Fujifilm X-H1

so who has ordered one? who is getting one?

looks like a lovely camera.
I think its another worthy effort from Fuji when viewed in isolation, the problem in my eyes is its price when you compare it against the mighty Sony A7 III.
For that extra £££ the Sony A7 III seem's the better choice. :)

I think its another worthy effort from Fuji when viewed in isolation, the problem in my eyes is its price when you compare it against the mighty Sony A7 III.
For that extra £££ the Sony A7 III seem's the better choice. :)

if invested in the fuji system the a7iii is irrelevant. i have both sony and fuji -not sure which to side with.

if invested in the fuji system the a7iii is irrelevant. i have both sony and fuji -not sure which to side with.
If you have both the Fuji and Sony system then it might be best to take a step back and see which system offers you the greatest benefits, for me it is always the same, FF vs APS-C. :)
I would personally wait until the Fuji XT-3 is announced and see what it brings to the table before making a choice.

Xt3 unlikely to have ibis and will sit below the xh line. If I’m going fuji xh will be purchased.

I tried it at Jessops this week.

Fuji rep said AF is much improved over XT-2 which isn' t being widely reported yet.

It's not too big and the 50/140 felt much better balanced on it than the XT-2.

However as tempted as I was it comes back to size / weight getting up close to DSLR levels which is why I sold my XT-2 and lenses. If you want a telephoto lens on a Fuji it's still quite large.

I feel like a traitor, i've gone OMD EM1 ii to give M4/3 a go. Cheaper, much lighter and based on real world samples i've seen on flickr very close on IQ.

I tried it at Jessops this week.

Fuji rep said AF is much improved over XT-2 which isn' t being widely reported yet.

It's not too big and the 50/140 felt much better balanced on it than the XT-2.

However as tempted as I was it comes back to size / weight getting up close to DSLR levels which is why I sold my XT-2 and lenses. If you want a telephoto lens on a Fuji it's still quite large.

I feel like a traitor, i've gone OMD EM1 ii to give M4/3 a go. Cheaper, much lighter and based on real world samples i've seen on flickr very close on IQ.

Traitor. Hang your head in shame.

I've tried it.
Whilst not as big as initial reports suggested it is noticeably larger than the T2.
It is probably designed more for the video market.
But by the time you get even the "Small" 55.200 lens on it you are back into the realms of a weighty set up. As for the 100.400.......

If you mainly use a tripod then IBIS is little use to you. In addition you must use Fuji lenses or the IBIS cannot operate properly. No legacy lenses.

It is also reported that it is the start of a bigger range to cater for Canikon shooters who won't accept smaller bodies, however good they are. Size apparently matters.

IMHO it's a good answer to a question that few are asking.

As a lot of what I do is wildlife, generally with the 100-400 (and very often with the 1.4TC) attached plus the grip, I'm thinking that an X-H1 will not be that much heavier, it may well balance the kit better. I had to get rid of my Canon set up as the 7D2, grip & 150-600 were just too heavy to hand hold for BIF (I'm a weak ba******) I think the X-H1 will still be lighter.

I'm going to play with one at the Photography Show and then decide what to do. I could out one of my X-T2's and have a set up of X-H1 for wildlife and the X-T2 for everything else.

Decisions, decisions. My Mrs will tell me no anyway :punch:

As a lot of what I do is wildlife, generally with the 100-400 (and very often with the 1.4TC) attached plus the grip, I'm thinking that an X-H1 will not be that much heavier, it may well balance the kit better. I had to get rid of my Canon set up as the 7D2, grip & 150-600 were just too heavy to hand hold for BIF (I'm a weak ba******) I think the X-H1 will still be lighter.

I'm going to play with one at the Photography Show and then decide what to do. I could out one of my X-T2's and have a set up of X-H1 for wildlife and the X-T2 for everything else.

Decisions, decisions. My Mrs will tell me no anyway :punch:
I thought it was much better balanced with a 50/140 on and hardly any weight difference over an XT-2.

For me though it's the overall size of the kit bag I would need, 50/140 100/400 + a couple of primes.

XT-2 always felt wrong with the 50/140 + 100/400 on the front even with the grip but I still love it and Fuji in general.

When the X-T3 comes out with the amazing new sensor , the choice will be between IBIS and better sensor.
I think I know which will win.

I currently have the X-T2, and use it for photography and now mostly video. The videographer in me wants the X-H1 for videos, as it is aimed in that direction, and IBIS is extremely handy for videos. However, I will likely lean towards the X-T3, as I am more of a photographer and I don't need IBIS for photography.

A lot of people seem to be of the opinion that the xh1 is a t2 with ibis. The improved build quality not appeal to anyone?

Would like IBIS, but not keen on the centrally positioned viewfinder, sold the X-T1 because of that
Also its considerably bigger than my X-Pro2 or X-E2 according to the camera size comparison website

Well I've even asking Fuji for IBIS for a few years now and I will be checking it out at the photography show.
I have a bag full of XF primes that I hope the ibis will help me get the best out of.
As sadly for me old age and poor health has also bought shaky hands and a tripod isn't always a solution to the shooting situation.:(
I have recently been shooting with Olympus OMDs and a selection of there fast primes and I'm well impressed with there IBIS system:)
I only hope the X-H1 is as good ?
I will probably trade both my Nikon and Canon systems as they get very little use these days:(

A lot of people seem to be of the opinion that the xh1 is a t2 with ibis. The improved build quality not appeal to anyone?

For me it's mainly a wallet thing. Although...

IBIS is not really of any use to me (landscape=tripod, portrait=tripod, anything else = ISO 1600+). The Fuji high ISO is superb, their low aperture lenses are plentiful. Shooting in low light isn't that much of a problem - even for me with my shaky hands. The sensor is the same as my X-T2, the body shape is moving more DSLR style and while that's of suspicious benefit, it's just not worth the hassle of trade-in/selling to move up. I don't think the X-H1 will be a huge success like the other X cameras - it's too much like the X-T2 with bells for me.

IMHO it's a good answer to a question that few are asking.
This summarises it quite nicely for me too.

I'm waiting for now.

Last edited:
The first few bits I've read suggest the folk are very impressed, much improved AF speed (even on well known slower glass like the 23mm), the IBIS performance looks like it could make a massive difference.

Shame Fuji doesn't update their old primes.

In what way don't they update them? You mena firmware or releasing a brand new lens with the same aperture and focal lengths as the older models?

I like the XH-1 and even though it has the same sensor as my xt2 the IBIS, the bigger grip, bigger buttons is a huge improvement over my xt2 for my own needs. I wouldn't have sold my lovely 90mm f2 if it was stabilized.

I am hopping to try one at the Photography Show. I am so tempted.

With the firmware updates they have made since first coming on the market I’ve seen a real improvement even on the old XPro1 and better results on XT2 and XT1

I like the XH-1 and even though it has the same sensor as my xt2 the IBIS, the bigger grip, bigger buttons is a huge improvement over my xt2 for my own needs. I wouldn't have sold my lovely 90mm f2 if it was stabilized.

I am hopping to try one at the Photography Show. I am so tempted.

Same here I have a bag ful of XF primes I would like to be able to get the best out of henceI have hung onto them hoping that Fujiwould release a body with IBIS
And now it’s here :)
:fuji: They are Gr8 listeners and deliver what customers want !

It seems to be in stock everywhere which means that people are not rushing out to buy it. Not the experience I had when I bought the XT1/2.

Is it going to be a big hit? Only time will tell

Last edited:
It seems to be in stock everywhere which means that people are not rushing out to buy it. Not the experience I had when I bought the XT1/2.

Is it going to be a big hit? Only time will tell

I’m not committing to it just yet I really want to check it out at the show in a couple of weeks time.
From what I have seen IBIS is realistically more like 2 or 3 stops in the real world and that also depends on the lens you mount on the body ?

I'll not be buying the X-H1, I have the X-T2 and I think I've used it for video on maybe three occasions. Like most people I went mirrorless from Canon FF for a smaller , more portable system. I'm primarily a stills shooter, my favourite camera of all time is the X-Pro 2, so I'm holding out for the X-Pro 3

I'll not be buying the X-H1, I have the X-T2 and I think I've used it for video on maybe three occasions. Like most people I went mirrorless from Canon FF for a smaller , more portable system. I'm primarily a stills shooter, my favourite camera of all time is the X-Pro 2, so I'm holding out for the X-Pro 3

Exactly my thoughts too. I'd like IBIS but not at the expense of size/weight. Having swapped to Nikon for a year it's nice to have gone back to Fuji with the X-Pro2 & X100f with their smaller size. My shoulder and back are thanking me already. :)

I moved from Fuji to M43 mostly for the Ibis. It's good to see Fuji implement it now, but I'd have to see it on a much cheaper body before I'd return. The only difference between the xh1 and one of the higher end M43 bodies is of course the sensor. I've found M43 not to be all that far behind tbh, if you process all of your images anyway . And You get 5 stops of stabilization for any lens, with options to boost that with certain lenses that take advantage of dual IS. For budget shooters like me the M43 prime range is also much friendlier to the pocket.

Quite a few concerns about the size here, is that still the main selling point? Mirrorless has plenty of things to differentiate it vs. traditional DSLRs and there are also plenty of small mirrorless cameras, so I really don't see an issue with the higher end bodies going big. For high-end video (which this body seems primarily for) heat is a major issue and it has to go somewhere.

I personally shoot weddings with an a7RII because of the completely silent shooting, the Eye AF, the EVF, the flippy screen with full-AF and zero concerns with micro-adjusting etc. The fact that it's a bit smaller than an equivalent DSLR is a bonus.

I’m not convinced that size is the main selling point of mirrorless anymore, in fact personally I find most mirrorless bodies too small without at least an additional Hand-Grip (Fuji/Sony) - so a series of slightly larger (still small by DSLR standards) bodies with mirrorless tech would be a godsend for me! (And save me spending an extra £100 on a grip!!!)

The likes of the Pana G9 and GH5 are bordering on Dslr size, in fact the G9 is bigger than some mid level dslr. My G80 with battery grip attached looks huge to non photographers.

It's not the bodies only that keep M43 smaller, it's the lenses. I have a 100-300 tele lens on the way, it is neater and smaller than a 70-300 Nikon, and it offers the FF equivalent of 200-600mm! A lens that would be massive, heavy and very expensive for dslr. Some of the kit lenses for mirrorless are no larger than pancake primes, and the quality is still very good.

Looking at the X-H1, it isn't that big at all, compared to my G80, which I find dinky, yet comfy - only the top LCD makes it bigger viewing from the top

http://camerasize.com/compare/#689,772

Last edited:
I’m not convinced that size is the main selling point of mirrorless anymore, in fact personally I find most mirrorless bodies too small without at least an additional Hand-Grip (Fuji/Sony) - so a series of slightly larger (still small by DSLR standards) bodies with mirrorless tech would be a godsend for me! (And save me spending an extra £100 on a grip!!!)

Quite agree. I am jumping with joy with the new X-H1. Smaller size is not a major consideration for me. Indeed I had to buy the grip for the X-T2 to make it handle better for me. So the bigger size of the X-H1with IBIS etc suits me fine....

Last edited:
I can see a flood of X-T2 hitting classified and other used sites once owners scrape the rest together. It makes most sense for those heavily invested into Fuji system, as in, owning a lot of nice glass to go with the new body.

Back