full frame choice

Edit My Images
No
hi, i have d3200 at the moment and thinking of buying a full frame now. i was thinking of either d600, d700 or d800. i need suggestions please...

hi, i have d3200 at the moment and thinking of buying a full frame now. i was thinking of either d600, d700 or d800. i need suggestions please...

Well, any of the 3 models you mention would meet your requirements... Then there's the D3, D3S, D3X and D4. That's assuming you want to stick with Nikon.

thanks, yes i would like to stay with nikon because i have bough a few lenses. Do u recommend sticking to nikon or any other maker? sorry, i am new to photographic world thats why...

Def go for the D800, I just have and its mind blowing what it can do. Only this evening I have just started trying out the video and it is really good.

Expensive? yes but coming from the D300 there is no comparison. I know my way around a lot of the settings but there are more than enough to play with. If you intend doing video with it get a CN-160 video light as a flash gun is no good for video work.

something like this
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5400K-CN-...Canon-Nikon-DV-Camcorder-Filter-/350711772709

i did get a couple of Sony batteries for it as well AA batts don't last that long but it suprised me how much light it gives out

Link to my first bird attempt and the crop factor well check it out for yourself

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=5608107#post5608107

Last edited:
thanks, yes i would like to stay with nikon because i have bough a few lenses. Do u recommend sticking to nikon or any other maker? sorry, i am new to photographic world thats why...

If you've already invested in Nikon lenses and you're happy with the Nikon approach to handling, menus and buttons then it might be worth you sticking with Nikon.

Really need to know more about what you shoot and what your budget is. For example, if you've no interest in video then you might get more value from a used D700.

Sorry if it sounds daft but are your lenses FF compatible?

What lenses have you bought? Will they be compatible?

I know I'll get panned for this, but what do you think you will gain from going Full Frame?:thinking:

By your own admission you have very little experience, the camera is almost certainly not the weakest link in your photographs (it'll be you ;)).

Don't take that personally, I don't have the greatest gear, and I have close to 30 years shooting behind me, and I'm the weakest link in my kit.

It's your money, and you might have a bottomless pit of it for all I know, but going from not understanding a filter size to needing a full frame camera in less than a month? My advice would be some training and then maybe some photographic trips out to get some use out of your current gear if you really want to spend some money.

Of course there are plenty of people who have photography as a hobby for whom the gear is far more important than using it - if you're joining that club, you'd better get a D800 because if you get anything else, you'll only end up upgrading when you realise you didn't get 'the best':D

What Phil said!

If you think going full frame is going to get you better pictures straight off the bat, I can assure you it won't. In fact it'll likely do the opposite as most fx cameras are geared towards professional photographers who know how to use and set up a camera without any guidance.
You won't find any auto scene modes to help you ( apart from on the d600). Plus a full frame camera exposes any flaws in lenses or technique much more than a DX camera.

There are many pros who struggled with the d800 at first as its huge resolution out performed many lenses and also outperformed their ability to handhold and critically focus.

But like Phil said, its your money, just don't expect to suddenly become a master of photography because you have a fx camera.

What lenses have you bought? Will they be compatible?

I know I'll get panned for this, but what do you think you will gain from going Full Frame?:thinking:

By your own admission you have very little experience, the camera is almost certainly not the weakest link in your photographs (it'll be you ;)).

Don't take that personally, I don't have the greatest gear, and I have close to 30 years shooting behind me, and I'm the weakest link in my kit.

It's your money, and you might have a bottomless pit of it for all I know, but going from not understanding a filter size to needing a full frame camera in less than a month? My advice would be some training and then maybe some photographic trips out to get some use out of your current gear if you really want to spend some money.

Of course there are plenty of people who have photography as a hobby for whom the gear is far more important than using it - if you're joining that club, you'd better get a D800 because if you get anything else, you'll only end up upgrading when you realise you didn't get 'the best':D

That is a fact.
I would support the advice in this post. And a whole new level of expense will unfold if you get the idea in your head that you should change to another brand.

Out of the 3 camera you mention i would go for D800 if you want to use your money on a FF camera.

Personally i would advise you not to buy any until you know what you doing with your current camera and kit before upgrading.

Like many have mention, what lens have you got? high chances are most of your current lens will not compatible on a FF camera. So therefore you have to spend X amount of money to invest on a lens. To save you asking the question about what FF lens to buy, just buy the holy trinity lens. Which is 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 and 14-24 f2.8. IF thats not enough, grab the 35mm, 50mm, 85mm f1.4 etc .........

I agree FF camera is better but i can get the shots I want on a DX camera or i work around on the equipment i got.

It depends on what you are going to use the camera for and how big you are intending to print as well I imagine as well as the lenses that you have at the moment.

If you have to get a full frame camera I would probably go for the D800, (as the D3200 is already a 24 megapixel camera and does video as far as I am aware) but if it was me I would put the money towards lenses first as you will get better results with good lenses on an older body than bad lenses on a better body.

(It took me 4 years to work up to a full frame camera and my photos are still just as rubbish as they were before.)

thanks all for your honest opinions and i do acknowledge all your efforts in taking time out and replying to my thread.

@phil: I acknowledge that my "less than one month" experience with cameras leaves me in no position to say that a full frame will fetch me better results. I have tried to take landscape pictures on my 50mm 1.4f and all i noticed was bright and white pictures. i tried different settings such as reducing the shutter speed (if that too much light exposure was the reason for white pictures)but the results were still not what i expected. I don't know if it wasn't the right lens for landscape photography and surely your 30 years photography experience will teach me many things. My bottomless pit of money (my husband) suggested full frame if i wanted better results. The lenses i have bought so far are 24-700mm 2.8f and a 50mm 1.4f.

@Nawty: yes i bought lenses that are FF compatible

@digitalRelish: thanks, am already thinking of either buying an old d700 or new d600...makes sense

@realspeed: thanks for a much straight forward reply. I would prefer video option in a camera and have looked at your suggestion on the link.

You mention about landscape but having FF will not massively improve your image quality since you will shoot in low ISO i presume. Advantage of FF sensor is the noise when shooting very high ISO.

When you mention you shoot landscape with your 50mm f1.4, what setting did you use? over expose image could be anything from high iso, wide open aperture to shutter speed.

i.e shooting at f1.4 with high iso and slow shutter speed in bright day can result you with ........ result.

In terms of buying a FF camera, your money your decision. I would go for used D700 personally simply because the camera is better balance then the d600 when using big lens like 24-70 and 70-200 etc.

If you want a FF camera but small and light weight then the D600 is the right one. Then again you get what you paid for on the D600. The D600 build like the D7000/7100 so is not as robust as the D700/D800 etc.

There is no reason whatsoever a 50mm lens can't be used for landscapes.

Can you post an image you're not happy with?

edit:

For what it's worth my main camera is a D700 and I've just bought a D3200 to use as a lighter weight alternative - I don't really expect to see much difference in my images between the two for the majority of my shooting.

Last edited:
thanks all for your honest opinions and i do acknowledge all your efforts in taking time out and replying to my thread.

@phil: I acknowledge that my "less than one month" experience with cameras leaves me in no position to say that a full frame will fetch me better results. I have tried to take landscape pictures on my 50mm 1.4f and all i noticed was bright and white pictures. i tried different settings such as reducing the shutter speed (if that too much light exposure was the reason for white pictures)but the results were still not what i expected. I don't know if it wasn't the right lens for landscape photography and surely your 30 years photography experience will teach me many things. My bottomless pit of money (my husband) suggested full frame if i wanted better results. The lenses i have bought so far are 24-700mm 2.8f and a 50mm 1.4f.

@digitalRelish: thanks, am already thinking of either buying an old d700 or new d600...makes sense

@realspeed: thanks for a much straight forward reply. I would prefer video option in a camera and have looked at your suggestion on the link.

Im no expert far from it and this is not meant in any sarcastic and derogatory way. But if you cant get a correctly exposed picture on a 3200 then surely you will have the same results on a full frame camera. As I said it was not meant in any other way than a constructive question.
I would personally continue to practice with what you have as im sure if you search Flickr and other sites you will see what your camera is capable off with a bit of practice and knowledge.

Just my opinion but, you should not buy a ff until you can really handle the crop you have, 6 months to a year if not longer, shooting everything you can in every setting, even Auto can teach you lots
I have both a crop and FF, I use the crop most of the time

H

Last edited:
I personally think their is a big mis-understanding about FF camera and DX camera (nikon term). Many fail to understand the real differents between FF and DX. Many people tends to fall on buying the most exepnsive equipment will make them a master.

I play in a band and i see many beginner tend to think if i buy the most expensive guitar it will make them play like their idol............. at the end you still the same old you ......

OP at the stage you are at, all a FF camera will do is make your wallet significantly lighter.

You are far better off posting a couple of pictures here including the EXIF information and some of the more experienced photographers would be happy to tell you what you could improve upon.

The D3200 sensor is no slouch at all and absolutely no reason at all it can't take breathtaking photos.

At a guess, i am going to say your ISO or aperture were not set correctly for the scene. But it's a guess.

The reason your pictures are over exposed is... user error*. It's what I guessed at and why I mentioned my years of experience:shake:.

It wasn't to boast about being wise, it as the opposite:(, I've been shooting a very long time and the weakest link in my equipment is still me:bonk:.

Read Pookeyheads exposure tutorial here, buy 'Understanding Exposure' by Brian Patterson, and read it twice. Then once that's sunk in, read the Luminous Landscape article on 'exposing to the right'.

There's no such thing as a landscape lens, in the same way as there's no such thing as a portrait lens. But 50mm on a crop is on the long side for landscapes, where you often want to take in a large vista, for this even the short end of your zoom will struggle. That's the downside of listening to the gearheads and buying FF ready lenses for a crop camera. If you're really interested in landscapes, buy an ultra wide zoom and some filters. A FF camera will get you a 2% increase in image quality in good conditions and a bit more in lousy conditions. It won't make it easier for you to expose properly, nor will a different lens (whether wider/sharper/longer/faster).

Nothing will improve your photography like slowing down and learning. I've met people who've taken fantastic pictures after only a few months of dedicated learning, but I know many more who've been shooting for >20years, who've never taken a 'great' picture.

*there's also the possibility that the camera or lens is faulty, if all your shots are over exposed in all modes

Only spend money when you feel you are restricted by your gear.

I had a D3100, great little camera and I used it quite a lot, only until after 6 months or so, I feel there is more to be gained from a more professional body with 2 dials, a top LCD and bigger view finder. By that time, I have understood all the technical details of getting a well exposed picture, but feel restricted by my equipment.

Stick with your D3200 for now, learn about exposure and how to get a good picture before thinking about spending more money. Stick with Nikon if possible, the 24-70 f2.8 is a very good and expensive investment.

As per other replies, I would agree and stick with your d3200. As you're only new to photography for a month this is the ideal camera. Learn your camera inside out, invest in a good book instead of a new ff camera, use the net to learn, use this forum. Once you have mastered your camera and are comfortable with the basics of photography and you feel your camera is restricting you somehow, then it might be worth upgrading.

I would hate someone to spend a few thousand on a top ff camera and find that there is no improvement on the pictures. Give it time, I'm sure all photographers have been in the same situation in being frustrated with their pictures.

I've been through that before but not spend quite as much. My first DSLR was a Nikon D5000 with kit lens plus a 35mm f1.8. Didn't shot any good photos to be honest and decided i needed a different lens because my friend had a canon 70-200 f2.8 IS and he took some good shots with that. So i went ahead and bought a sigma 70-200 f2.8 altho the lens is decent but it didn't improve anything ..... (nothing to do with the lens). Some how i blame it on the camera and went ahead and bought a D7000. First try on my D7000 was good and bad because the camera feels good but the bad thing is it still didn't improve anything.

Now i've learn quite alot after shooting with the D7000 and i added more lens and another body to support my shooting.

Durrani I'm not a Nikon user but it sounds like you have some quite nice lenses so should be able to get some decent results. I agree with the other posts here that you are best really getting to know your current set up and move on when you feel your equipment is limiting some aspect of your photography.

If your pictures are coming out too light then you need to adjust your settings. This can be one of three things.

1. Shutter speed - you need to let less light in, so increase the shutter speed, not reduce it to make the photo darker. e.g. change from 1/100s to 1/200s

2. Aperture - using a bigger f/number will reduce the size of the aperture. A smaller aperture will let less light in and the photo will be darker e.g. change from f/4 to f/8

3. ISO - make the sensor less sensitive to light e.g. change from ISO 400 to ISO 100

Another important factor for any photo is the depth of field. For a landscape you will want a large depth of field where as much of the photo is in focus as possible. If you have been using your lens at f/1.4 you will have discovered that not much of your photo is in focus. Landscape photographers tend to use large f numbers i.e. smaller apertures.

Apologies if you know all of this already. If you have tried all of these, perhaps your camera is faulty?

There is a lot to learn, and I am learning all the time which is why I love it.
Enjoy it :)

Don't waste your money buy a D7100 unless you are doing low light photography.FF is over rated something rotten I have a D3s gathering dust UNTIL it gets dark.:puke:

I say if you have the money then go for it! I changed from a t3i to 6D within a month and find it to be far more enjoyable even tho I am new to the game. Yes, it's not going to make a big difference if you can't set it correctly. But overall focus speed,lowlight and build quality will make a difference.

But overall focus speed,lowlight and build quality will make a difference.

Not to an over-expsoed shot it won't. All you are going to get is an overexposed shot with slightly better IQ in the areas of the shot that survived.

But you are right in that if you have the money and it makes you feel better then who are we to say what to buy. Just don't expect it to actually make any difference to shots that have very basic errors in them.

Not to an over-expsoed shot it won't. All you are going to get is an overexposed shot with slightly better IQ in the areas of the shot that survived.

But you are right in that if you have the money and it makes you feel better then who are we to say what to buy. Just don't expect it to actually make any difference to shots that have very basic errors in them.

If you had read my whole post thats exactly what I just said.... Perhaps I should have worded it better. :p

Last edited:
Just wondering what the benefit of focus speed and build quality would make a difference to when the issue seems to be with the ability to use any camera, that's all.

OP could maybe borrow a full frame camera to see that the results would be the same?

Just wondering what the benefit of focus speed and build quality would make a difference to when the issue seems to be with the ability to use any camera, that's all.

OP could maybe borrow a full frame camera to see that the results would be the same?

Given the age of the thread, maybe the OP has spent a lot of time practicing/learning and has now got exposure nailed and is ready to buy FF.

Or maybe she's decided she'll never get it and is now spending her evenings on 'Talk Cupcakes':shrug:

Given the age of the thread, maybe the OP has spent a lot of time practicing/learning and has now got exposure nailed and is ready to buy FF.

Or maybe she's decided she'll never get it and is now spending her evenings on 'Talk Cupcakes':shrug:

Maybe she ignore us and spend couple of thousands pounds on a FF camera already lol.

Perhaps they didn't like the responses and thought we were going to tell them how to waste lots of money for no apparent reason

Back