Fujifilm XF 100-400

Name
Jim
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

I'm thinking I might quite fancy the Fujifilm XF 100-400 lens (possibly with the 1.4 TC) as i've been out with my XC 50-230 and have really enjoyed phitographing birds (to go on my X-Pro2). So the question is, is the lens worth the hefty price tag and will it give me enough reach? And finally, if anyone is thinking of selling one I may be interested.

cheers all,

happy new year and stay safe.

Not thinking of selling mine but I do have one which lives on my X-T 2 with a 1,4x teleconverter between the two. IMO it's worth the price tag (or was when I bought them as a pair - IIRC the converter cost an extra £50 as part of a deal). 560mm should be enough reach on a 1.5x crop body - well, it is for me!

If you can wait a while (until the current restrictions are relaxed enough for strangers to meet!), you're welcome to have a play - the hide a bit up the Otter is a good place for the combo.

Not thinking of selling mine but I do have one which lives on my X-T 2 with a 1,4x teleconverter between the two. IMO it's worth the price tag (or was when I bought them as a pair - IIRC the converter cost an extra £50 as part of a deal). 560mm should be enough reach on a 1.5x crop body - well, it is for me!

If you can wait a while (until the current restrictions are relaxed enough for strangers to meet!), you're welcome to have a play - the hide a bit up the Otter is a good place for the combo.

Brilliant, thanks for the info Nod. There are some deals on at the moment but the offer of having a try is very kind. Do you find it fast enough for birds/wildlife with the TC on it?

Received mine just before Xmas, but been limited in using it, as I haven’t been able to walk.
Impressions are very good though. Very sharp, the IS is very good.
Reach is good, but I would like the 1.4tc at some point.
I had a few focus issues at first, but it was camera setup rather than the lens. I’ve never delved into the xt3 focus settings before, so took a bit of trial and error to get it where I wanted it.

Couple from my garden

And the focusing can now keep up with a spaniel doing lightspeed. 30fps electronic shutter and 90% were in focus.

I have the same as NOD, XT2 with 100-400 and 1.4tc.
I used to have a Canon 5d2 and 100-400L.

The Fuji is sharper and overall better than the L glass, I have two XT's and one always has the 100-400 and 1.4 on it. I have resident foxes in my area and they are my passion to photograph.

The lens combination focuses quickly and is accurate every time. I've also photographed the moon many times and always get some good shots.

In September of 2019 I had a serious house fire and lost all my camera kit. I had the choice to go back to Canon but stuck with Fuji because in my opinion I was getting better shots.

View: https://flic.kr/p/2jkSGCc

Last edited:
Received mine just before Xmas, but been limited in using it, as I haven’t been able to walk.
Impressions are very good though. Very sharp, the IS is very good.
Reach is good, but I would like the 1.4tc at some point.
I had a few focus issues at first, but it was camera setup rather than the lens. I’ve never delved into the xt3 focus settings before, so took a bit of trial and error to get it where I wanted it.

Couple from my garden

And the focusing can now keep up with a spaniel doing lightspeed. 30fps electronic shutter and 90% were in focus.
I have the same as NOD, XT2 with 100-400 and 1.4tc.
I used to have a Canon 5d2 and 100-400L.

The Fuji is sharper and overall better than the L glass, I have two XT's and one always has the 100-400 and 1.4 on it. I have resident foxes in my area and they are my passion to photograph.

The lens combination focuses quickly and is accurate every time. I've also photographed the moon many times and always get some good shots.

In September of 2019 I had a serious house fire and lost all my camera kit. I had the choice to go back to Canon but stuck with Fuji because in my opinion I was getting better shots.

Thanks both, very useful.

yes its worth it if your going to use it regularly,

no reach is ever enough for small birds, frustrating

Brilliant, thanks for the info Nod. There are some deals on at the moment but the offer of having a try is very kind. Do you find it fast enough for birds/wildlife with the TC on it?

Not a huge bird/wildlife shooter, especially on BiF but for relatively slow moving stuff, it's fine, especially if you bump the ISO up a bit. I reckon some time spent on setting the camera up for it would see it working well on BiF.

I used to have one - used it with my X-T2 - nice lens

Here's a bald eagle photographed with it and the 1.4 extender - they work well together.

Bald Eagle by David Young, on Flickr

That's great, many thanks. Fantastic image by the way!

I just need someone to sell me one now, haha.

Don't bother with a 2x converter to put behind it, cropping into a 1.4x image gives sharper results. The 1.4x is a very good partner to it though.

Don't bother with a 2x converter to put behind it, cropping into a 1.4x image gives sharper results. The 1.4x is a very good partner to it though.

I've managed to find a 1.4x on eBay for a very good price, so that is on it's way (along with a Lee hood) ;) just need the big beast now.

Be aware that like Nikons, the Fuji teleconverters don't fit all lenses - the front element of the converter makes contact with the rear element of the lens. Pretty sure there's a compatibility chart/list somewhere.

Be aware that like Nikons, the Fuji teleconverters don't fit all lenses - the front element of the converter makes contact with the rear element of the lens. Pretty sure there's a compatibility chart/list somewhere.

Yes, it's pretty much the 100-400 and 1 other lens, so i've bought it as it was a really good price in anticipation of getting the 100-400.

I've managed to find a 1.4x on eBay for a very good price, so that is on it's way (along with a Lee hood) ;) just need the big beast now.

How much out of interest? All seem to be around £200 when I’ve looked.

I have the lens (grey import) and the 1.4tc (used ebay) and love them. Although I more often than not don't bother with the tc.

I'm very much a beginner at wildlife, but heres a selection from the last few months since I got it. All taken handheld with the X-H1

Kingfisher front
by Chris Gash, on Flickr

Kingfisher back
by Chris Gash, on Flickr

Stag2
by Chris Gash, on Flickr

Red Squirrel 3
by Chris Gash, on Flickr

Stag moor
by Chris Gash, on Flickr

Heron 1
by Chris Gash, on Flickr

Robin
by Chris Gash, on Flickr

bird
by Chris Gash, on Flickr

Well, it was less than £200 for the 1.4

I have the lens (grey import) and the 1.4tc (used ebay) and love them. Although I more often than not don't bother with the tc.

I'm very much a beginner at wildlife, but heres a selection from the last few months since I got it. All taken handheld with the X-H1

Lovely images, many thanks for sharing

Have a look here, most of these have been taken on the 100-400, some with the 1.4TC, and with a mix of X-T2 & T3 bodies.

Have a look here, most of these have been taken on the 100-400, some with the 1.4TC, and with a mix of X-T2 & T3 bodies.

Thanks, will do.

Sorry to have been a bit vague previously, I just hadn't received the items so didn't want to jinx the deal. I got the 1.4TC and a Lee 100 system (the older style, not the brand new one) wide angle hood, both of which are in original boxes and like brand new, for £200 including postage - I think i've got an absolute bargain here myself.

So, I bit the bullet and now have an XF100-400 sat in my camera backpack. Hopefully the weather will be better this wekend and I can take it out on my daily exercise and try and grab some bird/wildlife images :D

So, I bit the bullet and now have an XF100-400 sat in my camera backpack. Hopefully the weather will be better this wekend and I can take it out on my daily exercise and try and grab some bird/wildlife images :D
I came so close to offering you mine, which doesn't get much use, but when it does it is such a good lens. Hope you enjoy it !

I came so close to offering you mine, which doesn't get much use, but when it does it is such a good lens. Hope you enjoy it !

Cheers, and I would have bought it (I paid £1100 for this one).

I'd have sold you mine for 2,999.99 - delivered!

Enjoy the lens.

Well, it was a little brighter this afternoon so I managed to grab a fw images of a robin on my bird feeder. This is probably the best of the bunch (I know the composition leaves a lot to be desired, I was just trying out the lens) - I realise I have a lot to learn in using this lens and how to set the camera up. This was taken with the 1.4 x TC attached, so at 560mm

Last edited:
Well, it was a little brighter this afternoon so I managed to grab a fw images of a robin on my bird feeder. This is probably the best of the bunch (I know the composition leaves a lot to be desired, I was just trying out the lens) - I realise I have a lot to learn in using this lens and how to set the camera up. This was taken with the 1.4 x TC attached, so at 560mm

Flikr says that was f8 1/80th Iso 400 was that handheld?

Can't answer for certain but can say that it probably was. The image stabilisation in the lens is very good - 3-4 stops worth at a rough estimate, possibly more so 1/80th at 560mm is well within its capabilities, even with my hands! The only problem with going that slow is usually subject movement, especially with small birds.

Reactions: Nod
thats impressive, i have been trying to maintain 1/400th handheld with the corresponding issue of ISO north of 3200 to try and keep images sharp. need to experiment more.

I've shot down to 1/100th successfully, but prefer to stay above 1/160th, but that's without the TC. Using that I'd try to go even higher.

thats impressive, i have been trying to maintain 1/400th handheld with the corresponding issue of ISO north of 3200 to try and keep images sharp. need to experiment more.
I've shot down to 1/100th successfully, but prefer to stay above 1/160th, but that's without the TC. Using that I'd try to go even higher.

Fortunately the robin just happened to stay very still for that moment

Hey,

I got myself a XF70-300 to upgrade from a XF55-200, but I'm strating to think I did the wrong move D:

those captures are awesome btw, congratulation on the exploration !

You can use the TC 1.4x with the 70-300, this will give you 420mm at least, and one advantage you do have is the close up feature on that lens, it'll get you down to 0.33x magnification where the 100-400 only manages 0.19x = so the better lens for closer in photography

Hey,

I got myself a XF70-300 to upgrade from a XF55-200, but I'm strating to think I did the wrong move D:

those captures are awesome btw, congratulation on the exploration !
Do you still have your 55-200?
I'm not sure what to do - I've got a 40-150 and a 100-400 that get so little use that I may sell one or other, and get either a 70-300 or a 55-200 so keep me in mind if you do and want to sell, obviously via the classifieds..!

Up to about 150/175mm, the 55-200 is sharper than the 100-400 (IMO) but after that, the longer lens takes over. Not used the 40-150 so can't comment (I use the 18-135).

Back