flickr renewal

It's coming to that time of the year again ... just had a renewal email.

Now what to do .... if I click cancel account and say it's too expensive they offer 25% reduction but Black Friday is not far away.
Oh bugger yes, that year went fast.
I've never had an offer for black friday, well maybe I never looked.
I just let it lapse and wait and see what they offer.

More than about 30 quid and I'll just walk. I've barely used my pro account thi year.
I've had no offers, only threats of photo deletions and a 1000 pic limit imposed. I only used Flickr for hosting to post on forums so I've stopped using it.

I've had no offers, only threats of photo deletions and a 1000 pic limit imposed. I only used Flickr for hosting to post on forums so I've stopped using it.

I'm on one of their 'alpha' panels, and it's very plain that they really don't get that many aren't interested in extra stats on their pictures or special pro forums, and would rather pay about £35 for hosting up to around 10,000 images rather than truly unlimited storage. There's no 'value' they can possibly add to their basic image-hosting product that would make most hobbyists want to spend more.

I'm on one of their 'alpha' panels, and it's very plain that they really don't get that many aren't interested in extra stats on their pictures or special pro forums, and would rather pay about £35 for hosting up to around 10,000 images rather than truly unlimited storage. There's no 'value' they can possibly add to their basic image-hosting product that would make most hobbyists want to spend more.
the forums I use all have their own photo attachment feature. I used Flickr for one as it showed the full image rather than a thumbnail, but a forum upgrade stopped that so there was no advantage to using Flickr. If I want to share individual pics with most non-photographers I'm sorry to say that Farcebook is the easiest way, occasionally Dropbox.

I've never used Flickr to look at other people's pics, other than those of a handful of people I know in the real world. Most of them have drifted off it now so I have no real use for Flickr these days.

I just cancelled mine, my renewal this year ( end of Nov. ) was 50 quid,
I cancelled it, and it immediately dropped to 45 quid.

I paid £39 for this current years.
I hardly used it at all this year, I'll wait and see what the offer is in a months time,
most likely I'll just set up another free one though.

Just went in to mine it said £60 - after saying cancel they gave me a price of £33 fo the year which I took.
I'm sure they make these prices up as they go along :(

Maybe the discounted price depends on how long is left on the account before renewal is due. Mine was/is due in about 2 weeks time.

FWIW I cancelled 2 years ago. I get the deletion pop-up every time I go there but they've deleted nothing.
Its slightly irritating as I'd welcome them doing the first cull, then I could go in and clear enough space to post a few things now and then.
As others said I mainly used it for sharing to forums.
The pandemic decimated my picture taking and since then I've no time to process and play with what I have taken so it's no great loss to me.

I still appreciate Pro is a great deal for some people, just not me!

I'd welcome them doing the first cull
You can select "You" -> "Organize", select as many as you want, even all of them, drag them into the workspace and then select "Edit" -> "Delete".

Last edited:
Interesting to see this come up as a thread; perhaps it was fate that brought me back to the TP forums!!!

I was thinking about renewing my Flickr pro but constantly question how active the site still is, and what the benefits are. In days gone by some of my images have been picked up from there and used in publications, so was also speculating about whether it still serves as a market place?

Interesting to read these latest comments that there does not seem to be much value in having a pro account.

Can anyone give a strong reason why a pro account is worth having?

Cheers

Can anyone give a strong reason why a pro account is worth having?
1stly the unlimited storage facility.

2 ndly, being able to "share" images across various groups,
and of course hoping for an "explored"

None of that really really interested me, but a lot of people seem to want to get noticed.
I just use it for hosting purposes, for here and other sites.

And like you, I too have had images taken from flikr, despite the fact that pixsy claim
they can get me compensation, they never have done.

I keep mine, mainly because I've always used it and I've got over 11,000 photos up there covering the past 15 years. My entire digital photography journey is on there and I guess I'm loathe to lose all that. Whether that's worth the cost, probably not but I can't bring myself to hit the cancel button for some reason. There's nowhere else I could host all of those images and make them publically available. The site does seem quite active, stuff I post gets a decent number of views and I have got some opportunities from people seeing my work on there.

I don't see the point of flickr, and even less point in paying for it.

However, every one is up to the same tricks, car insurance, $ky as mentioned (we got rid of $ky repeats 15 years ago, boiler insurance, and the latest one was Virgin broadband. Sent me a renewal notice for £48, so I rang the "thinking of leaving you" line, and asked what they could do. Nothing, long story about how much better than BT they are, and how their costs have gone up etc etc. I said, never mind just let it go onto the non-contract monthly charge until I have had a new connection installed. They asked who, and I told them City Fibre had installed cables, and I had a connection at the front fence waiting, and they were £25 a month. Before I could think further, I had it with Virgin for £25 a month :) Today I got a letter saying they were upping our speed to 125 MB at no charge :)

I keep mine, mainly because I've always used it and I've got over 11,000 photos up there covering the past 15 years. My entire digital photography journey is on there and I guess I'm loathe to lose all that. Whether that's worth the cost, probably not but I can't bring myself to hit the cancel button for some reason. There's nowhere else I could host all of those images and make them publically available.
This for me too really.
I did have another free account with around 30,000 photos on but started a new free account when they brought in the 1,000 photos limit. However I decided to pay for the 2nd account as the numbers were building up and just recently downloaded all the photos from the 1st account and deleted it.

I have a Smugmug website, they own Flickr, and today I had my renewal for the website, up by 30% on my 2021 renewal. I contacted Smugmug and they basically weren't bothered, simply told me how to back up all my photos before I closed it down.

I cancelled Flickr pro last month, and just spent an hour or so downloading most images( about 2.5k) leaving a few from the last couple of years.
I expected that as it ran out at the end of Nov. I would have had an offer to renew pro, at about half the costs as per previous years,
but not this time, £5 / month was the offer hence the down loads before they reduce my images do it.

I have a free one, the Pro one will go free, and most of my images will get deleted no doubt,
I'll just set up another free one when I can be bothered

most of my images will get deleted no doubt,
Doubt it TBH, mine were all left intact for over 2 years and it was only me that deleted them all by closing the account.

the latest one was Virgin broadband. Sent me a renewal notice for £48, so I rang the "thinking of leaving you" line, and asked what they could do. Nothing, long story about how much better than BT they are, and how their costs have gone up etc etc. I said, never mind just let it go onto the non-contract monthly charge until I have had a new connection installed. They asked who, and I told them City Fibre had installed cables, and I had a connection at the front fence waiting, and they were £25 a month. Before I could think further, I had it with Virgin for £25 a month :) Today I got a letter saying they were upping our speed to 125 MB at no charge :)
Im with Virgin as they’re the only fast broadband provider we can get in our street. Other providers go to the next street along but only Virgin came down our street. That means it’s either Virgin or return to 2MB/s download 0.9MB/s upload which we can’t as we both work from home some of the time. We got the same letter from Virgin with the speed upgrade. Upping the download speed to 130MB/s is nice but doesn’t really make much difference in reality. Doubling the upload speed from 10MB/s to 20MB/s was much more appreciated.

I cancelled Flickr pro last month,
Mine finished again last month too. Had the 20%/30% black Friday offer but it's not enough to be worth it. I don't think they want to get people on board with pro unless they can make a high value sale now, and the site is likely to become more advert orientated. It will be surprising if they are still in business in 5 years because they can't find a sweet spot for both commercial and customer needs.

I’ve not been a pro member for several years now. It’s not that I wouldn’t pay but I don’t think Flickr offers me anything worth paying for at present. Flickr was great when I started photography but they’ve not moved we the times which has lead to a dwindling audience/following. I’m still looking for a photo sharing method that built especially for photo sharing, reaches both photographers and non photographers. That’s the holy grail.

Doubt it TBH, mine were all left intact for over 2 years and it was only me that deleted them all by closing the account.
That's curious. I'm not deleting anything, but my pro account is now the freebies one. And I've been told that my older images will be deleted, to 1000. I'll watch and see.

I don't think they want to get people on board with pro unless they can make a high value sale now, and the site is likely to become more advert orientated.
I'm sure you are right.

It will be surprising if they are still in business in 5 years because they can't find a sweet spot for both commercial and customer needs.
I was thinking the same earlier, but within a shorter timescale.

There not deleting the images ,but if your over 1000 you can’t add any unless your PRO ,I just pay monthly now it’s more expensive but saves paying out a lump sum

There not deleting the images ,but if your over 1000 you can’t add any unless your PRO ,
Thanks, Jeff, I'll leave that one as is then, plenty of space on my free one, when that gets filled, I'll start another.

Mine finished a few days ago but I got the download links before the end ... was downloading the zip files before the subscription ended and the speed was fine but haven't used the computer since. Went back to finish the downloads and it looks like they have severely restricted the speed so no way I can finish the downloads in the time they give before you have to ask again (which you can't if you aren't a pro member any longer)

Mine finished a few days ago but I got the download links before the end ... was downloading the zip files before the subscription ended and the speed was fine but haven't used the computer since. Went back to finish the downloads and it looks like they have severely restricted the speed so no way I can finish the downloads in the time they give before you have to ask again (which you can't if you aren't a pro member any longer)
I didn't see a restriction on download time, but there is a restriction on downloading the zip file ( 10 days) when they send you a message.

However, I'm sure you can clear the downloads, (that doesn't delete your images) and do it again.

Been watching this thread with interest. I primarily use Flickr as an offline archive/backup for my photos, and also a way to share specific sets with friends/family. My renewal is at end December, and was going to be £59.99 this year (which is still only just over £1 a week, so pretty decent value IMHO). However, I went down the cancel route out of interest, clicked "Too expensive and immediately got an offer for a reduction which I snapped up. Confirmation message was "Your plan will automatically change to a Annual Plan on December 22, 2022 and you’ll be charged £32.99, including £5.50 in tax.".
Got to be worth it?

However, I went down the cancel route out of interest, clicked "Too expensive and immediately got an offer for a reduction which I snapped up. Confirmation message was "Your plan will automatically change to a Annual Plan on December 22, 2022 and you’ll be charged £32.99, including £5.50 in tax.".
I did exactly the same, and have done for previous years, and had the £33-odd option.
This year I just got the "1000 limit on free accounts" message.

Got to be worth it?
Only you can answer that. :)
I don't mind the adverts on the free ones, I just blank them, I don't "see" them.
I'm not into, and never have been, the stats and all the other stuff that some people find essential.

I did exactly the same, and have done for previous years, and had the £33-odd option.
This year I just got the "1000 limit on free accounts" message.

Only you can answer that. :)
I don't mind the adverts on the free ones, I just blank them, I don't "see" them.
I'm not into, and never have been, the stats and all the other stuff that some people find essential.
The archive and sharing option is worth it for me. I've got over 11k photos there now (I do also have them backed up on a cloud backup service and locally on x2 external drives (paranoia and all that)!

Stats are vaguely interesting just because I'm curious, although have virtually no followers. Sometimes wonder why I go from a handful of views a day to a couple of thousand.
And of course I use to for the 52 Challenge..... ;)

The archive and sharing option is worth it for me. I've got over 11k photos there now (I do also have them backed up on a cloud backup service and locally on x2 external drives (paranoia and all that)!
I've only got circa 3000 in there, and they are all still sharable. According to a couple of other posters, they don't delete the images.
But of course that remains to be seen, as to how long it will take them to get around to ALL of the people that didn't / haven't paid over the years.

And of course I use to for the 52 Challenge..... ;)
FYI There is always a flickr group associated with that. (closed at the moment)

Back