Fujifilm X-H1

Off to Wex tomorrow to have another fondle, been offered decent trade in prices for my Oly gear

One thing really annoys me though, the grip and extra batteries is pretty much a compulsory purchase to get decent battery life.

I got a 55-200 today. Supposed to be new but clearly wasn't.. Sent it back. I think I might get the 50-140 instead.. Decisions decisions :)

First outing yesterday at Goodwood FOS, Classic Chrome, just some snapshots really, people everywhere being a PITA hindering composition, that's my excuse anyway :rolleyes:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/124821128@N04/sets/72157698677729924

Haven't been for a few years (it generally falls around our wedding anniversary) but most people see you're taking a picture, and walk in front of you anyway....

Oh and one complaint, you have nothing from the Mini stand, not even the GP3 Concept, which I really wanted to see in the flesh.

Last edited:
I was interested, but only offered a measurely £500,00 trade in on my X-Pro 2.
So no decided to keep the X-Pro 2.

Turned off the IS for these as I was panning quite quickly, wanted to turn it on again and take more to compare but these were the last one's coming in to land at Lakenheath.

On the XH-1 if you turn off OIS on a lens it also disables the in body IS automatically apparently.

Lakenheath_2 by PDP, on Flickr

Lakenheath_4 by PDP, on Flickr

Lakenheath_7 by PDP, on Flickr

Picked up an L bracket from Amazon last week for £22, it’s quite nicely made and fits well. You can access the battery compartment when it’s fitted, you can also open the side flap with the USB port but the flap would foul on a tripod head if you plugged a shutter release in when in portrait orientation. I’m not too bothered by that now the Fuji app operates on Bluetooth.

Don’t think you would have the fouling problem with a Kirk bracket but I’m not paying £150 for one of those :/

Picked up an L bracket from Amazon last week for £22, it’s quite nicely made and fits well. You can access the battery compartment when it’s fitted, you can also open the side flap with the USB port but the flap would foul on a tripod head if you plugged a shutter release in when in portrait orientation. I’m not too bothered by that now the Fuji app operates on Bluetooth.

Don’t think you would have the fouling problem with a Kirk bracket but I’m not paying £150 for one of those :/

Smallrigs L bracket for the X-H1 is due out at the end of this month. Preordered mine for $53 some time ago. If it’s anything like their bracket for the Sony A7R3 I will be well pleased.

Last edited:
Lovely, really like the way the line of clouds are angled against the slope of the mountain

Thanks Pete really appreciate you taking time to look :)

Hust had an email from Camera Solutions in Chester offering £440 off an X-H1 and lens bundle, only valid n store, so if anyone in the area might be a good buy!

Here's the email:

This is an exclusive in-store only offer for our customers

Purchase any FujiFilm X-H1 kit and save £200 when you buy any FujiFilm XF lens when bought at the same time!

This offer also includes the £220 instant saving off the X-H1 body giving you a total saving of £440!!!

This offer is not available online and is open to you by simply popping in-store between 26th July and 9th August 2018 and is an instant saving so we simply knock the money off the lens and camera at point of purchase its as simple as that!

Currently on holiday in Ireland and due to the weather being crap as ever (aka very wet) I haven’t taken more than 50 photos yet have gone through 2 batteries already in 5 days despite their limited use.Both were fully charged prior to setting off. I have switched off all the main sources of battery drain such as constant IBIS, Bluetooth etc. Yet battery life is still s***e. Having come back to Fuji from using the Sony A7 and A7R3 and their new improved battery life I am far from happy with the battery performance of the X-H1. I expected it to be poorer than the X-T2 I used to have but not this bad. How does everyone else find battery performance? Any suggestions for reducing consumption. I am frankly ready to move back to Sony if I can’t sort this out.

Last edited:
50 shots over two batteries does not seem right. I’d have a word with the supplier. I got hundreds off one battery (can’t recall right now exactly how many)

Last edited:
I have 3 batteries and all are Fuji rather than 3rd party. I think I will contact the supplier and see what they say.

Currently on holiday in Ireland and due to the weather being crap as ever (aka very wet) I haven’t take more than 50 photos yet have gone through 2 batteries already in 5 days despite their limited use.Both were fully charged prior to setting off. I have switched off all the main sources of battery drain such as constant IBIS, Bluetooth etc. Yet battery life is still s***e. Having come back to Fuji from using the Sony A7 and A7R3 and their new improved battery life I am far from happy with the battery performance of the X-H1. I expected it to be poorer than the X-T2 I used to have but not this bad. How does everyone else find battery performance? Any suggestions for reducing consumption. I am frankly ready to move back to Sony if I can’t sort this out.

Doesn’t sound right to me Trev. I used mine on a couple of jobs 600 shots without going through 2.

Out of habit ever since I started with mirrorless I would tend to switch it off whenever I know there would be a pause in shooting that my be a minute or more. Found this worked well with the Fuji’s as the start up time is pretty quick.

Doesn’t sound right to me Trev. I used mine on a couple of jobs 600 shots without going through 2.

Out of habit ever since I started with mirrorless I would tend to switch it off whenever I know there would be a pause in shooting that my be a minute or more. Found this worked well with the Fuji’s as the start up time is pretty quick.

Thanks for this. I must admit to being a bit hit and miss turning my camera off but this week the chances to take photos without getting drenched have been very few so have had the camera switched off most of the time. Frustrated to say the least.

I did a shoot yesterday and got over 500 shots and still had about 10% left on the first battery in the grip, the other 2 remained full. Had IBIS on continuously with a 50-140. I did turn bluetooth off before I started.

Edit
Would add that the batteries have improved after being charged 3 or 4 times, initially I was getting about 300 per charge.

Last edited:
I did a shoot yesterday and got over 500 shots and still had about 10% left on the first battery in the grip, the other 2 remained full. Had IBIS on continuously with a 50-140. I did turn bluetooth off before I started.

Edit
Would add that the batteries have improved after being charged 3 or 4 times, initially I was getting about 300 per charge.

Thanks to everyone for coming back to me. Maybe my batteries need time to get to peak efficiency but I get the feeling I have an issue with the camera. The only thing I haven’t switched off is boost as I use the EVF and it improves performance. If I have to start turning that off then what is the point of me having the camera.

I have made a couple more tweaks. Auto powerdown is now 15 seconds and I have set eye sensor to switch on EVF. Fingers crossed I see an improvement.

Last edited:
I always have boost on, I do switch off if I know it’s going to be a couple of minutes between shots.

Trev update....

Had a shoot at Brands Hatch today, C-AF, IBIS on constantly, CH, camera on constantly for a 40 minute session then on again for 25 minutes, 870 shots until the first battery died. Probably another 20 minutes where it was turned on and off taking a couple of shots here and there.

Tordoff by PDP, on Flickr

Last edited:
Currently on holiday in Ireland and due to the weather being crap as ever (aka very wet) I haven’t taken more than 50 photos yet have gone through 2 batteries already in 5 days despite their limited use.Both were fully charged prior to setting off. I have switched off all the main sources of battery drain such as constant IBIS, Bluetooth etc. Yet battery life is still s***e. Having come back to Fuji from using the Sony A7 and A7R3 and their new improved battery life I am far from happy with the battery performance of the X-H1. I expected it to be poorer than the X-T2 I used to have but not this bad. How does everyone else find battery performance? Any suggestions for reducing consumption. I am frankly ready to move back to Sony if I can’t sort this out.

Sometimes I don't find the number of shots a useful measure because if you are bursting you'll end with lot more shots than say shooting many long exposures with the same battery life. I have quite easily managed a full day on two batteries with intermittent shooting on X-H1. Can't say it's any better or worst that previous generation Sonys.

Were you trying to shoot lot of videos or anything by any chance? How were you shooting?

Last edited:
Trev update....

Had a shoot at Brands Hatch today, C-AF, IBIS on constantly, CH, camera on constantly for a 40 minute session then on again for 25 minutes, 870 shots until the first battery died. Probably another 20 minutes where it was turned on and off taking a couple of shots here and there.

Tordoff by PDP, on Flickr

Thanks for the update. I have now tweaked my camera as much as I can and will see how I get on once I return home..

Sometimes I don't find the number of shots a useful measure because if you are bursting you'll end with lot more shots than say shooting many long exposures with the same battery life. I have quite easily managed a full day on two batteries with intermittent shooting on X-H1. Can't say it's any better or worst that previous generation Sonys.

Were you trying to shoot lot of videos or anything by any chance? How were you shooting?

All my shots have been single shots, mainly landscapes. No video... not my thing :). I don't tend to take large numbers of photos at a time. Generally 50-100 in a day,

Having tweaked my camera to reduce battery consumption (except boost) I will see how I get on. I

Back