Fujifilm X-H1

Well I've got one today, popped into my local camera shop to have a play and got offered a nice price for trade in against my X-T2 .

Early impressions its faster to lock on than the X-T2 in low light.
The shutter is lovely but it is very senestive but so quiet. When I first tired I couldn't understand why the elf kept going black but then I realised I was actually taking a picture.
The EVF for me is better than the X-T2.
You cant allocate IBIS to a function button but I have it as my first item in My menu so its only one more press so I settle for that, well till at least Fuji fixes that with a firmware update
Battery life seems to be no worse than the X-T2 took 180 shots of the grandkids today and still have 3 bars on the battery, but saying that is was mainly without IBIS.
Personally I love the top LCD that was one thing I miss on the X-T2/20.
Actually prefer the exp comp on the X-H1 on the X-T2 I use to use it in C mode and adjust on the front dial but I was forever accidentally changing it, I have set so you press the exp button and you can change until you press the exp button again.
I never had a touch screen till I got the X-T20 but found I really like them since so thats a plus for me.
It is noticeably heavier then the X-T2 when you first pick it up but I think it handles better especially with the 16-55 f2.8.
The weight and size is defiantly a marmite thing I've kept my X-T20 for when I want to go light for that reason

Well I've got one today, popped into my local camera shop to have a play and got offered a nice price for trade in against my X-T2 .

Early impressions its faster to lock on than the X-T2 in low light.
The shutter is lovely but it is very senestive but so quiet. When I first tired I couldn't understand why the elf kept going black but then I realised I was actually taking a picture.
The EVF for me is better than the X-T2.
You cant allocate IBIS to a function button but I have it as my first item in My menu so its only one more press so I settle for that, well till at least Fuji fixes that with a firmware update
Battery life seems to be no worse than the X-T2 took 180 shots of the grandkids today and still have 3 bars on the battery, but saying that is was mainly without IBIS.
Personally I love the top LCD that was one thing I miss on the X-T2/20.
Actually prefer the exp comp on the X-H1 on the X-T2 I use to use it in C mode and adjust on the front dial but I was forever accidentally changing it, I have set so you press the exp button and you can change until you press the exp button again.
I never had a touch screen till I got the X-T20 but found I really like them since so thats a plus for me.
It is noticeably heavier then the X-T2 when you first pick it up but I think it handles better especially with the 16-55 f2.8.
The weight and size is defiantly a marmite thing I've kept my X-T20 for when I want to go light for that reason

Thanks for that. I hoping to have a look at one tomorrow at the Photography Show. I have no doubt that I will be impressed :)

IMHO the main issue is the weight and size people will love it or hate it.
Im hopefully going to the show tomorrow I was going to wait for the show and see one but I couldn't resist.

I find the weight is very similar once you pop a lens on it, the size is a very individual choice. I stick a grip on pretty much every mirrorless camera I buy so for me the X-H1 is ideal as it's got a proper grip in the first place :)

I find the weight is very similar once you pop a lens on it, the size is a very individual choice. I stick a grip on pretty much every mirrorless camera I buy so for me the X-H1 is ideal as it's got a proper grip in the first place :)

Agree with that the difference becomes a lot less evident with a lens attached especially with one of the larger ones. I prefer the handling over the xt2 and the grip is nice.

Maybe it's because I shoot a 1DX but when I picked one up at the photography show yesterday it took me a moment to realise it wasn't a X-T2. (In my defence, I was distracted by the attached MK50-135 lens which was also way lighter than I expected.)

Just tried one at the Photography Show and I have to say that I m very impressed. I love the grip and the IBIS is excellent.

I m back home with my XT2. The show didn't offer any good deals. The didn't have the body only and only offered £50 of the gripped body. I was only after the body only

Anyway, it seemed that LCE are in rush for the release of the XH-2 :fuji:

According to a Fuji Rep it will be out in two years. You heard it here first folks :exit:

Attachments

• LCE Fuji XH-2.jpg
    LCE Fuji XH-2.jpg
    498 KB · Views: 33
It was insured yes but have struggled to be able to make a loss report and had to head home first thing this morning so I don't think they'll be able to do anything.

I think I've found the Taxi firm I used and contacted their Lost Property, hopefully the driver handed it in.

As I said less gutted by the camera than I am the pics of the weekend :( ironically I'd taken my Wireless Passport drive to backup and just never got around to it :(

It was insured yes but have struggled to be able to make a loss report and had to head home first thing this morning so I don't think they'll be able to do anything.

I think I've found the Taxi firm I used and contacted their Lost Property, hopefully the driver handed it in.

As I said less gutted by the camera than I am the pics of the weekend :( ironically I'd taken my Wireless Passport drive to backup and just never got around to it :(

Hope the Rugby made up for it? :p

I feel your pain. Happened to me in Barcelona a while ago

So how are those with the XH1 getting on with it?

I really like mine. After the first week of having it pluses for me
1. The top LCD but I've always been a fan of those and it was something I missed on the X-T2
2. The shutter is a joy to use.
3. I actually prefer the exp comp setup on the X-H1 I was forever changing it by accident on the T2, on the H1 I have the exp button set as a switch so press to turn on and then change on the front dial and it will stay that way till I turn it off again.
4. The EVF is lovely especially on action stuff, went to Donnington BSB test on Tuesday (bit of slow day due to the track temp) and for the first time using a X series camera I didn't really notice the difference between an EVF and an optical viewfinder.
5. The grip makes handling especially with the 100-400 better
6. Touchscreen is nice especially for reviewing images
7. AF lock on I find is quicker and it seems to focus better in low light and it seems to me tracking is better but knowing Fuji most of these af benefits will filter down to the T2 & T20.

Minus points

1. The size it is heavier and bigger but with the larger zooms e.g 100-400 & 16-55 f2.8 it is a lot less noticeable, but it won't be everyones cup to tea. Im keeping my X-T20 for when I want to go light.
2. The shutter - yes I know it is a plus point but I still find im taking images accidentally but im getting use to it and Im sure this will go soon.

You may notice I haven't mentioned IBIS, only because I haven't used it in earnest only a few cat pics where I can seem to get sharp shots at 1/15 with the 90mm without any problem so I thing its going to be real bonus and its one of the main reasons why I got one.

Few random shots from Donnington BSB

Donnie test-2.jpg

Tracking through a wire fence at approx an angle of 45deg

Donnie test-3.jpg

Again tracking through a wire fence at approx 45deg, bike doing approx 160mph at this point. Only had the chance to try a couple of shots at this point and Im sure I could do better given the chance

Donnie test-6.jpg

I had a very narrow view to get this shot, im guessing 1/2 to a sec for the camera to lock on, track and take the picture.

Donnie test-7.jpg

In this shot the bike pop up over the crest at 100mph? so the camera only has a split second to lock on and I was very surprised with the amount of keepers I got here and the light was pretty bad at this point.

So summing up the limited time I had during the day to shoot shots I was very happy with it, to me its not in the D500 and 300/400mm f2.8 pairing class but it is a very capable camera for super bikes.

Havent mentioned image quality has its the same as the X-T2.

I really like mine. After the first week of having it pluses for me
1. The top LCD but I've always been a fan of those and it was something I missed on the X-T2
2. The shutter is a joy to use.
3. I actually prefer the exp comp setup on the X-H1 I was forever changing it by accident on the T2, on the H1 I have the exp button set as a switch so press to turn on and then change on the front dial and it will stay that way till I turn it off again.
4. The EVF is lovely especially on action stuff, went to Donnington BSB test on Tuesday (bit of slow day due to the track temp) and for the first time using a X series camera I didn't really notice the difference between an EVF and an optical viewfinder.
5. The grip makes handling especially with the 100-400 better
6. Touchscreen is nice especially for reviewing images
7. AF lock on I find is quicker and it seems to focus better in low light and it seems to me tracking is better but knowing Fuji most of these af benefits will filter down to the T2 & T20.

Minus points

1. The size it is heavier and bigger but with the larger zooms e.g 100-400 & 16-55 f2.8 it is a lot less noticeable, but it won't be everyones cup to tea. Im keeping my X-T20 for when I want to go light.
2. The shutter - yes I know it is a plus point but I still find im taking images accidentally but im getting use to it and Im sure this will go soon.

You may notice I haven't mentioned IBIS, only because I haven't used it in earnest only a few cat pics where I can seem to get sharp shots at 1/15 with the 90mm without any problem so I thing its going to be real bonus and its one of the main reasons why I got one.

Few random shots from Donnington BSB

View attachment 122750

Tracking through a wire fence at approx an angle of 45deg

View attachment 122751

Again tracking through a wire fence at approx 45deg, bike doing approx 160mph at this point. Only had the chance to try a couple of shots at this point and Im sure I could do better given the chance

View attachment 122752

I had a very narrow view to get this shot, im guessing 1/2 to a sec for the camera to lock on, track and take the picture.

View attachment 122753

In this shot the bike pop up over the crest at 100mph? so the camera only has a split second to lock on and I was very surprised with the amount of keepers I got here and the light was pretty bad at this point.

So summing up the limited time I had during the day to shoot shots I was very happy with it, to me its not in the D500 and 300/400mm f2.8 pairing class but it is a very capable camera for super bikes.

Havent mentioned image quality has its the same as the X-T2.

Thanks for your views. Very informative. Love the last..

By the way. Are you using AF-ON ?

Thanks for your views. Very informative. Love the last..

By the way. Are you using AF-ON ?

Yes and no :) The AF falls nicely under the thumb so it's a lot easier to use, I couldn't get on with using AF-ON on the T2 so after years of using it on Nikons I had stopped using. So quite a few times when I set up the camera for AF-ON I kept forgetting to use it.
But it something I'm going to use just a matter of re training myself.

@yamahatdm900

Any chance of some shots using the Eterna film sim ?

Appreciate it.

A couple of weeks in now, so like @yamahatdm900, here's my update:
  • My technique must have been rubbish before because I am getting a lot more keepers, focus wise, especially when using the tilt screen. Obviously it's harder to keep camera steady with extended arms, and the IBIS is helping here. So pretty happy with that.
  • I don't like touch screens it turns out - except for reviewing pictures. Perhaps it's because I never had one before, but it's no real value to me, and my nose was responsible for selecting random focus points with it turned on!
  • That said, I do like the fact that the eye piece is just a little more pronounced than the XT2. It does at least allow room for my nose and isn't any less comfortable to use now than the XPRO2 (freedom for noses!)
  • I've not attached the grip since testing when first buying, and I've not used a single battery charge up yet in one session. I can see using it in the summer when the Mrs starts surfing again, but until then, the camera is very comfortable without it.
  • Completely adapted to the shutter now. No more extra shots!
  • Turns out I can handhold down to 1/1.6 (0.6sec) now with the 16-55. :)
  • No idea why this should be the case by HSS works with my Godox X1Tf trigger now. Didn't with the XT2.
  • I haven't had to retake a shot because I knocked the exposure compensation dial!
  • I only really use the extra screen to check I have both cards in and some battery left.
I also took the opportunity to reduce my gear a bit - traded in the XT2 and sold on the XPRO2 and X100F, so I only have one body - one choice now. It means I'm making more conscious choices in composition with the lens I have on rather than whipping our one of the other bodies with a different lens, and I've also re-discovered the 23/1.4 which had zero use since I bought the X100. Nothing directly to do with the X-1H, but it does mean I'm revisiting all my old lenses and lenses I had pretty much discounted as coming back to life.

Last edited:
  • My technique must have been rubbish before because I am getting a lot more keepers, focus wise, especially when using the tilt screen. Obviously it's harder to keep camera steady with extended arms, and the IBIS is helping here. So pretty happy with that.
  • I don't like touch screens it turns out - except for reviewing pictures. Perhaps it's because I never had one before, but it's no real value to me, and my nose was responsible for selecting random focus points with it turned on!
  • That said, I do like the fact that the eye piece is just a little more pronounced than the XT2. It does at least allow room for my nose and isn't any less comfortable to use now than the XPRO2 (freedom for noses!)
  • I've not attached the grip since testing when first buying, and I've not used a single battery charge up yet in one session. I can see using it in the summer when the Mrs starts surfing again, but until then, the camera is very comfortable without it.
  • No idea why this should be the case by HSS works with my Godox X1Tf trigger now. Didn't with the XT2.
  • I haven't had to retake a shot because I knocked the exposure compensation dial!
  • I only really use the extra screen to check I have both cards in and some battery left.
I also took the opportunity to reduce my gear a bit - traded in the XT2 and sold on the XPRO2 and X100F, so I only have one body - one choice now. It means I'm making more conscious choices in composition with the lens I have on rather than whipping our one of the other bodies with a different lens, and I've also re-discovered the 23/1.4 which had zero use since I bought the X100. Nothing directly to do with the X-1H, but it does mean I'm revisiting all my old lenses and lenses I had pretty much discounted as coming back to life.

Great update :)

Smashing. Thanks for your thoughts.

Thanks for the update. I m still sitting on the fence. I m very happy with my XT-2 but would so love the IBIS

Thanks for the update. I m still sitting on the fence. I m very happy with my XT-2 but would so love the IBIS
I can understand that when it first announced it didnt appeal to me and was thinking about getting a T3 when it comes out. But the more i thought about the ibis with the primes and the 16-55 the more it appealed and when i tried one i was hooked. A decent trade in price and the 100 quid bonus helped.
If it was my only Fuji body it would have been a harder descion because then the size for me would have been more of a factor but ive kept my T20 for when i want to go light.
I got a 3 days of shooting planned the weekend including a day at Donnie for BSB so i post an update then.
If you are ever in the Abingdon your welcome to shoot a few frames

Last edited:
Niiiice. I’m so tempted to wade in..
Just a question of whether I can make the switch from full frame.

I’ve made a deal with my local store to trade in the A7riii for store credit (excellent deal), currently I’m eyeing picking up a cheap Pentax K1 with the 24-70 to use for full-frame landscaping and using the XH1 for everything else, but that could easily change into picking up a second body (XT2/X-Pro2) and more Fuji glass if I go that way....
The XT2 was a joy to use (despite losing it), just want some fun back in my photography again and with a few trips planned the smaller body/lenses is the way to go.

Back