't been completed for over a day, which crashes the on going back up.

I'm gradually moving my DNGs over to my Photoshelter archive, which should speed the mozy backup right up.

Just been reading the last of the thread, am impressed with all the tips.
Going back to the battery count on Macbook Pro's, mine appears to have a count of 40 is that bad?
Battery.jpg

Back