Focus on Spending!

Pop up white/black background, some acrylic frames and an umbrella bracket.

Came very close to getting a B-Grade 5dMkII for £1400 but wimped out. Also quite fancied the G11 for £349.

Good freebie tip - go to the Adobe stand, say you're a good customer can I have a freebie.....I have a nice laptop case :)

I'm annoyed, missed last year due to illness.

Missed this year due to back injury from car accident 9 days ago:(

My feet are killing me this morning... The staff on the Jacobs stands looked well and truly knackered by mid-afternoon! :)

I picked up a shiny new 580EXII for £249, a couple of free books from the SWPP stand (membership gift that I thought I'd better get before I leave 'em). I picked up a copy of Portrait Professional 9 for £40, a Sandisk Ultra 8GB CF card for £28, some 2700mAh rechargeables from Ansmann for a tenner and signed up to the Royal Photographic Society 'cos it was cheaper than doing it online. I also grabbed an 'O' flash ring light thingy... It was a bit of a gamble but I had a play with it last night and it's not too bad.

I was tempted by the 1DMKIII on the Jacobs stand for £1500 but I couldn't stretch to that without getting murdered. :D

Also got loads and loads of info on wedding albums and associated bits... I've got plenty of reading to do this week! :)

Si

Pop up white/black background, some acrylic frames and an umbrella bracket.

Came very close to getting a B-Grade 5dMkII for £1400 but wimped out. Also quite fancied the G11 for £349.

Good freebie tip - go to the Adobe stand, say you're a good customer can I have a freebie.....I have a nice laptop case :)

So what's a B grade one then? Ex-demo or something?

Managed to keep control of myself this year and not break the bank! I bought an umbrella kit (1 shoot-thru, 1 reflective, adapter+cold-shoe) for £25, light stand for £20, Lee Inspiring Professionals book for £10 and an Interfit 5in1 reflector for £26. Didn't really want to pay that much for the reflector but I thought "While I'm here..." :D

Had a chat with Jeremy Walker on the Lee stand who gave us some great advice on ND filters and specifically casting and how it can be better than what's truly "neutral". Nearly had an asthma attack when it sunk in who I'd been chatting away to casually! :love:

Missed this year due to back injury from car accident 9 days ago:(

Ouch, hope it doesn't hurt too much. Also hope its their fault, that is what paid for my first digital SLR ;)

So what's a B grade one then? Ex-demo or something?

I got a B Grade 40D from Jacobs last year at Focus, the box was marked/Damaged, but was still sealed and when opened at home the camera was spotless and 100% new :D

Hopefully I'm wandering up tomorrow. Did people take their cameras or just bags to put purchases in? :D

Come on, I need to know, who is offering the Canon 50d and 17-55 f/2.8 IS for £729

Might be making a trip to the NEC!!

Hopefully I'm wandering up tomorrow. Did people take their cameras or just bags to put purchases in? :D

Always take a camera and couple of lenses. Great to take the opportunity to take pictures of the models. After all I do not get chances like that every day!

Regards

Chris

Just got back from what has proven to be a very expensive trip out, I knew I should have left my wallet at home. Luckily I decided it was time to go home as I was eyeing up the 200mm f2 though, else it would have been a lot worse.

I hardly spent anything yesterday. £7 on a clamp flash bracket (I wish I'd have bought 2 of these really), £9 on a cokin filter holder and 77mm adapter and £40 on a 12 month subscription to a new web host. £56 all in but I saved myself over £100 because I've now cancelled my more expensive web host.

If I hadn't just bought a mint 70-200mm f2.8 VR last week then I'd have been very tempted by the MkII version which I had a play with on a D3s which is also a phenominal piece of kit.

Next year I'm going to rob a bank on the Saturday and spend it all on the Sunday.

Managed to keep control of myself this year and not break the bank! I bought an umbrella kit (1 shoot-thru, 1 reflective, adapter+cold-shoe) for £25, light stand for £20, Lee Inspiring Professionals book for £10 and an Interfit 5in1 reflector for £26. Didn't really want to pay that much for the reflector but I thought "While I'm here..." :D

Had a chat with Jeremy Walker on the Lee stand who gave us some great advice on ND filters and specifically casting and how it can be better than what's truly "neutral". Nearly had an asthma attack when it sunk in who I'd been chatting away to casually! :love:

was these purchases from different stores or from one place?
looking ot kinda get the same things.

where did you get that from? i paid £299 for my one and thought i shopped round the whole place.:crying:

Hehe... One of the advantages of not having to queue with everyone else and getting there early (trade passes and pre-registration certainly saves a lot of hassle)! ;)

Jacobs were given a load of kit from Canon to sell off on their behalf apparently which is why there was a lot of 'B' grade stuff there. There were four brand new 580EXII's for sale that had damaged boxes. They were all sealed with full manfacturer's warranties on them and they were selling them for £249. Within 20 minutes, all four were gone! :)

I wasn't actually going to get a 580EXII but for that price, it seemed daft not to!

Next year, I plan on going back there with a couple of grand if I can afford it.

Si

Hehe... One of the advantages of not having to queue with everyone else and getting there early (trade passes and pre-registration certainly saves a lot of hassle)! ;)

Jacobs were given a load of kit from Canon to sell off on their behalf apparently which is why there was a lot of 'B' grade stuff there. There were four brand new 580EXII's for sale that had damaged boxes. They were all sealed with full manfacturer's warranties on them and they were selling them for £249. Within 20 minutes, all four were gone! :)

I wasn't actually going to get a 580EXII but for that price, it seemed daft not to!

Next year, I plan on going back there with a couple of grand if I can afford it.

Si

well atleast it wasnt because they gave you a discount, i spent £700 and they wouldnt do a deal. but i think i got a good price so not all bad.

I think focus needs a warning about how much you WILL spend, in 2 days i have now spent close to £1000 and im only a student!! it didnt even stop when i got home.

just ordered £40 of batteries for the flash guns.

Well, just got back, and didnt spend a penny.
I have to admit to being a little disapointed with this years show.
Was Hasselblad not there, or did i just completely miss their stand:shrug:
As usual, the push in and block everyone elses view brigade were there, thats a real pet hate of mine!
Was quite impressed with the Lastolite Highlite b/g though.
Other than that there wasnt really anything i really felt i had to have.
Dean:)

Spent nothing. Too many people clamouring for too few deals and TBH, it was hard to get to the counters on most stalls there were that many people.

Mind you, that deal for a 50D + 17-85mm for about £750 was too good to miss for some I bet and there were some great deals on bags and pocket wizards. Impressed by the talks on the Adobe stand but a bit disappointed by the lack of used equipment; for that matter, thought there would be more dealers instead of just jacobs, cameraworld and 1st cameras. Still, there were plenty of people with smiles after picking up good deals, which is good. :)

Wanted to test out some Nikon lenses but getting anywhere near the Nikon stand was impossible today - can't imagine what it was like over the weekend!!!!

im writing a small list aswell for wednesday hoping to get some decent bargains. what was the sony stand like? was it the same last year with them massive banners?

I headed over there and because it's at the back it wasn't too busy; great stuff on show and very interesting to see just how vast the Sony line-up is. Jacobs had a massive selection of Sony stuff on sale with loads of show deal stickers attached.

anyone selling dakine backpacks?

i hope to go tommorow if so i will take a sandwhich the prices are a swindle.

with luck i will try every nikon lens i cant afford and play with a d3s.

;-)

4415006824_ccd46d7f7b.jpg

my first shot with my new camera:)

me think it overexposes but have to double check it :)

Welcome to Nikon... you'll get used to the overexposure :)

Wanted to test out some Nikon lenses but getting anywhere near the Nikon stand was impossible today - can't imagine what it was like over the weekend!!!!

Strangely enough, Yv and I popped onto the Nikon stand yesterday and it wasn't that busy. She was able to wander straight up and have a play with a D3x and 70-200. We even got given biscuits. :D

I think that many people are avoiding the Sunday now that it's probably the best day to go now. :LOL:

Come on, I need to know, who is offering the Canon 50d and 17-55 f/2.8 IS for £729

Might be making a trip to the NEC!!

Jacobs
I think i got the only one of those in B Stock but the Jacobs stand had some other great B Stock bargains!

I did get a B grade bargain!

50D + 17-85 kit for £729 - Pleased as punch.

Did a shutter count, only had 76 clicks ;)

Spent the best part of £200 on Fotospeed paper :eek: , and extortionate amout on a foot long sub and bag of crisps :LOL:.
Was ever so sorely tempted with a 70-200 vr ii after playing with one on the Nikon stand, D3s was tempting as well..... oh so much to buy and so little to buy it with..

Well I hope it's not too crowded tomorrow, as long as I can get to the main lighting suppliers I'll be happy. I really want to make a decision on what I'm going to get as my portable lighting set up. There's only so much you can do on the internet, I need to get up close and personal with some toys. :)

Did anyone notice a decent coffee place, I'm going to need it after 2 and half hours on the train :shake:

If your lucky you will get a nikon bag to carry around, You have to look hard for them though as not many about ! :LOL: ;)

I spent, £8 parking, £4 Subway. Thats it, Very very tempted by 70-200 VRII though, Gutted I didnt now.

Funny on way there though, Surprised how many drivers dont know what "average speed check" cameras do. Slowing down for them and speeding up once past. hahahahahahaaaa

Went along to Foucs today, had a great time and I have just about recovered from a spending spree which saw me get everything I went for apart from the filters !!!!

List of items as follows -

1. Lee 77mm w/a adaptor
2. Lee 105mm Circ Pol
3. Lee Circ Pol ring
4. Lee foundation kit
5. Lee 10 filter multi pouch
6. Lee cleaning cloths x2

Was going to buy the soft ND grads as well but they had sold out (only had 3 sets with the yesterday and they all sold yesterday!)

Made some really good savings at the show on all the above products which was great and worth going for alone!

They had the grad sets at £133 instead of £148 ish everywhere else which i thought was a good price considering the general stock shortage. That price was for both hard and soft sets.

So im now on the lookout for a set of soft nd grads from a place that has stock haha!

i was going to go tomorrow with the C/C.

does anyone know how much the D700 are going for, will i be kicking myself for not going

oh dear.....

D700
70-200 2.8 VRII
Giottos tripod and ball head

One massively filled credit card and a large headache, im going to lie down:bonk:

what version is it and would you recommend it, i was going to get a new tripod at focus and first looked at the calumets but would like to hear about the giottos ones.

40 quid saving is not really worth it, if i went ill get the Elichrom quadra and the extra generator pak. but doubt ill be going....

Back