Formula 1 (and other categories) 2019

If he had the fastest car in the track then how did ham close down a 5 second gap when he pitted and how did leclarc almost finish 2nd...
The same way that he has won the other races this year. The merc is faster on bends though quite a bit slower on straights. And of course his innate ability to get the best out of his car. ( which is why he is doing better than Bottas)

The same way that he has won the other races this year. The merc is faster on bends though quite a bit slower on straights. And of course his innate ability to get the best out of his car. ( which is why he is doing better than Bottas)
Surely then it's the driver that's faster on the bends rather than the car?

You may find the Merc is designed for more down force than the Ferrari
Hence its faster round the bends but slower than Ferrari on the straights
Although I do rate Lewis over Seb over the season

"They're stealing the race from us", nope, Seb was pressured into an error and they applied the rule as Seb went from the returning to the track on the left, going straight across to the right and pushing Lewis off the track.
No amount of crying "where else could I go" is going to change that. There was an alternative solution though, Seb could have lifted off to avoid an accident instead of making Lewis back off while at the side of him.

Whats come out from the stewards after reviewing slow mo and images not open to the public ts
a) once Seb had sorted out the over steer coming off the grass and was going left he opened the steering (this was the bit of the unsafe re entry) which moved him right causing Lewis to brake
in fact if you watch the over head you can see a jink to the right
b) It was noted he checked his mirrors on re entry and knew Lewis was there
Everybody has been screaming for consistency in stewards decisions, which means sticking to the rules no discretion, the minimum penalty is 5 secs
As they say you should be careful for what you wish for

Yep. I watched the analysis earlier. It's clear from the footage from Lewis's car that at the point Seb turned across the track he was not correcting an oversteer as all the pundits and he kept insisting. The back end was not stepping out at that point.

The penalty was fair and some may argue lenient.

Surely then it's the driver that's faster on the bends rather than the car?
As @fuzzyedges said it is down to the car design.
Ferrari got the design choice wrong as straight line speed is only an advantage on two of this years tracks. Merc designed for all the other tracks with a preponderance of bends. Last year Merc did not need to make much of a bias as they were plain faster on all tracks. But even this year merc are not far behind on any track. Hamilton had slightly younger tyres than Vettel and was able to close up push him into the mistake.
Results are always a mixture of design performance, driving skills and tactics, and also some luck on the day... good or bad. But a team largely makes its own luck.

Ferrari have always believed in the Clarkson mantra - "MORE POWER!" but it's only part of the equation.

Shades of Senna/Prost and Schumacher/Hill from Vettel.

Ferrari have given up on an appeal over seb / Lewis incident and are now going for a right to review instead
Good luck with that
Merc have issued telemetry showing Lewis had to brake rather than just backing off

2019 FORMULA 1 PIRELLI GRAND PRIX DE FRANCE

PDT7pmS.png

Circuit Paul Ricard

Lap data
Sorry can't find this info at my usual source this week

UK Times
Friday 21st June 2019
French Grand Prix Free Practice 1: 11:00-12:30 (UK time: 10:00-11:30)
French Grand Prix Free Practice 2: 15:00-16:30 (UK time: 14:00-15:30)
Saturday 22nd June 2019
French Grand Prix Free Practice 3: 12:00-13:00 (UK time: 11:00-12:00)
French Grand Prix Qualifying: 15:00 (UK time: 14:00)
Sunday 23rd June 2019
French Grand Prix: 15:10 (UK time: 14:10)

Previous Winners
2018 United Kingdom Lewis Hamilton Mercedes Paul Ricard
2017–2009 Not held
2008 Brazil Felipe Massa Ferrari Magny-Cours
2007 Finland Kimi Räikkönen Ferrari
2006 Germany Michael Schumacher Ferrari
2005 Spain Fernando Alonso Renault
2004 Germany Michael Schumacher Ferrari
2003 Germany Ralf Schumacher Williams-BMW
2002 Germany Michael Schumacher Ferrari
2001 Germany Michael Schumacher Ferrari
2000 United Kingdom David Coulthard McLaren-Mercedes

Videos

Hamilton 2018 on board
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8D_uhuf3UkI

Jackie Stewart 1973 on board
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MTeFDwvUCQ

Drivers’ Chosen Tyres
cRYktgY.jpg

Championship Standings
EQpoONV.png

u71VAOk.png

FIA reject Ferrari penalty review
Now there is a surprise
Ferrari international assistance dosnt seem to be working now Bernies gone

Not a surprise at all really.
They were required to produce new evidence that was not available at the time of competition.
Karun's sky pad analysis was one of the two bits of new evidence, the other being a face cam of Vet to show where he was looking.
One was an opinion piece, the other had info that was available at the time from other cameras!
Glad it's been thrown out, not just because I'm a Lewis fan but it would have run on and on as Ferarri wanted the win back and Merc would fight that as they could very easily say they held position within five seconds as they knew the penalty was in place.

I do not think the appeal had a chance. If Vettal returned to the track in a safe manner he must have been guilty of crowding Hamilton off the track (penalty) or he did not re-join the track in a safe manner as he did not have control of where the car was going (penalty).:oops: :$

Someone else will have to do the race topic for the next one. Unfortuntaley I've got a serious family illness to deal with at the moment.

paddy lowe officially leaves Williams after gardening duties

Today's race could one of a few ways, a boring procession after the first couple of corners or maybe a bit of a classic if Ferarri have made the wrong tyre choice.

Seb should be able to make progress but Lewis may struggle unless he can get past Max then go significantly longer on the first stop.

Fair penalty I thought for Lewis blocking in q1, Kimi got through but he was impeded.

I wonder if Danny ric is looking to switch back to red bull after his gap year, Honda have proved they can win, compared to Renault being outdone by mclaren

2019 FORMULA 1 ROLEX BRITISH GRAND PRIX

Xx7JiZ0.png

Silverstone Circuit

Lap data
Lap length 5.891km (3.66 miles)
Race laps 52
Race distance 306.332km (190.346 miles)
Pole position Left-hand side of the track
Lap record* 1’30.874 (Fernando Alonso, 2010)
Fastest lap 1’29.243 (Lewis Hamilton, 2016, qualifying two)
Maximum speed 329.5kph (204.742 mph)
DRS zone/s (race) Pit straight and Hangar straight
Distance from grid to turn one 296m
Full throttle 70%
Longest flat-out section 1034m
Downforce level High
Gear changes per lap 40
Fuel use per lap 2.8kg
Time penalty per lap of fuel 0.112s

UK Times
Friday 12th July 2019
British Grand Prix Free Practice 1: 10:00-11:30 (UK time: 10:00-11:30)
British Grand Prix Free Practice 2: 14:00-15:30 (UK time: 14:00-15:30)
Saturday 13th July 2019
British Grand Prix Free Practice 3: 11:00-12:00 (UK time: 11:00-12:00)
British Grand Prix Qualifying: 14:00 (UK time: 14:00)
Sunday 14th July 2019
British Grand Prix: 14:10 (UK time: 14:10)

Previous Winners
2018 Germany Sebastian Vettel Ferrari Silverstone
2017 United Kingdom Lewis Hamilton Mercedes
2016 United Kingdom Lewis Hamilton Mercedes
2015 United Kingdom Lewis Hamilton Mercedes
2014 United Kingdom Lewis Hamilton Mercedes
2013 Germany Nico Rosberg Mercedes
2012 Australia Mark Webber Red Bull-Renault
2011 Spain Fernando Alonso Ferrari
2010 Australia Mark Webber Red Bull-Renault
2009 Germany Sebastian Vettel Red Bull-Renault
2008 United Kingdom Lewis Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes
2007 Finland Kimi Räikkönen Ferrari
2006 Spain Fernando Alonso Renault
2005 Colombia Juan Pablo Montoya McLaren-Mercedes
2003 Brazil Rubens Barrichello Ferrari
2001 Finland Mika Häkkinen McLaren-Mercedes
2000 United Kingdom David Coulthard McLaren-Mercedes

Videos

Mark Webber 2013 on board
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8JjiGm64WQ

Jean Alesi 1995 on board
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ESAYRZ5DMc

Drivers’ Chosen Tyres
D-eytCGW4Asf75u.jpg

Championship Standings
K4tWD4z.png

M2qpk7O.png

Lando and Carlos are staying at mclaren next year too, a good confidence boost, bet vandoorne isn’t impressed ha

Awful bit of driving by Vettel again, I think Leclerc has got in his head now. If I were Ferrari I'd be getting rid of him and looking at another one of the younger drivers, or Danny Ric.

Cracking race today, if Charles and Max can provide that for the next 10 plus years F1 will be just fine.
Hard but fair.

Seb, at least he didn't try to blame the other driver. Making too many errors now though for Ferarri.

Awful bit of driving by Vettel again, I think Leclerc has got in his head now. If I were Ferrari I'd be getting rid of him and looking at another one of the younger drivers, or Danny Ric.
Seb, at least he didn't try to blame the other driver. Making too many errors now though for Ferarri.

I think they changed the wrong driver.

Didn't see the post mortem - did SV get anything other than a 10 second penalty?

Hamilton, to get fastest lap on old hard compound tyres was just the icing on the cake..... Even if he was fortunate with the safety car.

Quite a lot of battles going on and it just proves that when you have a circuit that is actually good for racing, F1 can be quite entertaining. Some of these "street" circuits with few opportunities to overtake need to be replaced with more competitive ones.

As for Vettel, I just think he's struggling under the pressure. He's so used to being No1 that when he is treated on level terms he struggles.

Just the 10 second penalty and 2 points on his license.

Seb is only 3 points ahead of Charles now, I wonder if Ferarri will switch their driver priority if Charles gets ahead, which looks likely at the moment.

Best British GP in ages, probably best F1 race in ages tbh, it was exciting from the start to the finish.

Seb Vettel shows he’s losing it mentally though, he can’t take the Lewis+Max+LeClerc pressure.

Cracking race today, if Charles and Max can provide that for the next 10 plus years F1 will be just fine.
Hard but fair.

Seb did blame Max straight after the incident, you heard him saying " what is he foing? ". He did apologise straight after the race though, before Max had got out his car.

I wonder if Ferarri will switch their driver priority if Charles gets ahead, which looks likely at the moment.

TBH, I rather doubt it. They've never been ones to let the cheap driver outshine their bigger investment.

Thanks, PaulF, I wasn't sure if SV had been awarded some points/endorsements for yet another red mist attack.

2019 FORMULA 1 MERCEDES-BENZ GROSSER PREIS VON DEUTSCHLAND

pYZv5jF.png

Hockenheimring

Lap data
Lap length 4.574km (2.842 miles)
Race laps 67
Race distance 306.458km (190.424 miles)
Pole position Left-hand side of the track
Lap record* 1’13.780 (Kimi Raikkonen, 2004)
Fastest lap 1’13.306 (Michael Schumacher, 2004, qualifying two)
Maximum speed 313kph (194.489 mph)
Distance from grid to turn one 310m
Full throttle 53.5%
Longest flat-out section 1240m
Downforce level Medium
Gear changes per lap 40
Fuel use per lap 1.5kg
Time penalty per lap of fuel 0.045s

UK Times
Friday 26th July 2019
German Grand Prix Free Practice 1: 11:00-12:30 (UK time: 10:00-11:30)
German Grand Prix Free Practice 2: 15:00-16:30 (UK time: 14:00-15:30)
Saturday 27th July 2019
German Grand Prix Free Practice 3: 12:00-13:00 (UK time: 11:00-12:00)
German Grand Prix Qualifying: 15:00 (UK time: 14:00)
Sunday 28th July 2019
German Grand Prix: 15:10 (UK time: 14:10)

Previous Winners
2018 United Kingdom Lewis Hamilton Mercedes Hockenheimring
2017 Not held
2016 United Kingdom Lewis Hamilton Mercedes Hockenheimring
2015 Not held
2014 Germany Nico Rosberg Mercedes Hockenheimring
2013 Germany Sebastian Vettel Red Bull-Renault Nürburgring GP-Strecke
2012 Spain Fernando Alonso Ferrari Hockenheimring
2011 United Kingdom Lewis Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes Nürburgring GP-Strecke
2010 Spain Fernando Alonso Ferrari Hockenheimring
2009 Australia Mark Webber Red Bull-Renault Nürburgring GP-Strecke
2008 United Kingdom Lewis Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes Hockenheimring
2007 Cancelled (replaced by 2007 European Grand Prix)
2006 Germany Michael Schumacher Ferrari Hockenheimring
2005 Spain Fernando Alonso Renault
2003 Colombia Juan Pablo Montoya Williams-BMW
2001 Germany Ralf Schumacher Williams-BMW
2000 Brazil Rubens Barrichello Ferrari

Videos

Vettel 2018
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bs_LIBPTAdg

Mansell 1989 old Hockenheim
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=me7J2FxA_E4

Drivers’ Chosen Tyres
E31YjMt.jpg

Championship Standings
ILnwuZl.png

y44b7ff.png

Well, that was an interesting race!

The weather really mixed it up a bit. Both Mercs going off on the same corner.

Charles had a couple of goes at crashing on that bend before finally managing it.

Seb did very well to stay out of trouble in the early stages and had good pace towards the end. I'd have like to see Kvyat and Stroll on the podium but still good results for them both.

Max was class in those conditions but RB nearly threw it away with the mediums.

Not sure how an unsafe release only warrants a team fine when a five second penalty has been handed out in the past, couple that with Lewis getting a five second penalty for going the wrong side of a cone while bringing a damaged car into the pits.

I am in Italy and it wasn’t on free tv or I’d have watched it. Of course I also missed the IndyCar Grand Prix.

Back