flickr renewal

Name
Jeff
Edit My Images
No
had notification a few weeks ago that my flickr PRO acc. was due for renewal , but as its not till next week I left it . had a e.mail yesterday from them offering a 31% discount for the year , just done it for another 12 months and it now shows in u.k pounds so no exchange rates and came to a mouth watering £38-56 for the year ...
excellent value for money in my books . well pleased

Mines due in late Nov.
Thanks for the heads up (y)

BTW I had this via email today ( in part)

Back in 2018 we selected a new payment processing partner.....

.....Changes to card validation and tax regulations now require that we collect more information than we did when you originally subscribed. ...

Hmmm I wonder what they want ..

Well they can wait for a start off!!!

Untitled-1.jpg

had notification a few weeks ago that my flickr PRO acc. was due for renewal , but as its not till next week I left it . had a e.mail yesterday from them offering a 31% discount for the year , just done it for another 12 months and it now shows in u.k pounds so no exchange rates and came to a mouth watering £38-56 for the year ...
excellent value for money in my books . well pleased
That's interesting, I was planning on dumping it this year and just using a free account.

Mines due in late Nov.
Thanks for the heads up (y)

BTW I had this via email today ( in part)

Back in 2018 we selected a new payment processing partner.....

.....Changes to card validation and tax regulations now require that we collect more information than we did when you originally subscribed. ...

Hmmm I wonder what they want ..

They want to sell your information, and they want you to pay them for collecting it from you.

Interestingly just before I renewed my Flickr was playing up with time outs etc , once renewed it was back up to speed ... not saying nothing but ?? ?

Mine was up for renewal in May. Didn't like the price so cancelled. Then they offered me a lower price. So I rejoined.

They want to sell your information, and they want you to pay them for collecting it from you.
That was exactly my thought too.. :(

Just got the same today although mine is in $ for some reason.
Mine usually comes through in $$ too.
I guess they think ££ makes it look cheaper :D

Mine was up for renewal in May. Didn't like the price so cancelled. Then they offered me a lower price. So I rejoined.
I tried this last year, but it didn't work, except that I had to wait a very long time until one of my photos was in the "Explore" again.

If you have an Adobe subscription, you can use the voucher for the 2 months trial for this existing subscription as well and you don't have to pay anything for 2 months at Adobe. Makes flickr also a little bit cheaper.

I've started getting the warning at the top of the page (renewal due November), and fortunately they can't re-use the card like the did last time when I'd expected to have to re-authorise payment and instead it was just taken. I may well hit the cancel sub option & see if they come back with a sensible price.

I've got the same banner and a November renewal and my card isn't just expired but I've been issued a new card number due to fraud.
I'm still vaguely thinking Flickr may try and renew my Pro automatically then chase me for payment so I've stuck a reminder in to change the terms before that date.
I've taken virtually nothing since March and none of the changes Smug Mug have made have made Flickr worth a penny to me, so I'll just drop to free and delete to make room for new images to share on forums when I take them.
I'd really hoped Flickr/Smug mug were going to make big changes but I've not noticed anything of substance.
I appreciated it's still excellent value for money to some, but not to me.

I cancelled mine yesterday, just got an email confirming the cancellation.
It's been useful but it isn't worth the price-hike to me, £20-30 is fine but not double that.

What`s the advantages of having a Pro account over a Free one ? Apart from the no adds .

Just taken a full grab of my account 2442 images in 70 albums, in preparation of going free and losing everything but the last 1000 images.

Used this - which was very simple to use.

Description and tags are saved as name.jpg.json text files. Looks like it hasn't stored the location set in Flickr but a lot are geotagged and the EXIF has been preserved.
Images saved into Album folders - it did appear to download things in multiple albums, multiple times but as I only upload 1920x1080 it's not big deal and it took very little time

Cheerio Pro!

Just taken a full grab of my account 2442 images in 70 albums, in preparation of going free and losing everything but the last 1000 images.

Used this - which was very simple to use.

Description and tags are saved as name.jpg.json text files. Looks like it hasn't stored the location set in Flickr but a lot are geotagged and the EXIF has been preserved.
Images saved into Album folders - it did appear to download things in multiple albums, multiple times but as I only upload 1920x1080 it's not big deal and it took very little time

Cheerio Pro!

Installed that but when I go to authorise it to use flickr I get "The connection for this site is not secure".

Installed that but when I go to authorise it to use flickr I get "The connection for this site is not secure".
You can do it direct from flickr too.

You can do it direct from flickr too.

Thanks Chris, yes I have downloaded a good number but there is a limit to the number you can download at any one time so it's a bit of a pain downloading around 30,000 backup photos as well as the 3,000+ public ones in small chunks. :(

Thanks Chris, yes I have downloaded a good number but there is a limit to the number you can download at any one time so it's a bit of a pain downloading around 30,000 backup photos as well as the 3,000+ public ones in small chunks. :(
No worries Roger, I wasn't sure if you had seen that.
Over 30,000? blimey that makes my 3,000 look puny :D

Flickr's built in mechanism is limited to 500 images at a time. But the option is there.

I got that too - a moment's check on the site came up with this thread...

Edit the location bar: http:// (not https://, remove the 's')
- and press enter.

As it's the localhost i.e. the computer you're on there's no risk. Once the page has loaded the application works.

Flickr's built in mechanism is limited to 500 images at a time. But the option is there.

I got that too - a moment's check on the site came up with this thread...

Edit the location bar: http:// (not https://, remove the 's')
- and press enter.

As it's the localhost i.e. the computer you're on there's no risk. Once the page has loaded the application works.
I'll give that a try :)

and it works (y)

Last edited:
Why not do as I did in the initial post don’t cancel but don’t renew ,about a week before due date they offered the 30% discount .. I really do give up,you tell people how things work and they then come up with there own different versions that just muddy the waters for others

I remember years ago, my mate phoned Sky to say he was leaving.
They persuaded him to stay and he got an amazing deal for 18 months.
My other mate tried and he got the same deal.
I then phone and said that I was leaving and the guy on the other end of the phone said "Ok, sorry to see you go, Bye"
So that was me without Sky :LOL: :LOL:

I remember years ago, my mate phoned Sky to say he was leaving.
They persuaded him to stay and he got an amazing deal for 18 months.
My other mate tried and he got the same deal.
I then phone and said that I was leaving and the guy on the other end of the phone said "Ok, sorry to see you go, Bye"
So that was me without Sky :LOL: :LOL:
we did that one to got a amazing reduction for 18 months ,but then they tried to put it up to well above the going rate so told them to stick it up the arse , now got far better via Netflix ,Disney etc on the smart t.v for far far less than they wanted .. sky is a bunch of rip off merchants

Sky have quotas for retention and churn (old customers leaving vs new customers joining) - if you catch them on a bad day towards the end of the period and they're below target then you get a great deal. If you catch them when they've hit their quotas then they will chuckle to themselves and tell you to whistle.

£38-56 is far too much for what I get from Flickr. I paid for a year to give Smug Mug a chance to make something that appeals and they've done nothing but jack the price.
I appreciate it's great value for some and all power to you.

A couple of weeks ago we sent you a notification about changes to your Flickr Pro subscription. The Flickr community thrives thanks to users like you, so we’re offering a 40% discount on your upcoming renewal if you act now. (£33.53 paid )

Still cheeky bastids though
V
You’ll be charged immediately, but the new subscription term won’t begin until the end of your current subscription on Nov 26, 2020, and you’ll continue to enjoy uninterrupted Flickr Pro benefits.

My most recent email from them - I clicked through and they are offering the annual plan for £4.66 £3.87 a month = £46.44
Still way too rich for the value I see.

1602588055272.png

I'm still reasonably convinced that if I do nothing they will move me onto a paid monthly plan and then come looking for their money.
I might be wrong, who knows?

1602588210594.png

May be I'll change my mind in future but for now I'm out. Pro cancelled as of today

I'm still reasonably convinced that if I do nothing they will move me onto a paid monthly plan and then come looking for their money.
I might be wrong, who knows?
That's the way I read it too.

It’s really a case of knowing when to bite if you intend to carry on, at the end of the day if you take up there offer to stay PRO it works out at 74pence a week , for unlimited storage . Yet most here will think nothing of spending 3 to 4K on a camera body

Last edited:
74pence a week , for unlimited storage . Yet most here will think nothing of spending 3 to 4K on a camera body
I don't think the reduced price is outrageous, but it p***es me off ( and a lot of others I suspect) the way the prices are rising.
And yet they can still afford to almost half the price if you plan on leaving.

Well after being a flickr pro user for over 12 years I just got this:

A couple of weeks ago we sent you a notification about changes to your Flickr Pro subscription. The Flickr community thrives thanks to users like you, so we’re offering a 20% discount on your upcoming renewal if you act now.

I wonder how they come up with the different discount amounts ... anyway, think they can stick their subscription where the sun don't shine and I will use my substantial savings to put towards a new 4k camera body (y)

Last edited:
Back