Fujifilm X-H1

There’s a lot of litter on that beach! Nice tonal range, George.

Thank you fellow snapper, I sure do appreciate your reply.(y)

George.

@Jonathan ..... a cracking set of photo’s. The young lady seems a good model and looks like she’s a natural at posing. I like the first picture the most.

Just a simple Fujigraph taken at Dungeness Kent UK of part of one of the many old boats and things scattered about the beach that have just been left behind to rot. I've deliberately gone for a higher contrast gritty look for this snap to emphasize the rust & decay etc.
I'm also working on a personal project called Things Left Behind and this will be one of the shots included.

X-H1, 10-24mm Lens, 1/500th @ F8, ISO-200, Handheld.
Things Left Behind (27) (Dungeness)-03284 by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

:ty: for looking., (y):fuji:

George.

I'm thinking about getting the 56mm f1.2. Does anyone have experience of both versions? Is the APD worth £100 more than the standard version?

Yes I owned a 56mm 1.2R which I was delighted with until I had a accident it went off for repair to Fuji sadly or me the courier mislaid it on its return to me :mad:.
Fuji were amazing and Assured me I would get a free replacement :D
It turned out that they didn't have stock of the R version of the lens only the APD version which they would send me at no extra cost unless I wanted to wait for new stock to arrive. Within a couple of days I received a brand new APD version.
Now if I was to be purchasing a 56mm f1.2 lens again it would be the cheaper R version that I would go for.

As this X-H1 thread seems to have perked up a bit I thought I'd contribute a snap.

Just a simple Fujigraph taken at Dungeness Kent UK of what looks like part of an old winching system beside some of the old railway lines used for hauling the boats or catch up the beach. These are just some of the many things scattered about the beach that have just been left behind. I've deliberately gone for a higher contrast gritty presentation for this snap to bring out some of the textures.
I'm also working on a personal project called Things Left Behind and this will be one of the shots included.

X-H1, 60mm F2.4 Lens, 1/480th @ F8, ISO-200 Handheld.
Things Left Behind (23) (Dungeness)-03278 by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

George.
Excellent capture George :fuji:(y)

I'm thinking about getting the 56mm f1.2. Does anyone have experience of both versions? Is the APD worth £100 more than the standard version?

Don't know if you got a 56mm yet, but recently got the APD version and while I can't do a direct comparison I do prefer the shots from the APD version. Second hand that seem to fetch £100 more which for me would be the way I would go again but wouldn't pay the new price over the standard version.

Don't know if you got a 56mm yet, but recently got the APD version and while I can't do a direct comparison I do prefer the shots from the APD version. Second hand that seem to fetch £100 more which for me would be the way I would go again but wouldn't pay the new price over the standard version.
Is it possible to quantify the difference? Bokeh? Colour rendering? Or just a feeling?

Thanks for the replies re the 56mm f1.2. In the end I bought an APD version and then shortly afterwards decided to swap systems so haven't gor around to using it. :(

On that note, I have all my Fuji X gear for sale in the classifieds in case anyone is looking for a bargain or two! :)

Just a simple Fujigraph taken at Dungeness Kent UK of part of one of the many old boats and things scattered about the beach that have just been left behind to rot. I've deliberately gone for a higher contrast gritty look for this snap to emphasize the rust & decay etc.

X-H1, 10-24mm Lens, 1/500th @ F8, ISO-200, Handheld.
Things Left Behind (27) (Dungeness)-03284 by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

George.
Another excellent piece of work and a good addition to your project George

Is it possible to quantify the difference? Bokeh? Colour rendering? Or just a feeling?

It's all about the bokeh really. The filter within the lens allows for a creamier, softer out of focus area. It's not hugely noticeable and comes at the cost of slower focus performanc and it loses a stop of light gathering due to the filter inside.

This is worth a read if considering buying the 56mm f1.2 lens

https://www.fujivsfuji.com/56mm-f1pt2-vs-apd/

I have found this to be true in low light
AUTOFOCUS

The biggest compromise in choosing the APD is the loss of Phase Detect AF. In good light, it isn’t terribly noticeable. Move into poor light though, and you could easily find your APD hunting, pushing past focus, and then dragging itself through its focus range before finding the area of most contrast. I’ve missed a few genuine expressions already waiting for the APD to acquire focus.
In good light, in the studio or in prefocused situations, this simply does not matter, so what it will come down to is whether or not the difference in bokeh that the APD makes is worth the price premium, our third and final compromise.

Last edited:
Another excellent piece of work and a good addition to your project George

Thank you fellow snapper, I sure do appreciate your reply.(y)

George.

It's all about the bokeh really. The filter within the lens allows for a creamier, softer out of focus area. It's not hugely noticeable and comes at the cost of slower focus performanc and it loses a stop of light gathering due to the filter inside.
This is worth a read if considering buying the 56mm f1.2 lens

https://www.fujivsfuji.com/56mm-f1pt2-vs-apd/

I have found this to be true in low light
AUTOFOCUS

The biggest compromise in choosing the APD is the loss of Phase Detect AF. In good light, it isn’t terribly noticeable. Move into poor light though, and you could easily find your APD hunting, pushing past focus, and then dragging itself through its focus range before finding the area of most contrast. I’ve missed a few genuine expressions already waiting for the APD to acquire focus.
In good light, in the studio or in prefocused situations, this simply does not matter, so what it will come down to is whether or not the difference in bokeh that the APD makes is worth the price premium, our third and final compromise.

As above to me its one of those its a job to see the difference but when you do you notice, its is subtle and has to be expected the higher the aperture the less the affect.
You actually lose less light the higher the aperture as well.
As far as I can recall I found the focus of the APD on the H1 & the T3 to be no slower to the non APD version in low light, but I was using the standard one on a T2 and my memory could well be wrong.

Just a simple landscape type Fujigraph taken at Dungeness Kent UK of some of the things scattered about the beach that have just been left behind. In the centre you can see one of the old fisherman's huts, and running past it one of the old railway lines that were used for hauling the boats or catch up the beach.

X-H1, 18-55mm Lens, 1/500th @ F8, ISO-200, Handheld.

Dungeness Landscape (4)-03277
by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

George.

Hi X-H1 users

What's the real story with battery life for the X-H1 for stills photography? Are you using the older non-'S' batteries OK?

Thanks
Lee

Hi X-H1 users

What's the real story with battery life for the X-H1 for stills photography? Are you using the older non-'S' batteries OK?

Thanks
Lee

I only used mine for stills. Older batteries work fine although you may get a warning on screen about battery life.

Just got hold of an XH1...Anyone else find the touch screen a bit of a pain? accidentally activating functions and what have you. (Have switched mine off for now.)

Yep, switched it off.

Back