Flickr?

I find it really slow to load now :( Driving me nuts at the moment

I though it was my connection, but it was also slow on the work Pc...

Seems like they are getting bombarded with complaints again hence the slowdown

Having problems with it not responding & crashing

My post #1 on the Help forum...

"I'm sorry but the new look is awful, what were you thinking? Were you thinking that Flickr ought to look like 500px? Were you thinking that the original look didn't work for you? Were you selfishly thinking that it could look different and that people would be pleased by it? Did you even consider asking users prior to the change what they think?

I'm sorry, this isn't a user who is having difficulty navigating new paths, I often enjoy it. To be blunt, aesthetically it just looks naff and the classic view was superior in its aesthetic and the UI far better. I'm actually pretty disgusted that such a radical change was even considered..

I for one (an avid Flickr user) cannot remember a referendum on such a drastic alteration and if I had I would have given an emphatic NO!. What is the point in looking like 500px, I may as well just use 500px. Why fix something that wasn't broken? I simply don't get it or understand it. If there was an option to opt back to the classic view then I'd find it acceptable (is there one?) but as it stands I think you've completely lost the plot.

I no longer see my contacts recent images as small thumbnails on my home page, instead I now have to navigate away to even just view Contacts images which kind of defeats the object of commenting now as you seem to think I have the time to faff around with several pages to have what I had before.

The whole look is a disaster, is this what you've spent our hard earned subscriptions on? Outrageous."

My post #2 on the same forum...

"To add to my previous post.

I have a lot to thank Flickr for since I joined in 2008. I saw it as a place of learning, both visually and verbally. I saw it as a source of inspiration which kept my loyalty and not to become too embroiled in other sharing sites (Google+, 500px, ePhotozine etc. etc.). I saw it as a place for social networking for like minded individuals, to swap ideas and give one another the enthusiasm which is so needed to the more discerning photographer. Thank you Flickr for the past 5 years, you have been a great help.

This drastic change has ruined all that, wiped it out, taken it away. You (Yahoo) and the senior management team therein have totally balls this one up I'm afraid. What possessed you at your brainstorming session for you to come up with this debacle?

I have decided I will not be renewing my Pro account, and it's a sad decision to come to and not one I made likely.

So long and thanks for everything you've given.

Regards"

The blurb given on my recent notification in my photostream...

"I would like to apologize for my absence of late, I have not been paying much attention to Flickr, photography or even the PC in general. After spending 4 days in hospital at the beginning of May with an undiagnosed condition and subsequent convalescence things have decided to take a bit of a back seat.

The recent change on this site is a complete debacle and nothing short of a total disaster. As such I will no longer be using Flickr, which is sad, I have so much to thank Flickr for and have made some great contacts and met some great people because of it. I will not be deleting my account here, I will just no longer be uploading my images here.

Like many others in the Help forum (<a href="http://www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157633547442506/page226/">www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157633547442506/page226/</a>) who have voiced a massive outpouring of dissent and dissatisfaction have chosen to migrate to ipernity (<a href="http://www.ipernity.com/doc/299401/@/page:1:18?view=1" rel="nofollow">www.ipernity.com/doc/299401/@/page:1:18?view=1</a>). The layout here is similar to the old Flickr layout.

If you have an ipernity account or would like to migrate also please do let me know and maybe we can retie our contact there. If not, I would like to thank you all so very much for your kind words and support over the last several years. It has meant so much to me. I will continue to use 500px in much the same way as I have before.

Thank you.

Scott."

The only thing I've heard Fickr staff/Yahoo Management team say is the usual corporate arrogance that I find totally offensive.

Moved to Ipernity.

Something that will probably affect this that enjoy a free Pro account courtesy of their btinternet email address. BT have announced that they are splitting from Yahoo. I guess this means the future loss of our free Flickr Pro account.

After being locked out of flickr for a few days I then became an ex member as my account was closed for some reason. I emailed them to see what was going on but didn't get a reply. The next step was just sign up again as my details were still stored, I had to pick a new alias as my old one was taken!

Anyway I lost all my contacts and views for my old account so it's start from scratch again :

http://www.flickr.com/photos/barso2013/

Flickr really is turning more and more into a money making scam!

Forgive me for saying but it's a business, it exists to make money for its shareholders.

500px and others had stolen a lot of its pro userbase, Instagram, g+ and to a point facebook had stolen it's crown as an image based social networking system.

Stagnate and die as they say and Flickr had not evolved in years, something was bound to happen. My concern was it would go the same way as 500px and evolve into a popularity contest dominated by ott PP. I think Flickr were quite savvy in keeping the business model the same but different.

I quite like the new look as well.

Last edited:
Flickr really is turning more and more into a money making scam!

One a the oddest things I've read in a long time, care to back up such a statement with any grounding or substance :LOL:

After checking your flickr, I believe we happened to shoot the same guy on the same day. Wow, that guy really sat there for long time!

Yeah that guy outside the town hall.

Maybe he just sits there alot. Small world!

Having problems with adding comments ATM, just won't allow me to post them ... everything else seems to work :thinking:

I'm getting spammed with links to sex lines now on Flickr, yay ...

Mine's in my sig, but I thought I'd post a direct link anyway:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/eyedea_/

I've been doing photography for about 6 months, completely hooked and just emptied my bank account with a 70-200 f2.8 VRII purchase. Got to wait until Wednesday for it to turn up though! :(

Interested in anything and everything and trying my hand at as many different varieties of photography as I can.

Back