FINISHED: Apple / MacOS Tip a day for a year !

The number of cycles is the number of full charge/discharges that your battery has done. Having a low number just means your battery is reasonably new :)

Another tutorial added for Photoshop

This tutorial is about selecting objects and cutting them out.....

It is here.

If anyone has been looking at these over the past week lots of the pictures had disappeared. It appears that on my new host's web server all the filenames became case sensitive so I have had to go through and edit 2/3rds of them!!

Tip 369 - MacOs - Use preview to find shutter count of camera.

Right click on your image and select "Open With >" and then "Preview"

Hold [CMD] and press

Click on "(I)" at the top of the inspector window

Click on "EXIF" in the sub toolbar

TIP369a.png

NOTE: See post 807, might not work with Canon

Last edited:
Tip 370 - MacOs - Saving disk space by clear deleted images from iPhoto.

When you delete an image in iPhoto it does not disappear from the hard drive and you do not save any space!

To remove the images open iPhoto and locate the "Trash" icon in the left hand pane

Hold down [CTRL] and click the icon and select "Empty Trash"

OR

Hold [SHIFT] + [CMD] and press [DELETE]

Tip 369 - MacOs - Use preview to find shutter count of camera.

That works up to image 9999, then it goes round the clock - at least with non-1-series Canon bodies.

In the EXIF data, it's the Image Number tag. It's the same number that is used for the file name.

My 5D has certainly shot more than 3315 frames since 2006. :)

That works up to image 9999, then it goes round the clock - at least with non-1-series Canon bodies.

In the EXIF data, it's the Image Number tag. It's the same number that is used for the file name.

It works with Nikon bodies other than D1,D1x,D100........

Excellent revival :clap:

Thank you so much :)

Works perfect with all my Nikon bodies. Great to finally see what sort of shutter-count I have on them (y)

Thanks for this, plenty of reading for a newbie to mac's like me :D

Darren,
Love the tips(y). Having been tempted over to the dark side, these tips are GRrrrreatttt for newbies like me. I have tried a few which work superbly.
I have just tried No's 6 which works like a dream, but I'm having trouble with No 4. All that I get from the link is Not Found

The requested URL /mainsite/icons/DriveIcons.html was not found on this server.
any idea's help would be appreciated

Mick

I am fixing it but

for drive vault click HERE

for D200 click HERE

Last edited:
I think i might as well ask you here.

I got a time capsule but it's not set up properly yet, i got time machine running on it to back up my iMac and MacBook pro but i can't use it like a hard drive....? How do I do that?

Thanks

I think i might as well ask you here.

I got a time capsule but it's not set up properly yet, i got time machine running on it to back up my iMac and MacBook pro but i can't use it like a hard drive....? How do I do that?

Thanks

I don't personally use a time capsule but I do use the Apple Airport Extreme which is very similar. Can you access the control panel for the time capsule like you can the Apple Airport? It you can there should be a tab for the hard drive. If this does not work then let me know and I will tell you next day as I am off to Apple on Friday...

Nevermind, i've figured it out, you just can't add a folder in the root folder but need to add it inside the "DATA" folder :)

Excellent. I have a server on my network for nas so don't actually use one so couldn't help straight off.

Tip 372 - MacOs - Accessing a Windows or Linux computer.

This tip is one I've learned today courtesy of Musicman, thanks.

You can access a Windows computer (or I would guess a Linux machine) by first locating it's IP address. So I have a Windows computer downstairs with an IP address that I know (if you do not know it's IP address then there is a tip relating to that) so now click in the address bar of safari....

smb://<IP ADDRESS> or smb://192.168.0.67

Once you do this you will be shown a new window which relates to the attempted access to the new computer then a list of mounts on that computer. Select the share and click OK. Then you will be shown a login window. Type in a user and password relating to that computer and select the share.

Thats it a new share will appear in your shares and you will be taken to the file structure window.

We have lots of ways of attaching to Windows machines but often no matter how hard we try there are problems. This has just worked on a machine that just wouldn't play ball.

NOTE: You can type the name of the computer so

eg. smb://proliant_01

if everything is working correctly.

Last edited:
Just as an aside, you don't need to use Safari, or any other web browser, to do this.

You can do the same from the Finder - just hit command k or Go | Connect to Server in the finder menu bar and enter the smb://<IP ADDRESS> as above.

Tip 373 - MacOs - Accessing an FTP server.

You can gain READ ONLY access to an FTP server by typing into the address bar of safari....

ftp://<IP ADDRESS / NAME>

then typing your user name and password in......

You can also use Ploddles tip above and do [CMD] & [K] from finder.

This is a very easy way of avoiding any need to bother with an FTP client FOR READING.

Last edited:
This is a very easy way of avoiding any need to bother with an FTP client FOR READING.

Yes, The Finder doesn't allow write access to FTP servers (I suspect because the ftp protocol doesn't handle any file locking procedures and you could end up in a terrible mess with two people writing to the same file at the same time, etc.)

TBH, I've always found the Finder a little slow for this particular purpose and tend to either use the Cyberduck graphical FTP client or pop up a Terminal window and do it on the command line.

e2a: there's also an ftp server built into OS X - you'll find it in the Options for File Sharing in Sharing Preferences.

Last edited:
Tip 374 - Mail Unread Menu - See if you have mail when your DOCK is not visible.

Well I've just started hiding my dock so that I can have two instances of Safari open at the same time 800 pixels wide on the laptop or Safari and something else. The biggest problem is that I could not see if I had any mail so after looking around I found this program called "MAIL UNREAD MENU" which sits in the menu bar and shows you how many emails you have and gives a quick link to them.

Mail Unread Menu.png

UPDATED FOR LATEST LION COMPATIBLE VERSION

DOWNLOAD MAIL UNREAD MENU - <LINK>

Saturday 6th December
Tip 23 – MacOS [8] - Turn on RIGHT CLICK.

Click the Apple icon in the top left corner and select system preferences, click on [Keyboard and Mouse] now click on the [Mouse] tab.

By default the right mouse button is set to ‘Primary Button’. Click on this and change it to ‘Secondary Button.

The right click sensor often appears not to work due to a finger being on the left hand button part of the mouse if the right button appears not to work try removing your left finger from the mouse completely.

Cant believe the time and effort this has saved me lol I was having to hold down ctrl and right click!! ty ty ty

Cowaski
This is a brilliant thread, thank you so much for taking the time to do all this. I am a brand new mac user and this is just what I needed, am learning so much Thank You again

ps...all i need now is a paintshop pro programme that works on a mac lol

Hi Cowaski,

I just have a quick question about my regular Macbook. Is it possible to use the computer as a camera. I know that the Quicktime program can make a video and the Account section under preferences can change the user image but is there an actual "CAMERA" function on the computer that would save images in a JPEG format?

Hi Cowaski,

I just have a quick question about my regular Macbook. Is it possible to use the computer as a camera. I know that the Quicktime program can make a video and the Account section under preferences can change the user image but is there an actual "CAMERA" function on the computer that would save images in a JPEG format?

You can use the "Photo Booth" program. Then once you have taken the picture you can drag it from the strip at the bottom to wherever you like and it will be a jpg.

Tip 375 - Safari 5 - Reading List.

There is a new feature in Safari called the reading List. This is displayed when you click on the picture of the glasses on the left hand side of the window near the top. The reading list will open up and you can then add pages by clicking on the [ADD PAGE] button.

This allows you to keep track of a number of pages temporarily.

Quite a useful new feature.

Tip 376 - MacOS X Lion - Full screen mode 1.

In the top right corner of the window is an additional button which is a couple of arrows. Click on this and the window will spread out over the whole screen. To come out of full screen mode move the mouse to the top of the screen and click on the same two arrows which will now be in a blue box.

Tip 377 - MacOS X Lion - Full screen mode 2.

Move to the edge of the screen where your dock normally resides and then once your mouse pointer hits the edge of the screen move the pointer off the screen sharply. The dock will now appear.

Tip 378 - MacOS X Lion - Mission Control ZOOM.

Move your mouse pointer over one of the application windows and press [SPACE]. The window will blow up so you can see it properly.

Tip 379 - MacOS X Lion - Moving items from the Apps folder.

If you try and move items from the Applications folder now you will find that all that happens is that it creates a short cut to the item. You can still move items from the Apps folder by holding down the [CMD] key.

Tip 380 - MacOS X Lion - Restore NORMAL scrolling.

Click APPLE :: System preferences :: Trackpad.

TIP380a.png

The top option is "Scroll direction: natural", un-tick this option to restore the scrolling to the normal manner.

Tip 381 - MacOS X Lion - Hot Corners.

Hot corners is a feature where certain things happen when you move the mouse pointer into the corner of the display. This is how I use this feature, it might be useful to others.

Click APPLE :: System preferences :: Mission Control.

TIP381a.png

Now click on the button [HOT CORNERS] at the bottom left.

TIP381b.png

You can set each corner for different uses, I find these four quite useful at the moment and now work with my dock normally hidden.

Back