Fujifilm X-H1

you should be less judgemental and also take jokes less seriously :)

I've had my wildlife days too :)

I have found, if I cannot get my subject to fill at least 25% of the frame, focus is unreliable. I've always had the same issue no matter what kit I was using (even 7D2 and 300 f2.8 L). A full frame body, no matter how many MP, would give me more of a problem than a crop body. Unless of course, my 400mm became a 600mm lens, but then I probably wouldn't of been able to carry it to where I was (or afford it!).

Maybe I have a technique problem, but I'm not the only person I know who has the same problem. A crop body works better for me.... (and I've had FF bodies before). Would I buy FF again? Probably, but I would want the same user experience I get with my current Fuji equipment. I just enjoy shooting with it more than I ever did my Canon DSLR's, and I've had a few!

I have found, if I cannot get my subject to fill at least 25% of the frame, focus is unreliable. I've always had the same issue no matter what kit I was using (even 7D2 and 300 f2.8 L). A full frame body, no matter how many MP, would give me more of a problem than a crop body. Unless of course, my 400mm became a 600mm lens, but then I probably wouldn't of been able to carry it to where I was (or afford it!).

Maybe I have a technique problem, but I'm not the only person I know who has the same problem. A crop body works better for me.... (and I've had FF bodies before). Would I buy FF again? Probably, but I would want the same user experience I get with my current Fuji equipment. I just enjoy shooting with it more than I ever did my Canon DSLR's, and I've had a few!

I think that's because of the AF points coverage which historically have been better on APS-C bodies compared to FF bodies where al the AF points were clustered in the middle of the frame. But these days that's changing too.

A7III and A9 both have AF coverage across the frame. X-T2 and A7RII/III covers about 50% of frame (though I think X-T2 has a better horizontal frame coverage). D850 also covers 50% of frame horizontally but only about centre 1/3rd vertically.

I think that's because of the AF points coverage which historically have been better on APS-C bodies compared to FF bodies where al the AF points were clustered in the middle of the frame. But these days that's changing too.

A7III and A9 both have AF coverage across the frame. X-T2 and A7RII/III covers about 50% of frame (though I think X-T2 has a better horizontal frame coverage). D850 also covers 50% of frame horizontally but only about centre 1/3rd vertically.

Doesn't explain the 7D2 (or 7D, or 6D, or 5D2) which seemed to suffer the same issue. The 7D2 had class leading AF when it was released.

Doesn't explain the 7D2 (or 7D, or 6D, or 5D2) which seemed to suffer the same issue. The 7D2 had class leading AF when it was released.

I disagree with the comment in bold, its decent but not class leading.

6D isn't exactly known for their AF. Its AF system is rather pedestrian with 9 AF points that are pretty much only the in centre of the frame.
I can't comment on 5D2 as its before my time and I never felt the need to try it :)

I had 5 spare minutes in town this afternoon so popped in to Jessops to see if they had one in stock. No but they could get one in for me if I paid them a deposit... Didn't have time to get down to LCE. Pretty sure I don't want one anyway but it's been a while since my last fix purchase.

Back