Fujifilm X-H1

Just a snippet of Irish summer weather:
Hail, June 2019 by K G, on Flickr

And another cat! :D This one's not even mine, a stray that started following me while I was helping out with some garden work, looked so cosy when it lay down to lap up the few minutes of sun we got that day
Stray comforts by K G, on Flickr

X-H1 + 35 F2 for both

Two very nice images, love the cat one.

Jumped on a deal on the 16-55 2.8 on MPB this morn, been trying to choose between that and the 16 1.4 or 23 1.4 but couldn't pass up on this deal, excellent condition, £225 off! :O

Just hope this guy supposed to be calling later buys my 35F2 now or it might feel a bit redundant

They have a few other knock downs atm, £60 off a like new 16 1.4 for example if anyone's on the lookout

Just saw there's a 56 1.2 on there too with £175 off in excellent condition! If I had the money I'd grab that too! :D

Last edited:
Just got my 16-55, and I am very impressed. I didn't expect to be overly so as I've had 24-70 2.8 lenses on various cameras but this one is right up there. It screams 'pro' grade, don't know if I've had a zoom that was this smooth. It is also like new so really pleased on the condition too. Should have fun with this.

Just got my 16-55, and I am very impressed. I didn't expect to be overly so as I've had 24-70 2.8 lenses on various cameras but this one is right up there. It screams 'pro' grade, don't know if I've had a zoom that was this smooth. It is also like new so really pleased on the condition too. Should have fun with this.

That’s a positive “RESULT” in my book, congrat’s “ENJOY”.

George.

That’s a positive “RESULT” in my book, congrat’s “ENJOY”.

George.

It's a fantastic lens George, thanks. It's got me thinking though! [Will I ever stop?] would I prefer the 16mm 1.4 + something like the 50 F2, or this all in one soloution? It's a bit of a beast on the XH1 and I just discovered it won't fit in my smaller camera bag attached to the camera :ROFLMAO: - luckily I have 2 more bags it will fit in but I'd rather something more specific, those bags are from my FF days. it's also the first lens that really has me wanting a new camera strap in quite a while, I usually go Commando on that front :D

I bought it for a couple different reasons, well one being I heard nothing but good things about it and it seems to be very true from my limited testing today - but also, to see what FL I might prefer for primes for the XH1, as the widest I've had so far was the 35 F2 this time out. I think I would find 16mm a bit restrictive as a main, but with the 35 or a 50F2 I could go with that!

The 16-55 reminds me most of the very fine Olympus 12-40 2.8 for M43 which I had not long ago, bar the clutch mechanism that lens has [like the Fuji 16 1.4] and the Olympus has better magnification for close ups. The Fuji is better built, larger, heavier but feels more 'pro' grade for want of better terms. It is a bit of a heavier and bulky combination than I expected, that'll teach me to better check specs, but it might well grow on me.

How could I forget! My initial obligatory cat tester!

Curious Hover by K G, on Flickr

Yes that is a real Hoverfly - and I definitely would have missed this with many other lenses, it landed for a split second, this lens is lightening fast for AF

Also, I have found that on the X-H1 1/3 sec is a cinch at 16mm, that could prove very useful in time

Last edited:
I have decided to keep the 16-55, it is such a great zoom really nice to handle. I've sold my 35 F2 and that will now be the starter fund for the 90mm :) I think hat would be a killer combination. I still have the fringer adapter to play with Canon lenses whenever I fancy too

Last edited:
I have decided to keep the 16-55, it is such a great zoom really nice to handle. I've sold my 35 F2 and that will now be the starter fund for the 90mm :) I think hat would be a killer combination. I still have the fringer adapter to play with Canon lenses whenever I fancy too

Glad you are enjoying your 16-55, hope to pick mine up tomorrow. I traded my 50mm in for it as I have the 50-140mm and my mate is using my 56mm at the moment as don`t use that one.

It's a fantastic lens George, thanks. It's got me thinking though! [Will I ever stop?] would I prefer the 16mm 1.4 + something like the 50 F2, or this all in one soloution? It's a bit of a beast on the XH1 and I just discovered it won't fit in my smaller camera bag attached to the camera :ROFLMAO: - luckily I have 2 more bags it will fit in but I'd rather something more specific, those bags are from my FF days. it's also the first lens that really has me wanting a new camera strap in quite a while, I usually go Commando on that front :D

I bought it for a couple different reasons, well one being I heard nothing but good things about it and it seems to be very true from my limited testing today - but also, to see what FL I might prefer for primes for the XH1, as the widest I've had so far was the 35 F2 this time out. I think I would find 16mm a bit restrictive as a main, but with the 35 or a 50F2 I could go with that!

The 16-55 reminds me most of the very fine Olympus 12-40 2.8 for M43 which I had not long ago, bar the clutch mechanism that lens has [like the Fuji 16 1.4] and the Olympus has better magnification for close ups. The Fuji is better built, larger, heavier but feels more 'pro' grade for want of better terms. It is a bit of a heavier and bulky combination than I expected, that'll teach me to better check specs, but it might well grow on me.

How could I forget! My initial obligatory cat tester!

Curious Hover by K G, on Flickr

Yes that is a real Hoverfly - and I definitely would have missed this with many other lenses, it landed for a split second, this lens is lightening fast for AF

Also, I have found that on the X-H1 1/3 sec is a cinch at 16mm, that could prove very useful in time

Love this shot, and the look on your cats face is a classic.

Love this shot, and the look on your cats face is a classic.

She ends up in so many of my pics because she follows me anytime I go to the garden to take some pics, she often scares off my macro subjects though.

You will love the 16-55, should be really nice for your music gig photography. It's no light weight though, takes a little adjusting to after using smaller primes. So beautifully built

Last edited:
She ends up in so many of my pics because she follows me anytime I go to the garden to take some pics, she often scares off my macro subjects though.

You will love the 16-55, should be really nice for your music gig photography. It's no light weight though, takes a little adjusting to after using smaller primes. So beautifully built

I don`t think the weight will be an issue, as my XF50-140mm is heavier. I do look forward to using it at the gigs though as imo it will be bang on.

I don`t think the weight will be an issue, as my XF50-140mm is heavier. I do look forward to using it at the gigs though as imo it will be bang on.

It's not a very heavy lens or anything, your average fast tele lens will be heftier but you're not as likely to be using them as regularly. In comparison to the small primes you'd certainly know you're holding it after a while. I think I'll get me a new strap, it'll be the first time using one in about 2 years

Still waiting on my 16-55mm, just phoned jessops and said if it`s not in tomorrow forget it.

Yeah I did delve into the menus when I got home and the mic was set to zero. I also forgot to set the auto focus from the default to one if the settings for fast moving objects. I might have gotten a better hit rate with the action shots. You live and learn lol

Both are now with me as at long last Jessops phoned, turns out their delivery lot are not good. Love how small the XF16-55mm is.

I swear you're the first person I've heard call that lens small :D It felt a bit bulky to me when I first got hold of it, but this might well be because the 12-40 2.8 Olympus I had not long ago was about half the size and weight. The only thing I wish the 16-55 did better was close focusing, but that's because of how I like to shoot, I almost went for the 16 1.4, not saying never on that one either! other than that it is excellent all-round, works really well on the XH1.

I swear you're the first person I've heard call that lens small :D It felt a bit bulky to me when I first got hold of it, but this might well be because the 12-40 2.8 Olympus I had not long ago was about half the size and weight. The only thing I wish the 16-55 did better was close focusing, but that's because of how I like to shoot, I almost went for the 16 1.4, not saying never on that one either! other than that it is excellent all-round, works really well on the XH1.

Agree it is a weight, but look forward to trying it out and also using the little Sony RX100 III.

Agree it is a weight, but look forward to trying it out and also using the little Sony RX100 III.

I haven't had the time to really give it a proper testing out, it's also been crap weather over here for the past week. It's great that the lens and body are both WR, but I'm not :D

Back