Fuji x100

Let's hope they get it back to you before you leave
Just a quick ask about sd cards. Reviews seem to suggest that raw files take some time to write to the sd card and a UHS-1 card was recommended.
What do people use and are these faster cards worth getting. I currently have a few Sandisk Extreme 30mb/s cards
Allan

Last edited:
I think the minimum recommended to avoid you poking your own eyes out is the 45mb/s. I had a 95mb/s in mine and wasn't sure there was any appreciable advantage over the 45.

I just ordered a Sandisk 95mb/s card from Amazon so will see how that works.
Allan

I just ordered a Sandisk 95mb/s card from Amazon so will see how that works.
Allan

I got that one for about £24 from Amazon and haven't noticed that writing is an issue; certainly when I run off three bracketed exposures, there is no slowdown.

So, I have the screen protector, the downloaded manual, online X100 ebook, SD card. Whats missing, oh yes, I remember.......

7035094137_79845dea5e_o.jpg

Allan

Hopefully ordering one Monday or Tuesday
Allan

:cool:Nice one...just been out with mine.All shot from inside my car as I am a coward lol:LOL:(Apart from the hobo)

DSCF0444.jpg

DSCF0447.jpg

DSCF0448.jpg

DSCF0445.jpg

DSCF0455.jpg

DSCF0450.jpg

Prices seem to be dropping a little now? Is the X-Pro1 going to be pushing them down even further? I've been wanting one of these for quite some time now but couldn't quite justify the cost...

I think its very rare for prices to come down very much after a new model is announced, especially with such a popular camera. It would be nice if they did, but I don't think the XPro-1 is going to appeal to many potential X100 owners considering the huge price difference.
Of course I could be wrong and the X100 will drop at least £200 as soon as I have had mine delivered!

Stuart, cracking shots those, appetite is truly wetted!

Allan

Last edited:
Well... at least over here, in Germany, they have been dropping quite considerably from 1050 to around 880€ since the X-Pro1 was first announced. And quite a few of the auction texts on evilBay say they're parting with the X100 because they're going for the X-Pro1. Hence my question.

I guess I'll keep watching for a few more weeks and see what happens... at some point I'm probably going to bite the bullet and order one regardless of the price. :bonk:

Last edited:
€880 is still a little dearer than over here. Most prices seem to be about €40 less here
It would be nice to see them drop a bit more, I suppose it depends on the Xpro-1 sales.
Allan

Hi Guys i currently have a 550d, thinking of selling up and getting X100.. what do you think? just thought would be easier carrying around, also i mainly take photos of family/people.

I'd buy a GX1+20mm... more flexible good IQ nicely built and if you fancy you do have the choice of other lenses.

I have a 600D and - after a few weeks of thinking along the same lines as you - wouldn't sell... it really depends on what you're after but I see the X100 more as a second camera rather than a real DSLR-replacement. I'm not saying it isn't capable of producing amazing pictures but it IS a fixed-lens 35mm-equiv digital camera. So it is rather limited by design. Think of it like a small two-seater car. Great and perfect for what it is but with limitations... now, if racing around in a sunny country is all you want to do and expect of a car, by all means, go for it.

If you really want to get rid of the 550D, though, maybe the E-P3 would be something for you to give you some of the X100's advantages but still retain the ability to change lenses now and then.

Last edited:
I have an Olympus E-PL2 with a 14 mm lens, a perfect low cost camera system and more lenses can be added later if you need them. The 14-45 lens is a great standard zoom. I don't think you will notice much of a drop in IQ if any
X100 is a fixed lens. It may be a bit of a drastic move to go from what you have to a fixed lens camera unless you are sure that's what you want to do.
Allan

They look really good, no 2 is a cracker with the light coming up at the bottom.
Well, apparently, my money ( X100 funding) has been sent to the bank ( Natwest, last Thursday) but no sign of it in my account yet. Hopefully it will be sitting there ready to spend later this afternoon or first thing tomorrow.
Just where does money sit for 3 days when its electronically transferred?

Shame its not this morning then I would have been able to order and take delivery tomorrow as I have the day off.

I've just put my Oly and 14mm lens up for sale in the classifieds, it will make Mrs Allanm a bit happier knowing I am being responsible with my camera ownership.:naughty: Hopefully, it won't sell and I get to keep that too!

Allan

Cheers mate..cant wait to see what you think of it.I'm still in the honeymoon period but have to say not missing my dslr yet.:LOL:

:clap: Order day today :woot:

I had a look at Clifton cameras but their delivery schedule didn't fill me with confidence, especially with the bank holiday coming up. I don't want to wait till Tuesday!

I'll see what the delivery times are from Fuji for a refurb or Warehouse Express can guarantee delivery for tomorrow.

We have a dealer nearby who has them in stock, but at £749, he won't be getting a visit.....

Right, here we go....

Allan

I rang Clifton mate and asked if they could do me guranteed next day delivery by courier if they didnt include the 4gb sd card they are doing with it.They were fine and and had it couriered to me next day.:cool:

Just ordered from Park Cameras with Platinum Service and free next day delivery. I have used them before and always been pleased with them
Just ordered a couple of spare batteries too.
Hope this weather stays for tomorrow!
Allan

Park didnt have any stock when I was buying...going to be a long 24 hrs for you now lol:LOL:

Firmware 1.21 now available here.

The firmware update Ver.1.21 form ver1.20 incorporates the following issues:

When checking focus point by pushing AE-L/AF-L button in MF mode, following phenomena can be observed in relation to focus area settings. These phenomena are improved.

1.When the focus area is set to bottom right end position, the camera may hang up.
2.Even when the focus area is set to other area than above, focus may be hard to be established.

Last edited:
Fuji must have known I was getting mine today and didn't want me to be disappointed! :dummy:
Allan

:D Version 1.20 came out the day I brought mine now you get spoilt with version 1.21! Its fixed the manual focus issue with the af button anyway so good news!

Camera arrived today. Battery charged. Firmware updated. Suns out. Time to play :woot::woot::woot:

Allan

I only really had about half an hour to go and play with the camera, so it was all set to Auto and I snapped away.
Very impressed with the image quality, this one is almost 100% crop of the bottom right corner.

7045423863_4659de9e4c_b.jpg

And I stood waiting for these guys to do something interesting.....but they didn't.

6899326902_61909d57f4_b.jpg

Great thing about standing around here, there are loads of foreign visitors around and all are snapping away as hard as they can, you don't stand out...

Allan

Just to update on the SABS fix my x100 is getting,

the status has been 'waiting for parts' for a couple of days so I phoned up and they said lens assemblies are on their way from Japan...

so no x100 for a week at least!

:cool:Good to see you managed to fire off a few shots mate. Was there anything that disappointed you at all about it or was you pleasently surprised lol.

I'm looking to pick one of these up. I was looking at second hand but the SAB issue concerns me going that route. £699 seems to be the standard new price, I've found a place relatively local that does it for this price with 2 years warranty and a free memory card. Now to sell some stuff to get the funds together :)

:cool:Good to see you managed to fire off a few shots mate. Was there anything that disappointed you at all about it or was you pleasently surprised lol.

I suppose just getting used to the menus and finding where things are. I may have to look at the manual tonight, sorry!

Nothing disappointing at all. I have always liked the look of the camera, but never having held one, it was a pleasant surprise when I did. It looks and feels well made, like a "proper" camera.

I am very impressed with the image quality too. Cant wait for the Bank Holidays now, a few trips out would be nice.

What sort of cases do people use? Is it worth getting the ever ready types or is there something more suitable. I don't want anything big or obtrusive, at the moment I have a small NG1152 that fits ok, but I thought it deserved better.

Allan

The menus soon become second nature and to be honest once you have programmed the function button and raw button its not often you will need to venture there.As for cases I went for the lowepro ILC 50 ,it fits perfect with lens hood on and has room for spare battery and sd card too..I went for the JJC lens hood and filter adapter also but purchased a 49mm pinch cap as the fuji cap wont fit with hood in place and didnt fancy taking it off all the time.

What sort of cases do people use? Is it worth getting the ever ready types or is there something more suitable. I don't want anything big or obtrusive, at the moment I have a small NG1152 that fits ok, but I thought it deserved better.

I have this copy of the genuine leather one and it's pretty good. I've not seen a genuine one so can't be sure what difference there is in quality but I'm quite happy with it.

I went for the JJC lens hood and filter adapter also but purchased a 49mm pinch cap as the fuji cap wont fit with hood in place and didnt fancy taking it off all the time.

I have the JJC hood / filter adapter as you have but use a 55mm pinch cap when the hood is attached.

Back